10-11-2014 03:51 PM
194 12345 ...
tools
    I am a windows phone fan and user like everyone else here, but take the Microsoft goggles off. Larger screen, faster 64 bit processor,, more on board memory and finally a company really pushing NFC into reality. On top of that an actual preorder date for new phones and an actual date that everyone will get an OS upgrade. Microsoft has nothing at this point, especially in the USA - just corny Cortana vs Siri commercials showcasing a $100 phone with no front camera or rear flash with a whopping 512 memory. They look real pathetic at this point, let's hope they have something real soon or WP will be another Zune.
    Er... what?? Even if we"took the Microsoft goggles off" none of it makes sense...
    64bit processor? Sucks your battery dry in 4 hours.
    Larger screen? 1520!
    NFC ...what?? Android had it since like day one...

512 mb phones? Where? All are NEW ones have 1GB AFAIK..
    No FFC? Which one?
    And those commercials are way better than iCrap ads cause they DON'T LIE to the customers..show the product as is...

I think it's time to put on some glasses and do a reality check my friend.

Coded from a Clover Trail+ Machine!
    09-14-2014 03:01 PM
    Apple brought NOTHING special in terms of hardware to the iPhone. They brought it mostly back up to speed with competing hardward but its nothing special unless you love how thin and light it is but that is really a gimmick. What will sell the iPhones the best is not the iPhone6 and 6+ but ios8. Because its not android and the up to date software Apple is still nicely in the race. Though I don't see it getting really more or less customers.

Microsoft is put in a good position for the future I think to really provide with the next OS some really outstanding features and looks to their phone OS and Windows PC OS.

Android will remain #1. I think next year and 2016 can be a really good year for MS if they can pull off some good stuff for their phone OS and have good integration with other windows products and if so the hardware will come faster and more phone will be available. Next year they will probably release their next flagship phone.

The problem with Microsoft is that the "mineshare" had fallen. They haven't released anything that can compete with the latest android and iPhones. The iphone upgrade from the 5s may not be the best enhancement that apple has done. But the total package from hardware, software and ecosystem, with hardware and apps leaves windows phone in the dust.

I currently have a iphone 5s. There is nothing on the market besides the iphone 6 that I would upgrade to. If maybe there was an update with the 1020 of course with top of the line specs that I would get it. Maybe....

As for phone weight being a gimmick, I also own a Lumia 920, the thing is a tank. I don't think the width and weight are gimmicks, rather features and great engineering.
    09-14-2014 03:11 PM
    The number one complaint about the iPhone that I've personally seen or heard was the screen size. AAPL fixed that in the iPhone6. And based on the number of shattered iPhone4 and 5 screens I've seen (I would swear that half the iPhones I've seen have shattered screens).
    I like it. More business for me!!
    09-14-2014 03:16 PM
    The problem with Microsoft is that the "mineshare" had fallen. They haven't released anything that can compete with the latest android and iPhones. The iphone upgrade from the 5s may not be the best enhancement that apple has done. But the total package from hardware, software and ecosystem, with hardware and apps leaves windows phone in the dust.

I currently have a iphone 5s. There is nothing on the market besides the iphone 6 that I would upgrade to. If maybe there was an update with the 1020 of course with top of the line specs that I would get it. Maybe....

As for phone weight being a gimmick, I also own a Lumia 920, the thing is a tank. I don't think the width and weight are gimmicks, rather features and great engineering.
    I don't get it. I seriously don't. Its just apps that WP lacks. Otherwise the devices are blazing fast..I have two iPads and a MacBook Air. On my Mini, apps crash every now and then..but let's but get there..

MS had released quite a few good devices in all honesty...but if you want to compare it to Android and Apple I don't know how are you going to achieve that..
    4 out of 5 points are going to be apps..

portalfocus likes this.
    09-14-2014 04:03 PM
    People have been saying this for like the past 3 revisions in a row, and Apple continues to sell them like crazy. I'm pretty sure they're not concerned about small groups of people on the internet being disappointed.
    09-14-2014 06:27 PM
    I don't get it. I seriously don't. Its just apps that WP lacks. Otherwise the devices are blazing fast..I have two iPads and a MacBook Air. On my Mini, apps crash every now and then..but let's but get there..

MS had released quite a few good devices in all honesty...but if you want to compare it to Android and Apple I don't know how are you going to achieve that..
    4 out of 5 points are going to be apps..

It isn't just apps, my windows phone when connected to my cars USB only works as a charger while my iPhone works as an iPod and charger, I could shell out more money maybe to have a windows phone work but none are supported. Also, it's the first party Apps, my family is affluent, so they have money, affluent in terms of middle class or household income of above 100k, not upper class, they all have iPhones, FaceTime had replaced Skype, as well as iMessage which you can continue your text and phone calls onto your MAC are great feature with iOS 8 and the next MAC OS. It's stereo systems that have (works with iPhone/iPods), it's iCloud. The only windows phones worth buying right now is the 930/icon, and the 1520, yet both will be dated shortly.

The m8 is the best looking phone on the market yet. It has the a bad camera. The iPhone has no faults, the iPhone 6 plus has improved battery life, great camera, and nice housing. The Apps are a big deal, and is the biggest deal to most.
    09-14-2014 06:42 PM
    Wow way to be entirely to literal. What I should have said is 78% higher resolution. Feel better?
    Edit: Doing my own math again, the normal 2560x1440 isn't 75% bigger, it's roughly 33%. >_>;
    09-15-2014 07:49 AM
    Wrong. 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels.

2560x1440 = 3,686,400

So that would be 59% more pixels...which is still considerably more... You are just wanting to argue.
    09-15-2014 08:39 AM

Spot on.

All in all there really isn't anything out there that can compete with the iPhone in a meaningful way. Samsung can make fun of it as much as they want, but Apple will still sell millions.

Microsoft has no play here. All they really have is imaging, but they don't seem to be in a rush to get the next imaging flagship out.

Windows "phone" is decent, it works for the most part, but its not enough to steer the masses it's way.

The other thing is price. Cheap phones sell, but its not good for the ecosystem in general since that demographic is less likely to spend money in the app store..
    09-16-2014 01:47 AM
    Er... what?? Even if we"took the Microsoft goggles off" none of it makes sense...
    64bit processor? Sucks your battery dry in 4 hours.
    Larger screen? 1520!
    NFC ...what?? Android had it since like day one...

512 mb phones? Where? All are NEW ones have 1GB AFAIK..
    No FFC? Which one?
    And those commercials are way better than iCrap ads cause they DON'T LIE to the customers..show the product as is...

I think it's time to put on some glasses and do a reality check my friend.

Your wrong regarding 64 bit, Microsoft is now the odd one out, both Apple and Google both have 64 bit platforms.
    09-16-2014 10:43 AM
    Microsoft should give up marketing Windows Phone in the US.
    Their only hope is in Europe and emerging markets, where unique style is appreciated.
    I agree with your assessment about giving up in the US, but I disagree regarding Europe.

I believe they have also lost ground in Europe especially after acquiring Nokia.

Once Microsoft retires the Nokia brand, I'm afraid it is game over for them in Europe as well.
    Microsoft marketshare seems to be waning worldwide.
    09-16-2014 10:48 AM
    Your wrong regarding 64 bit, Microsoft is now the odd one out, both Apple and Google both have 64 bit platforms.
    Nope...NOT anymore...

http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/09/0...windows-phone/

09-16-2014 11:13 AM
    Have you guys never saw this benchmarking? The 1520 beat in GPU performance the iPhone 6.

http://i58.tinypic.com/169gtaq.png
    09-16-2014 09:15 PM
    Yes...

The Wall Street Journal, Engadget, and CNET ran stress tests to see how the iPhone 6's battery held up under extended use. Geoffrey Fowler of The Wall Street Journal said the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 died before his iPhone 5s did after he cranked the screen's brightness up to 100% and streamed video.

Read more: iPhone 6 Battery Life - Business Insider
    09-16-2014 10:53 PM
    Wrong. 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels.

2560x1440 = 3,686,400

So that would be 59% more pixels...which is still considerably more... You are just wanting to argue.
    What happened to the 78% claim?

Edit: Also, my calculator shows that 1080p is 56% in terms of pixels compared to the 1440. That would imply a 44% increase, not a 59%. It might seem pedantic to you, but using real data is important to me.
    Last edited by Michael Alan Goff; 09-17-2014 at 08:20 AM.
    09-17-2014 07:37 AM
    I personally think the iPhone 6 and 6 plus leaves windows phone in the dust in the US Market. There is nothing that can compare to the iPhone at this moment.

As said earlier in this thread, all they have is these Cortana ads (Cortana with Bing are so much better than Siri), $100 phones and nothing that excites me. They have announced the M8 for T-Mobile and At&T but no release date, and that phone lacks a good camera

I am thinking the iPhone 6plus will be my next, It is honestly a sad state in Windows Phone right now. In the US Market, people are buying Samsung and Apple phones. They are buying the high end phones. There is nothing available for my carrier and nothing that has been released in the US market except for the M8 on Verizon but that is only on one carrier at the moment and once the other carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) get it, the phone will loose its lust.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Clearly you are forgetting the 1520 Mr "Ambassador".

1520 has:

more RAM (2GB > 1)
    faster GPU (see recent phone gaming benchmarks)
    more MP (20MP > 8)
    microSD for unlimited storage
    longer battery life
    4K video (with Denim)
    FM radio
    Multiple microphones for superior sound recording
    Can purchase with wireless charging (1520.3)
    About half the price
    and... ships today
    09-17-2014 07:56 AM
    I just switched over to my L1520 from my Apple 4S and while at first I was all "GO WINDOWS PHONE, FORGET iPHONE," I find myself now understanding why a larger chunk of the population loves their iPhone; I think it's just because it just works. I don't have to find a work around for a missing app or make do with a so-so app since there's nothing else available.

If I want to check on my friends on Facebook, I can click on the official app from the company and not a mock up from Microsoft which doesn't even have most of the functionality of it's IOS counterpart. How about depositing a check? On the iPhone I just open up my bank's app and there you go. On WP? Drive to the bank cause more likely than not your bank doesn't have an app on WP. How about watching my tv show on amazon prime? Oh no, I forgot they don't have an app for WP.

I don't want to sound totally down on WP; I really like my 1520 but frankly speaking, if it wasn't for the awesome Nokia Lumia camera on this thing and the lack of a SD card on the iPhone I would probably want the iPhone 6+.

Probably Microsoft's focus should be less about taking down Apple or Samsung and be more about differentiating themselves from those guys a bit more. When it comes down to it if people had to choose between an iPhone and a WP which both do the exact same thing, I'd bet they'd chose the iPhone.
    Bodeanicus and aaron j like this.
    09-17-2014 10:07 AM
    Nope...NOT anymore...

http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/09/0...windows-phone/

That's one piece of the puzzle,
    64 bit os and apps are missing.
    09-17-2014 10:13 AM
    What happened to the 78% claim?

Edit: Also, my calculator shows that 1080p is 56% in terms of pixels compared to the 1440. That would imply a 44% increase, not a 59%. It might seem pedantic to you, but using real data is important to me.
    Forgive me if I'm misinterpretting this argument, but if you're looking for a percentage change in the in pixel real-estate...

%delta = (value2 - value1)/value 1, so.... (3686400 - 2073600) / 2073600 = 1612800 / 2073600 = .777....8 so approximately 77.7 percent so about 78% increase. Assuming the pixel density is correct, the original number holds.
    09-17-2014 10:39 AM
    Even if the iPhone 6 was a disappointment, there is NOTHING MS can do to have a chance any more.
    They are 3-4 years behind in terms of software features and applications.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    09-17-2014 10:52 AM
    Swipe Keyboard is still not available on iPhone, both Windows Phone and Android have it !
    I can't believe the phone hasn't launched and it sold out within 48hrs. People are lemmings, or suckers ! People like to be told what they need, and Apple is good at doing this !
    09-17-2014 10:57 AM
    Even if the iPhone 6 was a disappointment, there is NOTHING MS can do to have a chance any more.
    They are 3-4 years behind in terms of software features and applications.
    I'm not sure that MS can ever catch up to Apple or Samsung in terms of numbers, I think they can still carve a nice niche for themselves in a smaller demographic. Maybe make their phones the best darn camera phone out there; push that Lumia Pureview tech for as far as it goes. Make people who're looking to replace their camera with their phone (like me) consider MS for just that reason. Or make their phones the best thing out there for watching movies or tv shows, a media beast.

But as for getting any sizable market share, it's probably a bit too late.
    09-17-2014 10:59 AM
    I'm not sure that MS can ever catch up to Apple or Samsung in terms of numbers, I think they can still carve a nice niche for themselves in a smaller demographic. Maybe make their phones the best darn camera phone out there; push that Lumia Pureview tech for as far as it goes. Make people who're looking to replace their camera with their phone (like me) consider MS for just that reason. Or make their phones the best thing out there for watching movies or tv shows, a media beast.

But as for getting any sizable market share, it's probably a bit too late.
    At this point Windows Phones, are a niche market. Hopefully that changes, it will take time !
    09-17-2014 11:59 AM
    Swipe Keyboard is still not available on iPhone, both Windows Phone and Android have it !
    I can't believe the phone hasn't launched and it sold out within 48hrs. People are lemmings, or suckers ! People like to be told what they need, and Apple is good at doing this !
    I'm not sure it's that people like to be told what they need but more about people liking stuff that works without any hassles or need for compromise. That's what Apple brings.

Now that I've been using WP8.1 for a while I can see a bit more clearly why Apple does so well with the masses. The iPhone is dead simple to use and has all the app support.
    09-17-2014 01:11 PM
    I'm not sure it's that people like to be told what they need but more about people liking stuff that works without any hassles or need for compromise. That's what Apple brings.

Now that I've been using WP8.1 for a while I can see a bit more clearly why Apple does so well with the masses. The iPhone is dead simple to use and has all the app support.
    I've never used an Apple computer. I couldn't understand when people were saying they didn't understand Windows8. It could be that I've been using Windows since version 3.0/3.1. How easy do you want an OS, Linux is by far easy to figure out. I suppose from hard to easy it's Linux > Windows > iOS.
    09-17-2014 02:18 PM
194 12345 ...