Limitations of Android, IOS and other devices as compared to WP, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
The reason for some games(Apps don't use more than 512mb) needing more than 512 Mb on WP and not on Android is for to developers using unity to convert Android games to WP. I bet if a developer coded for WP natively, out wouldn't need 1 GB ram, rather it would need 1 GB on Android. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Then the resources hungry OS is WP not Android.

Apps also need more RAM.
Check the new Live Lock screen app.
It perform quite better in 1GB RAM.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone has seamless integration with my Windows 8.1 PC 💻. My contacts,Xbox scores, email 📧, drafts, OneNote, word documents, start screen theme, settings, internet explorer favorites, history, recent tabs, playlists, everything gets synced wirelessly. That is a feature which no OS has now currently.

Uhmm nope. My Chrome bookmarks get synched, so does my Google Keep, Google documents, how does music sync exactly? I didn't understand the last part.

Plus a lot of the services you are talking about are on Android as well and sync just as good.

And Apple offers pretty much the same integration with Mac, so other OSes do have this.

WP also has inbuilt Microsoft Office 🏢 for free, which currently no other OS has.

Uhmm Office is free on Android and iOS.

The reason for some games(Apps don't use more than 512mb) needing more than 512 Mb on WP and not on Android is for to developers using unity to convert Android games to WP. I bet if a developer coded for WP natively, out wouldn't need 1 GB ram, rather it would need 1 GB on Android. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, this isn't true. While Windows Phone UI is very fast and smooth, apps inefficiently use memory and that's why games don't run on 512 MB RAM.

Unity has no play in this.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys don't ever think of talking great about low end android.low end android are pain in the neck compared to wp low end.android is os for high end.only if u buy nexus or other high end you can Enjoy android.otherwise low end especiallyin India are like use nd throw.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys don't ever think of talking great about low end android.low end android are pain in the neck compared to wp low end.android is os for high end.only if u buy nexus or other high end you can Enjoy android.otherwise low end especiallyin India are like use nd throw.

Dude use a quality low end Android device, like Moto G.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Dude use a quality low end Android device, like Moto G.

Well I here meant Samsung duos nd micromax nd lava karbonn. That too with 512 MB ram. They are only low end. Moto g is mid end.512 MB Rom jb devices are lag masters.they freeze nd make your life he'll.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well I here meant Samsung duos nd micromax nd lava karbonn. That too with 512 MB ram. They are only low end. Moto g is mid end.512 MB Rom jb devices are lag masters.they freeze nd make your life he'll.

I've used them, they aren't that terrible. People don't mind using TouchWiz for the lag as long as they get the extra features they like.

Moto G is not mid-end it's low end, Moto E is even cheaper and offers good performance.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
from the original post, you listed some "limitation" of WP as well...

apps in WP 8.1 that was written in WinRT won't close if you press back button; it'll be suspended (check the calendar app)

and piracy is present in every ecosystem...
I've already seen at least one site that provides cracked .xap or .appx...
but then again, you need to go through dev-unlocking your phone with all its risk to install it

as for Skype, you got to admit it's terrible, even worse when you're in a slow network area like Indonesia which has no 4G widely available -_-

to salmanahmed: Moto G is not low end, it's lower-mid end

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

apps in WP 8.1 that was written in WinRT won't close if you press back button; it'll be suspended (check the calendar app)

but then again, you need to go through dev-unlocking your phone with all its risk to install it

as for Skype, you got to admit it's terrible, even worse when you're in a slow network area like Indonesia which has no 4G widely available -_-

Try Moto E then. -.-

Kel Bin

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I think that those 512 mb wp8 phone do lag. Just that it's masked.
When android open an app, it just lag and open.
When wp8 open an app, it shows loading, and open. This makes it feels smooth

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I am surprised, no one has mentioned one key differentiator here : My data. Your data. Our data.

Google is an advertising company, not a software giant. Apple and Microsoft as software giants, they make money from coding. Google makes money from advertising and selling. Android is probably not resource hungry but it is data hungry. It wants all my data. It wants to sell it all. It wants to mine it. It wants to read it. It wants to make money from it. Each handset that you boast about with abundant features in it that probably 80% of Android users don't even care about or know about, is a walking data mining machine for Google. WP or iPhone isn't.

I can do with about 500,000 less apps on my phone, about 50 less features on my phone and even masked lag on my phone, as long as no one reads my emails, no one mines my document data and no one wants to sell my information so that they can sell even cheaper version of their phone to screw with more lives and their privacy.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I am surprised, no one has mentioned one key differentiator here : My data. Your data. Our data.

Google is an advertising company, not a software giant. Apple and Microsoft as software giants, they make money from coding. Google makes money from advertising and selling. Android is probably not resource hungry but it is data hungry. It wants all my data. It wants to sell it all. It wants to mine it. It wants to read it. It wants to make money from it. Each handset that you boast about with abundant features in it that probably 80% of Android users don't even care about or know about, is a walking data mining machine for Google. WP or iPhone isn't.

I can do with about 500,000 less apps on my phone, about 50 less features on my phone and even masked lag on my phone, as long as no one reads my emails, no one mines my document data and no one wants to sell my information so that they can sell even cheaper version of their phone to screw with more lives and their privacy.

Because nobody cares except few users who don't know how this world works.

MS also read and scan your Info.

we had several thread on this.
Never trust American & Chinese companies.

Better not trust any company with your data.

To be honest I do not care privacy.

Because their is always someone tracking you.
You visit website it tracks you.
You cellular company also tracks and record your phone calls.

And this all done by machine.
So why do you care that some machine record your data and select ads on that basis.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
IOS
- Closed, limited and premium all around (often without reason except forcing you to spend more)
- Abundance of good apps (at a price)
- Smooth and subject to frequent updates (with the UI never changing its childish looks anyways)
- UI is boring
- Once you go Apple all what you do must happen in Apple universe. Not good for people affected by claustrophobia.
- Relatively secure
- One single, unified platform (no fragmentation)
- Not enough customizable

Android
- "OPEN" (So to say)
- Abundance of apps (many of which are trash)
- Rarely smooth since day one. Tends to slow to unbearable levels after a while (startup is a nightmare on all my Androids after one year or so)
- Security and privacy with Google are like the Bigfoot...everyone talks about it but no one has ever seen it and when a picture shows...worry not...it's blurred. Android is the same. (3 recorded attempts to steal personal data from a third party keyboard, which is also a very good keyboard by the way; compass apps asking to see your SMS, photocamera apps asking to see your mom's bra size and so forth)
- Platform is fragmented. Support ends quick (based on country, operator, manufacturer look how many levels you have....) and you spent a good bunch of money to use a device that gets old in no time (my WP got 3 updates in less than one year.....it's true they add 1 function at a time and advertise it like the next big thing everyone else has had for a decade. Perhaps they fear they may run out of new functions so they add them once at a time....).
- Platform is completely integrated. Sharing is a breeze and sharing option add up as you install new apps (sharing to pocket/instapaper is everywhere, sharing to messaging clients of third parties is there and is a complete list in most apps
- Split screen in big screen devices really boosts productivity
- Choice of key apps allows everyone to create a phone that's cut for your needs.
- Customizations are deep and infinite (try something like Themer to understand what i mean). Widgets, background, icons etc. There is a genuine chance to create a device like no one. You manage to fit all what you need in one single home page if you really want
- Really good maps. You find what you need and distances and times are pretty much accurate. They take you to the place at least in my place.

WP
- A midway between Android and Apple in terms of openness (Windows Mobile was much better than them all and i know someone may find this statement daring).
- API are closed and limited (opening now) with devs reluctant to invest time and money in APIs that limit software potentialities. This reflects in market and app quality. Deep scarcity and quality of good apps is a key issue for WP.
- UI is very nice. However limitations in customization (colors first inline), make it boring after a while. This has been partly fixed in 8.1 but still doesn't feel right. Lack of three row tiles makes the biggest tiles look small on devices like 1520. Of course the 3 tiles may come as new function in 3 or 4 years.
- Lack of very basic functions (Keyboard inputs, complete sharing functions showing and adding automatically new apps that can share in browser, messaging clients, photo apps, proper multi mail account, Office not letting you edit files, and many other basic things that now escape my memory) it's all missing. Even file managers are terrible (In some you have to manually add the directories to be scanned...and they are sold at a price, too).
- Lack of real choice. Example is browsers. You can download them all and you notice them all have the same UI more or less, same functions (or lack thereof) etc. It's like a Soviet method where you make ten types of cars with different brands but they are all licensed by one single manufacturer and they all look the same....except for some details. This not only makes UIs boring. It also drags issues of original app onto all the others.
- Market is a show. You make a search for A and get 10 results for A and 200.000 for all other unrelated items you don't need. Two thousand apps carry the same or similar name, some even same icons in different sizes (Telegram messaging copies for example but there are tons of those, games in particular). 80% of what you find in the market is unusable for one reason or the other. I am amazed at how Microsoft allows this to happen. Setting language to one particular region (ex. China or Taiwan to mention a few) shows this even more with a situation can be called but hilarious (or sad depending on your mood).
- OS is smooth to an excess, a pleasure to use for real
- Updates are frequent but never bear real innovation or massive changes nor solve basic issues (Keyboard input for Traditional Chinese with Pinyin was requested since 2011 and that request reiterated several times without Microsoft ever caring). Every update boasts one or two big changes at max.
- Total lack of changelogs for lots of apps and OS. You never know what's been added or removed. It makes you feel lost in space. MSFT programmers must be lazy at tech writing.

BB
The underdog. I consider it to be one of the best, most secure OS' installed on inadequate devices with RIM having missed the train of full screen devices and phablets (and somewhat still confused about it). The day BB does a good phablet i'll throw myself on it.
- Compatible with Android apps (and with basic security measures to check those apps)
- Stable OS designed for business
- Dedicated servers with real security in place. Not perfect but better than all others.
- Professional UI designed for business and communication (unlike the Hello Kitty feeling o iOS and Android).
- Lack of apps
- Lack of appealing devices (who really wants those small screens with a hardware keyboard today?).
- Lack of customization

It's not an exhaustive list of my thoughts but i have no time and found this thread interesting.

I'd love to own a BB that has a 6" screen with the possibility to add the few Android apps i need to be productive.

Last edited:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

BAM you sir hit the nail on the head!! my thoughts exactly
:))

IOS
- Closed, limited and premium all around (often without reason except forcing you to spend more)
- Abundance of good apps (at a price)
- Smooth and subject to frequent updates (with the UI never changing its childish looks anyways)
- UI is boring
- Once you go Apple all what you do must happen in Apple universe. Not good for people affected by claustrophobia.
- Relatively secure
- One single, unified platform (no fragmentation)
- Not enough customizable

Android
- "OPEN" (So to say)
- Abundance of apps (many of which are trash)
- Rarely smooth since day one. Tends to slow to unbearable levels after a while (startup is a nightmare on all my Androids after one year or so)
- Security and privacy with Google are like the Bigfoot...everyone talks about it but no one has ever seen it and when a picture shows...worry not...it's blurred. Android is the same. (3 recorded attempts to steal personal data from a third party keyboard, which is also a very good keyboard by the way; compass apps asking to see your SMS, photocamera apps asking to see your mom's bra size and so forth)
- Platform is fragmented. Support ends quick (based on country, operator, manufacturer look how many levels you have....) and you spent a good bunch of money to use a device that gets old in no time (my WP got 3 updates in less than one year.....it's true they add 1 function at a time and advertise it like the next big thing everyone else has had for a decade. Perhaps they fear they may run out of new functions so they add them once at a time....).
- Platform is completely integrated. Sharing is a breeze and sharing option add up as you install new apps (sharing to pocket/instapaper is everywhere, sharing to messaging clients of third parties is there and is a complete list in most apps
- Split screen in big screen devices really boosts productivity
- Choice of key apps allows everyone to create a phone that's cut for your needs.
- Customizations are deep and infinite (try something like Themer to understand what i mean). Widgets, background, icons etc. There is a genuine chance to create a device like no one. You manage to fit all what you need in one single home page if you really want
- Really good maps. You find what you need and distances and times are pretty much accurate. They take you to the place at least in my place.

WP
- A midway between Android and Apple in terms of openness (Windows Mobile was much better than them all and i know someone may find this statement daring).
- API are closed and limited (opening now) with devs reluctant to invest time and money in APIs that limit software potentialities. This reflects in market and app quality. Deep scarcity and quality of good apps is a key issue for WP.
- UI is very nice. However limitations in customization (colors first inline), make it boring after a while. This has been partly fixed in 8.1 but still doesn't feel right. Lack of three row tiles makes the biggest tiles look small on devices like 1520. Of course the 3 tiles may come as new function in 3 or 4 years.
- Lack of very basic functions (Keyboard inputs, complete sharing functions showing and adding automatically new apps that can share in browser, messaging clients, photo apps, proper multi mail account, Office not letting you edit files, and many other basic things that now escape my memory) it's all missing. Even file managers are terrible (In some you have to manually add the directories to be scanned...and they are sold at a price, too).
- Lack of real choice. Example is browsers. You can download them all and you notice them all have the same UI more or less, same functions (or lack thereof) etc. It's like a Soviet method where you make ten types of cars with different brands but they are all licensed by one single manufacturer and they all look the same....except for some details. This not only makes UIs boring. It also drags issues of original app onto all the others.
- Market is a show. You make a search for A and get 10 results for A and 200.000 for all other unrelated items you don't need. Two thousand apps carry the same or similar name, some even same icons in different sizes (Telegram messaging copies for example but there are tons of those, games in particular). 80% of what you find in the market is unusable for one reason or the other. I am amazed at how Microsoft allows this to happen. Setting language to one particular region (ex. China or Taiwan to mention a few) shows this even more with a situation can be called but hilarious (or sad depending on your mood).
- OS is smooth to an excess, a pleasure to use for real
- Updates are frequent but never bear real innovation or massive changes nor solve basic issues (Keyboard input for Traditional Chinese with Pinyin was requested since 2011 and that request reiterated several times without Microsoft ever caring). Every update boasts one or two big changes at max.
- Total lack of changelogs for lots of apps and OS. You never know what's been added or removed. It makes you feel lost in space. MSFT programmers must be lazy at tech writing.

BB
The underdog. I consider it to be one of the best, most secure OS' installed on inadequate devices with RIM having missed the train of full screen devices and phablets (and somewhat still confused about it). The day BB does a good phablet i'll throw myself on it.
- Compatible with Android apps (and with basic security measures to check those apps)
- Stable OS designed for business
- Dedicated servers with real security in place. Not perfect but better than all others.
- Professional UI designed for business and communication (unlike the Hello Kitty feeling o iOS and Android).
- Lack of apps
- Lack of appealing devices (who really wants those small screens with a hardware keyboard today?).
- Lack of customization

It's not an exhaustive list of my thoughts but i have no time and found this thread interesting.

I'd love to own a BB that has a 6" screen with the possibility to add the few Android apps i need to be productive.

you too!! totally agree with you!!

So why do you care that some machine record your data and select ads on that basis.

why does a camera app want to make phone calls etc? bit fishy no?

Windows Phone stutters as well if you have low-end hardware.

People bought Nokia X didn't they? It had 512 MB RAM, no one really regretted doing so.

It's a myth that Windows Phone is less resource hungry than Android, Android is a much faster OS that what it used to be.

But I had an HTC Explorer it was a 609 MHz 512 MB RAM device and I got Android 4.4.4 on it, it could play everything smoothly except for a few apps and games.

not really
wp is actually better optimised,infact even BB10 and ios are better optimised than android

View attachment 78261

This one of my most loved features about Android, individually swipeable, interactive expandable notifications.

No other OS does this. :)

it clutters more and reduces battery life imho

Didn't see any lag & freeze in Lg Optimus L5 2.

But WP do struggle and lag in simple task as playing music

not true ive seen more androids lagging whereas even a 520 can handle games wayy better

Last edited by a moderator:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

There are very less number of individuals who really like to share their private lives for free stuff. Why do I care if Google scans through my email? Because they are MINE. Not Google's.

Microsoft doesn't scan through my Outlook emails. Google scans through Gmail so that I get spammed. Selling of personal data is totally different than just a random machine recording or tracking via installation of cookies on your laptop. I really do not want to claim a particular nationality of business to be dodgy, think you should refrain too. Tracking me is different than selling me.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

the apps which are suspended are the newer 8.1 optimised apps thats why they dont close with back key

There are very less number of individuals who really like to share their private lives for free stuff. Why do I care if Google scans through my email? Because they are MINE. Not Google's.

Microsoft doesn't scan through my Outlook emails. Google scans through Gmail so that I get spammed. Selling of personal data is totally different than just a random machine recording or tracking via installation of cookies on your laptop. I really do not want to claim a particular nationality of business to be dodgy, think you should refrain too. Tracking me is different than selling me.

^^totally agreed plus googles terms and conditions literally states that they own your data (google drive)

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
When people say wp with 512mb = android with 1gb, they should also mind that there's hardly any android that comes with 512mb ram (not even in low end) where as windows phones are still shipping with that, so it makes no difference.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
When people say wp with 512mb = android with 1gb, they should also mind that there's hardly any android that comes with 512mb ram (not even in low end) where as windows phones are still shipping with that, so it makes no difference.

Hey nit everyone will upgrade to moto g or moto e.I talk about devices which are old like Samsung s duos or micromax 512 MB devices are still there in android.I here meant about 1 year old devices.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Ya that's the reason wp is looking market share think Rs 10,000 Asus zenphone 5 which looks attractive gives you 2 GB ram nd that xiaomi Mi 3 .now android in the low end have become great competitive so wp no doubt have to make bang for buck device otherwise it is lose for wp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss