How do you feel about the Galaxy Note 4 and its WP features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I just read that this new device has some WP specific features, transparent widgets and a dynamic lockscreen. Do things like this reaffirm your choice in choosing WP since a lot of manufacturers seem to want that WP "experience?

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Its made by Samsung & it's running Google Android, those 2 things alone make the phone a total non starter for me.

I've had Samsung phones in the past ( well one original device replaced 3 times under warranty before being allowed out the contract ) never again.
I've had Android device's in the past to, no thanks don't want one again.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I've had an s3, played with s4/5 and nothing spectacular caught my eye. The UI, even if stock android, was still confusing and seemed alot of unnecessary steps to do simple things. It's just amazing that OEMs keep implementing "WP feature sets", but their user base denies any relation to WP.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I just read that this new device has some WP specific features, transparent widgets and a dynamic lockscreen. Do things like this reaffirm your choice in choosing WP since a lot of manufacturers seem to want that WP "experience?

Android has always had transparent widgets as far as I know. And the lock screen doesn't seem to be doing anything new either.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

Copying features has never been a huge issue, all companies do it and it is what makes operating systems prosper.

Has Windows Phone not copied anything from Android since it's inception? Of course it has! In fact Windows Phone has probably copied more than Android ever has.

In the end, this has never mattered to me and shouldn't really matter to you guys either.

But the features you've mentioned, haven't been copied. They we're already there in Android, either through an app or launcher, and that's where Google gets a lot of it's ideas.

I agree, I've had an s3, played with s4/5 and nothing spectacular caught my eye. The UI, even if stock android, was still confusing and seemed alot of unnecessary steps to do simple things. It's just amazing that OEMs keep implementing "WP feature sets", but their user base denies any relation to WP.

What simple steps are you referring to? Would you mind explaining?

Android has always had transparent widgets as far as I know. And the lock screen doesn't seem to be doing anything new either.

Agreed. Actually I'll prove it, here's Yahoo Weather's transparent widget:

1409951215277.jpg

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Copying features has never been a huge issue, all companies do it and it is what makes operating systems prosper.

Has Windows Phone not copied anything from Android since it's inception? Of course it has! In fact Windows Phone has probably copied more than Android ever has.

In the end, this has never mattered to me and shouldn't really matter to you guys either.

But the features you've mentioned, haven't been copied. They we're already there in Android, either through an app or launcher, and that's where Google gets a lot of it's ideas.

What simple steps are you referring to? Would you mind explaining?

Agreed. Actually I'll prove it, here's Yahoo Weather's transparent widget:

View attachment 79891

the features android "invented" were actually stuff symbian,meego,maemo,ios and wp had
infact android from 2.2 onwards was itself a copy of ios and still is
http://lovemynokia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/10158808-nokia-5800-xpressmusic1.jpg
nokia owns symbian,meego and maemo
ms owns nokia and wp

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
the features android "invented" were actually stuff symbian,meego,maemo,ios and wp had
infact android from 2.2 onwards was itself a copy of ios and still is
http://lovemynokia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/10158808-nokia-5800-xpressmusic1.jpg
nokia owns symbian,meego and maemo
ms owns nokia and wp

Frankly that is a pretty BS argument(sorry for the language but I'm trying to make a point here).

As your first point goes the thread is not comparing Android to iOS, the OP claims that Android(or in this sense Samsung) has copied Windows Phone.

But since you bring iOS into this, Steve Jobs has admitted that "good artists copy, great artists steal".

Did you know that the first fingerprint sensor on a phone was made by Motorola on an Android device back in 2011 but it was terrible.

Apple brings back "dead ideas" and improves them by miles. Apple has been known to copy a whole lot from Android and even custom ROMs made for Android.

1410197629022.jpg

Because of the openness of Android, it's always been at the front of innovation and functionality, iOS and Windows Phone have copied it a lot. And Android has also done the same.

Do you really think that Windows Phone is an original? Since it was released years after iOS and Android(and a dozen other mobile OSes) and it has indeed copied a lot.

If you honestly think that Android has been a "copy" of iOS since Android 2.2, would you please care to explain why iOS and Android so different even today?

Please improve of the quality of your arguments against other operating systems.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Frankly that is a pretty BS argument(sorry for the language but I'm trying to make a point here).

As your first point goes the thread is not comparing Android to iOS, the OP claims that Android(or in this sense Samsung) has copied Windows Phone.

But since you bring iOS into this, Steve Jobs has admitted that "good artists copy, great artists steal".

Did you know that the first fingerprint sensor on a phone was made by Motorola on an Android device back in 2011 but it was terrible.

Apple brings back "dead ideas" and improves them by miles. Apple has been known to copy a whole lot from Android and even custom ROMs made for Android.

View attachment 80212

Because of the openness of Android, it's always been at the front of innovation and functionality, iOS and Windows Phone have copied it a lot. And Android has also done the same.

Do you really think that Windows Phone is an original? Since it was released years after iOS and Android(and a dozen other mobile OSes) and it has indeed copied a lot.

If you honestly think that Android has been a "copy" of iOS since Android 2.2, would you please care to explain why iOS and Android so different even today?

Please improve of the quality of your arguments against other operating systems.

yeah right
so im not allowed to criticise android at all right its soo perfect and invents everything
android may have got the scanner first but android lacks quality in alot of areas
WP and ios are more unique unlike android which was an ios clone since the start
android copied loads from symbian,meego,maemo and ripped off ios
its not really innovation and functionality,most androids fail to do basic stuff properly
ios and android arent very different today?? not really- ios 7 copied alot of wp and android stuff and android L copied ios 7 and WP design elements so yeah android L and ios 8 look very similiar and even have WPs design elements

you said good artists steal,great artists copy but for the regular consumer why would i want a phone filled with subpar "innovative" features,instead id get a seamless experience with another brand
the finger print scanner in the atrix and the galaxy s5 is a joke,iphone 5S has got it right

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 80212

As far as copying & stealing is concerned, do you remember that Samsung galaxy S2 phones & its counterparts were banned solely because it copied an iPhone? Most of the Samsung galaxy phones were sold in huge numbers because it looked similar to an iPhone. Even Today there are many companies who make their phones similar to an iPhone because people buy it only due to the reason that it looks like an iPhone, its not that these phones have better built, better features, better looking than an iPhone, its only due to the reason that they are cheaper & more number of people could afford it. Years ago when Android came, at that time there were iPhone1 & 2. At that time I didn't knew about Android, so when my friend bought a new phone, I just asked him which iPhone was it? He said that it wasn't an iPhone, it was Android phone & he bought it because it looked like an iPhone/ iOS, since then number of people buying android has increased. At that time people were unable to distinguish between iOS & Android, so they kept on pushing out updates for Android so people could differentiate it. Androids success is due to the fact that they copied iOS, that's certainly not the case with WP(wp didn't copy iOS or Android, its totally on its own). Even today if you compare an Android phone or an iPhone (running on iOS 4,5,6), you'll find many similarities. Do you remember the app switching feature in iOS 6? & now in iOS 7/7.1? It is clear that they copied WP, but still you don't see people complaining as it was important for them. I don't care if a company copies/steals other companies features, but that doesn't change the fact that Samsung is No.1 in copying & stealing features from others. As far as Steve Jobs is concerned, I really don't care what he said, I just know people appreciate new inventions & new features, not stealing or copying!

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Apple evidence against Samsung detailing samsung "allegedly" copied Apple iOS UI, presented in Apple-Samsung trial in 2012:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2012/08/06/apple-claims-samsung-copied-ios-graphics-for-touchwiz/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...legedly_show_samsung_copied_iphone_icons.html

Copying features is one thing but icons? Seriously? I know it ain't 100% copy, there are subtle differences but the irony is unmistakable. RIP creativity.

That said, Samsung has made a name of itself and I don't think they will ever repeat the same mistake again. They don't even need too.

In the end, I must note that Apple went on to win that trial(in US court of law).

I, hereby, rest my argument.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
yeah right
so im not allowed to criticise android at all right its soo perfect and invents everything
android may have got the scanner first but android lacks quality in alot of areas
WP and ios are more unique unlike android which was an ios clone since the start
android copied loads from symbian,meego,maemo and ripped off ios
its not really innovation and functionality,most androids fail to do basic stuff properly
ios and android arent very different today?? not really- ios 7 copied alot of wp and android stuff and android L copied ios 7 and WP design elements so yeah android L and ios 8 look very similiar and even have WPs design elements

you said good artists steal,great artists copy but for the regular consumer why would i want a phone filled with subpar "innovative" features,instead id get a seamless experience with another brand
the finger print scanner in the atrix and the galaxy s5 is a joke,iphone 5S has got it right

The copying argument is something you could have all day, all touchscreen devices originated from the iPhone, so in a sense not only Android but Windows Phone also ripped of Apple's idea.

While iOS may have copied some elements from the Windows Phone UI, they still differ a lot. Similar to how Android looks.

They all copy elements from each other, but this argument never involved iOS, it was between Android and Windows Phone and I would like to see how you prove that Android copied loads of stuff from Symbian, Windows Phone, etc.

The S5 sensor isn't as good as iPhone 5S sensor, but no one can beat the fingerprint sensors on Lumia 1520, 930 and Icon, right? OH WAIT, NO WINDOWS PHONE HAS A FINGERPRINT SENSOR. SO PLEASE DON'T ARGUE ABOUT A FINGERPRINT SENSOR ON A WP FORUM.

We should discuss Windows Phone, not iOS because iOS has copied tons from Android in both iOS 7 and 8, not to mention the copying that Apple had done prior to this.

I can't see why you guys make a big deal about copying, all OSes copy each other and try to bring the best possible experience to the user. Android, Windows Phone and iOS are all great operating systems depending on your preferences, but most experts place iOS and Android waaaayy higher than Windows Phone.

As far as copying & stealing is concerned, do you remember that Samsung galaxy S2 phones & its counterparts were banned solely because it copied an iPhone? Most of the Samsung galaxy phones were sold in huge numbers because it looked similar to an iPhone. Even Today there are many companies who make their phones similar to an iPhone because people buy it only due to the reason that it looks like an iPhone, its not that these phones have better built, better features, better looking than an iPhone, its only due to the reason that they are cheaper & more number of people could afford it. Years ago when Android came, at that time there were iPhone1 & 2. At that time I didn't knew about Android, so when my friend bought a new phone, I just asked him which iPhone was it? He said that it wasn't an iPhone, it was Android phone & he bought it because it looked like an iPhone/ iOS, since then number of people buying android has increased. At that time people were unable to distinguish between iOS & Android, so they kept on pushing out updates for Android so people could differentiate it. Androids success is due to the fact that they copied iOS, that's certainly not the case with WP(wp didn't copy iOS or Android, its totally on its own). Even today if you compare an Android phone or an iPhone (running on iOS 4,5,6), you'll find many similarities. Do you remember the app switching feature in iOS 6? & now in iOS 7/7.1? It is clear that they copied WP, but still you don't see people complaining as it was important for them. I don't care if a company copies/steals other companies features, but that doesn't change the fact that Samsung is No.1 in copying & stealing features from others. As far as Steve Jobs is concerned, I really don't care what he said, I just know people appreciate new inventions & new features, not stealing or copying!

If you think that Android's success is because of iOS, so is Windows Phone because iPhone was originally the first proper 'smartphone' with a proper touchscreen and OS and everything.

Windows Phone has indeed copied a lot, I believe that the whole concept of "live tiles" may have come from mixing iOS icons and Android's widgets.

Over the years, things such as a notification bar, power toggles, tap to beam, sharing options, file management, battery sense and data sense, etc...all came to Windows Phone directly from....ANDROID.

Samsung may have made mistakes in the past, they've copied but so has iPhone.

I don't think Android devices "looked" like iOS, neither through software or hardware(exceptions are there). Android was successful because of the openness. People didn't buy it because is looked like iPhone. I want some hard evidence of what you are saying.

And FOR THE LAST TIME the multitasking in Windows Phone was not made by Microsoft, and Apple did not copy it from Windows Phone, it originated from WebOS. It was possibly designed by Matias Duarte, who later started working in Android.

Sheesh, please get your facts right.

fyi symbian had a notif centre much before any other os
androids customisation is great but its also a con,two sides to one coin

I haven't found any sources that say that Symbian had a notification center before Android, but I did find this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...r-patent-years-after-googles-notification-bar

Plus if I am not wrong, power toggles originated in Android and Windows Phone and iOS have copied them, no?

Plus Android doesn't force you to heavily customize your device, it's up to the user so this is definitely not a con, it's an advantage.

Apple evidence against Samsung detailing samsung "allegedly" copied Apple iOS UI, presented in Apple-Samsung trial in 2012:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2012/08/06/apple-claims-samsung-copied-ios-graphics-for-touchwiz/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...legedly_show_samsung_copied_iphone_icons.html

Copying features is one thing but icons? Seriously? I know it ain't 100% copy, there are subtle differences but the irony is unmistakable. RIP creativity.

That said, Samsung has made a name of itself and I don't think they will ever repeat the same mistake again. They don't even need too.

In the end, I must note that Apple went on to win that trial(in US court of law).

I, hereby, rest my argument.

Samsung doesn't represent all of Android, does it? Sure Samsung could've copied certain icons and stuff but Samsung has a long list of innovation as well.

But we aren't supposed to discuss iOS here, it's between Android and Windows Phone.

And how can any of you forget? Did other OEMs not copy "Ok, Google" when they added "Hey Cortana" and "Hey Siri" to their platforms?

If Google clearly had the same problem that Apple and Windows Phone fans have with copying, both iOS and Windows Phone wouldn't be as advanced as they are today using many features that we're originally introduced in Android.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
What iteration of Symbian is that and from what year? Just curious.

View attachment 80319

According to Wikipedia, Symbian introduced a notification center in 2011, whereas Android introduced it years ago.

View attachment 80321

Happy now?

the dev versions of symbian anna were released in early 2009,my friend worked for nokias symbian division back then and had a dev phone
so yeah im not wrong

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
the dev versions of symbian anna were released in early 2009,my friend worked for nokias symbian division back then and had a dev phone
so yeah im not wrong

1410279431487.jpg

Even if that is true, Google didn't magically see the dev version notification center in a dream and copied it.

But with that said, Android still did it over an year ago.

Android introduced the notification center and power toggles(in the form of a widget) waaay before iOS, Windows Phone, Symbian, etc.

Oh and Android also nailed a universal search(apps, contacts, etc) way before iOS and Windows Phone but people forget. To read more:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/7/2585779/android-history

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

My LG expo, a Windows Mobile 6 phone released in 2009, had a fingerprint reader. I have also played with some older Windows Mobile Phones with fingerprint readers. It always annoys me when people say the Atrix was the 1st cell to have a fingerprint reader. It was the 1st Android device with a fingerprint reader. huge difference.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmad
In the early days when android came, people only bought it because it looked like iOS, & then android started pushing out updates so that people could differentiate between them. Didn't I mention this in my previous posts. World 1st touchscreen phone was invented by IBM Simon, not apple. So you need to get your facts right. You think that windows copied tile concept from apple or Android. BS. Its like saying when someone invents a new recipe it shouldn't have any ingredients of older one. If you could not understand the difference between windows live tiles & Android/iOS icons, I am really sorry for you. I also never said that multitasking was invented by Windows. Did I? I just said iOS 7's multitasking looked same as in windows. Also if you want to know about Android phones which looks like an iPhone, search through the internet because the list is too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss