I have had iPhones before, several android flagships and bow have a 928. I love the quality of apps in IOS, I use many apps on my gf's iPad that I cannot get anywhere else (beatmaker 2 for example). I also love touch id and that slow mo functionality is exactly what I need for the type of YouTube videos I make since my phone is only camera.

I love androids openness but the UI looks like crap imo, I hate the lag I get (however seldom it is), and hate how updates are handled.

Now I think Windows phone has the most gorgeous UI ever and the live tiles are great. Cortana trumps Siri buy miles and is even better than Google now. Also the keyboard is the best moble keyboard I have ever used. However, the app gap is clearly there (even though WP is catching up every day) but even more than that, the apps they do have are own of **** poor quality (eg: Spotify until recently, kik, etc...)

Now I'm not locked into any "ecosystem" (I've spent money on the app store, google okay, and the WP store) so I'm still able to easily switch platforms. I'm not in a ny position to need any specific apps from any platform either (like specific business apps, or fitness apps) but there are apps id like to have that I can't get on WP. however those apps aren't necessarily a deal breaker. Oh and the cameras on Lumia devices blow me away (I do miss how fast the iPhone can take a photo though and still have it come out amazing.)

Why am I writing this post? Because with the recent announcement of the new Moto x and iPhone 6 (the 6 plus is a boat and I have super small fingers lol) can anyone give me any compelling reasons to stick with WP over iOS or android? Oh and I don't have my own computer or a tablet if that helps you guide me haha.

Thank in advance.
    09-11-2014 11:51 PM
    You shouldn't. Move along.
    gwinegarden likes this.
    09-11-2014 11:53 PM
    I think you should at least wait til' we see Windows 9 and WP9 before you consider moving to another platform. I want to see if they do any deeper integration.
    09-12-2014 12:08 AM
    Go ahead and order something different. Play with it and enjoy it. If you really don't like it in a few months, you can always come back!
    loleilord and snowmutt like this.
    09-12-2014 01:06 AM
    IMO, its the best thing going for phones. Android is simply a mucking fess. Every time I try an andrpid product I come away irritated. I own an IPad Air and love it but I refuse to get roped into contracts and buying iphones off contract costs an arm, leg, and a spine. WP is the "gem" in this group.
    09-12-2014 06:34 AM
    Maybe for windows 9. I think they will probably soon release a killer phone like the surface 3. They become very good at making hardware now. Generally speaking these are the reason I like my WP better than my Android / iPhone when I had them.

1. The quality of the Lumia camera (I have a Lumia 1020 and there is no way I downgrade that camera for a newer phone with a 8MP camera).
    Camera is hardware and cannot be replaced with an updates. Since I have the lumia 1020 I don't even use my 500 compact camera anymore. Keep in mind the new iPhone 6 does not even have an optical image stabilization. It's like selling a car today without power steering.
    2. Live tiles are beautiful and make the phone alive and customised for each of us
    3. Most apps on WP don't have ads
    4. Most apps on WP have the same layout / look and feel
    5. No troubleshooting needed for the WP OS to run properly. Out of my 350 apps I don't have a single app to optimize the OS. On android, maybe 10% of my apps were installed for that purpose
    6. More open than Apple on standard such as Miracast / Bluetooth to share your phone content with your TV, wireless speakers without the need for specific devices.
    7. Have a mobile phone different than 90% of the people is also nice
    teckris likes this.
    09-13-2014 04:22 AM
    I'm growing weary of these "make me stay with Windows Phone" type of posts. If you're not happy, go already. Try something else and hopefully you'll be happier with whatever you choose. Good luck.
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    09-13-2014 05:48 AM
    You shouldn't. Move along.
    I'm growing weary of these "make me stay with Windows Phone" type of posts. If you're not happy, go already. Try something else and hopefully you'll be happier with whatever you choose. Good luck.
    Maybe the first post is a bit brusque... The second is closer to the mark...

If you have to ask a bunch of strangers on a forum which mobile OS you should be with or why you should stay with the one you have, then you have already made up your mind and are looking for justifications.

In the end you will do as you please despite what anyone here writes. No one here is in a position to enforce any OS choice upon you.

I fail to see the point of these threads either.

I've tried PalmOS, Windows Mobile, feature phones galore, Android, webOS, Symbian, iOS, Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish OS... and of course, Windows Phone... Not ONCE have I asked anyone about what to choose, nor cared one whit what anyone thought about my choice. I like what I like and I choose what I choose. How else?

Be your own person. That is all.
    09-13-2014 10:39 AM
    None at all...its totally your choice. Play around with everything & settle for whichever feels best to you.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-13-2014 10:48 AM
    Maybe the first post is a bit brusque... The second is closer to the mark...

If you have to ask a bunch of strangers on a forum which mobile OS you should be with or why you should stay with the one you have, then you have already made up your mind and are looking for justifications.

In the end you will do as you please despite what anyone here writes. No one here is in a position to enforce any OS choice upon you.

I fail to see the point of these threads either.

I've tried PalmOS, Windows Mobile, feature phones galore, Android, webOS, Symbian, iOS, Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish OS... and of course, Windows Phone... Not ONCE have I asked anyone about what to choose, nor cared one whit what anyone thought about my choice. I like what I like and I choose what I choose. How else?

Be your own person. That is all.
    Because I'm getting a new phone soon, and am not tied into any mobile OS and want real life user reactions as to why they think WP is better/why someone like me should stay with it (why I gave my specific use case), seeing as I have pros and cons for each platform that means I'm not being my own person? Usually when I have a phone it's for 2 years so sorry that I'm trying to make a good decision. Sue me that I'm trying to hear others opinions on WP that I may not of thought of that may sway my decision in one way or another.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-13-2014 07:13 PM
    It seems simple to me. Just go with the one that best suits your needs right now. What is it you want?
    In my opinion, iOS is too strict, and extremely shallow and simple to use. I just don't enjoy using it. Although it looks nicer than Android, it doesn't even compare aesthetically to Windows Phones.
    Android will provide the largest amount of options. Right now you have the LG G3 with intuitive and unique button controls and a great screen(although it's not really needed.) The Samsung Galaxy S5 with a great screen, powerful hardware and arguably the best Android camera. Or the HTC One M8 which is also a Windows Phone. And a large variety of budget-although budget Android phones tend to be utter crap, except maybe excluding the Moto G/G2-mid-range and flagship devices.
    But Windows Phones is the slickest, the most beautiful, revolved around the user, and I love Nokia designs. And the HTC One M8 is a breathtakingly beautiful phone. The App gap is there, but like you said it's not really a big deal. So what's the issue? Additionally, you're going to get a great camera if you get a flagship Nokia device.

Bottom line, I think you should wait out for Windows Phone 9, take it for a spin, and then make your verdict. If you're still doubting...try iOS and Android. Can't hurt.
    anon5999636 likes this.
    09-13-2014 08:29 PM
    You have to feel comfortable in your own skin. Don't be forced by peer pressure into any phone or ecosystem. Do what feels right for you. Every few months or so iPhone/Windows/Android will announce new improvements/OS. Enjoy your path, which ever you take..
    09-13-2014 08:42 PM
    I also love the WP UI and the live tiles and everything... But I also think that some apps are far behind iOS and Android and some others are missing. I wish I could have all the apps I want working well on WP :/
    09-13-2014 09:02 PM
    As far as app gap is concerned, check out this link.
    http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...-app-gap-india
    I am from India, & I can also understand that this is not the case with every country, just hope that this app gap is filled soon
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-13-2014 10:24 PM
    Use what ever you like as everyone usage habits varies, jumping platforms is not like changing houses every other month. It is easy and pretty simple to do, however if you have already heavily invested into a ecosystem for example bought mac, apple tv, time machine just so everything "works" it is not as painless but still relatively simple.

Like RumouredNow said,

Given that you already like the quality of apps on ios and use your Gf's ipad, I would say your mind is already made up .

Sue me that I'm trying to hear others opinions on WP that I may not of thought of that may sway my decision in one way or another.
    Well you may be swayed but a) will it do what you need it to do b) will you be happy with the your choice?

At the end of the day you are using the device & have to live with that choice not the kind & helpful people in this forum .

Also to get the most of Windows Phone, you have to use Rooms however for that to be a seamless experience the people invited to that need to have windows phones. It offers a one stop shop for calendar sync, notes sync, photo & video sync and messages for all participants.
    09-13-2014 10:34 PM
    JobSteves, you did provide some specific examples and hinted at your priorities...

1. The apps that are on your gf's iPAD... are they available for iPhone? Would you enjoy using those apps on a smaller screen?

2. SloMo. If you want to do extreme videography, you might consider alternative solutions. If you like the phone you have, there is nothing other than the carrier's assumption that you'll want to replace it ASAP that requires you to do so. If you buy phones on contract, paying the minimum up front, you're still going to shell out $200-500 for the down payment on a flagship phone of any stripe. Perhaps you should invest that money in a GoPro Hero3. They price out at $200-400 and are more rugged than any iPhone or WP.

By not making a kick-*** video experience your #1 phone-buying priority, you can choose a phone that you'll enjoy using all day, every day.

You mentioned that you keep a phone for 2 years. Most of us do that (at least in countries where it's easier to buy on contract). Would you shell out several hundred for a computer, then replace it in 2 years? The higher the initial price, the greater the remorse when something better is introduced 6 months down the road.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-14-2014 12:04 AM
    After having the wordflow keyboard for even a day, there is no way I'll go back to a non-swipeable keyboard. That rules out iPhone. And I have no familiarity with Android and don't feel like learning a new OS, so I'm not going to do that either. So I'm going to keep my Lumia 920 at least until I see what the Apple Watch is really like. If Apple Watch can do 3 things I might switch to iPhone: 1. Dictate text messages really well (so I won't miss the wordflow keyboard). 2. Show me updates as conveniently as it's supposed to (so I won't miss live tiles). 2. Wear and operate comfortably on my right wrist (because I wear very nice watches on my left wrist and I'm not giving them up).
    That's a pretty tall order, so chances are I'll stick with Windows phone. Whether you should stick with it depends on what you feel is a necessary from your phone.
    09-14-2014 11:44 PM
    From what I can tell, it is all about the apps for you. It seems to me you like everything else about WP. Problem is that even as WP improves it's app situation, it will be behind iOS and Android forever. Those two just have too great of a lead. No way WP, sitting at 300,000 apps, catches up to the two that each have over a million and are where almost all app developers start with prior to doing anything for WP, BB10, or other OS's. That doesn't mean WP won't hit 500,000 and improve greatly, just that it will always be easy to find apps on the big 2 which aren't on WP.

WP is a smooth running, well supported, easy to afford OS. You know it's strengths. Is it enough to overcome the "app envy" in your everyday use? That is the question you have to answer. Take your time. Live with leaving in your mind for a week or so, go and play with iPhones for a few weeks, see if you are unhappy with the thought of leaving WP. It will be easy to make a decision based on if you feel excited about a new iPhone or if you are uneasy about leaving WP.
    09-15-2014 02:07 AM