Anyone upgrading to note 4 from the 1520. If so, why?

canonuevo

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm really craving for new hardware and was debating on getting the note until the successor of the 1520 comes or another high end wp.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I'm really craving for new hardware and was debating on getting the note until the successor of the 1520 comes or another high end wp.

The 1520 just launched last year so it might be while before the successor comes out. Maybe a variant will, but it wont deviate too much from the current like the 1525. That Note Edge looks pretty amazing though but I wonder how it will hold up with regular use.

Clive Rennie

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I too crave new hardware love my 1520 would like to see something new thinner like the 1520 so I was hoping for new hardware this holiday season like the note 4 ihpone 6plus experia z3

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm contemplating switching back to an iPhone actually. Not a fan of the Android OS and I admittedly am smitten with the Apple watch. I'd get a 6 Plus of course because I'm quite accustomed to a large screen now.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
its a gimmick,frankly its not worth it
all it does is make the screen easier to crack and tougher to get cases for
comeon dude, this comment just has bitterness written all over it, if it was a windows phone you'd be praising like mad. imagine wp8.1 on it but on the curve you have notification icons from each app that gives you notification

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

Frankly the Note 4 would definitely be the better buy. Primarily because it will have a better screen, better processor, better battery and performance.

The camera will be significantly faster, while the video recording capabilities would stretch from 120 FPS slow-mo, 60 FPS 1080p to the 4K.

Since OpenGL on Android has better support and the Note 4 has the all new Adreno 420 GPU, expect much better graphics in games if you are into that kind of stuff.

Plus the S-Pen, multi window, 4GB of RAM, etc.

The only reason not to buy the Note 4 would possibly be because TouchWiz that comes with Samsung devices has a history of slowing down after being filled with apps and other content.

Hopefully the latest TouchWiz version and the upcoming Android L update with the beefy Snapdragon 805 will make the Note 4 the true "lagless" Samsung device.

The only reason I would see for someone to buy a Lumia 1520:

1) You want a slightly bigger screen.
2) Megapixels are everything for you.
3) You Like Microsoft/Nokia and their services and want to support the underdog in the mobile industry.

switched years ago from note 2 to a Bold 9790 and then a 720
never looked back ever since
battery life etc was pathetic on my note 2

All your comments about Android devices are negative. Either because you've always gotten a defective model or you've never bought any of the devices at all.

Historically the Note series have been known for exceptional batteries.

Proof? Here it is:

1410640686369.jpg
1410640704275.jpg

its a gimmick,frankly its not worth it
all it does is make the screen easier to crack and tougher to get cases for

Not a gimmick, completely. It's known as innovation. While it's not on my must have list, many people like the new concept and the services that come with it.

It won't be tougher to get cases for it, covers for Samsung devices are pretty much available everywhere.

Kez0

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

When you say "new hardware" yo refer to a new phone or new chipsets (new qualcomm chipsets)?

New Qualcomm chipsets by now don't represent a new era on hw, is basically, an upgrade of the recent hw, don't expect a great improvement on actual generation of its products.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Not going to the Note 4 from 1520.

Why: I enjoy the WP community over Google. I don't like how evil Google has become. I enjoy my privacy. I enjoy PureView 20 MP > 16 MP any day. I want to avoid malware. Waiting for 1520 successor. And I am pretty high up on game Greed City, and I don't want to lose that.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Why: I enjoy the WP community over Google. I don't like how evil Google has become. I enjoy my privacy. I enjoy PureView 20 MP > 16 MP any day. I want to avoid malware. Waiting for 1520 successor. And I am pretty high up on game Greed City, and I don't want to lose that.

Yes, but that 20MP PureView camera is slow, has no HDR mode, horrible Panorama mode, etc. It's a fantastic camera, don't get me wrong, but you can't but a cameras quality down to MP alone. The Note 4 has a great camera.

Also, the screen isn't better on the Note 4. It may be better on paper but QHD really doesn't provide any noticeable increase in sharpness and only drains battery. The 1520 still has a better battery. Also, although Super AMOLED provides deeper blacks and contrast and Samsung has spent a long time perfecting their technology the IPS LCD screen on the 1520 is amazing and compares to AMOLED with blacks and contrast and has better viewing angles and more accurate colors. Also, easier to see in sunlight with ClearBlack technology(which is typically a reliable seal of quality)
And the S Pen is very useful and absolutely amazing on the Note 4 and blows away any capacitive stylus you can get with the 1520, but the 1520 has amazing screen sensitivity and responsiveness, and I honestly think having a better screen overrides having a stylus you might use every now and then.
Hardware is better, yes...but by how much? Windows typically runs better on less than Android and as of now there isn't any noticeable improvement between 2GB and 3GB of RAM. Also Samsung is known for having bloatware in plenty on their devices, and although they're doing better you may still see some slight lag in the Note 4. And a lot of that processing power has to be going towards that QHD screen...
So...in my opinion...1520 is still better just because it's Windows Phone. If you prefer Android though the Note 4 is still a great device.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Me! I love the 1520, but can't work with it. Need more apps and more functions that WP doesn't have.
I own a Galaxy Note and it's been by far the best device i have EVER owned to work with but built with terrible materials. Note 4, for me, still has a very ugly/boring form factor (i don't like Samsung design), but more metal and an improved version of the Note ecosystem that makes it quick in things like multitasking, split screen, cut/paste elements from webpages and sending/sharing them with third parties app, linguistic tools (some pretty sophisticated) etc. All things WP simply is missing. I will not buy EDGE because that side display is essentially useless and steals display space i can use to read things rather than have useless notifications that i already have on top. I'll keep both anyways and if Threshold becomes a game changer may reconsider. However the app gap for me is too big. I am missing at least 8 or 10 apps that are critical + 1 language input that i use daily for work.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Me! I love the 1520, but can't work with it. Need more apps and more functions that WP doesn't have.
I own a Galaxy Note and it's been by far the best device i have EVER owned to work with but built with terrible materials. Note 4, for me, still has a very ugly/boring form factor (i don't like Samsung design), but more metal and an improved version of the Note ecosystem that makes it quick in things like multitasking, split screen, cut/paste elements from webpages and sending/sharing them with third parties app, linguistic tools (some pretty sophisticated) etc. All things WP simply is missing. I will not buy EDGE because that side display is essentially useless and steals display space i can use to read things rather than have useless notifications that i already have on top. I'll keep both anyways and if Threshold becomes a game changer may reconsider. However the app gap for me is too big. I am missing at least 8 or 10 apps that are critical + 1 language input that i use daily for work.
I know exactly what you're talking about...but you're right to wait for Windows Phone 9. If 8.1 is anything to go off of 9 will be absolutely massive and critical in bringing Windows Phones closer to the competition. I have a feeling that the 1520 may be getting some special features to go with it's large screen, if not the hopeful successor I want.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but that 20MP PureView camera is slow, has no HDR mode, horrible Panorama mode, etc. It's a fantastic camera, don't get me wrong, but you can't but a cameras quality down to MP alone. The Note 4 has a great camera.

Ta-dah!!!

• Lumia Camera – Replacing Nokia Camera, Lumia Camera is faster and more intuitive than before to make the best camera experience, even better.
  • Speed – Pocket to capture speeds are superfast, and it only takes milliseconds going from shot to shot.
  • Moment Capture – A long press of the camera button starts 4K-quality video recording at 24 FPS. With each frame at 8.3 megapixels, you can save individual frames as high quality still images.
  • Rich Capture – Auto HDR and Dynamic Flash are now welcomed into the already-impressive feature set. Shoot first and adjust the camera settings later for that perfect photo.
  • Improved image processing algorithms – Updated to give you clearer photos, even in lowlight.

Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Conversations

I think you need to read more news.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
When you say "new hardware" yo refer to a new phone or new chipsets (new qualcomm chipsets)?

New Qualcomm chipsets by now don't represent a new era on hw, is basically, an upgrade of the recent hw, don't expect a great improvement on actual generation of its products.

Actually the difference between Snapdragon 800 on a 1080p display and Snapfragon 805 on a 2K display isn't very massive, however the graphics department and power consumption will be improved quite a bit.

The Google community is pretty nice, you can't believe the amount of times I've bricked my devices and the awesome community has helped.

Google isn't evil, or at least not any more evil than Microsoft. All companies collect the same amount of data and have rights to do pretty much anything they want with it.

If your main concern is privacy as a consumer you should try to stay miles away from any device with an internet connection.

Megapixels aren't everything when it comes to photography, plus if you take photos at 16:9 the Note 4 and 1520 are pretty much on par with each other because both will have resolution at 16 MP.

Malware is highly exaggerated, Android is safe.

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Gonna slide this thread to the "Phone wars" catagory, as that seems to be a better place for it.

The L1520 still sings with WP on it, and I would venture most people have had it less then a year. I see no reason to move, unless like a few posters have said you miss Android. Then I get it. Otherwise, this is a non-starter. The L1520 is STILL, in my humble opinion, the best overall WP out when you add in support, WP 8.1 upgrade, hardware, and options.

That 6" screen wasn't for me, but I love the device and what it means. Just shows what a Hero devce running WP can look like.

Wouldn't be offended if Samsung released an ATIV series WP 8.1 on that Note 4 Hardware. Just thinking out loud....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)