The iPhone 6 is a bit of a disappointment, a chance for MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Well, coming to the point, I still think you're wrong. Your original post that I quoted talked about the iPhone and said that it "Still does not have ... Office". It had nothing to do with the Canvas HD. Using the Canvas HD as a test is... completely worthless in this situation.

Allow me to direct you to Microsoft's India site for Office Mobile: Office Mobile - Office apps for iPad, iPhone, Android & Windows Phone (The /en-in/ means English - India, you can also see the India login in the top-right corner of the page.)

If, on that site, you look under iPad, it does state that "Editing and creating documents with Office for iPad requires an eligible Office 365 subscription". However, we're talking about the iPhone and if you look under iPhone, it does not have that verbiage and actually states that "Office Mobile works great with Office 365", which clearly indicates it is an option and not a requirement. Further, if you look at the Office Mobile FAQ (accessed at Microsoft Office for home and school FAQ through the "see the list" link on the iPad page - note that it's still /en-in/), you'll see that it states "...Office Mobile for iPhone ... can be used for free for non-commercial use, simply download the app from the store on your phone..."

I will capitulate that to access documents in SharePoint or OneDrive for Business an Office 365 subscription is required, but for consumer use there is no such requirement for the iPhone in India. At least according to Microsoft themselves.
Well I just tested this on my brothers Android phone. Downloaded it, opened the app, it showed me a small slideshow on the features, and it asked me to sign in with an Office account, Which I don't have. No option to skip or anything. Beats me.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been with WP since the 920 release. I love the OS. However, we do have an app problem, regardless of what some may say. In addition, the lack of a new flagship device is a real problem. Also, exclusive releases of new phones are incredibly annoying.

Didier3001

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
This sort of thing is total and complete BS and I hate to see when this garbage is passed around. There's far more that goes into a product than just the parts themselves. Research is expensive. Developing a product to bring it to market is expensive. And yes, even marketing a product on the scale that Apple does is expensive. They don't just flip a switch and pop out a device.

I get that we all prefer non-iPhone products, but that's no reason to ignore facts.
Apple give 30% discount to their employees. I used to work for one of the largest PC manufacturer and their margin on a PC sold was 12%. So we can clearly see that Apple take more money from their customers....

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I just tested this on my brothers Android phone. Downloaded it, opened the app, it showed me a small slideshow on the features, and it asked me to sign in with an Office account, Which I don't have. No option to skip or anything. Beats me.

Did you try signing in using the Microsoft account you used on your Windows Phone?

Beyond that, your logic is supremely flawed: "the iPhone doesn't have Office because my brother's Android phone doesn't have Office" is a completely fallacious. Especially after being shown that even Microsoft says you can use Office on the iPhone for free in India.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Did you try signing in using the Microsoft account you used on your Windows Phone?

Beyond that, your logic is supremely flawed: "the iPhone doesn't have Office because my brother's Android phone doesn't have Office" is a completely fallacious. Especially after being shown that even Microsoft says you can use Office on the iPhone for free in India.
Yea, and it's saying error: Password or user name incorrect.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea, and it's saying error: Password or user name incorrect.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. Your brother's Android phone - or even Android in general - has nothing to do with Office on the iPhone, which, as I have shown, even Microsoft says is free to use in India.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter if you mentioned it or not, it's still part of the cost to make the iPhone. The physical hardware itself may only cost $270, but that's not the ONLY cost involved with manufacturing the iPhone. What about salaries and benefits for the people assembling the $270 worth of parts? Or running the machines which do the assembly, which then brings in maintenance costs for the machines?

So, while the actual components which make up the iPhone may only run $270, the actual cost to actually make the iPhone is much higher.

Let's also add in the op costs of each building (utilities, insurance, property tax, etc), the companies they contract for their fitness centers, all of the people who work on each campus worldwide, flying employees places for meetings, etc.

There are a ton of costs involved in running a business and I wonder how much of that $600 they actually make.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Your brother's Android phone - or even Android in general - has nothing to do with Office on the iPhone, which, as I have shown, even Microsoft says is free to use in India.

It doesnt work on Android because you need a Office 365 account (says in Google Play Store Description)...so Windows Phone does get the edge here (against Android, not iPhone has i cant confirm but know it works on my wifes 5S).

Update: Nevermind, checked the store and a lot of people are complaining they cant sign in...must be an issue....

Update 2: I downloaded Office Mobile for Android, logged in with no issues.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

You need a Microsoft account, not Office 365. Office for Android is in fact free. And FWIW, Office 2013 (for PC) also requires a Microsoft account.

It doesnt work on Android because you need a Office 365 account (says in Google Play Store Description)...so Windows Phone does get the edge here (against Android, not iPhone has i cant confirm but know it works on my wifes 5S).

See above.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You need a Microsoft account, not Office 365. Office for Android is in fact free. And FWIW, Office 2013 (for PC) also requires a Microsoft account.

See above.
Nope,I use Office 2013 for PC, and it doesn't require you to sign in with a Microsoft account unless your product key is locked to that specific account(I.e you purchased it online or have a school account). I just use Office 2013 for PC as is. I've haven't signed in yet with my Hotmail account.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope,I use Office 2013 for PC, and it doesn't require you to sign in with a Microsoft account unless your product key is locked to that specific account(I.e you purchased it online or have a school account). I just use Office 2013 for PC as is. I've haven't signed in yet with my Hotmail account.

Well yes, I didn't clarify. You don't need to log in to the account on Office, but you need an account to install it. One way or another, you cannot use Office 2013 without a Microsoft account.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Well yes, I didn't clarify. You don't need to log in to the account on Office, but you need an account to install it. One way or another, you cannot use Office 2013 without a Microsoft account.
Err, I'm not sure you got me. When I install Office 2013 from my CD, it asks me for my product key. I put it, it gets installed. And then I use it as normal. Nowhere during the installation process, and while using the program, does it ask for a Microsoft account except when you click files> accounts and manually sign in to upload your files to one drive. So, no, It ISN'T MANDATORY to need an MS account to use Office 2013.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Err, I'm not sure you got me. When I install Office 2013 from my CD, it asks me for my product key. I put it, it gets installed. And then I use it as normal. Nowhere during the installation process, and while using the program, does it ask for a Microsoft account except when you click files> accounts and manually sign in to upload your files to one drive. So, no, It ISN'T MANDATORY to need an MS account to use Office 2013.

You must have Office 2010 or earlier. I believe Office 2013 is download only. Unless it's different outside the US. We sell it retail, and it's not available on a disk.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

See above.

Yes, i clarified afterwards as you can see i downloaded Office and have access to all my Office Cloud material as well

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
This is why apple lovers get a bad rap, regarding the $270 dollar amount and people giving this guy a hard time, your leaving out huge factors, EVERY other phone manuf. has the same costs that apple does, yet apple is the richest company in the world, other manuf. like Samsung actually sell more phones than apple yet apple has more money, this is because apple uses sub par parts in their phones, 8MP sensor you really think that cost a lot when there are phones with 41mp?? 1 gig of ram??!!? Lol don't be ridiculous, and if you want cold hard facts, apple spends like than a billion dollars a year on R&D yes you heard right its around 500 million, before nokia was bought by MSFT nokia spent 5 BILLION dollars per year on R&D and nokia made most phones, apple makes phones, ipods, IOS, ipads and now iwatch, yet only spend 500 million of the BILLIONS they make, they are a rip off yes you are a sucker for buying and there is no other explanation for sales other than hype from other people buying it. No it isn't the worst or the best product, but is it worth 1000? Sorry but my windows phone works day in and day and holds up way better than any iphone to drop tests nokia has videos upon videos to show their testing their phones go through, THAT costs money if apple was doing this testing they would've known about it or just don't care about the bending. Yes apple has the apps this is what happens when you have marketshare and everybody wants to develop for you, YOU get better apps and more of them, this has nothing to do with anything apple does, the apps that run like crap on windows are because developers do not care about windows, has nothing to do with the ability of msft to make a stable OS cause they already have. They are better than android because android is not a stable OS, hence the reason you get a company selling millions year after year and charging crazy prices for accessories and products that literally cost them 270 plus what 50 million in research and another 10 in marketing??? its well known Samsung spends more on marketing than apple, they are cheapskates, say on 100 billion dollars for how many years before doing something with it. Are they smart ? maybe the smartest but who cares. I happen to work in a consumer product business for a company that is top 10 biggest companies by revenue in the world, no its not a tech company, and our competition who happens to the biggest in the world in what they do as far as marketshare, makes some of the crappiest products you can imagine, biggest marketshare doesn't not mean you make the best product a lot of the time it means the opposite, now apple doesn't have the biggest but they are headed that way. If you want proof look at other manuf. other than tech sites its the same everywhere, Toyota sells an absolute TON of cars I mean pretty much more than everybody, but you would rather drive a Toyota or a FERRARI who sells very few cars, who do you think uses better quality parts? Apple is the Honda of phones, yeah they run forever everybody drives one but they are cheaply made and boring and people buy them just cause they say Honda, the only difference is Honda isn't expensive like apple so I don't feel ripped off when I buy a Honda.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Sign with your Microsoft account that is it you have same office like wp.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You must have Office 2010 or earlier. I believe Office 2013 is download only. Unless it's different outside the US. We sell it retail, and it's not available on a disk.

No, it is a retail cd I dunno about the US. People buy the Office 2013 CD 💿 for personal use here(mostly), not online, as data plans with high speed and high data are very costly as compared to the US.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No, it is a retail cd I dunno about the US. People buy the Office 2013 CD 💿 for personal use here(mostly), not online, as data plans with high speed and high data are very costly as compared to the US.

That's interesting! I didn't know that Office 2013 on a disk was even an option. Could you possibly take a photo of the disk and/or case and post it here? I wonder if I could get ahold of them somewhere. I'm sure lots of people would love to have that option. We recently had a customer who bought Office 2010 rather than 2013 because he didn't want to create a Microsoft account.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting! I didn't know that Office 2013 on a disk was even an option. Could you possibly take a photo of the disk and/or case and post it here? I wonder if I could get ahold of them somewhere. I'm sure lots of people would love to have that option. We recently had a customer who bought Office 2010 rather than 2013 because he didn't want to create a Microsoft account.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-office-2013-physical-discs-still-sold-in-some-countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb