The iPhone 6 is a bit of a disappointment, a chance for MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter what the actual cost is. In spite of the price, people are camping out in order to be the first to buy. Apple sold 10 million in 3 days. Apple is free to charge whatever price they want. So with sales like they have, why would they charge less? If you don't like the price, don't buy. It's a free market.

What would you do differently than Apple did?

In this context the actual cost does matter since I look at things from a component level. Don't misunderstand my point as a matter of doing anything differently. Apple has been stagnant and uses last gen components in a new 2014 phone and champions it in a nice new packaging. There's nothing wrong with that. However I tend to look more than skin deep on my purchases. If I choose to buy an Apple product, it very likely won't be for the marketing they've targeted at me.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In this context the actual cost does matter since I look at things from a component level.

No. A product's value is not what it cost to produce plus a bit of profit. A product's value is what people will pay for it. Some things need to be sold at or below cost. That's because they cost more to produce than the market will bear. Other products, such as the iPhone, are the opposite. The market will bear a price much higher than cost. Hence the high markup. Apple should be applauded for producing the iPhone at such a low cost.

If you were Apple, would you lower the price by $200 even when you have demand like they do? I didn't think so!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
No. A product's value is not what it cost to produce plus a bit of profit. A product's value is what people will pay for it. Some things need to be sold at or below cost. That's because they cost more to produce than the market will bear. Other products, such as the iPhone, are the opposite. The market will bear a price much higher than cost. Hence the high markup. Apple should be applauded for producing the iPhone at such a low cost.

If you were Apple, would you lower the price by $200 even when you have demand like they do? I didn't think so!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

So... you seem to keep thinking I want to run a company. Reasons why, I don't know. This is coming purely from a consumer standpoint (my standpoint).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So... you seem to keep thinking I want to run a company. Reasons why, I don't know. This is coming purely from a consumer standpoint (my standpoint).

Ah, that makes sense. So you think the iPhone is too expensive and wish it was lower priced. Well, so do I. I wish that everything I bought was lower priced, and that everything I sell was higher priced.

You, as a consumer, are free to buy or not buy an iPhone. Apple, as the seller, is free to price it at whatever price they wish. If you think it's priced too high, don't buy it. If it is worth it to you, buy it. That's how the free market works. You are not wrong, and likewise Apple is not wrong.

And as a disclaimer, I am not an Apple ****** by any stretch of the imagination. People are saying that the forthcoming 830 will be priced too high. Well, the market will determine that. If it doesn't sell at the projected price, either the price will drop (even it it goes at or below cost) or the product will be discontinued. Microsoft will not say, "Guys, look! It cost us $349 to produce this bad boy, and you shouldn't begrudge us a $50 profit. The price is $399. BUY IT!"

Supply & demand determines prices more than anything else.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ah, that makes sense. So you think the iPhone is too expensive and wish it was lower priced. Well, so do I. I wish that everything I bought was lower priced, and that everything I sell was higher priced.

No. I don't wish it were lower. You can probably ignore my posts. I don't think you are grasping my point.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll give them that they're brilliant in marketing, always have been. Though, not so much in crowd control when it comes to a widespread problem, which I'm wondering what they'll do with the Plus Bend.

For one, Bendgate is completely overstated. Secondly, they're replacing all bent phones.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another article quoted Apple as saying that at the time of the article, they [Apple] had only received 9 complaints about bent/bending phones. Now, I realize that even though Apple has now stated they'll replace them, they'll also want to publically minimize the scope of the problem, but 9 complaints makes me wonder how much of an issue it truly is versus how much of an issue blogger pundits and news outlets is reporting it to be.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
@iamtim They are hardly going to admit any true scale of the problem are they? Lol

The Great Timmy has spoken, so it must be true. Rejoice!

In his defense, so far we haven't heard otherwise. And if it's true, 9 out of more than 10 million isn't bad. Ha, there have probably been Lumia (or insert any other phone model) users who have gone through 9 replacements themselves!

The antennae issue didn't hurt Apple, at least not noticeably. The Apple Maps issue didn't hurt Apple. Any software glitches such as 8.0.1 are a non issue simply because it's relatively simple to push out a fix. I don't think this will hurt Apple either. In fact, the media attention will probably end up helping. Maybe Apple did it on purpose!

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The new iphone is nothing new. Still does not have-
FM
file manager
Sd card slot
Removable battery
Micro USB
No Bluetooth ftp
No mtp
No battery saver mode
No offline maps
Low ppi screen
Bending problem
No camera button
Mediocre camera(8mp in 2014? Rip-off)
No glance/notification led
No lock screen notifications
No double tap to wake
No interchangeable colour shells
Email client sucks as comp to WP
Still have to manage everything through itunes
imessage problem not fixed
Can't project screen via USB to a PC.
Only 2 mics,1520 has 4 for half the price.
My $20 Nokia dumbphone has an sd slot,fm, file manager, removable battery. Apple can't put that in a 700$ smartphone? Shame.
App gap in India as comp to WP. Many important apps are not there. Eg-
IRCTC
NTES
DISQUS
6tag
NOKIA CAMERA (manual focus)
Photo beamer
Project my screen
Microsoft Office remote
Song arc
Office
Office lens(scanned image to PDF, word,ppt)
Lexis audio editor
Tag editor
Jarvis
Unibeam
Transfer my data
Lumia auto selfie
Lumia refocus
Nokia Car app

Integrated Skype video call
Xbox live
Xbox smart glass
INCODE
Music+
Nokia Mix radio
Here maps with offline navigation
Here drive+
Here transit
AccuWeather
Atmosphere
All Xbox live games!
Bookviser
FbReader
Sparrow Reader
Data sense
Xbox music
Xbox video
Xbox extras
Age of Empires: Castle seige
Unibeam

Last edited:

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey agree op apple is like Mercedes if u can afford buy them they are not forcing you to buy their product.Are there any people cursing mercedes for their cost.get real people apple are the best profit making company in smartphones. They can charge any sum for their iphone because people buy them.it is choice for anyone to buy or not.if u cannot afford get what is within your budget and remain contented.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. You're wrong on a couple of items:

file manager
There are more file manager apps in the App Store with the same functionality as MS' own Files app for WP.

No lock screen notifications
You can set any app which has notifications to show said notifications on the lock screen.

Email client sucks as comp to WP
That's pretty subjective. I like WPs email client, but I prefer iOSs. I say you're wrong here, others might not.

Still have to manage everything through iTunes
The only thing I have to use iTunes for is to sync music which didn't come from the iTunes Music Store (I don't use iTunes Match). And recently I've been using Spotify Local Files for those, so I haven't even been plugging in for that. So, as with the email client, this is subjective; I say you're wrong, others may disagree.

imessage problem not fixed
I'm unaware of an iMessage problem. Care to expand?

The Office app is actually better on iOS than it is on WP. Same with OneNote and Skype as well.

Xbox smart glass
Nope, it's in there, for both 360 and One. And, as with Office, OneNote, and Skype, they're actually better on iOS.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. You're wrong on a couple of items:

There are more file manager apps in the App Store with the same functionality as MS' own Files app for WP.

That's pretty subjective. I like WPs email client, but I prefer iOSs. I say you're wrong here, others might not.

The only thing I have to use iTunes for is to sync music which didn't come from the iTunes Music Store (I don't use iTunes Match). And recently I've been using Spotify Local Files for those, so I haven't even been plugging in for that. So, as with the email client, this is subjective; I say you're wrong, others may disagree.

I'm unaware of an iMessage problem. Care to expand?

The Office app is actually better on iOS than it is on WP. Same with OneNote and Skype as well.

Nope, it's in there, for both 360 and One. And, as with Office, OneNote, and Skype, they're actually better on iOS.

But there is no "OFFICIAL" file manager. :)

Paul thurrot also prefers WP email client as compared to ios. He has given some pretty good reasons on his site.

You can't just plug in your iPhone and copy files to phone memory. You have to download and install iTunes to have to do anything with file managing. You have to sync music, videos and Office files through iTunes, cannot just copy paste via Windows explorer.

If you leave iPhone for another phone, messages sent to you by friends can't reach you, they remain in some sort of suspended state.

That's highly subjective. Also you get the WP app for free. You have to have an Office 365 subscription here in India to use Office on ios.

Xbox video and music are not available in India for Android and ios. Notice,I mentioned INDIA before starting the list of missing apps.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520.3, 920, LG Optimus G Pro and iPhone 6 (1st iPhone ever).
Technically there is nothing wrong with the iPhone...IMOP I wish Microsoft had the same phone support (more than apps) network that apple has.

Forget all the screen tech talk mumbo jumbo the screen on the 6 looks damn good and I can find just about anything I want from accessories to apps for the damn thing. The battery life is just fine for me and as I write this I have about 7 hours of stand by time and I it took it off the charger at 8am.

Get what you like and what works for you. Last thing, IOS is not even on the same level as WP. Microsoft could so blow them out of the water if they would just focus.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
But there is no "OFFICIAL" file manager. :)

Paul thurrot also prefers WP email client as compared to ios. He has given some pretty good reasons on his site.

You can't just plug in your iPhone and copy files to phone memory. You have to download and install iTunes to have to do anything with file managing. You have to sync music, videos and Office files through iTunes, cannot just copy paste via Windows explorer.

If you leave iPhone for another phone, messages sent to you by friends can't reach you, they remain in some sort of suspended state.

That's highly subjective. Also you get the WP app for free. You have to have an Office 365 subscription here in India to use Office on ios.

Xbox video and music are not available in India for Android and ios. Notice,I mentioned INDIA before starting the list of missing apps.

I'm going to respond to the bold. The first one is irrelevant. It's still subjective and some might still prefer iOS. The second is wrong when it comes down to the iPhone *.

*Source: Office For iPhone And Android Is Now Free | TechCrunch

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to respond to the bold. The first one is irrelevant. It's still subjective and some might still prefer iOS. The second is wrong when it comes down to the iPhone *.

*Source: Office For iPhone And Android Is Now Free | TechCrunch
Right, you have no problems with using a third party file manager on ios, but when it comes down to WP, sir wants everything to be official. Yeah, right. I get the idea.

I mentioned India specifically. Office requires a 365 subscription for India.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyway coming to the point, just tested the Office app on my brothers canvas HD, still demands 365 subscription.

Well, coming to the point, I still think you're wrong. Your original post that I quoted talked about the iPhone and said that it "Still does not have ... Office". It had nothing to do with the Canvas HD. Using the Canvas HD as a test is... completely worthless in this situation.

Allow me to direct you to Microsoft's India site for Office Mobile: Office Mobile - Office apps for iPad, iPhone, Android & Windows Phone (The /en-in/ means English - India, you can also see the India login in the top-right corner of the page.)

If, on that site, you look under iPad, it does state that "Editing and creating documents with Office for iPad requires an eligible Office 365 subscription". However, we're talking about the iPhone and if you look under iPhone, it does not have that verbiage and actually states that "Office Mobile works great with Office 365", which clearly indicates it is an option and not a requirement. Further, if you look at the Office Mobile FAQ (accessed at Microsoft Office for home and school FAQ through the "see the list" link on the iPad page - note that it's still /en-in/), you'll see that it states "...Office Mobile for iPhone ... can be used for free for non-commercial use, simply download the app from the store on your phone..."

I will capitulate that to access documents in SharePoint or OneDrive for Business an Office 365 subscription is required, but for consumer use there is no such requirement for the iPhone in India. At least according to Microsoft themselves.

Sakitumi

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't really know about iPhone performance not mot more than seeing one in peoples hand, but I have the coolest phone. It's a beautiful Nokia Lumia 620. Anyone with cool Nokias?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't really know about iPhone performance not mot more than seeing one in peoples hand, but I have the coolest phone. It's a beautiful Nokia Lumia 620. Anyone with cool Nokias?
I also have a beautiful 620. In fact it is so beautiful that even apple decided to copy it's design for their iPhone 5c. 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium