Limitations of Android, IOS and other devices as compared to WP, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You know that they are still selling iPhone 4, right? That gives them no right to remove support for it. Samsung focus and dell venue pro are older than iPhone 4. Both got 7.8 in 2013. Difference is-both the WP stopped production 3 years ago, the iPhone didn't.

I don't need a **** brightness slider, I have an ambient light sensor that is far better. And this is the reason why older Lumias didn't get it, they already have an ambient light sensor.

Continuous autofocus is not present in all Android devices so how can your expect the same from WP?

Answer this question-Can my 75 year old grandfather custom root, flash and download firmware from xda just to update his device? No. But he doesn't have to do anything on his Lumia 520, which updates itself automatically, and will be supported until 2017.

Show me proof that my device won't be supported until 2017. MS has already committed to this and said that the kernel difference can't happen again, even if wished too. And they cant afford to lose their current market share and start from 0% again by not supporting the Lumia 520. If you have any significant proof/as to why this won't happen, please share it with us.

I don't need notification led, I have glance which is far better, and also shows the time, unlike a notification led. The HTC one m8 for Windows also sports a dot view case. With such better solutions, who needs notification leds like those old blackberries?

I've used the Android app, and the WP one feels and performs much better, but that is just me. Others may have a different opinion.

Yes, it can do all the above things along with nfc tags.

Take two phones. Nokia Lumia 1520 and galaxy note 3. Both of them are password protected, screen is off.
To take a picture with the note,
1)I have to hit the power button,
2)type in my password,
3)press enter, the phone gets unlocked,
4)then I tap on the camera application, it opens the camera and
5) I tap the button,it focuses, and takes a picture.

With the 1520,
1)I press the camera button, the app opens
2) I press the camera button again, it focuses and takes the pic, without me touching the screen. Tell me honestly, Which is faster?
Even if you use the lock screen shortcut in Android, you have to type your password.

Dude you seriously have no idea what you are talking about, you constantly make excuses about Windows Phone.

iPhone 4 isn't sold anymore, it launched in 2010 and was discontinued in 2013 and in that period it got iOS 5, 6, AND EVEN 7!!!

It didn't get some iOS 6.8 because it had a single core processor, it got the whole iOS 7 treatment, Apple even went out of their way to optimize iOS 7 for the iPhone 4.

When I said 620 didn't have continuous focus I wasn't comparing it to Android, I mentioned it for your previous argument where you said iPhone 4 didn't get all the features.

iPhone 4 got HDR, burst mode, continuous focus, a brightness slider, and a lot more.

Nokia didn't give continuous focus to any of their devices other than the newer Snapdragon 800 range, most of us didn't even get a brightness slider. Living images we're also not given out to capable devices. So don't talk **** about how iOS doesn't give all features when Windows Phone doesn't either.

Ambient light sensor is no excuse for not giving a brightness slider, in certain situations the ambient light sensor doesn't accurately work and you need a brightness slides. There are many other uses for brightness sliders as well, there is no excuse for not giving this option but then again you can make all the excuses you want for Windows Phones.

Why would your 75 year old grandfather want a smartphone? And even if he did he wouldn't care about updates as much as we do. He can't root but he doesn't want to update either. Updates aren't done automatically.

Like I've said before Lumia 520 will NOT be supported till 2017, Windows Phone 8 will be.

You are asking me to show you proof why Lumia 520 won't be updated till 2017, show me proof why it will be?

Has it ever occurred to you that not all phones have Glance or not everyone has a Dot View Case? The HTC One M8 for Android has both a Dot View Case and notification LED, they didn't have to make any sacrifices like the WP users do. Again you can make all the excuses you want for Windows Phone.

If you use the camera shortcut in the lockscreen you don't, I repeat, you DON'T have to type the password. The Note 3 didn't have a camera shortcut at launch however I believe the latest TouchWiz version does have it and it would straight out beat the 1520. Why?

Because with the 1520 you would have two options, either use Microsoft camera or Nokia Camera.

If you open up Microsoft camera it will take much longer to focus and Note 3 would win due to the lockscreen shortcut and better focusing speed.

If you use Nokia Camera you'll have to wait for it to open(it takes longer) and the shutter speed will also be slower because the 1520 takes two shots, one is 19 MP and the other is compressed 5MP.

Either way Note 3 would win. But if you we're to compare 1520 to this years devices like the Galaxy S5, G3 or HTC One M8 for Android it wouls absolutely be crushed in speed.

It doesn't look like Android, but isn't as bad as ps2. However asphalt 7 runs perfectly fine and on par, if not above the Android version, in terms of graphics and performance. So, if asphalt 7 runs so well, why shouldn't asphalt8? Gameloft is responsible here, not ms. How can you say that WP doesn't support advanced graphics? I think DirectX 11 is better than open gl.

Edit-just tested a Lumia 920 with asphalt 8, graphics same as Android, performance even smoother. The extra ram makes a difference. However,asphalt 7 looks the same on Android, Lumia 620 and 920. At least the Lumia 620 runs asphalt 8 smoothly, unlike the androids counterpart where it lags with the same specs. It's gamelofts fault here.

What reference devices are you using for this test?

I'm sorry if I haven't made myself clear, since iPhones and Androids are the majority of devices app developers optimize their apps for OpenGL better.

Other than just Asphalt 8 most other games do not support the same effects as Gameloft and other companies like EA don't care about DirectX on mobile(if that's what WP uses)

DirectX is very powerful but on mobile not one cares about it.

I'm sorry,I don't get you?! The **** meant sh#t, not anything else. Besides, he mentioned it first. Let me quote his previous statement-
Quote by salmanahmed
"I don't give a **** about blackberry, Symbian and webos"

And their he loses but
If you count yours "I" you losses more than him

in this types conversation using I word represents that you don't have any answer to counter that point

Loool the only reason I used 'I' was because we we're discussing iOS, Android and Windows Phone here. Not Symbian, BB and WebOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You are the one making excuses.

iPhone 4 is still sold in India officially by Apple.

All WP7 devices had Microsoft tell me, iPhone 4 didn't get it. In a way iPhone 4 did get 6.8. Just because Apple named it ios7 doesn't mean it is justified. Had MS named the 7.8 update as "8 with reduced features for older devices" would you have felt better?

How can ambient light sensor technology that has been there since 7 years, undergoing constant improvements YoY not be better than a brightness slider? Show me a situation where a brightness slider beats an ambient light sensor.

"Why would your 75 year old grandfather need a smartphone"
This is insulting. what, are you crazy? What's wrong with getting a smartphone for an old person?

This is a silly question. In case you didn't know, WP 8 devices get updates automatically over the air. Have you ever used a phone?

What are your arguments to support your statement that the 520 won't get supported until 2017? I've already given mine.

Not all Android phones have notification leds, do they?

I did this comparison at a croma store, and the 1520 won, with the default camera app. If you use a 1520, you'll see for yourself.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Many apps are not released for 512mb ram phones on Android, and the few that are run very badly. Also, people pirate the unsupported app by sideloading it. That is a huge issue. Also, asphalt 8 on a 512mb WP runs better than on a512 Mb Android phone.

Correction 512 mb ram in wp equals to 1 gb ram in android.gone are the days of 512 mb ram in android.even 1 gb is just good enough not great.that is android for you the most resource hungry 😋 os for you which has millions of apps.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You are the one making excuses.

iPhone 4 is still sold in India officially by Apple.

All WP7 devices had Microsoft tell me, iPhone 4 didn't get it. In a way iPhone 4 did get 6.8. Just because Apple named it ios7 doesn't mean it is justified. Had MS named the 7.8 update as "8 with reduced features for older devices" would you have felt better?

How can ambient light sensor technology that has been there since 7 years, undergoing constant improvements YoY not be better than a brightness slider? Show me a situation where a brightness slider beats an ambient light sensor.

"Why would your 75 year old grandfather need a smartphone"
This is insulting. what, are you crazy? What's wrong with getting a smartphone for an old person?

This is a silly question. In case you didn't know, WP 8 devices get updates automatically over the air. Have you ever used a phone?

What are your arguments to support your statement that the 520 won't get supported until 2017? I've already given mine.

Not all Android phones have notification leds, do they?

I did this comparison at a croma store, and the 1520 won, with the default camera app. If you use a 1520, you'll see for yourself.

Okay I'll ask you this simple question, what features did iPhone 4 not get in iOS 7? Apart from Siri, because no single core Windows Phone device didn't get Cortana either.

No I meant to say that Windows Phone doesn't update automatically, you still have to navigate into settings and then download it, you can also update Custom ROMs OTA once you install them(just saying).

I wasn't trying to be insulting but think about it logically, it would be awesome if you convince an elderly person to try out a smartphone but in most cases he won't even care about updates in the least, most elderly people don't even care about trying a smartphone!

If you are in a situation like a bright room but want to save battery, turning down the brightness just enough is very helpful. The preset Windows Phone settings "low" "medium" and "high" are not accurate as my Lumia 520 could bring the brightness much lower than the "low" option in settings. Brightness sliders are very useful to quite a lot of people.

The argument about Lumia 520 not being supported for very long is that it's hardware is slowly beginning to show it's age and there is a limit of how long Microsoft can keep it alive.
As new features keep rolling in, older devices get slower and slower till the point that they can no longer handle a new OS. Windows Phone 8.1 considerably slowed down my Lumia 520. So there is a limit for how long Microsoft supports it, and they can't support it till 2017 that's impossible.

About the camera speed, yes I've never used a 1520 but it does have a slower camera than other flagships out there due to the higher MP count, the test you conducted was not scientific nor accurate. However I may have a solution, Basemark OS 2 benchmark has a camera speed test, if someone here with a 1520 could conduct it, would be really awesome. I'll also conduct the test on my Nexus 5 and I'll tell my cousin with a Note 3 to conduct it as well. :)

Correction 512 mb ram in wp equals to 1 gb ram in android.gone are the days of 512 mb ram in android.even 1 gb is just good enough not great.that is android for you the most resource hungry 😋 os for you which has millions of apps.

Android isn't resource hungry, actually with recent updates they've made better support for 512 MB RAM.

Even dual core devices like the Moto X run Android 4.4 smoothly, gone are the days when Android was resource hungry, it isn't anymore.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No way I here talk about old devices stuck with jb.can u imagine yourself using 512 mb ram android device it will make you repent. You can't open any app it will stutter nd freeze. Android is only for higher spec phone not low end like wp. Atleast not for 512 mb ram.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No way I here talk about old devices stuck with jb.can u imagine yourself using 512 mb ram android device it will make you repent. You can't open any app it will stutter nd freeze. Android is only for higher spec phone not low end like wp. Atleast not for 512 mb ram.

Windows Phone stutters as well if you have low-end hardware.

People bought Nokia X didn't they? It had 512 MB RAM, no one really regretted doing so.

It's a myth that Windows Phone is less resource hungry than Android, Android is a much faster OS that what it used to be.

But I had an HTC Explorer it was a 609 MHz 512 MB RAM device and I got Android 4.4.4 on it, it could play everything smoothly except for a few apps and games.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh I think it's impossible for android less than 1 gb ram to help you make a phone call.such phone is useless you will have lags nd freezes.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Didn't see any lag & freeze in Lg Optimus L5 2.

But WP do struggle and lag in simple task as playing music

Windows Phone and Android phones can be pretty smooth even at the low end side, given the fact that the software is optimized.

The slow music player is the fault of Microsoft, similarly slow Samsung phones are because of TouchWiz.

But Android can run smoothly even on 512 MB RAM.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
+1000000000000000000

Most people in India use Samsung, Micromax and karbonn phones with mediatek quad core and 1 Gb ram,all for under 10,000 INR. I've myself seen the lag under these phones. This guy is right,I should make a video of this and show it here. It takes 10 seconds to open the dialler on a Micromax phone.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone stutters as well if you have low-end hardware.

People bought Nokia X didn't they? It had 512 MB RAM, no one really regretted doing so.

It's a myth that Windows Phone is less resource hungry than Android, Android is a much faster OS that what it used to be.

But I had an HTC Explorer it was a 609 MHz 512 MB RAM device and I got Android 4.4.4 on it, it could play everything smoothly except for a few apps and games.
WP does not,I repeat does not stutter on low end hardware. See the ratings and reviews for the Lumia 520 comparing it to the other androids with the same specs. Tell me, which will run smoothly, Lumia 520 or any Android phone with the same hardware as the Lumia 520?

By the way, Nokia X runs on jellybean 4.1.2. I've used it, and the UI is disgusting. Quite a demo of what Android would be like if it had live tiles. And it was slow and lagged while scrolling. Nokia Lumia 520 runs much smoother than it.

The guy who you are "+1000000ing" had no arguments to support his statement. I would suggest you read what I explained to him.
Read my statement. The WPC site is somewhat slow today in showing my whole comment.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
+1000000000000000000

Most people in India use Samsung, Micromax and karbonn phones with mediatek quad core and 1 Gb ram,all for under 10,000 INR. I've myself seen the lag under these phones. This guy is right,I should make a video of this and show it here. It takes 10 seconds to open the dialler on a Micromax phone.

So you ssupport this statement then give me an eexample an app or game which need 1GB RAM in Android but can easily run onWP 512MB RAM devices.

I can also made video to show that WP takes more than 10 secs to play music and open game hub and video.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone has seamless integration with my Windows 8.1 PC 💻. My contacts,Xbox scores, email 📧, drafts, OneNote, word documents, start screen theme, settings, internet explorer favorites, history, recent tabs, playlists, everything gets synced wirelessly. That is a feature which no OS has now currently.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
WP does not,I repeat does not stutter on low end hardware. See the ratings and reviews for the Lumia 520 comparing it to the other androids with the same specs. Tell me, which will run smoothly, Lumia 520 or any Android phone with the same hardware as the Lumia 520?

By the way, Nokia X runs on jellybean 4.1.2. I've used it, and the UI is disgusting. Quite a demo of what Android would be like if it had live tiles. And it was slow and lagged while scrolling. Nokia Lumia 520 runs much smoother than it.

LG optimus L5 2.
Inferior specs than L520 but performance is nothing less than L520.
And certain basic task perform faster than L520.

Why you are spamming this thread which you started?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
+1000000000000000000

DUDE STOP COMPARING MICROMAX and KARBONN to Nokia or any other reputable brand.

Yeah sorry I forgot Nokia X didn't run 4.4. But I am talking about apps, they run fine. I've seen my teacher play games on her Nokia X with ease.

If you scroll too fast using a 520 in the comments section of WPCentral, or myTube, or many other apps your content dissapears.

Apps do stutter on low end hardware, so does the UI.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
So you ssupport this statement then give me an eexample an app or game which need 1GB RAM in Android but can easily run onWP 512MB RAM devices.

I can also made video to show that WP takes more than 10 secs to play music and open game hub and video.
The reason for some games(Apps don't use more than 512mb) needing more than 512 Mb on WP and not on Android is for to developers using unity to convert Android games to WP. I bet if a developer coded for WP natively, out wouldn't need 1 GB ram, rather it would need 1 GB on Android. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DUDE STOP COMPARING MICROMAX and KARBONN to Nokia or any other reputable brand.

Yeah sorry I forgot Nokia X didn't run 4.4. But I am talking about apps, they run fine. I've seen my teacher play games on her Nokia X with ease.

If you scroll too fast using a 520 in the comments section of WPCentral, or myTube, or many other apps your content dissapears.

Apps do stutter on low end hardware, so does the UI.
Micromax is the second largest Android OEM in India, after Samsung, and all their phones run stock Android. So why not use them in a comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb