Limitations of Android, IOS and other devices as compared to WP, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
These low cost high specs Chinese phones in Asia would be the death of everything. Even Samsung has started to struggle to compete with them. Since, they all come with android, windows phone's future is starting to look even more bleak. If Microsoft is looking to compete at budget range in these markets, they have to be better than them all in the same price otherwise there is very less hope for them.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey nit everyone will upgrade to moto g or moto e.I talk about devices which are old like Samsung s duos or micromax 512 MB devices are still there in android.I here meant about 1 year old devices.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
I'm not just targeting you, Its a pretty common argument people make which makes no sense to me.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
These low cost high specs Chinese phones in Asia would be the death of everything. Even Samsung has started to struggle to compete with them. Since, they all come with android, windows phone's future is starting to look even more bleak. If Microsoft is looking to compete at budget range in these markets, they have to be better than them all in the same price otherwise there is very less hope for them.
Or when those Chinese manufacturers start making windows phones too.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Limitations of IOS
No fm.
No nfc.
No SD card support.
No file manager.
No MTP.
No micro USB.
No wireless charging.
No notification led/glance/dot view.
No sunlight readability.
No option for removable battery.
Price is too to high.
No camera button.
No double tap to wake.
No inbuilt office for free.
Text prediction is not present(They just recently added it after 7 YEARS lol)
Have to sync everything through iTunes,no pnp.
Can't manual adjust screen tone and coolness(Not available in Android also, only WP has it.)

My $20 Nokia dumb phone has an SD slot,fm, file manager. Can't see how the fruit company missed this in a $500 phone.

Last edited:

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
if that happens, that will propel our platform to new heights. But problem is OEMs go for what is popular and right now android is more popular.

Ya I don't understand oem attitude of competing in price war. With android os.anyway once android becomes smooth in low end people will grab it ahead of wp.but that will not happen even in wildest dream. Because android is resource hungry nd you need to spend minimum 400 $ to enjoy lag free experience.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Then the resources hungry OS is WP not Android.

Apps also need more RAM.
Check the new Live Lock screen app.
It perform quite better in 1GB RAM.
Read my statement again.

The live lockscreen app is in BETA. Do you understand the meaning of that word? :-o

Last edited:

calbro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree. That is why I don't understand all of the negative against the NSA whose job it is to spy. Consumers are hurt by companies who have been tracking us for a decade in order to do business or spread their advertisements and in the process our id and other personal data get stolen which can and do ruin our freedom. I have no interest in trying to stop or limit the NSA from functioning because they one of our best hopes of catching terrorist and their plots against the people of this country both especially inside as well as outside.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Uhmm nope. My Chrome bookmarks get synched, so does my Google Keep, Google documents, how does music sync exactly? I didn't understand the last part.

Plus a lot of the services you are talking about are on Android as well and sync just as good.

And Apple offers pretty much the same integration with Mac, so other OSes do have this.

Uhmm Office is free on Android and iOS.

No, this isn't true. While Windows Phone UI is very fast and smooth, apps inefficiently use memory and that's why games don't run on 512 MB RAM.

Unity has no play in this.
For syncing with Google, you have to use chrome, download it and install it, and to access your contacts, you have to open the browser. The integration between Windows 8.1 and WP 8.1 beats that of Android+ Linux.

Apple doesn't offer the same level of integration that WP has since 2012. They only introduced Yosemite recently, and it's in BETA.

In Windows 8.1+ WP 8.1 combo, you can sync-
Playlists
-Contacts
-text messages
-Fb profile, messages
-OneNote
-Office docs
-Project your phone screen on your PC
-Email drafts, inbox, read and unread emails
-Xbox live scores, avatar, achievements
-Photos
-Internet explorer tab sync, history favorites, recent tabs
-videos
-theme/accent color
-wallpaper
-PC settings
-Wi-Fi password
-Skype calls, contacts.
-No need to enter tethering password if you have paired your phone with Bluetooth once. You can remotely turn internet sharing on using your PC.
-And many more.......

You can't do this with Android or IOS.

Unity is used in apps like subway surfer, asphalt 8,etc. Browse the forums, many of our devs here can confirm it. Why, any longtime WPC user knows this. If asphalt 8 was coded natively for 512mb WP, using DirectX 11 API, it would beat Android easily. Can't help it if some developer is lazy enough to not do so.

Office is not free on Android and IOS, you need to sign in with an Office 365 subscription.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I am surprised, no one has mentioned one key differentiator here : My data. Your data. Our data.

Google is an advertising company, not a software giant. Apple and Microsoft as software giants, they make money from coding. Google makes money from advertising and selling. Android is probably not resource hungry but it is data hungry. It wants all my data. It wants to sell it all. It wants to mine it. It wants to read it. It wants to make money from it. Each handset that you boast about with abundant features in it that probably 80% of Android users don't even care about or know about, is a walking data mining machine for Google. WP or iPhone isn't.

I can do with about 500,000 less apps on my phone, about 50 less features on my phone and even masked lag on my phone, as long as no one reads my emails, no one mines my document data and no one wants to sell my information so that they can sell even cheaper version of their phone to screw with more lives and their privacy.

Dude what is wrong with you? Google makes computer software and telecoms equipment.

If you have a problem with your privacy, you shouldn't be on the internet because you will be tracked no matter what.

E-mail isn't even as personal as your personal data which you store on OneDrive, and Microsoft does oversee what you upload to OneDrive.

If you really have that many issues with Gmail, use Outlook on your Android device, in fact the Outlook app is better than the Windows Phone version.

But stop spreading lies.

BAM you sir hit the nail on the head!! my thoughts exactly
:))

you too!! totally agree with you!!

why does a camera app want to make phone calls etc? bit fishy no?

not really
wp is actually better optimised,infact even BB10 and ios are better optimised than android

it clutters more and reduces battery life imho

not true ive seen more androids lagging whereas even a 520 can handle games wayy better

Depends on what your definition of optimization is, TouchWiz isn't optimized but stock Android and HTC Sense is very optimized for many devices.

iOS could be more optimized than Android, but not Windows Phone. Definitely not Windows Phone.

If you have a problem with some camera app accessing your calls, don't use that camera app! There are thousands of other quality camera apps that don't ask for your calls.

They are called "Expandable Notifications" for a reason, you can also make them smaller for less clutter. But with that said expandable notifications is one of the best features of Android, most people agree with this.

There are very less number of individuals who really like to share their private lives for free stuff. Why do I care if Google scans through my email? Because they are MINE. Not Google's.

Microsoft doesn't scan through my Outlook emails. Google scans through Gmail so that I get spammed. Selling of personal data is totally different than just a random machine recording or tracking via installation of cookies on your laptop. I really do not want to claim a particular nationality of business to be dodgy, think you should refrain too. Tracking me is different than selling me.

Any proof to back up your statement bro?

Limitations of IOS
No fm.
No nfc.
No SD card support.
No file manager.
No MTP.
No micro USB.
No wireless charging.
No notification led/glance/dot view.
No sunlight readability.
No option for removable battery.
Price is too to high.
No camera button.
No double tap to wake.
No inbuilt office for free.
Text prediction is not present(They just recently added it after 7 YEARS lol)
Have to sync everything through iTunes,no pnp.

My $20 Nokia dumb phone has an SD slot,fm, file manager. Can't see how the fruit company missed this in a $500 phone.

You can't simply compare your $20 Nokia device with an iPhone, maybe iPhone doesn't have a lot of the stuff you've mentioned.

But it has slow-mo 120 FPS, live filters, the screen works under sunlight, it has some of the best touchscreen response times, many sites say it is the best cameraphone ever(The Verge), the smoothest operating system and phone ever made and a lot more.

Best put iOS has the most polished applications, it gets apps first usually and gets great apps that no other platform gets to see, a lot of the same can be said for Android but not Windows Phone.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
For syncing with Google, you have to use chrome, download it and install it, and to access your contacts, you have to open the browser. The integration between Windows 8.1 and WP 8.1 beats that of Android+ Linux.

Apple doesn't offer the same level of integration that WP has since 2012. They only introduced Yosemite recently, and it's in BETA.

In Windows 8.1+ WP 8.1 combo, you can sync-
Playlists
-Contacts
-text messages
-Fb profile, messages
-OneNote
-Office docs
-Project your phone screen on your PC
-Email drafts, inbox, read and unread emails
-Xbox live scores, avatar, achievements
-Photos
-Internet explorer tab sync, history favorites, recent tabs
-videos
-theme/accent color
-wallpaper
-PC settings
-Wi-Fi password
-Skype calls, contacts.
-No need to enter tethering password if you have paired your phone with Bluetooth once. You can remotely turn internet sharing on using your PC.
-And many more.......

You can't do this with Android or IOS.

Unity is used in apps like subway surfer, asphalt 8,etc. Browse the forums, many of our devs here can confirm it. Why, any longtime WPC user knows this. If asphalt 8 was coded natively for 512mb WP, using DirectX 11 API, it would beat Android easily. Can't help it if some developer is lazy enough to not do so.

Office is not free on Android and IOS, you need to sign in with an Office 365 subscription.

Dude obviously syncing will be better since both Windows Phone and Windows are made by Microsoft! But barely anyone likes Windows 8 and Windows Phone doesn't receive very positive reviews as well.

Google syncing isn't bad either plus you essentially have a lot of Microsoft's services on Android, so pretty much the same level of syncing is possible. I still use OneDrive a lot.

Office Mobile is free goddamit why do you keep saying it's not?

OpenGL is cross-platform and a lot of places on the internet say that it is much more powerful than DirectX. Especially on mobile it is preferred because it's on both iOS and Android.

This why you see extended effects on the Android version of apps. Asphalt 8 is terrible on the 520, it performs fast but closely resembles a PS2 type of game, even people at Techradar said this when they played Asphalt 8 on a Lumia 1520.

And Asphalt 8 isn't the only game people have reported that even 2D games don't look as good as the Android/iOS counteparts such as Geometry Dash.

Many other 3D games don't support advanced explosions or motion blur or the same levels of anti-aliasing.

Unity has no play in this, Unity is actually one of the best ways to design an app, especially because it supports C# which is the language used for Windows Phone app development(apart from C++).

Android and iOS have reached points where reviewers have said that you can't really decide which OS is better, it gets down to preferences but Windows Phone is nowhere near Android and iOS and no "expert" can say it is the best operating system.

There are some very nice advantages of Windows Phone but they are usually very minor and have replacements on Android/iOS.

the main issue is lazy devs whatsapp is an example and reviewers who love android in a non healthy way

I would seriously like you to backup your statement with proof. Many reviewers I've seen such as Micheal Fisher from Pocketnow and Marques Brownlee from MKBHD have excessively praised Lumia devices for things that they are good at.

Micheal Fisher even uses a Lumia 1020 for himself.

What reviewers are biased exactly?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
There is no official app on Android/IOS to project your screen on a computer 💻. WP can do this ^_^

We'll you can project your screen to the PC in Android 4.4, it might not be as easy but nonetheless there is still a way.

Just as a sidenote if you have root access on your device you can also record your phone's screen by itself, which is pretty awesome.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Whatever Be the limitations android have they can easily become monopoly of they reach 90% market share which will happen if bang for buck devices like moto g makes way.anyway trend shows android is becoming a giant in mobile platform that will crush all other operating system.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
There are very less number of individuals who really like to share their private lives for free stuff. Why do I care if Google scans through my email? Because they are MINE. Not Google's.

Microsoft doesn't scan through my Outlook emails. Google scans through Gmail so that I get spammed. Selling of personal data is totally different than just a random machine recording or tracking via installation of cookies on your laptop. I really do not want to claim a particular nationality of business to be dodgy, think you should refrain too. Tracking me is different than selling me.

I just said that MS also scan your mail.
They also invade your privacy.

Are you acting like you don't know?

ok, here read this
Much like Google, Microsoft also scans your email - Fortune

and your info doesn't remain your info if you post your info in company website, emails etc(or attest the free one).
Everyone is scanning your info.
and if people care about this then Android and Google services never be successful.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I just said that MS also scan your mail.
They also invade your privacy.

Are you acting like you don't know?

ok, here read this
Much like Google, Microsoft also scans your email - Fortune

and your info doesn't remain your info if you post your info in company website, emails etc(or attest the free one).
Everyone is scanning your info.
and if people care about this then Android and Google services never be successful.

They also scan OneDrive, there was a guy who uploaded a partially nude photo and his account got terminated.

http://wmpoweruser.com/watch-what-you-store-on-skydriveyou-may-lose-your-microsoft-life/

And OneDrive is actually usually more personal than your E-mail account, yet Microsoft checks it.

Seriously if privacy is your biggest concern you shouldn't use any smart phone, you should actually not touch anything with an internet connection on it.

I seriously can't believe the huge amount of lies people spread to bring Android down. So annoying. -.-

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Whatever Be the limitations android have they can easily become monopoly of they reach 90% market share which will happen if bang for buck devices like moto g makes way.anyway trend shows android is becoming a giant in mobile platform that will crush all other operating system.

In school I take Business Studies and Economics. Monopoly is a terrible thing.

Since Apple and Google have had monopoly over the past few years no one focused on the low end side, all phones that we're released in the low end side we're never updated.

Since recently after attempts by Nokia(Lumia 520) OEMs have realized that budget devices that get updates become very popular and thus the Moto E and G we're born.

A healthy competitive market is what increases the motivation of people working day and night to improve their operating systems.

I mean due to all the people complaining about performance on Android, they had to make a much smoother version and had to continue doing so.

Android 4.1 was a massive step up, 4.4 was an even bigger one and I believe any small issues left with performance will be fixed with the ART runtime in Android L.

I hope Windows Phone continues to give competition to both Android and iOS and no OS gains monopoly over the market.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Chinese and Taiwanese don't like WP. Chinese mix issues of nationalism/politics with gaps the OS has and don't think it's worth the bucks; Taiwanese run as soon as they see the tiles because "It's so complicated" (not my words, theirs each time i saw someone trying it). Plus, as i said for Taiwan it's also missing keyboard inputs many need (expats and Chinese users). It's not just about low cost. It's that the small issues the OS has in the West down East are deeply amplified. Would you spend so much to buy something that offers so little and you don't understand (They are often lazy at getting into new UIs, that's a real truth). You can lower the price...but if then they buy it and get lost with the UI and realize they can't do the same things they do with iPhone and Android they run after a few days (not even weeks....go to the shop...complain it's too difficult and misses stuff and get an Android or something else). This is real everyday show here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro