The iPhone 6 is a bit of a disappointment, a chance for MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobGG

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
The new iphone is nothing new. Still does not have-
FM
file manager
Sd card slot
Removable battery
Micro USB
No Bluetooth ftp
No mtp
No battery saver mode
No offline maps
Low ppi screen
Bending problem
No camera button
Mediocre camera(8mp in 2014? Rip-off)
No glance/notification led
No lock screen notifications
No double tap to wake
No interchangeable colour shells
Email client sucks as comp to WP
Still have to manage everything through itunes
imessage problem not fixed
Can't project screen via USB to a PC.
Only 2 mics,1520 has 4 for half the price.
My $20 Nokia dumbphone has an sd slot,fm, file manager, removable battery. Apple can't put that in a 700$ smartphone? Shame.
App gap in India as comp to WP. Many important apps are not there. Eg-
IRCTC
NTES
DISQUS
6tag
NOKIA CAMERA (manual focus)
Photo beamer
Project my screen
Microsoft Office remote
Song arc
Office
Office lens(scanned image to PDF, word,ppt)
Lexis audio editor
Tag editor
Jarvis
Unibeam
Transfer my data
Lumia auto selfie
Lumia refocus
Nokia Car app

Integrated Skype video call
Xbox live
Xbox smart glass
INCODE
Music+
Nokia Mix radio
Here maps with offline navigation
Here drive+
Here transit
AccuWeather
Atmosphere
All Xbox live games!
Bookviser
FbReader
Sparrow Reader
Data sense
Xbox music
Xbox video
Xbox extras
Age of Empires: Castle seige
Unibeam

"FM" seriously? why? are we suddenly in the 90s again? It's ok if you need radio FM, i can understand you like to listen to your radio stations, but you're the only person i have seen wanting FM.

Man, you are fun to read, but some of the features you list here are laughable, some aren't needed by everyone some are there and work even better, some are not even on all windows phones, yes i was one of those guys that bought an icon and never enjoyed having glance or two tap to wake up screen, now i have a physical button, a fingerprint scanner and screen notifications (yes the iphone has lockscreen notifications)

For the record i do like WP, i've had the 925, the 1020, and the ICON as of recently, if you ask me all phones have flaws, just last year wp had a universal volume control, if you ask me that is just plain unacceptable... it's just a matter of preference of how you want to do things and what little things make a big difference to you as an individual. As of now all i miss from my icon is the better screen resolution i had, the better camera maybe, but the iphone's 6 camera isn't mediocre at all, it's not all about megapixels, fluidity and the slow mo features have been cool to play with.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
"FM" seriously? why? are we suddenly in the 90s again? It's ok if you need radio FM, i can understand you like to listen to your radio stations, but you're the only person i have seen wanting FM.

Man, you are fun to read, but some of the features you list here are laughable, some aren't needed by everyone some are there and work even better, some are not even on all windows phones, yes i was one of those guys that bought an icon and never enjoyed having glance or two tap to wake up screen, now i have a physical button, a fingerprint scanner and screen notifications (yes the iphone has lockscreen notifications)

For the record i do like WP, i've had the 925, the 1020, and the ICON as of recently, if you ask me all phones have flaws, just last year wp had a universal volume control, if you ask me that is just plain unacceptable... it's just a matter of preference of how you want to do things and what little things make a big difference to you as an individual. As of now all i miss from my icon is the better screen resolution i had, the better camera maybe, but the iphone's 6 camera isn't mediocre at all, it's not all about megapixels, fluidity and the slow mo features have been cool to play with.
The US is not the whole world, you know. In countries like India, China, Russia and Africa, fm is THE prime source of free news for 99% of the people. And that's nearly half the world which would like to disagree with you. Typical American.

If you want to argue about WP and ios's past issues,I can name quite a few. No text prediction since 7 years. Lol, ultimate fail. And apple calls themselves a company. And an sd slot is a big deal for many. I personally don't like to pay 200$ for the same phone with only some extra memory. And you also can't zoom into a recording video. Fail. I can go on but that would just be a waste of time arguing with an iFanboi.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

See I know many people in US don't listen to radio, doesn't mean rest of the world doesn't. Just listening to radio means living in the 90s? I have a huge music library on my phone as well as on my iPod& PC, still I prefer listening to radio as its refreshing sometimes.

The features which an iPhone doesn't have doesn't matter to you, but those were some of the basic features which even a worst phone in the world has it. Hence since the past 2 years iPhone sales have been decreasing(apple is still making profit), & it'll continue to decrease. Yes all the phones have flaws but compared to other companies Nokia phones have less flaws & the best customer service.

RobGG

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Actually I'm not American, why do you assume that?

Look, if FM is useful for you that is great, but we are talking about smartphones here, I can get a 5 dollar radio to listen to FM stations if i wanted. What i want out of a smartphone is different, i can see live streams of tv stations, listen to live radio stations on apps i have. I have a friend that has a dumb phone that has an antenna that lets her watch TV on her small 1'' screen, that is basically the only thing it can do besides texting and making calls... does that make it a better phone?

Go ahead and call me a ''ifanboy'' or whatever you want, I actually see WP's advantages and can see where it can be better than other platforms, but i do also see it's flaws unlike you who seem to think that your cellphone is superior in every aspect to android and ios devices and assume that anyone that disagrees with you is a ''typical American''... I'm Mexican by the way.

RobGG

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
See I know many people in US don't listen to radio, doesn't mean rest of the world doesn't. Just listening to radio means living in the 90s? I have a huge music library on my phone as well as on my iPod& PC, still I prefer listening to radio as its refreshing sometimes.

The features which an iPhone doesn't have doesn't matter to you, but those were some of the basic features which even a worst phone in the world has it. Hence since the past 2 years iPhone sales have been decreasing(apple is still making profit), & it'll continue to decrease. Yes all the phones have flaws but compared to other companies Nokia phones have less flaws & the best customer service.

1. Radio stations are cool, I can listen to them with the tune in radio app, can also visit the radio station website and listen to it from there. I would take an official youtube app on WP over FM radio any day.

2. I don't own apple, nor do care if it's sales are lower or higher, so that is not important to me, i just want a device that does what i want it to do, works all the time, gets updated, doesn't get hot (ICON), doesn't randomly reboot, has good battery life, and has useful apps that save me time and money. Right now IOS is a better option than WP for me.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Look, if FM is useful for you that is great, but we are talking about smartphones here, I can get a 5 dollar radio to listen to FM stations if i wanted. What i want out of a smartphone is different, i can see live streams of tv stations, listen to live radio stations on apps i have. I have a friend that has a dumb phone that has an antenna that lets her watch TV on her small 1'' screen, that is basically the only thing it can do besides texting and making calls... does that make it a better phone?

Go ahead and call me a ''ifanboy'' or whatever you want, I actually see WP's advantages and can see where it can be better than other platforms, but i do also see it's flaws unlike you who seem to think that your cellphone is superior in every aspect to android and ios devices and assume that anyone that disagrees with you is a ''typical American''... I'm Mexican by the way.
Lol Mexico is in South America, right? And since you mentioned the icon, which is obviously available only in America, you have to be American.

An fm chip costs like,$1. Apple can't put that in a 700$ phone? Even my $20 Nokia dumbphone has radio. A "smartphone" should have all the basic features of a dumb phone by default, otherwise its not called a "smart" phone. See the logic before arguing with me. You are using your data plan on iPhone to listen to radio, so basically you're paying for something that is already free. Tell me ONE good reason as to why Apple SHOULDN'T put in an fm chip in iPhone. One.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I have many radios, Walkman etc, but why do i use it? Why should I carry it separately when I can have it in my smartphone?

I never said WP is better than Android or iOS. Just taking about flaws of iOS, makes WP better? I'm well aware of WPs disadvantages. But compared to an iPhone they still have the basic features.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The simple answer to the OP's question of whether MS/Nokia could make a smartphone that beats the iPhone is in short, not possible.

And even if it's possible, it'll be pretty difficult.

Nokia makes great smartphones, no doubt but they have one major shortcoming: Windows Phone.

Windows Phone in one way or the other, and when compared as a whole doesn't come near what an iOS device can do. They'll be things that Windows Phone can do better, but compare it as a whole and it will lose.

The iPhone does less stuff, than say an Android device would, but what it does, it does extremely well. The screen is great, the camera is amazing, the build is great, and so on...

Apple also has a huge community to back them up as well, and many of those hardcore iOS fans can be maybe convinced to switch to Android after many many years of persuasion, but honestly very few of them will give a damn about Windows Phone.

Then again, if Microsoft/Nokia makes an Android device with great features, who knows? It might just take off. But the chances they'll do that is very slim at best.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The new iphone is nothing new. Still does not have-
FM
file manager
Sd card slot
Removable battery
Micro USB
No Bluetooth ftp
No mtp
No battery saver mode
No offline maps
Low ppi screen
Bending problem
No camera button
Mediocre camera(8mp in 2014? Rip-off)
No glance/notification led
No lock screen notifications
No double tap to wake
No interchangeable colour shells
Email client sucks as comp to WP
Still have to manage everything through itunes
imessage problem not fixed
Can't project screen via USB to a PC.
Only 2 mics,1520 has 4 for half the price.
My $20 Nokia dumbphone has an sd slot,fm, file manager, removable battery. Apple can't put that in a 700$ smartphone? Shame.
App gap in India as comp to WP. Many important apps are not there. Eg-
IRCTC
NTES
DISQUS
6tag
NOKIA CAMERA (manual focus)
Photo beamer
Project my screen
Microsoft Office remote
Song arc
Office
Office lens(scanned image to PDF, word,ppt)
Lexis audio editor
Tag editor
Jarvis
Unibeam
Transfer my data
Lumia auto selfie
Lumia refocus
Nokia Car app

Integrated Skype video call
Xbox live
Xbox smart glass
INCODE
Music+
Nokia Mix radio
Here maps with offline navigation
Here drive+
Here transit
AccuWeather
Atmosphere
All Xbox live games!
Bookviser
FbReader
Sparrow Reader
Data sense
Xbox music
Xbox video

Xbox extras
Age of Empires: Castle seige
Unibeam

The things in bold aren't missing from the iPhone. The 6+ has a higher PPI screen than the 1520. Sure, the Office Lens does fewer things (and is tied to OneNote at this point), but it exists. Also, one of your points is ... that he iPhone doesn't have a 3rd party Instagram app. Another one is the overstated bending problem.

Edit: That isn't even going into further research for apps, or pointing out that the camera are about more than Megapixels.

Edit 2: Turns out the "No lock screen notifications" thing is false as well.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The things in bold aren't missing from the iPhone. The 6+ has a higher PPI screen than the 1520. Sure, the Office Lens does fewer things (and is tied to OneNote at this point), but it exists. Also, one of your points is ... that he iPhone doesn't have a 3rd party Instagram app. Another one is the overstated bending problem.

Edit: That isn't even going into further research for apps, or pointing out that the camera are about more than Megapixels.

lock screen notifications on iPhone, especially for texts, are handled better than WP imo. I can read the texts without having to unlock the screen.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
lock screen notifications on iPhone, especially for texts, are handled better than WP imo. I can read the texts without having to unlock the screen.

My point is more that I looked over the list and saw several things that were blatantly wrong. WP is good, a person doesn't have to lie about the iPhone to make it seem better.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A "smartphone" should have all the basic features of a dumb phone by default, otherwise its not called a "smart" phone.

Here's the first paragraph from the Wikipedia entry on "smartphone":
"A smartphone (or smart phone) is a mobile phone with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones.[1][2][3]Smartphones typically include the features of a phone with those of another popular consumer device, such as a personal digital assistant, a media player, a digital camera, and/or a GPS navigation unit. Later smartphones include all of those plus the features of a touchscreen computer, including web browsing, Wi-Fi, 3rd-party apps, motion sensor and mobile payment."

At no point on that page does it say ANYTHING about FM radio being a requisite feature on a smartphone.

Personally, in all of my years in IT and as a smartphone user, the first phone with FM radio was the Lumia 520 I had for a few weeks. I never once used it.

Just because YOU like, want, and use FM radio on your smartphone does not make it a requisite function for a smartphone.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Beg pardon, but what things are in bold that are not missing from ios?

I wanted to point out that 6tag is a lot better instagram client in terms of interface and smoothness than the ios one, which I've used.

The bending problem is not overstated. It exists in every model of the iPhone 6+.

Err, many of these apps are useful ones that are not available on Android or ios. You can't book train tickets in India using either OS due to non availability of an official IRCTC app. But WP can. This is specifically for India, where I can safely say that there is no app gap for WP.

You're right, is not all about megapixels. But megapixels provide more room to zoom and still get a clear picture. There are many threads in here which point out the superiority of the 1520/1020 camera over iPhone. You can search.

You may be right about the lock screen thing. I've not used the iPhone 6 as it's not yet available where I live.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The simple answer to the OP's question of whether MS/Nokia could make a smartphone that beats the iPhone is in short, not possible.

And even if it's possible, it'll be pretty difficult.

Nokia makes great smartphones, no doubt but they have one major shortcoming: Windows Phone.

Windows Phone in one way or the other, and when compared as a whole doesn't come near what an iOS device can do. They'll be things that Windows Phone can do better, but compare it as a whole and it will lose.

The iPhone does less stuff, than say an Android device would, but what it does, it does extremely well. The screen is great, the camera is amazing, the build is great, and so on...

Apple also has a huge community to back them up as well, and many of those hardcore iOS fans can be maybe convinced to switch to Android after many many years of persuasion, but honestly very few of them will give a damn about Windows Phone.

Then again, if Microsoft/Nokia makes an Android device with great features, who knows? It might just take off. But the chances they'll do that is very slim at best.

To beat iPhone in what, bend test? Or some of those iPhones which break at the smallest fall.
If you're just considering the smoothness of OS, WP is smooth, doesn't lag. Talking about apps/games in WP, I've already told, apps/games lag in WP due to poor app development, not because WP is not a good OS.
Atleast WP isn't as stubborn as iOS. Deal with it.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Here's the first paragraph from the Wikipedia entry on "smartphone":
"A smartphone (or smart phone) is a mobile phone with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones.[1][2][3]Smartphones typically include the features of a phone with those of another popular consumer device, such as a personal digital assistant, a media player, a digital camera, and/or a GPS navigation unit. Later smartphones include all of those plus the features of a touchscreen computer, including web browsing, Wi-Fi, 3rd-party apps, motion sensor and mobile payment."

At no point on that page does it say ANYTHING about FM radio being a requisite feature on a smartphone.

Personally, in all of my years in IT and as a smartphone user, the first phone with FM radio was the Lumia 520 I had for a few weeks. I never once used it.

Just because YOU like, want, and use FM radio on your smartphone does not make it a requisite function for a smartphone.
I will fight you in your way then. Read the first line. "A smartphone (or smart phone) is a mobile phone with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones" How is the iPhone advanced as compared to a basic phone when it doesn't have an fm chip, sd slot, file manager and a removable battery? Kindly enlighten me. I don't see any viable alternate form of tech implemented in the iPhone for these basic features.

And yes,I do want fm in my phone, as do half the people in the world. Your country is not the whole world,ya know. 99% of people in developing countries listen to fm as their primary source of news, for free. You have to pay to listen to fm on an iPhone. How is that "advanced technology" than a basic phone? I would advise you to read what you post, and most importantly, see and understand the logic behind it. You just shot yourself in the foot by posting that Wikipedia article lol

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
The title of this thread is nonsensical because it's totally subjective, there's still millions of people who absolutely love the iphone6.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How is the iPhone advanced as compared to a basic phone when it doesn't have an fm chip, sd slot, file manager and a removable battery?

This is such an absolutely ludicrous question I don't even know where to start, much less if I even should. I probably shouldn't. I mean, are you really asking that question?

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I honestly believe that the lack of real advances in iOS and the recent announcements from MS about the continuity across platforms is indeed an opportunity for MS. Many app developers, who have waited or simply avoided WP all together, are likely to jump at the chance if they now have the opportunity to have their apps not only on WP, but on all Windows machines. From a monetary standpoint, they would be crazy not to.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I will fight you in your way then. Read the first line. "A smartphone (or smart phone) is a mobile phone with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones" How is the iPhone advanced as compared to a basic phone when it doesn't have an fm chip, sd slot, file manager and a removable battery? Kindly enlighten me. I don't see any viable alternate form of tech implemented in the iPhone for these basic features.

And yes,I do want fm in my phone, as do half the people in the world. Your country is not the whole world,ya know. 99% of people in developing countries listen to fm as their primary source of news, for free. You have to pay to listen to fm on an iPhone. How is that "advanced technology" than a basic phone? I would advise you to read what you post, and most importantly, see and understand the logic behind it. You just shot yourself in the foot by posting that Wikipedia article lol

By Wikipedia's definition of a smartphone, the iPhone is indeed one. It offers more computing power and more connectivity options than a basic feature phone.

Certain things are dropped based on how popular they are, and based on what the company believes is right for the consumers.

I have yet to hear of a feature phone with a file manager, hell Windows Phone got it just recently. You'll have to realise that file managers aren't as important to people, as *YOU* think they are.

But there is a solution, if you really really need a file manager you can:

A) Jailbreak(not possible yet).
B) move to Android(most iOS users disagree)
C) Move to Windows Phone and lose maybe a few hundreds of thousands of quality apps.

If a file manager was a big of a thing as you make it out to be, no one would be buying an iPhone.

Moving onto a removable battery and SD slot and radio, there are Windows Phones out there that have none of these, or lack one thing or the other and I don't see you complaining about them in the least. Nor do I seem them as any less of a "smartphone" for not having one of these features.

Moving on your next so called "statistics" where did you get to know that half the people in the world need FM?

As far as developing countries go, where did you read that 99% of the people listen to FM? Also what is the percentage of people in developing countries that own an iPhone? How many of them complain about not having an FM Radio?

Seriously your data plan can be unlimited, like the ones in my country, those that afford a $800+ smartphone usually have unlimited 2G or 3G on their smartphones, if they truly needed FM they can stream it. So there are viable solutions out there.

Going back to OP's topic, Nokia/Microsoft makes great smartphones but they are mostly bottlenecked by Windows Phone which still isn't as mature as iOS or Android, this is what I believe I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12