10-11-2014 04:51 PM
194 ... 678
tools
    Here's the first paragraph from the Wikipedia entry on "smartphone":
    "A smartphone (or smart phone) is a mobile phone with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones.[1][2][3]Smartphones typically include the features of a phone with those of another popular consumer device, such as a personal digital assistant, a media player, a digital camera, and/or a GPS navigation unit. Later smartphones include all of those plus the features of a touchscreen computer, including web browsing, Wi-Fi, 3rd-party apps, motion sensor and mobile payment."

At no point on that page does it say ANYTHING about FM radio being a requisite feature on a smartphone.

Personally, in all of my years in IT and as a smartphone user, the first phone with FM radio was the Lumia 520 I had for a few weeks. I never once used it.

Just because YOU like, want, and use FM radio on your smartphone does not make it a requisite function for a smartphone.
    I will fight you in your way then. Read the first line. "A smartphone (or smart phone) is a mobile phone with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones" How is the iPhone advanced as compared to a basic phone when it doesn't have an fm chip, sd slot, file manager and a removable battery? Kindly enlighten me. I don't see any viable alternate form of tech implemented in the iPhone for these basic features.

And yes,I do want fm in my phone, as do half the people in the world. Your country is not the whole world,ya know. 99% of people in developing countries listen to fm as their primary source of news, for free. You have to pay to listen to fm on an iPhone. How is that "advanced technology" than a basic phone? I would advise you to read what you post, and most importantly, see and understand the logic behind it. You just shot yourself in the foot by posting that Wikipedia article lol
    Timbre70 likes this.
    10-10-2014 04:21 PM
    The title of this thread is nonsensical because it's totally subjective, there's still millions of people who absolutely love the iphone6.
    10-10-2014 04:24 PM
    How is the iPhone advanced as compared to a basic phone when it doesn't have an fm chip, sd slot, file manager and a removable battery?
    This is such an absolutely ludicrous question I don't even know where to start, much less if I even should. I probably shouldn't. I mean, are you really asking that question?
    carlos12001 likes this.
    10-10-2014 04:53 PM
    I honestly believe that the lack of real advances in iOS and the recent announcements from MS about the continuity across platforms is indeed an opportunity for MS. Many app developers, who have waited or simply avoided WP all together, are likely to jump at the chance if they now have the opportunity to have their apps not only on WP, but on all Windows machines. From a monetary standpoint, they would be crazy not to.
    10-10-2014 05:00 PM
    I will fight you in your way then. Read the first line. "A smartphone (or smart phone) is a mobile phone with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones" How is the iPhone advanced as compared to a basic phone when it doesn't have an fm chip, sd slot, file manager and a removable battery? Kindly enlighten me. I don't see any viable alternate form of tech implemented in the iPhone for these basic features.

And yes,I do want fm in my phone, as do half the people in the world. Your country is not the whole world,ya know. 99% of people in developing countries listen to fm as their primary source of news, for free. You have to pay to listen to fm on an iPhone. How is that "advanced technology" than a basic phone? I would advise you to read what you post, and most importantly, see and understand the logic behind it. You just shot yourself in the foot by posting that Wikipedia article lol
    By Wikipedia's definition of a smartphone, the iPhone is indeed one. It offers more computing power and more connectivity options than a basic feature phone.

Certain things are dropped based on how popular they are, and based on what the company believes is right for the consumers.

I have yet to hear of a feature phone with a file manager, hell Windows Phone got it just recently. You'll have to realise that file managers aren't as important to people, as *YOU* think they are.

But there is a solution, if you really really need a file manager you can:

A) Jailbreak(not possible yet).
    B) move to Android(most iOS users disagree)
    C) Move to Windows Phone and lose maybe a few hundreds of thousands of quality apps.

If a file manager was a big of a thing as you make it out to be, no one would be buying an iPhone.

Moving onto a removable battery and SD slot and radio, there are Windows Phones out there that have none of these, or lack one thing or the other and I don't see you complaining about them in the least. Nor do I seem them as any less of a "smartphone" for not having one of these features.

Moving on your next so called "statistics" where did you get to know that half the people in the world need FM?

As far as developing countries go, where did you read that 99% of the people listen to FM? Also what is the percentage of people in developing countries that own an iPhone? How many of them complain about not having an FM Radio?

Seriously your data plan can be unlimited, like the ones in my country, those that afford a $800+ smartphone usually have unlimited 2G or 3G on their smartphones, if they truly needed FM they can stream it. So there are viable solutions out there.

Going back to OP's topic, Nokia/Microsoft makes great smartphones but they are mostly bottlenecked by Windows Phone which still isn't as mature as iOS or Android, this is what I believe I could be wrong.
    10-10-2014 05:00 PM
    First rule of thumb when buying an expensive device is that you know you have to pay for data to use it's full potential, why would i buy a smartphone without a good data plan or if i know i cant access to WIFI and listen to radio stations (if that was my thing)....What is the point of buying a smartphone to listen to FM radio, seriously... and where does this kid get his statistics from? I also live in a third world devolving country and know how FM radio is a thing of the past or something i only listen to occasionally when im driving , it may be a big deal for him and maybe that is enough to make him think it is a big deal for ''half of the world'' ... yea right!

1) File Manager: first of all this a new feature on wp...like someone said, if i really wanted or need that so much i would go back to Android which has a way better file manager system than WP's recently created one which gave me errors by the way. Also, File Manager on a jailbroken ios device has been there for ages, still better than the one on WP...

2) SD card, this is a good option to have, it's still just an option, with Iphones with 32gb, 64, and now 128gb would not really need it that much, maybe if I had a phone with less than 16 it would be useful. My Nokia Lumia Icon didn't have it so not all WP devices have it, never needed it anyway. With cloud services, dropbox, google drive, skydrive and icloud it is clear tech is moving into a different direction, sd cards are becoming just an option nowadays.

3) replacement battery- no thanks, i prefer my devices to be uni body and have that premium feel to them, i dont want a plastic cover. I've had 3 WP devices and i always chose the ones that felt premium built over the option to have a removable battery...
    10-10-2014 09:24 PM
    See, here people believe it or not, iPhone lacks most basic features.
    If a lion, elephant is taught some tricks in a circus, we call them well trained, not well educated. So if a phone isn't able to perform some basic operations or lacks some basic features, there's no point telling it a smartphone. If someone likes their iPhone, be happy with it, don't bother comparing basic features with other phones. There's always a particular way to hold an iPhone, or a particular way to put it in your pocket, otherwise it would get bent. Now should I use such a phone with soft woollen gloves, or before putting it in my pocket, I should keep some sponge so that it doesn't get bent? Not all iPhones get bent right? So why is there a particular way of holding it or using it? Or first apple said that iPhones fit even in small hands, they have the perfect size, it would never go for bigger screens as it would mean copying other phones, so what has apple done with iPhone 6/6+. Even now they fit perfectly in smallest hands right?
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    10-11-2014 12:31 AM
    It will take years before any OS takes over iOS. It requires a lot of change behaviors and investments. The Mobil work is a big ship and its hard to steer quickly.

One of the things Apple does best, is form factor so its easy for app development in comparison to the other OS, and the fact their hardware has less options for accessories. Makes it much easier for third party.

Another thing Apple has done well is their marketing. They told us what we need not want; anyone that doesn't know about tech will buy it because the company told them this is what you need, and we have it for you.

I do not think there will be a change in tide anytime soon... Apple is too large, and still has a big grip on the market.
    10-11-2014 12:37 AM
    Let's be real, the reason Microsoft isn't in the game is because they started late. The iPhone sucked when it came out and there was no apps for about 2 years. If Microsoft just had some kind of matching hardware, maybe at least capacitive touch screens would have been nice, and they would have been in the the game. Instead they spent 3-4 years building a mobile operating system, and then added some cheap hardware to get things off the ground. Apple started a culture in America and then their founder died before he could turn it into an empire. Really, Steve jobs passing away was the only reason Samsung became the world juggernaut it set out to be. They saw the opening and attacked.

Microsoft in all honesty is about 5 years behind as a mobile brand, as far as sales go. They do have the potential to move up quickly with lower to (cheap)medium end devices on the cheap and they need to have two phones in the premium section to make it easier for the carriers to accept them and upgrade them every year (just like Apple and Samsung)(Galaxy S and note Lines/2 different iPhones). If they go with that model, then maybe carriers won't deny phones, for example the 1520. Hopefully Microsoft sees the potential in these phones and gives the public and carriers what they want. It seems the market is either high spec-high quality metal($550-$750) or medium spec-poly-carbonate($200-$250 or less). No more middle of the road stuff like Samsung because that only works when you sell 80-90 million phones a quarter.
    This.
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    10-11-2014 12:52 AM
    @salmanahmed

"Certain things are dropped based on how popular they are" The reverse is true to. Look at the WP user voice site and see how many people have clamoured for fm and file managers.

These 2 are features that are very immigrant to most people, unlike *YOU* who think they aren't. By the way, I'm 99% sure you use a 3rd party file manager on your nexus. Why? Because even you need it.

Every feature phone has a file manager like since the 90s?! Everyone knows that, except for a few retards of course.

You're right, almost nobody birds an iPhone in India. Like at their Indian market share.

Fm is a 14bn industry in India, with 75% audience through mobile phones, most probably higher now.
    http://www.ey.com/IN/en/Newsroom/New...-bn-in-2012-13

There are no true unlimited 3g heck even 2g plans in India or Pakistan on buying a phone since there is no carrier system. In the end you end up paying for fm which is a free service. Even a rich person is not fool enough to pay for something that is already free.

Bland statement. Mention your reasons with proof. Typical 14 year old.
    10-11-2014 12:54 AM
    a way better file manager system than WP's recently created one which gave me errors by the way. Also, File Manager on a jailbroken ios device has been there for ages, still better than the one on WP...

2) SD card, this is a good option to have, it's still just an option, with Iphones with 32gb, 64, and now 128gb would not really need it that much, maybe if I had a phone with less than 16 it would be useful. My Nokia Lumia Icon didn't have it so not all WP devices have it, never needed it anyway. With cloud services, dropbox, google drive, skydrive and icloud it is clear tech is moving into a different direction, sd cards are becoming just an option nowadays.

3) replacement battery- no thanks, i prefer my devices to be uni body and have that premium feel to them, i dont want a plastic cover. I've had 3 WP devices and i always chose the ones that felt premium built over the option to have a removable battery...
    So you basically want to pay for something that is already free through your data plan.....I haven't seen such a fool yet who wants to pay for something already free.

Fm is 14bn industry in India, with >563 million people using it, and 75% people using it via mobile phones. How is that insignificant?
    http://www.ey.com/IN/en/Newsroom/New...-bn-in-2012-13

Android doesn't have a file manager, neither does ios by default. Seriously, who in their right mind would jailbreak or root their device and lose warranty? Not the common consumer. Windows phone has an official file manager, along with pocket file manager which is more advanced than any 3rd party Android counterparts.

Cloud services need data, which is a huge problem cost wise in developing countries.

Replacement battery is a big deal to many over design. WP has the option of a removable/non removable battery,ios doesn't.
    10-11-2014 01:04 AM
    It will take years before any OS takes over iOS. It requires a lot of change behaviors and investments. The Mobil work is a big ship and its hard to steer quickly.

One of the things Apple does best, is form factor so its easy for app development in comparison to the other OS, and the fact their hardware has less options for accessories. Makes it much easier for third party.

Another thing Apple has done well is their marketing. They told us what we need not want; anyone that doesn't know about tech will buy it because the company told them this is what you need, and we have it for you.

I do not think there will be a change in tide anytime soon... Apple is too large, and still has a big grip on the market.

Actually any OS doesn't need to beat iOS. I know that iOS is very smooth, the apps, games run very well, not very good in WP due to poor app development. Many developers find coding difficult for WP. Also Android has the best app development & also the easiest, not iOS. IOS 7 crashed more than iOS 6, iOS 8 crashes 78% more than iOS 7. Hence apple had to pull out iOS 8 update.
    Apple has a grip on the market just because its making huge profit, even if iPhone sales drop to 0%, even then apple would be making huge profits from its other products. But the sales of iPhones are decreasing from the past two years, reason? No low end phones, no variety, all iPhones look similar. Apple would never consider bringing low end phones, hence it'll keep losing market share. So WP has already crossed iPhones sales in 24 countries. Even if iPhones are sold out in huge numbers, they'll keep losing market share.
    10-11-2014 01:45 AM
    Why do you care so much about market share , why is that important to you? Are you aware WP aren't even close to Android and IOS's numbers? Do you realize the Iphone 6 and 6+ did better than any other iphones on the past? And here is a little fact, IOS 8 wasnt pulled, it was ios 8.0.1 and yes it was a disaster... but hey, it was pulled 2 hours after it was released (also it was an optional upgrade) and apple came with a new update less than 24 hours later... Meanwhile I'm still waiting for cyan on my Icon months and months later after it was announced.

Well the update depends on the carrier. Different CVs have already got cyan. WPs market share is not close to Android but its not too far from iOS. In2013, iOS had 14% share, WP 3.6%. IOS had 17% share in 2012.
    Forget about iPhone 6/6+, iPhone 5c/5S were a huge success, sold in large numbers, could they save the shrinking market of iPhones? What makes you think iPhone 6/6+ would? You don't get my point, apple would never consider a low end phone& hence its market share would continue to shrink, no matter how much successful iPhones are.
    10-11-2014 05:22 AM
    Fm is dying? How many listen to just Glenn beck, rush Limbaugh, and Dave Ramsey alone... Hmm...
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    10-11-2014 10:06 AM
    FM True
    File manager True
    SD card slot True
    Removable battery True. My 1520 doesn't have one either, though, and I'm okay with that.
    Micro USB Only relevant about the next two, otherwise irrelevant
    No Bluetooth ftp True
    No mtp True
    No battery saver mode True
    No offline maps Nokia releases HERE Maps for Android, but currently exclusive to Samsung Galaxy devices | TechOne3 It's coming later this year for iOS. Also, Google Maps has offline iirc
    Low ppi screen iPhone 6+ has a higher PPI screen than my Lumia
    Bending problem Less than 1%
    No camera button True
    Mediocre camera(8mp in 2014? Rip-off) And yet the pictures are still amazing
    No glance/notification led True
    No lock screen notifications Lock screen notifications first showed up in iOS5 Apple iOS 5: 10 Key New Features - First Look
    No double tap to wake True
    No interchangeable colour shells True, and neither does my Lumia
    Email client sucks as comp to WP Opinion.
    Still have to manage everything through iTunes Only music these days.
    imessage problem not fixed True, but that's not an iPhone thing. That's an iOS overall problem.
    Can't project screen via USB to a PC. True, you just use AirPlay mirroring
    Only 2 mics,1520 has 4 for half the price. Do you even know what that means or are you just saying it because it sounds good?
    My $20 Nokia dumbphone has an sd slot,fm, file manager, removable battery. Apple can't put that in a 700$ smartphone? Shame. They're making a phone for the average user. You'll notice that a lot of flagship devices are starting to lack in some of those areas.
    App gap in India as comp to WP. Many important apps are not there. Eg-
    IRCTC https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/irct...pUvbUpU2809345
    NTES https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/nati...pUvbUpU2809345
    DISQUS True, it's "still coming" in "the future"
    6tag True, but there's always Instagram instead.
    NOKIA CAMERA (manual focus) True on the app part, but the iPhone has had manual focus since iPhone 5S
    Photo beamer Scalado Photobeamer for iOS brings rapid photo sharing to any web-connected display (video)
    Project my screen How to Project an iPhone to a Screen | eHow
    Microsoft Office remote True as far as I know
    Song arc True as far as I know
    Office https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/micr...pUvbUpU2809345
    Office lens(scanned image to PDF, word,ppt) False, part of OneNote app
    Lexis audio editor True
    Tag editor Like a music tag editor? Or is that just a poorly named app?
    Jarvis True, the only thing I can find is something that interacts with you watching Iron Man 3.
    Unibeam True.
    Transfer my data True
    Lumia auto selfie True
    Lumia refocus True
    Nokia Car app True

Integrated Skype video call True
    Xbox live True as far as I can tell
    Xbox smart glass https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbox...pUvbUpU2809345
    INCODE https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inco...pUvbUpU2809345 Is that what you were talking about?
    Music+ True
    Nokia Mix radio True
    Here maps with offline navigation True for now
    Here drive+ True for now
    Here transit True for now
    AccuWeather https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/accu...pUvbUpU2809345
    Atmosphere Can't even find that app or what it is
    All Xbox live games! True
    Bookviser True
    FbReader True
    Sparrow Reader True
    Data sense True
    Xbox music https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbox...pUvbUpU2809345
    Xbox video True
    Xbox extras True
    Age of Empires: Castle siege True
    Unibeam Are you really mentioning this twice?

There we go, finally went through your list and pointed to the man things you got wrong.
    Last edited by Michael Alan Goff; 10-11-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added detail
    10-11-2014 12:51 PM
    Hmm. I can't report anyone on the WPCentral app, so...I advise everyone to keep the insults to a minimum~โ˜†!

Seriously, though. I don't really want a thread like this to get locked
    10-11-2014 01:49 PM
    I know at least one girl who will buy the iPhone 6, and has been saying she'll buy it before she even knew what it offered. She saw that it looked pretty from the leaked photos, and frankly, even if it looked exactly like galaxy (which she of course hates, because she loves apple so much), just with an apple logo, she'd find it pretty.

Most iPhone users don't care. NFC, OIS... all that is new to them, because they're of course not gonna look at some non-apple phones for peasants, but really, iPhone 6 has the performance of Lumia 920. 8MP OIS (only on plus model, even!), slightly smaller PPI than on 920 actually (the plus one has higher resolution, but still not anything better than Lumia 930), and dual core 1,5GHz CPU.

The problem is, that the 16GB iPhone 6 will cost 700, and 6+ will cost 800 off contract, Lumia 930 costs 600 for 32GB and I'm pretty sure you can get 3 925s for this money. Of course for 64 of 128GB (kudos on finally exceeding the magical 16/32GB), will set you back additional 100/200 which makes iPhone 6+ 128GB cost 1000, and I rather eat and pay rent and bills for 1 month than get a stupid phone.

People will still buy it of course, but probably a bit less then before, it's extremely expensive, even for apple die hards.
    "Performance of lumia 920"

Yeah right, what a lie.
    10-11-2014 04:18 PM
    "Performance of lumia 920"

Yeah right, what a lie.
    The thing that these spec heads don't understand that iOS has been consistently beating the quad cores used in high end Windows Phones since last year.

Even the Apple A7 beat the 1520/930.

http://m.windowscentral.com/benchmar...-iphone-5s-win
    10-11-2014 04:25 PM
    This thread is closed, due to excessive moderator actions needed.

For future reference, please review the Community Rules.

Discuss the topic, not each other. If there are members whom you just find annoying, please use the ignore feature.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 10-11-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    10-11-2014 04:51 PM
194 ... 678