10-11-2014 04:51 PM
194 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I've never used an Apple computer. I couldn't understand when people were saying they didn't understand Windows8. It could be that I've been using Windows since version 3.0/3.1. How easy do you want an OS, Linux is by far easy to figure out. I suppose from hard to easy it's Linux > Windows > iOS.
    What I heard wasn't that people didn't understand Windows 8, it was that they didn't LIKE Windows 8 with all the metro apps and such. It was such a departure from the previous iteration that it might've been too much changes too soon.

I've been using Windows all my life so for me using a Mac is far from simple or easy but everyone's more comfortable with whatever OS they've been using the longest. Apple's leading in the smartphone wars not because they have the better phone but because they've made it easier to use and have more people hooked on it.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    09-17-2014 06:28 PM
    Let's be real, the reason Microsoft isn't in the game is because they started late. The iPhone sucked when it came out and there was no apps for about 2 years. If Microsoft just had some kind of matching hardware, maybe at least capacitive touch screens would have been nice, and they would have been in the the game. Instead they spent 3-4 years building a mobile operating system, and then added some cheap hardware to get things off the ground. Apple started a culture in America and then their founder died before he could turn it into an empire. Really, Steve jobs passing away was the only reason Samsung became the world juggernaut it set out to be. They saw the opening and attacked.

Microsoft in all honesty is about 5 years behind as a mobile brand, as far as sales go. They do have the potential to move up quickly with lower to (cheap)medium end devices on the cheap and they need to have two phones in the premium section to make it easier for the carriers to accept them and upgrade them every year (just like Apple and Samsung)(Galaxy S and note Lines/2 different iPhones). If they go with that model, then maybe carriers won't deny phones, for example the 1520. Hopefully Microsoft sees the potential in these phones and gives the public and carriers what they want. It seems the market is either high spec-high quality metal($550-$750) or medium spec-poly-carbonate($200-$250 or less). No more middle of the road stuff like Samsung because that only works when you sell 80-90 million phones a quarter.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    09-21-2014 05:35 AM
    The iPhone has no faults, the iPhone 6 plus has improved battery life, great camera, and nice housing. The Apps are a big deal, and is the biggest deal to most.
    No device is perfect. The iPhone 6 does indeed have its own share of problems. For starters, it's actually rather fragile. I fully understand drop tests and scratch tests are not to be taken seriously; after all my Lumia 900 broke after a single drop, whereas my dad's SII is perfect after 17 drops. I've never seen a phone perform poorer in a drop test EVER until I the iPhone 6 came along. Nor has upgrading to iOS8, nor has every iP6 sold to date been flawless; a quick glance on the net reveals that not everyone is a happy customer.

You also listed an entire Apple Ecosystem. Sure, if you have Macs, iPhones, iPads/Pods then you're already heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem and the handover thing will benefit you. But to overlook the fact MS has, and is developing their own version of this technology would discount them from the game. And let's be realistic, in the desktop space the majority of people still use Windows.

Apple ecosystem isn't a sign of affluence, either. Just because their stuff is overpriced, doesn't mean those who invest must be well-off (certainly not when I - bizarrely enough - see even paupers with iDevices these days). I could win the lottery for all I care, I'd still not buy an Apple product because I can get better value elsewhere, be it in customising my own laptop and hand-picking my own components, or whatever. Heck, if I wanted to rip myself off I'd get a SP3 as it's far more appealing to me than an iPad. At least I'd be able to run ALL of my computer games on it.
    Last edited by WDavis4692; 09-22-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    Didier3001 likes this.
    09-21-2014 09:42 AM
    The iPhone6 doesn't have swipe keyboard even as of version 6 of this phone, while Android and Microsoft have it both available. I almost have a complete Windows Ecosystem the only thing I'm missing is a Surface Pro, atleast I can say I'm more then halfway there, that is besides the point. The point is the iPhone is hype, when Apple announces a new phone, it is equivalent to the scene in Lion King when the cub lion is being held up, except replace the cub with a iPhone; is it as if it is a religious item sent from above and as a Catholic this is ridiculous. No matter where you live in the world, I'm sure you heard about the lines up, whether it was hundreds, or thousands as in the case where I live.

I am completely happy and satisfied with my Nokia 1520, and if the debate should arise between an iPhone6 Plus user and myself, I have plenty of ammunition, including the cliche the Nokia is bigger, I have swipe keyboard, a killer Camera, 4K video recording coming soon and much more. What Microsoft needs to do, is give most models of the Windows Phone, or Windows as it will be changed to soon features, pile on the features, think of this metaphor, while everyone is in a rush to get the one inch diamond, a small group are getting the eight inch diamond, that being Windows Phone / Windows.

Android users will come out swinging and can say we had some of those features before Windows Phone, yes this may be true, but many Android users have models that even they admit can't compare to the higher end Windows Phone, especially the 1520. There is a generation of Android Phones to be released that supposedly will be great, as so they say, that is why I say Microsoft needs to promote the Phones better. which we all can agree with, and keep adding features. One other thing, most Nokia are built quite well, material wise compared to iPhones, just another weapon I or you can use if you should get into a debate with an Apple user as I have a few weeks ago, and most recently with a BlackBerry user, that is a different story for a different topic.
    09-21-2014 09:48 PM
    My iPhone 5s has a swipe type of keyboard. I am currently using swift key.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    09-21-2014 09:54 PM
    , that is why I say Microsoft needs to promote the Phones better.
    Like kids mode. how long have we had that? and now stupid samsung pretends its unique and groundbreaking
    09-21-2014 10:01 PM
    My iPhone 5s has a swipe type of keyboard. I am currently using swift key.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    Hrm, how effective is, the swipe keyboard on Windows Phone is superb, the only issue I have is if I type lets say the word "Operation" and the first two letters I type without swiping, in this case "OP" then I want to finish the rest of the word using swipe keyboard, there is a space between "Op" "eration"
    09-21-2014 11:07 PM
    Like kids mode. how long have we had that? and now stupid samsung pretends its unique and groundbreaking
    HaHa that is the problem, Microsoft adds the gems, as they should continue to do, no one knows about them. Someone else comes along in this case Samsung and claims it as their own. I told a Android user at work, I'll soon be able to record 4K video, they said to me, "yeah right, that can't be". I replied, it can be they just replied "your a liar" then I just gave up on the conversation.

Microsoft can add amazing features, and they should as I've said, with the small market they have who will know ? I don't think Microsoft is going to trash Windows Phone, they are just under going some major house cleaning, which positions there mobile area, down in the dumps but one of there top priorities is the mobile platform.
    09-21-2014 11:10 PM
    I got my 6 a few days ago .. hardly a disappointment to be honest. Its the first iPhone that feels right..I've had them all since the 4
    jamesschaeffer likes this.
    09-21-2014 11:48 PM
    I've been very critical of Windows Phone but I think MS should keep it going. A constant recurring theme I hear in multiple threads on multiple forums is I'm bored with my phone. Odds are that eventually the iPhone will become boring to enough of the masses and MS can take advantage of that, which they can only do if they have a mobile offering. MS has nothing to lose in the mobile space, with such a low market share they can reboot the OS until something gains traction. iOS on the other hand will be more slow moving because it is well established with a large user base, which IMO Apple will be scared of upsetting with any major changes. iOS is Apple's Windows a blessing and a problem at the same time.
    ReprobusR likes this.
    09-22-2014 12:24 AM
    I've been very critical of Windows Phone but I think MS should keep it going. A constant recurring theme I hear in multiple threads on multiple forums is I'm bored with my phone. Odds are that eventually the iPhone will become boring to enough of the masses and MS can take advantage of that, which they can only do if they have a mobile offering. MS has nothing to lose in the mobile space, with such a low market share they can reboot the OS until something gains traction. iOS on the other hand will be more slow moving because it is well established with a large user base, which IMO Apple will be scared of upsetting with any major changes. iOS is Apple's Windows a blessing and a problem at the same time.
    Well written ! If Microsoft comes out with something that can shift the gears, Apple will be worried. Microsoft is a threat to Apple as long as Apple can keep MS at a distance for now, they are safe, for now, that is ! As much as Android has most of the market, what OS has most of the market in the world, Windows ! It can shift Microsoft direction, they dominate most desktops.
    Low Kok Hin likes this.
    09-22-2014 12:49 AM
    Wow, some IMPATIENT rich (or probably dumb) guy just bought an iPhone 6 Plus, for MYR7800 here in Malaysia from a local phone shop.. that's 2413.74 US dollars (according to Google) for the 64GB version. *facepalm* Scalpers rejoice!

He could have just went down to Singapore and get the 128GB version for S$1448.. that's 1158.12 US dollars.
    Or he could also buy from the US Apple website for just $949 (excluding taxes).

Source: iPhone 6 Plus for RM7800, Anyone? | Lowyat.NET
    broar94 likes this.
    09-22-2014 04:24 AM
    "The iPhone 6 is a disappointment"

​What major phones have come to WP this year that have been amazingly innovative?
    Nothing too innovative, but plenty of (cheap) choice. iPhone6 would be just fine if it cost half as much as it does, but for 950€, a phone needs to print money and have a wish genie on a speed dial.
    09-22-2014 07:33 AM
    Nothing too innovative, but plenty of (cheap) choice. iPhone6 would be just fine if it cost half as much as it does, but for 950€, a phone needs to print money and have a wish genie on a speed dial.
    Or work well enough and be worth that much money to the person buying it. The problem that Microsoft has had this year is a lack of BIG releases. As you said, they have plenty of cheap phones. Windows on phones is going to be like Windows desktops (and no, not the user base most likely). Windows on phones is going to be associated with the cheapest hardware imaginable, and that's not a good thing.
    chezm likes this.
    09-22-2014 08:33 AM
    I am a windows phone fan and user like everyone else here, but take the Microsoft goggles off. Larger screen, faster 64 bit processor,, more on board memory and finally a company really pushing NFC into reality. On top of that an actual preorder date for new phones and an actual date that everyone will get an OS upgrade. Microsoft has nothing at this point, especially in the USA - just corny Cortana vs Siri commercials showcasing a $100 phone with no front camera or rear flash with a whopping 512 memory. They look real pathetic at this point, let's hope they have something real soon or WP will be another Zune.
    Way to put a downer on my day, dude!
    I just paused and re read your comment, and it is spot on. Now in going to have to go read about those bendy iPhones again to cheer myself up... Lol
    09-24-2014 10:16 AM
    I know you can be on any forum you choose, if some of you are so fanatical about the iPhone, why are you on a Windows Phone forum ? And in-case some you didn't know, the amount of money it costs Apple to make an iPhone6 is, first I will say it sells for roughly $950.00US and the actual cost to make the iPhone6:

$270.00 US

I know you can do the math, but that is over $600 profit for Apple !
    09-24-2014 10:24 AM
    I know you can be on any forum you choose, if some of you are so fanatical about the iPhone, why are you on a Windows Phone forum ? And in-case some you didn't know, the amount of money it costs Apple to make an iPhone6 is, first I will say it sells for roughly $950.00US and the actual cost to make the iPhone6:

$270.00 US

And they sold 10 million of them in a weekend. $600 * 10 million? I'll take it! Apple is brilliant.
    chezm likes this.
    09-24-2014 11:00 AM
    And they sold 10 million of them in a weekend. $600 * 10 million? I'll take it! Apple is brilliant.
    I'll give them that they're brilliant in marketing, always have been. Though, not so much in crowd control when it comes to a widespread problem, which I'm wondering what they'll do with the Plus Bend.
    09-24-2014 11:16 AM
    Exactly, im not sure what the point of the previous statement was...other than proving Apple is damn smart, and shows how willingly their fans (new and old) are to adopt new hardware within a weekend release. Can you really bash them for their over-achieved success? Even I watch Apple commercials and they get me moving lol.
    09-24-2014 11:21 AM
    I'll give them that they're brilliant in marketing, always have been. Though, not so much in crowd control when it comes to a widespread problem, which I'm wondering what they'll do with the Plus Bend.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle it. I wouldn't write them off. Apple will probably come out on top!
    09-24-2014 11:23 AM
    I will say that their is maybe a chance lol but then to really think carefully is what chances do they have? Well hardware wise everything is similarly matched to apple. But then its the OS that is really proving the stability between the two. No matter what hardware is under the hood. Keep in mind iPhone 5 hardware is matched similarly to nokias midranged hardware phones. But the OS is what's driving apples stability. If our OS starts getting stable yes we have a chance. How many of us use 512mb ram phones and play games thats crashing all the time lol. But on iPhone 5-4 it doesn't? Thats the game changer. Stabalize the OS. Get it on par. If good software can drive MS great hardware. Yes we will come out on top obviously. And for the prices we pay for our phones with reasonable hardware and a growing OS. Yup we can take over.
    09-24-2014 11:31 AM
    I wouldn't call them brilliant, they need you to buy it, that makes you a sucker.
    09-24-2014 11:52 AM
    No, i would call it brilliant marketing. The announcement launch streamed at apple.com could barely handle the load of worldwide viewers, the preorders 4+ million. They know how to get people excited by their products, they are legendary when it comes to marketing. They wouldnt have the mass market appeal if they produced poor products. Sure i know most people here laugh at Apple products and their fans for being so loyal, but go through these forums and tell me you dont see similar fanboys here.

"Its the same device, just with a bigger screen". True, and you know what? Thats a justified reason for a large number of people to invest in the product. Is it overdue? Sure it is, but thats Apple Marketing at its finest...and dominating. People can say what they want, the reality is people use their mobile phones daily (basically live off them), so a LARGE number of people have no problem re-investing every year for something they depend on and use daily. Do I think the fans are crazy to purchase the latest iPhone every year? Sure, but i can understand why they do it...whether i find it absurd or not.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    09-24-2014 12:24 PM

$270.00 US

This sort of thing is total and complete BS and I hate to see when this garbage is passed around. There's far more that goes into a product than just the parts themselves. Research is expensive. Developing a product to bring it to market is expensive. And yes, even marketing a product on the scale that Apple does is expensive. They don't just flip a switch and pop out a device.

I get that we all prefer non-iPhone products, but that's no reason to ignore facts.
    tgp, chezm and carlos12001 like this.
    09-24-2014 12:32 PM
    Fanboy? Who said MS hasn't been a disappointment so far in 2014? You see, many Windows Phone users, including myself, have put MS to the fire on their hardware strategy. That's a good thing as it holds the company accountable. I'm glad people are asking for SD card, removable batteries, waterproofing, wireless charging and whatever.

Meanwhile, looking at this thread and many others, not a single Apple apologist has called out Apple for a mid-tier resolution on the 4.7, or lack of SD card, or mid-tier camera resolution, or 1 GB RAM, or anything with their hardware. This why people say Apple has a cult-like mentality. Their company can do no wrong. I'm not calling any individual out as I'm not here to offend people, but just pointing out the obvious. Interesting case study on human psychology really.
    That's because no one but alpha nerd fanboys care about specs. We're about 1% of the phone using population. Joe Sixpack and his grandmother couldn't care less. The iPhone is in the top hardware tier when it's released. Is it THE absolute best? No, but it's near the top. Not that that matters. People buy the iPhone for the EXPERIENCE and QUALITY. You know, like real quality apps, not 3rd party knockoffs written by some dude in his spare time (no offense, Rudy, you're great.) The ability to walk into a brick and mortar store in any mid to large city in most industrialized nations if they have an issue. The ability to make back 1/3 to 1/2 selling their old device when the new one arrives. Actual useful new features added every generation (fingerprint reader, Apple Pay, Siri, etc.)

The attitudes expressed on this forum is whey Microsoft will never succeed with Windows Phone. No one will call them out on their moronic and incompetent decisios. Just fanboys making excuses, living in denial. Microsoft is going to pull the plug on this thing within 2 years, guaranteed. The only reason it's still alive is they don't want to lose face. Well, it's too late. It's done. 3% marketshare after 4 years. 4 YEARS. And now they release half-***ed phones that are actually the same or worse than their predecessors, and are STILL pricing them too high. I give up. I really, really tried to stick with Windows Phone. I really like the OS, but Microsoft's complete cluelessness on how to turn this around is ridiculous. How a company with this much money, and this much experience could screw up this badly is beyond me. Keep high fiving each other and bragging about useless specs. Your phone will have your Zune to keep it company.
    09-24-2014 01:52 PM
194 ... 23456 ...