The iPhone 6 is a bit of a disappointment, a chance for MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should give up marketing Windows Phone in the US.
Their only hope is in Europe and emerging markets, where unique style is appreciated.

I agree with your assessment about giving up in the US, but I disagree regarding Europe.

I believe they have also lost ground in Europe especially after acquiring Nokia.

Once Microsoft retires the Nokia brand, I'm afraid it is game over for them in Europe as well.
Microsoft marketshare seems to be waning worldwide.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes...

The Wall Street Journal, Engadget, and CNET ran stress tests to see how the iPhone 6's battery held up under extended use. Geoffrey Fowler of The Wall Street Journal said the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 died before his iPhone 5s did after he cranked the screen's brightness up to 100% and streamed video.

Read more: iPhone 6 Battery Life - Business Insider

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Wrong. 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels.

2560x1440 = 3,686,400

So that would be 59% more pixels...which is still considerably more... You are just wanting to argue.

What happened to the 78% claim?

Edit: Also, my calculator shows that 1080p is 56% in terms of pixels compared to the 1440. That would imply a 44% increase, not a 59%. It might seem pedantic to you, but using real data is important to me.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the iPhone 6 and 6 plus leaves windows phone in the dust in the US Market. There is nothing that can compare to the iPhone at this moment.

As said earlier in this thread, all they have is these Cortana ads (Cortana with Bing are so much better than Siri), $100 phones and nothing that excites me. They have announced the M8 for T-Mobile and At&T but no release date, and that phone lacks a good camera

I am thinking the iPhone 6plus will be my next, It is honestly a sad state in Windows Phone right now. In the US Market, people are buying Samsung and Apple phones. They are buying the high end phones. There is nothing available for my carrier and nothing that has been released in the US market except for the M8 on Verizon but that is only on one carrier at the moment and once the other carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) get it, the phone will loose its lust.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Clearly you are forgetting the 1520 Mr "Ambassador".

1520 has:

more RAM (2GB > 1)
faster GPU (see recent phone gaming benchmarks)
more MP (20MP > 8)
microSD for unlimited storage
longer battery life
4K video (with Denim)
FM radio
Multiple microphones for superior sound recording
Can purchase with wireless charging (1520.3)
About half the price
and... ships today

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I just switched over to my L1520 from my Apple 4S and while at first I was all "GO WINDOWS PHONE, FORGET iPHONE," I find myself now understanding why a larger chunk of the population loves their iPhone; I think it's just because it just works. I don't have to find a work around for a missing app or make do with a so-so app since there's nothing else available.

If I want to check on my friends on Facebook, I can click on the official app from the company and not a mock up from Microsoft which doesn't even have most of the functionality of it's IOS counterpart. How about depositing a check? On the iPhone I just open up my bank's app and there you go. On WP? Drive to the bank cause more likely than not your bank doesn't have an app on WP. How about watching my tv show on amazon prime? Oh no, I forgot they don't have an app for WP.

I don't want to sound totally down on WP; I really like my 1520 but frankly speaking, if it wasn't for the awesome Nokia Lumia camera on this thing and the lack of a SD card on the iPhone I would probably want the iPhone 6+.

Probably Microsoft's focus should be less about taking down Apple or Samsung and be more about differentiating themselves from those guys a bit more. When it comes down to it if people had to choose between an iPhone and a WP which both do the exact same thing, I'd bet they'd chose the iPhone.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
What happened to the 78% claim?

Edit: Also, my calculator shows that 1080p is 56% in terms of pixels compared to the 1440. That would imply a 44% increase, not a 59%. It might seem pedantic to you, but using real data is important to me.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpretting this argument, but if you're looking for a percentage change in the in pixel real-estate...

%delta = (value2 - value1)/value 1, so.... (3686400 - 2073600) / 2073600 = 1612800 / 2073600 = .777....8 so approximately 77.7 percent so about 78% increase. Assuming the pixel density is correct, the original number holds.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Even if the iPhone 6 was a disappointment, there is NOTHING MS can do to have a chance any more.
They are 3-4 years behind in terms of software features and applications.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Swipe Keyboard is still not available on iPhone, both Windows Phone and Android have it !
I can't believe the phone hasn't launched and it sold out within 48hrs. People are lemmings, or suckers ! People like to be told what they need, and Apple is good at doing this !

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Even if the iPhone 6 was a disappointment, there is NOTHING MS can do to have a chance any more.
They are 3-4 years behind in terms of software features and applications.
I'm not sure that MS can ever catch up to Apple or Samsung in terms of numbers, I think they can still carve a nice niche for themselves in a smaller demographic. Maybe make their phones the best darn camera phone out there; push that Lumia Pureview tech for as far as it goes. Make people who're looking to replace their camera with their phone (like me) consider MS for just that reason. Or make their phones the best thing out there for watching movies or tv shows, a media beast.

But as for getting any sizable market share, it's probably a bit too late.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure that MS can ever catch up to Apple or Samsung in terms of numbers, I think they can still carve a nice niche for themselves in a smaller demographic. Maybe make their phones the best darn camera phone out there; push that Lumia Pureview tech for as far as it goes. Make people who're looking to replace their camera with their phone (like me) consider MS for just that reason. Or make their phones the best thing out there for watching movies or tv shows, a media beast.

But as for getting any sizable market share, it's probably a bit too late.

At this point Windows Phones, are a niche market. Hopefully that changes, it will take time !

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Swipe Keyboard is still not available on iPhone, both Windows Phone and Android have it !
I can't believe the phone hasn't launched and it sold out within 48hrs. People are lemmings, or suckers ! People like to be told what they need, and Apple is good at doing this !
I'm not sure it's that people like to be told what they need but more about people liking stuff that works without any hassles or need for compromise. That's what Apple brings.

Now that I've been using WP8.1 for a while I can see a bit more clearly why Apple does so well with the masses. The iPhone is dead simple to use and has all the app support.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure it's that people like to be told what they need but more about people liking stuff that works without any hassles or need for compromise. That's what Apple brings.

Now that I've been using WP8.1 for a while I can see a bit more clearly why Apple does so well with the masses. The iPhone is dead simple to use and has all the app support.

I've never used an Apple computer. I couldn't understand when people were saying they didn't understand Windows8. It could be that I've been using Windows since version 3.0/3.1. How easy do you want an OS, Linux is by far easy to figure out. I suppose from hard to easy it's Linux > Windows > iOS.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I've never used an Apple computer. I couldn't understand when people were saying they didn't understand Windows8. It could be that I've been using Windows since version 3.0/3.1. How easy do you want an OS, Linux is by far easy to figure out. I suppose from hard to easy it's Linux > Windows > iOS.
What I heard wasn't that people didn't understand Windows 8, it was that they didn't LIKE Windows 8 with all the metro apps and such. It was such a departure from the previous iteration that it might've been too much changes too soon.

I've been using Windows all my life so for me using a Mac is far from simple or easy but everyone's more comfortable with whatever OS they've been using the longest. Apple's leading in the smartphone wars not because they have the better phone but because they've made it easier to use and have more people hooked on it.

memmerp

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Let's be real, the reason Microsoft isn't in the game is because they started late. The iPhone sucked when it came out and there was no apps for about 2 years. If Microsoft just had some kind of matching hardware, maybe at least capacitive touch screens would have been nice, and they would have been in the the game. Instead they spent 3-4 years building a mobile operating system, and then added some cheap hardware to get things off the ground. Apple started a culture in America and then their founder died before he could turn it into an empire. Really, Steve jobs passing away was the only reason Samsung became the world juggernaut it set out to be. They saw the opening and attacked.

Microsoft in all honesty is about 5 years behind as a mobile brand, as far as sales go. They do have the potential to move up quickly with lower to (cheap)medium end devices on the cheap and they need to have two phones in the premium section to make it easier for the carriers to accept them and upgrade them every year (just like Apple and Samsung)(Galaxy S and note Lines/2 different iPhones). If they go with that model, then maybe carriers won't deny phones, for example the 1520. Hopefully Microsoft sees the potential in these phones and gives the public and carriers what they want. It seems the market is either high spec-high quality metal($550-$750) or medium spec-poly-carbonate($200-$250 or less). No more middle of the road stuff like Samsung because that only works when you sell 80-90 million phones a quarter.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone has no faults, the iPhone 6 plus has improved battery life, great camera, and nice housing. The Apps are a big deal, and is the biggest deal to most.

No device is perfect. The iPhone 6 does indeed have its own share of problems. For starters, it's actually rather fragile. I fully understand drop tests and scratch tests are not to be taken seriously; after all my Lumia 900 broke after a single drop, whereas my dad's SII is perfect after 17 drops. I've never seen a phone perform poorer in a drop test EVER until I the iPhone 6 came along. Nor has upgrading to iOS8, nor has every iP6 sold to date been flawless; a quick glance on the net reveals that not everyone is a happy customer.

You also listed an entire Apple Ecosystem. Sure, if you have Macs, iPhones, iPads/Pods then you're already heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem and the handover thing will benefit you. But to overlook the fact MS has, and is developing their own version of this technology would discount them from the game. And let's be realistic, in the desktop space the majority of people still use Windows.

Apple ecosystem isn't a sign of affluence, either. Just because their stuff is overpriced, doesn't mean those who invest must be well-off (certainly not when I - bizarrely enough - see even paupers with iDevices these days). I could win the lottery for all I care, I'd still not buy an Apple product because I can get better value elsewhere, be it in customising my own laptop and hand-picking my own components, or whatever. Heck, if I wanted to rip myself off I'd get a SP3 as it's far more appealing to me than an iPad. At least I'd be able to run ALL of my computer games on it.

Last edited:

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone6 doesn't have swipe keyboard even as of version 6 of this phone, while Android and Microsoft have it both available. I almost have a complete Windows Ecosystem the only thing I'm missing is a Surface Pro, atleast I can say I'm more then halfway there, that is besides the point. The point is the iPhone is hype, when Apple announces a new phone, it is equivalent to the scene in Lion King when the cub lion is being held up, except replace the cub with a iPhone; is it as if it is a religious item sent from above and as a Catholic this is ridiculous. No matter where you live in the world, I'm sure you heard about the lines up, whether it was hundreds, or thousands as in the case where I live.

I am completely happy and satisfied with my Nokia 1520, and if the debate should arise between an iPhone6 Plus user and myself, I have plenty of ammunition, including the cliche the Nokia is bigger, I have swipe keyboard, a killer Camera, 4K video recording coming soon and much more. What Microsoft needs to do, is give most models of the Windows Phone, or Windows as it will be changed to soon features, pile on the features, think of this metaphor, while everyone is in a rush to get the one inch diamond, a small group are getting the eight inch diamond, that being Windows Phone / Windows.

Android users will come out swinging and can say we had some of those features before Windows Phone, yes this may be true, but many Android users have models that even they admit can't compare to the higher end Windows Phone, especially the 1520. There is a generation of Android Phones to be released that supposedly will be great, as so they say, that is why I say Microsoft needs to promote the Phones better. which we all can agree with, and keep adding features. One other thing, most Nokia are built quite well, material wise compared to iPhones, just another weapon I or you can use if you should get into a debate with an Apple user as I have a few weeks ago, and most recently with a BlackBerry user, that is a different story for a different topic.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 5s has a swipe type of keyboard. I am currently using swift key.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo