The iPhone 6 is a bit of a disappointment, a chance for MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
While I think it will sell well just because so many have been wanting a larger screen iPhone, they didn't blow the roof with the iPhone 6. The 4.7 has the smallest PPI of the flagships, doens't have the rumored vaunted saphire, has an 8 MP camera (though I'm sure will still be good), and doesn't have OIS. The 5.5 does have OIS and and has better PPI and looks to be the better of the two but still isn't a home run.

Since this will be the 2014/2015 phone for Apple, I think it leaves the door open for other manufacturers to make something that can beat it. A well designed 940 or 1040 could really show up the iPhone 6.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I might exxagerate a bit, but the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter. Apple has a loyal customer base that won't convert to WP any time soon. Even if MS built a phone that could print money, they still would not. The rest of the market untapped by Apple is big enough for WP to find it's customers, they just need to deliver.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
after seeing the 2 newest Phones Windows has I would say those are a disappointment not the iPhone 6 and I am giving it much consideration. And yes I am even considering the watch. I would still not have the megapixels I had on my 1020 if I switched but I do have a DSLR to make up for it. My other choice could be the Note 4

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I might exxagerate a bit, but the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter. Apple has a loyal customer base that won't convert to WP any time soon. Even if MS built a phone that could print money, they still would not. The rest of the market untapped by Apple is big enough for WP to find it's customers, they just need to deliver.

Yep, but Microsoft seems fixated with apple, when any person with a brain cell can see the vast majority of apple fans will never switch. All the while ignoring the rest of the world where they could do very well.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I am a windows phone fan and user like everyone else here, but take the Microsoft goggles off. Larger screen, faster 64 bit processor,, more on board memory and finally a company really pushing NFC into reality. On top of that an actual preorder date for new phones and an actual date that everyone will get an OS upgrade. Microsoft has nothing at this point, especially in the USA - just corny Cortana vs Siri commercials showcasing a $100 phone with no front camera or rear flash with a whopping 512 memory. They look real pathetic at this point, let's hope they have something real soon or WP will be another Zune.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Ms have to concentrate on winning back customers from android whether low mid or even high end.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Very underwhelmed by the new iPhones...nothing innovative at all...and the prices are a joke. Never seen $500 for an on contract phone before...

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I know at least one girl who will buy the iPhone 6, and has been saying she'll buy it before she even knew what it offered. She saw that it looked pretty from the leaked photos, and frankly, even if it looked exactly like galaxy (which she of course hates, because she loves apple so much), just with an apple logo, she'd find it pretty.

Most iPhone users don't care. NFC, OIS... all that is new to them, because they're of course not gonna look at some non-apple phones for peasants, but really, iPhone 6 has the performance of Lumia 920. 8MP OIS (only on plus model, even!), slightly smaller PPI than on 920 actually (the plus one has higher resolution, but still not anything better than Lumia 930), and dual core 1,5GHz CPU.

The problem is, that the 16GB iPhone 6 will cost 700€, and 6+ will cost 800€ off contract, Lumia 930 costs 600€ for 32GB and I'm pretty sure you can get 3 925s for this money. Of course for 64 of 128GB (kudos on finally exceeding the magical 16/32GB), will set you back additional 100/200€ which makes iPhone 6+ 128GB cost 1000€, and I rather eat and pay rent and bills for 1 month than get a stupid phone.

People will still buy it of course, but probably a bit less then before, it's extremely expensive, even for apple die hards.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I personally think the iPhone 6 and 6 plus leaves windows phone in the dust in the US Market. There is nothing that can compare to the iPhone at this moment.

As said earlier in this thread, all they have is these Cortana ads (Cortana with Bing are so much better than Siri), $100 phones and nothing that excites me. They have announced the M8 for T-Mobile and At&T but no release date, and that phone lacks a good camera

I am thinking the iPhone 6plus will be my next, It is honestly a sad state in Windows Phone right now. In the US Market, people are buying Samsung and Apple phones. They are buying the high end phones. There is nothing available for my carrier and nothing that has been released in the US market except for the M8 on Verizon but that is only on one carrier at the moment and once the other carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) get it, the phone will loose its lust.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Of course for 64 of 128GB (kudos on finally exceeding the magical 16/32GB), will set you back additional 100/200? which makes iPhone 6+ 128GB cost 1000?, and I rather eat and pay rent and bills for 1 month than get a stupid phone.

People will still buy it of course, but probably a bit less then before, it's extremely expensive, even for apple die hards.

For some, especially in the US, $1k isn't a lot of money. It will cost more like $900 for the highest storage model. Also in the US, 3 out of 4 carriers subsidized the phone, only T-Mobile doesn't but they offer a payment plan that is about the same as the subsidized cost up front.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
While I think it will sell well just because so many have been wanting a larger screen iPhone, they didn't blow the roof with the iPhone 6. The 4.7 has the smallest PPI of the flagships, doens't have the rumored vaunted saphire, has an 8 MP camera (though I'm sure will still be good), and doesn't have OIS. The 5.5 does have OIS and and has better PPI and looks to be the better of the two but still isn't a home run.

Since this will be the 2014/2015 phone for Apple, I think it leaves the door open for other manufacturers to make something that can beat it. A well designed 940 or 1040 could really show up the iPhone 6.

I don't say this often, but you're crazy. The iPhone 6 will outsell every phone until the iPhone 7 comes out. This will be largest selling iPhone in history. Are you seriously talking about PPI and the lack of a sapphire display? Really, who cares? I don't know what you mean by "beat it" but sure someone will come out with a phone that has more storage, higher PPI, a new processor, more megapixels, laser-guided camera focus, etc., etc., etc. but no one pays attention to every detail like Apple does. Jesus, I want to punch myself in the face for even saying something like that- but come on. They took what was arguably the highest quality phone and made it better. Combine that with their NFC payments and all the other new crap in iOS 8 (primarily swype keyboard and extensability, if I had to pick two) and you are looking at the slam dunk winner for 2014-2015. Unless you hate Apple; simply love Android, BB10 or WP8; cannot live without SD storage or a removable battery; require a small phone- you will be tempted to get this phone. Assuming you can afford it. And here in the US, where carriers subsidize and there is little incentive to buy off-contract, you're talking about maybe a $100 gap between this and whatever other flagship you might be interested in.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't say this often, but you're crazy. The iPhone 6 will outsell every phone until the iPhone 7 comes out. This will be largest selling iPhone in history. Are you seriously talking about PPI and the lack of a sapphire display? Really, who cares? I don't know what you mean by "beat it" but sure someone will come out with a phone that has more storage, higher PPI, a new processor, more megapixels, laser-guided camera focus, etc., etc., etc. but no one pays attention to every detail like Apple does. Jesus, I want to punch myself in the face for even saying something like that- but come on. They took what was arguably the highest quality phone and made it better. Combine that with their NFC payments and all the other new crap in iOS 8 (primarily swype keyboard and extensability, if I had to pick two) and you are looking at the slam dunk winner for 2014-2015. Unless you hate Apple; simply love Android, BB10 or WP8; cannot live without SD storage or a removable battery; require a small phone- you will be tempted to get this phone. Assuming you can afford it. And here in the US, where carriers subsidize and there is little incentive to buy off-contract, you're talking about maybe a $100 gap between this and whatever other flagship you might be interested in.
Angry much? Good luck with that. I'm not the only one saying the iPhone 6 isn't a big upgrade.

Ask Ars: When should I plan to upgrade my iPhone? | Ars Technica

And there are others. Not hard to find. They didn't introduce anything that hasn't been in an Android phone or even in a Windows Phone for a while, so no the iPhone 6 is not tempting at all. Sorry that some people don't agree with you.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It is a huge upgrade over the 5s, over say the Note 3, maybe not as much feature wise, the wallet function itself will become a main feature on iPhone 6.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
By the time the iPhone 6 comes out, besides the processor, its already old hardware. Its just proving how mindless their customer base is. There isn't a SINGLE WOW factor of that phone. They havnt done that since the 4. What's funny is everyone fluffs them like they are the forever phone king, but the stock says otherwise. The people who know show what they know in the stock price.

Habib Dagher

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Apple has long lost its game... But it keeps living off the momentum that Steve Jobs left behind... And that is running out faster than they could catch up with.. Android is advancing and WP is jumping in leaps...

IF Nokia/Microsoft REALLY release the Lumia 1525 with solar charging panel or whatever... it will definitely be the event of the industry.

With the WP tweaks and updates and the fantastic structure and build of Lumia, HTC and more OEM's moving into the WP arena, Apple will definitely be losing ground to Android and WP...

Their big event was an epic fail.. the iWatch blah blah is nothing that blew us out of the water... And the two new devices are sooooooo yesterday in terms of specs and functionality that even Apple fans are finding it hard to defend their iconic brand's choices and creations.

I've long abandoned Android for WP and in spite of "some" shortcomings, the WP OS is definitely my choice for a very very very long time to come. I can't wait for the updates and evolution that they will create with time.. I know it's the best thing around... with Android's segmentation and "loose" structure as an OS/mobile ecosystem, and Apple's rather arrogant approach to anything and everything and their controlling way of how use their devices, I find WP OS as the best and most worthy of sticking with.

I just hope... they expand further... like buying the BlackBerry patent portfolio to further expand their functionality and technological advance... Working on a proper smart watch that pushes the roof... further Lumias with intuitive and reactive technologies that Cortana is already a huge success for...

As much as I detested Stephen Elop years ago and felt he was killing Nokia with the WP OS, as much as I grew to appreciate the vision he had and the development trajectory they went through.

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't see it as a disappointment I've never owned an iPhone but they have brought it up to speed with android. Also have fixed the small screen, added a better camera everything that was putting people off iPhone has been addressed

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss