The iPhone 6 is a bit of a disappointment, a chance for MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnIvory

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I might exxagerate a bit, but the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter. Apple has a loyal customer base that won't convert to WP any time soon. Even if MS built a phone that could print money, they still would not. The rest of the market untapped by Apple is big enough for WP to find it's customers, they just need to deliver.

QFT. For Apple to sink there would either need to be some truly revolutionary device that compels people to abandon their ecosystem (and I mean revolutionary, not faster processor or image stabilisation) or they would have to severely gimp their devices. They're not going to do the latter and the former is going to be very difficult to pull off.
Honestly the phone wars are all but done at this point, much like the desktop. While Microsoft would be foolish to abandon their mobile operating system they need to find a really underserved area in people's lives and deliver something superlative. And I don't think that's smartwatches (an area in which they're also behind, btw.)

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, how is this phone a disappointment and every phone MS has released this year is not. Stop being fanboys
******? Who said MS hasn't been a disappointment so far in 2014? You see, many Windows Phone users, including myself, have put MS to the fire on their hardware strategy. That's a good thing as it holds the company accountable. I'm glad people are asking for SD card, removable batteries, waterproofing, wireless charging and whatever.

Meanwhile, looking at this thread and many others, not a single Apple apologist has called out Apple for a mid-tier resolution on the 4.7, or lack of SD card, or mid-tier camera resolution, or 1 GB RAM, or anything with their hardware. This why people say Apple has a cult-like mentality. Their company can do no wrong. I'm not calling any individual out as I'm not here to offend people, but just pointing out the obvious. Interesting case study on human psychology really.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Who said MS hasn't been a disappointment so far in 2014? You see, many Windows Phone users, including myself, have put MS to the fire on their hardware strategy. That's a good thing as it holds the company accountable. I'm glad people are asking for SD card, removable batteries, waterproofing, wireless charging and whatever.

Meanwhile, looking at this thread and many others, not a single Apple apologist has called out Apple for a mid-tier resolution on the 4.7, or lack of SD card, or mid-tier camera resolution, or 1 GB RAM, or anything with their hardware. This why people say Apple has a cult-like mentality. Their company can do no wrong. I'm not calling any individual out as I'm not here to offend people, but just pointing out the obvious. Interesting case study on human psychology really.

I hear what you're saying but iPhone photos have been voted the best by most tech journalists and their performance has never been an issue. Yes the screen resolution is low and the storage can not be expanded but their software has virtually been flawless. So I am not saying that it's a perfect product but the tone in these posts is comical. There is no such thing as a perfect phone but I feel like apple brings a compelling product to market where MS has been dropping less compelling products with zero market share. Does that seem like a good strategy. Again I am not attacking you but I really dislike being a ******. Take the product foe what it is.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I personally think the iPhone 6 and 6 plus leaves windows phone in the dust in the US Market. There is nothing that can compare to the iPhone at this moment.

Really? What does the i6+ have over the 1520, which is the top WP device right now? Hardware wise they are right on par, unless I missed something. And to be honest the hardware is even behind the top android phones, so where is the supposed superiority? Is their 1080p resolution somehow better than on other 1080p devices?

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
WP can't compete with iPhone, they should be seeking market share in Asia or Africa and Latin America.. perhaps Europe cause USA is Apple / Samsung (Android) ... their newer phones with 512 MB ram is A J O K E !

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft could kill with hardware, but the OS and ecosystem need more polish to seriously compete.

IIRC the original iPhone around $500 on contract. But yes, I don't believe there has been any contract price that high recently.

I use both OS. I have iPad and iPhone

To be honest, I love WP more because of the OS UI. Very pretty and better experience for me. However, I'll never give up using iOS.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Definitely buying the iPhone 6Plus. After having a Note 3 and a Lumia 1520 which was a little too big for my liking. The 5.5" iPhone is a great size. App quality and lack of apps require will keep me away from WP for the near future and Android is still too buggy so the new iPhone is top of my shopping list. The 5s is the first iPhone I've not bothered with so this will definitely be a leap forward since my last iPhone (5)

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Didier3001

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
after seeing the 2 newest Phones Windows has I would say those are a disappointment not the iPhone 6 and I am giving it much consideration. And yes I am even considering the watch. I would still not have the megapixels I had on my 1020 if I switched but I do have a DSLR to make up for it. My other choice could be the Note 4
Good luck taking your DSLR with you everywhere

I hear what you're saying but iPhone photos have been voted the best by most tech journalists and their performance has never been an issue. Yes the screen resolution is low and the storage can not be expanded but their software has virtually been flawless. So I am not saying that it's a perfect product but the tone in these posts is comical. There is no such thing as a perfect phone but I feel like apple brings a compelling product to market where MS has been dropping less compelling products with zero market share. Does that seem like a good strategy. Again I am not attacking you but I really dislike being a ******. Take the product foe what it is.
Most blogs that review mobile phone don't even know how to properly review camera. It's not because they are geek that they also photograph.
One Professional and good camera review website is for example connect.dpreview.com because they have been reviewing DSLR for years.

The only thing I can guarantee is that lumia 1020, 930 or 1520 are by far much better camera than iPhone. One of my friend has an iPhone 5s and we often go to the same place. We then review the pictures taken with our phone on a 47" TV using Xbox and onedrive and we clearly see the difference and he is always impressed. Often people ask me which camera I was using to take pictures and when I show them my phone they are even more impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, if anyone follows my posts would know, I very much dislike the iPhone or Apple. So I watched about 90% of the apple thing yesterday.

For about 10 min, I was actually thinking if I could change over to the iPhone....why ? The Apple watch. The thing about the iPhone and the watch, they will work together seamlessly with the same feel and with features that even impressed me (the watch, not the iphone).

As I think about it more and more, I think I really want a smartwatch, I think the uses would be VERY useful for what I do and how I live my life. This would also save me to from pulling out my phone 40-50 times a day looking for notifications for new emails, texts, etc...

The problem is, for example the Pebble, if it worked with Windows Phone fully, is not a seamless experience, does not even have 1/5 of the features of the "Apple Watch" and you need to install all these 3rd party apps just for the watch to do things. This is the same with all Smartwatches that might be compatible with Windows Phone...after 8.1 is out for all devices and someone actually makes a driver for it....

**IF** Microsoft actually releases a **Rumored** watch, will it be seamless? will it feel like the phone does ? Will it give strong options with a decent battery life ?

That is the question because as it stands right now, the smartwatch thing for Windows Phone is dead(and it really was never alive in the first place)...and not going to really show up for what I would be looking for....

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
"The iPhone 6 is a disappointment"

​What major phones have come to WP this year that have been amazingly innovative?

Is there anything innovative about the new iphones? Am I missing the point and this discussion is about apps because I don't see what's so special about a 5.5" 1080p screen, 8MP camera and NFC, features that are found on WP and (android) devices today. Or is it just because apple did it?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Really? What does the i6+ have over the 1520, which is the top WP device right now? Hardware wise they are right on par, unless I missed something. And to be honest the hardware is even behind the top android phones, so where is the supposed superiority? Is their 1080p resolution somehow better than on other 1080p devices?

Sure, the ecosystem, the apps that are even available on both platforms are better on iOS, the app quality is also much higher.

The passport payment option is much better than anything windows phone offers. The 1520 here in the US requires a charging shell, and is only available from AT&T, and their are reports it is being discontinued.

Also the size of the phone, it is way to big, and the software doesn't utilize the big screen. I can see more email on my iPhone 5s and more twitter messaging without scrolling than on the big screen 1520.

The operating system has no lag, even on last years 5s. Sure windows phone has no lag as well.

The total package of the iPhone, the OS, ecosystem (in car, acessories, apps) and the added NFC WITH the partnerships with VISA, MasterCard and Amex, leaves windows phone in the dust. Plus, all MS apps are available on IOS.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Sure, the ecosystem, the apps that are even available on both platforms are better on iOS, the app quality is also much higher.

The passport payment option is much better than anything windows phone offers. The 1520 here in the US requires a charging shell, and is only available from AT&T, and their are reports it is being discontinued.

Also the size of the phone, it is way to big, and the software doesn't utilize the big screen. I can see more email on my iPhone 5s and more twitter messaging without scrolling than on the big screen 1520.

The operating system has no lag, even on last years 5s. Sure windows phone has no lag as well.

The total package of the iPhone, the OS, ecosystem (in car, acessories, apps) and the added NFC WITH the partnerships with VISA, MasterCard and Amex, leaves windows phone in the dust. Plus, all MS apps are available on IOS.

Well what we will see if just another Zune in the making... I give Microsoft two more years before it is completely dead. RIP Windows Phone.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
It's a downgrade from my icon. Sad Apple, sad.

Is there anything innovative about the new iphones? Am I missing the point and this discussion is about apps because I don't see what's so special about a 5.5" 1080p screen, 8MP camera and NFC, features that are found on WP and (android) devices today. Or is it just because apple did it?

You mean has been available for 2 years. All other 5.5 inch phones are twice the resolution.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Damn, people really hate you when you're at the top (Apple).
Its not a perfect phone and yes apple does market it like it is but why wouldn't they ita their own product. Its going to sell millions.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Not at all disappointment at least for people here in India who are paying premium to get iphone 6 or 6 s.i think this current iPhones are going to sell like hot cakes in India.it is already selling in grey market for a 40%higher price compared to apple price.oh no sorry high end android apple iPhones going to crush you in sales.fall of high end android evident in India.
From Windows phone

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Nothing really special about it. My point was more that WP has been more disappointing this year than the iPhone. Why? The iPhone is a single phone that comes in two sizes. Microsoft has lined up about a dozen companies this year to make phones and there hasn't really been anything major.

You mean has been available for 2 years. All other 5.5 inch phones are twice the resolution.

There is no phone out today with "twice the resolution". :|

ChrisP1

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Apple brought NOTHING special in terms of hardware to the iPhone. They brought it mostly back up to speed with competing hardward but its nothing special unless you love how thin and light it is but that is really a gimmick. What will sell the iPhones the best is not the iPhone6 and 6+ but ios8. Because its not android and the up to date software Apple is still nicely in the race. Though I don't see it getting really more or less customers.

Microsoft is put in a good position for the future I think to really provide with the next OS some really outstanding features and looks to their phone OS and Windows PC OS.

Android will remain #1. I think next year and 2016 can be a really good year for MS if they can pull off some good stuff for their phone OS and have good integration with other windows products and if so the hardware will come faster and more phone will be available. Next year they will probably release their next flagship phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss