If I need Great Customization Which OS will be Best for me as I know IOS don't have Customization so Wp or Android? If Android than Which Device?(No Samsung please)
    09-06-2014 05:06 PM
    i haven't had ios for ages, but i know it can be customized to a fair extent via JB

wp is next to nothing, android the most

i am not sure why you are asking about which phone in terms of the hardware as this is an OS issue as you have mentioned
    09-06-2014 05:38 PM
    Windows Phone customization is limited to the start screen for the most part.
    It's definitely a step up from the static iOS grid of apps, but Android is the way to go.

You can swap out launchers, themes, etc. on Android.
    What device? I personally would recommend a Nexus 4, 5 or Moto E, G, or X.
    HTC has a fine device in the One (M8) but it's not my cup-of-tea.
    09-06-2014 06:30 PM
    What kind of customization is important to you?

If you want to get things set for the way you use them I find Windows Phone great for that without a lot of fiddling about. I feel that everything I need is "close to the surface" and readily available. The level of gesture input to drive the UX satisfies me. I like the hardware I've experienced (Lumia 521 > 925 > 1520) and feel they give good "bang for the buck." I also feel the OS is evolving nicely and adding features that I want/use.

However, if you want to "get under the hood" and tinker around, it would be Android all the way.

Best Bet: Nexus. Almost impossible to brick. A target for every mod that comes along: Custom Android ROMS, Custom Kernels, Xposed Modules, Alternate OS ports.

Currently nothing beats Nexus 4 (IMHO) for flexibility. You have to give up LTE (unless you hack that in) but really not much else. (Caveat: Nexi are known for no SD card slot and sealed battery - for some that is a deal killer.) In the less than two years I had a Nexus 4 I used it as a daily driver, tried Xposed Framework, kept it updated to the very latest Factory Release of Android (and no other Android phone out side of Nexus has such immediate access to the latest versions), installed custom kernels, installed multiROM (which lets you boot into a choice of OS images), tried a port of Open webOS, tried a port of Firefox OS, ran Ubuntu Touch extensively, ran Sailfish OS extensively, flashed the heck out of the thing basically and it never quit doing what I asked.

Nexus 5 is more current and soon will catch up to and pass Nexus 4 as a port target ONLY because that hardware (N4) is starting to "age" in the eyes of those who create ports. I've not used a Nexus 5, but have used the predecessor to N4; Galaxy Nexus. I can extrapolate from that how the support and flexibility is inherent in the Nexus system and see no reason why that will not continue.

Ultimately, I decided I liked the tinkering with the device way more than the OS and have not had Android as a daily driver for quite some time. I've been on Windows Phone for a daily almost a year now and the N4 was just a hobby and a way to test alternate OS choices like Ubuntu and Sailfish.

I hope some of that is useful to you. Maybe start with some research in a store trying out a few devices... AT&T is probably the best bet in the US to get a feel for some higher end WP devices or maybe Verizon and check out the One (M8) for Windows Phone. Either will have Android flagships. I'd test out a flagship phones to get a feel for the capability.

If you are still in doubt, get your feet wet with something budget or gently used. That way you aren't out big bucks if you don't like how they handle day to day.
    BilalSoomro17 and xandros9 like this.
    09-06-2014 10:18 PM
    LOL... OK I just looked back and saw the OP wasn't new to Windows Phone...

Now I'm confused why BilalSoomro17 is asking in the Ask a Question section about OS choices.

Ignore the long post above. Bilal, your passport log-in gets you into Android Central, iMore, Crackberry and whatever else Mobile Nations publishes. Poke around those forums and ask some pointed questions.
    xandros9 and BilalSoomro17 like this.
    09-06-2014 10:25 PM
    What kind of customization is important to you?

If you want to get things set for the way you use them I find Windows Phone great for that without a lot of fiddling about. I feel that everything I need is "close to the surface" and readily available. The level of gesture input to drive the UX satisfies me. I like the hardware I've experienced (Lumia 521 > 925 > 1520) and feel they give good "bang for the buck." I also feel the OS is evolving nicely and adding features that I want/use.

However, if you want to "get under the hood" and tinker around, it would be Android all the way.

Best Bet: Nexus. Almost impossible to brick. A target for every mod that comes along: Custom Android ROMS, Custom Kernels, Xposed Modules, Alternate OS ports.

Currently nothing beats Nexus 4 (IMHO) for flexibility. You have to give up LTE (unless you hack that in) but really not much else. (Caveat: Nexi are known for no SD card slot and sealed battery - for some that is a deal killer.) In the less than two years I had a Nexus 4 I used it as a daily driver, tried Xposed Framework, kept it updated to the very latest Factory Release of Android (and no other Android phone out side of Nexus has such immediate access to the latest versions), installed custom kernels, installed multiROM (which lets you boot into a choice of OS images), tried a port of Open webOS, tried a port of Firefox OS, ran Ubuntu Touch extensively, ran Sailfish OS extensively, flashed the heck out of the thing basically and it never quit doing what I asked.

Nexus 5 is more current and soon will catch up to and pass Nexus 4 as a port target ONLY because that hardware (N4) is starting to "age" in the eyes of those who create ports. I've not used a Nexus 5, but have used the predecessor to N4; Galaxy Nexus. I can extrapolate from that how the support and flexibility is inherent in the Nexus system and see no reason why that will not continue.

Ultimately, I decided I liked the tinkering with the device way more than the OS and have not had Android as a daily driver for quite some time. I've been on Windows Phone for a daily almost a year now and the N4 was just a hobby and a way to test alternate OS choices like Ubuntu and Sailfish.

I hope some of that is useful to you. Maybe start with some research in a store trying out a few devices... AT&T is probably the best bet in the US to get a feel for some higher end WP devices or maybe Verizon and check out the One (M8) for Windows Phone. Either will have Android flagships. I'd test out a flagship phones to get a feel for the capability.

If you are still in doubt, get your feet wet with something budget or gently used. That way you aren't out big bucks if you don't like how they handle day to day.

Haha, I have a Nexus 5 and Android is definitely the way to go for customization. But iOS can get more customizable than Windows Phone if one has jailbreak(just saying).But it is possible to brick a Nexus device, it's pretty easy actually, just flash a ROM, radio, bootloader or kernel of some other device and it'll probably be bricked(though it could be recovered in some cases).
    09-07-2014 04:08 AM
    How about Z2?
    09-07-2014 11:12 AM
    Haha, I have a Nexus 5 and Android is definitely the way to go for customization. But iOS can get more customizable than Windows Phone if one has jailbreak(just saying).But it is possible to brick a Nexus device, it's pretty easy actually, just flash a ROM, radio, bootloader or kernel of some other device and it'll probably be bricked(though it could be recovered in some cases).
    Oh, I've made my N4 non-functional at a couple of points, but have always recovered it. When it's bricked, it's just done.

How about Z2?
    โ€‹I hear good things about Sony Hardware, but I believe they are pretty locked down.
    09-07-2014 11:56 AM
    But Nexus don't attract me Sony does
    09-07-2014 11:59 AM
    Oh, I've made my N4 non-functional at a couple of points, but have always recovered it. When it's bricked, it's just done.

โ€‹I hear good things about Sony Hardware, but I believe they are pretty locked down.
    Yeah Nexus 4 has been one of the lucky ones, I saw someone on XDA who accidentally flashed an S4 ROM on his Nexus 4, yet he recovered it and posted a guide for people to do the same.

But Nexus don't attract me Sony does
    Sony has been pretty supportive to the AOSP community, the UI is quite customizable but nothing beats a rooted Nexus device.
    BilalSoomro17 likes this.
    09-07-2014 02:02 PM