The iPhone 6 is a bit of a disappointment, a chance for MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
This sort of thing is total and complete BS and I hate to see when this garbage is passed around. There's far more that goes into a product than just the parts themselves. Research is expensive. Developing a product to bring it to market is expensive. And yes, even marketing a product on the scale that Apple does is expensive. They don't just flip a switch and pop out a device.

I get that we all prefer non-iPhone products, but that's no reason to ignore facts.

How much research does it take to enlarge a screen ? Apple uses the same marketing strategy as they always have; I don't know what point you are making you say "marketing is expensive" Apple, like many companies are prepared, you think every year Apple goes though a new stages of marketing ?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
You clearly have absolutely no idea what goes into engineering for a new phone.

I mean, do you for some reason think that the only difference between these two is a larger screen?

APJRFAcfVnCupMpb.jpg

t2Cw1XeX2HnFS4s1.jpg

As for marketing, uh yes. Apple produces new commercials every few months. That costs money.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple uses the same marketing strategy as they always have ... you think every year Apple goes though a new stages of marketing?

Not true, and yes. But even if they did use the same marketing strategy and didn't go through new marketing efforts, their existing marketing still has to be paid for; it's not free. And someone has to pay the engineers and designers who come up with the new schematics and diagrams for the larger screens, even if the research component was minimal.

Come on, man, do you honestly think those are one-time expenses done when the original iPhone was released?

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, I bought the iPhone 6 and have used it for a couple of days. Guess what, I am back to my HTC One M8. iPhone while a great phone is just static. I like the M8 so much more and will stay with it as it fits my needs better. Great sync with Office and love Cortana. There it is, I said it, I like the Win HTC M8 better than a iPhone. Whew hope I don't get flamed. IMHO

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I am a windows phone fan and user like everyone else here, but take the Microsoft goggles off. Larger screen, faster 64 bit processor,, more on board memory and finally a company really pushing NFC into reality. On top of that an actual preorder date for new phones and an actual date that everyone will get an OS upgrade. Microsoft has nothing at this point, especially in the USA - just corny Cortana vs Siri commercials showcasing a $100 phone with no front camera or rear flash with a whopping 512 memory. They look real pathetic at this point, let's hope they have something real soon or WP will be another Zune.

Ahem... I tend to look at things without glasses or "goggles".

You listed:
faster 64-bit processor
more on board memory
"finally" pushing NFC
actual ship date
Microsoft has nothing at this point.

I could counter with:
64-bit processor using 1GB RAM -- Really?
More on board memory. My 1520 has 2GB Ram with an option for a 128GB SD card.
NFC -- I've had that for more than 2 years, and I'm including my old Nokia 808 Pureview that also has NFC that I still use.
Actual Ship Date -- They have Microsoft there. Very frustrating.
And Finally, Microsoft having nothing. Baseless. Think about these technologies for a second:

42MP Sensor for the purpose of lossless zoom and almost zero digital noise with high ISO.
Rich recording microphones for high dB recordings.
Dolby 5.1 recording
Uncompressed 96kHz recording capability
4K recording (coming very soon)
Super sensitive touch (to use without gimmicky gloves)
High contrast to view in sunlight
Optical Image Stabilization (the iPhone is *just* getting this)

Those are just a few. The iPhone is just getting a couple of those hardware features in late 2014. Something Microsoft/Nokia has had already for years. Checking the cost of an unlocked iPhone vs a new unlocked Nokia that has all these features AND more. >$900USD vs !$500USD. Ridiculous!

I don't think WP looks "pathetic" at all, at least from a hardware perspective.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
My Windows Phone Masterplan:

If I was Microsoft, here's what I would do with Windows Phone:

1) Scrap the Samsung-like multiple handset approach of lots of similar low-mid range phones and create just 3 different Main models (2 low entry, 1 Premium Flagship).

2) Create a Simple Model Name/Number system. The public don't know the difference between the 635 and the 830. Call the Flagship the Microsoft M1 (5") and M1 Plus (5.7"). The cheaper handsets the M1 mini & M1 lite. Advertise the M1 branding everywhere. Drop the Lumia name too, we need a fresh start.

3) Upgrade WP OS once a year and everyone at the same time

4) Release future handsets upgrades at the same consistent time and use familiar branding (eg M2).

5) Hire Samsung's marketing team from 2012 and do things like give away free windows phones to disgruntled icustomers.

6) Keep everything simple. Update and release stuff on confirmed dates. Seize opportunities to help people switch.

7) Forget the USA for now. Concentrate on Europe, Middle East, India & Asia in different markets (budget and premium).

8) Rinse & repeat. Microsoft have got far greater engineers than Apple but they just need to streamline the Windows Phone branding.

That was fun. Probably won't happen though.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
All the parts combined cost $270.00, once again, all the parts combined cost $270.00 obviously marketing does cost some money, some of you have missed the point, once again, the point was, the cost to make the iPhone is $270.00 did I mention marketing, no ! <sigh>

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
All the parts combined cost $270.00, once again, all the parts combined cost $270.00 obviously marketing does cost some money, some of you have missed the point, once again, the point was, the cost to make the iPhone is $270.00 did I mention marketing, no ! <sigh>

I know you can do the math, but that is over $600 profit for Apple !

Um, okay.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the cost to make the iPhone is $270.00 did I mention marketing, no ! <sigh>

It doesn't matter if you mentioned it or not, it's still part of the cost to make the iPhone. The physical hardware itself may only cost $270, but that's not the ONLY cost involved with manufacturing the iPhone. What about salaries and benefits for the people assembling the $270 worth of parts? Or running the machines which do the assembly, which then brings in maintenance costs for the machines?

So, while the actual components which make up the iPhone may only run $270, the actual cost to actually make the iPhone is much higher.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter if you mentioned it or not, it's still part of the cost to make the iPhone. The physical hardware itself may only cost $270, but that's not the ONLY cost involved with manufacturing the iPhone. What about salaries and benefits for the people assembling the $270 worth of parts? Or running the machines which do the assembly, which then brings in maintenance costs for the machines?

So, while the actual components which make up the iPhone may only run $270, the actual cost to actually make the iPhone is much higher.

It matters little what you think the actual cost is. The numbers don't lie on the amount of margin Apple receives per device. That number is published and makes that $270 number much more significant than you present it to be.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
My Windows Phone Masterplan:

If I was Microsoft, here's what I would do with Windows Phone:

1) Scrap the Samsung-like multiple handset approach of lots of similar low-mid range phones and create just 3 different Main models (2 low entry, 1 Premium Flagship).

I agree that a more streamlined and more simpel aproach would be better

2) Create a Simple Model Name/Number system. The public don't know the difference between the 635 and the 830. Call the Flagship the Microsoft M1 (5") and M1 Plus (5.7"). The cheaper handsets the M1 mini & M1 lite. Advertise the M1 branding everywhere. Drop the Lumia name too, we need a fresh start.

I would myself prefer it another way first of all keep lumia and second of all; 3 series. 1 budget serie, 1 middle class serie and 1 premium. All series having both an normal and large [''plus''] sized screen. - and maybe a smaller sized one. but by judging on the current hype a smaller then 4,5 inch isn't gonna sell good

3) Upgrade WP OS once a year and everyone at the same time

This is logistically difficult, i would say smaller updates more regularly [as is being done]

4) Release future handsets upgrades at the same consistent time and use familiar branding (eg M2).
one thing i would like to see is quicker launchdates [eg; if its announced it should be in the stores within a week]

5) Hire Samsung's marketing team from 2012 and do things like give away free windows phones to disgruntled icustomers.

Haven't you seen Nokia's ad stunts?

6) Keep everything simple. Update and release stuff on confirmed dates. Seize opportunities to help people switch.

agreed

7) Forget the USA for now. Concentrate on Europe, Middle East, India & Asia in different markets (budget and premium).

Putting more effort into non US countries should be a wise direction

8) Rinse & repeat. Microsoft have got far greater engineers than Apple but they just need to streamline the Windows Phone branding.

They need to make it really really simple, like you mentioned with the m1 series [although i dont like the sound of that name]

That was fun. Probably won't happen though.

I've made some changes to your masterplan

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
As a long time Apple user if I had a contract to use right now it would be a toss up between the iPhone 6 Plus or the Note Edge there is nothing that Microsoft has right now that would hold me here since I have a 1020 which will not be getting further updates and nothing that I have seen in the works that could come close to replacing it. I have been very happy with my 1020 until this week when the few apps that I put money out for are not working properly one of which is the Weather Radar that I check all the time. I have no idea why they would announce new phones and then not have them available right away.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
As a long time Apple user if I had a contract to use right now it would be a toss up between the iPhone 6 Plus or the Note Edge there is nothing that Microsoft has right now that would hold me here since I have a 1020 which will not be getting further updates and nothing that I have seen in the works that could come close to replacing it. I have been very happy with my 1020 until this week when the few apps that I put money out for are not working properly one of which is the Weather Radar that I check all the time. I have no idea why they would announce new phones and then not have them available right away.

I'd go for the Note Edge.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site

And the profit they make from the phone goes back into those people pockets, therefore the cost is not much higher !

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I've made some changes to your masterplan
Would be happy with your version too. I'm still to be convinced about the mid range market as large growth numbers appear to be either budget or flagships. I also like frequent OS updates but don't think they fit in with a clearer Microsoft Mobile vision for new users like iOS. Clear, Simple and Strong is where Microsoft need to be with regards to its Device names and Mobile services with clearly set out release schedules. The long named numbers such as 1020 belong in the old Nokia devices not Smartphones. I also like the Lumia name, but feel like it may be simpler to scrap it in favor of a "Microsoft M1" style branding to compete against the i6, S5, Z3 etc. Microsoft's mobile offering feels like its been in transition for too long. Time for a fresh start I think.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
64-bit processor using 1GB RAM -- Really?

Above, my biggest disappointment and gripe with the iPhone 6 (A8). Last year we were teased with the 64-bit 1GB of RAM and its was almost as important to release a bigger screen AND 2GB of RAM to support the 64-bit, but Nope. Im still shocked about this, Apple couldnt be any more obvious where they've left things to go with 6S.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It matters little what you think the actual cost is. The numbers don't lie on the amount of margin Apple receives per device. That number is published and makes that $270 number much more significant than you present it to be.

It doesn't matter what the actual cost is. In spite of the price, people are camping out in order to be the first to buy. Apple sold 10 million in 3 days. Apple is free to charge whatever price they want. So with sales like they have, why would they charge less? If you don't like the price, don't buy. It's a free market.

What would you do differently than Apple did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077