Anyone upgrading to note 4 from the 1520. If so, why?

Charles-09

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
high specs of note4 with os version 4.4.4 is outdated with that kind of specs. If the specs applied in lumia 1520 there's nothing you can say....

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
What killed the note 4 is that Samsung went back to usb 2.0. That is probably the only gripe that I had with my 1520 was that it did not have a usb 3.0 port. I transfer lots of stuff between my phone and computer, and having a usb 3.0 port is very important. I really want to see a successor to the 1520 this year with a snapdragon 805 and usb 3.0. One can dream, but the note 4 with the metal build is quite enticing I must say. If I could get android L, I would be very happy and I have an upgrade coming this November also.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
comeon dude, this comment just has bitterness written all over it, if it was a windows phone you'd be praising like mad. imagine wp8.1 on it but on the curve you have notification icons from each app that gives you notification

no really the concept is great ,application is wrong,it might have been better on a tablet or a laptop
on a phone,its pointless on the whole,its a nice feature but lets face it ,phone screens are fragile
im sorry my comment came across as bitter to you,but what i meant to say is,its a inconvenience at times
Lumia 720's display is a slightly bulging curved edge one
like this-
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/nokia_lumia_720_review_9-580x350.jpg
and ive already broken my display once because the screen edges are fragile

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Frankly the Note 4 would definitely be the better buy. Primarily because it will have a better screen, better processor, better battery and performance.

The camera will be significantly faster, while the video recording capabilities would stretch from 120 FPS slow-mo, 60 FPS 1080p to the 4K.

Since OpenGL on Android has better support and the Note 4 has the all new Adreno 420 GPU, expect much better graphics in games if you are into that kind of stuff.

Plus the S-Pen, multi window, 4GB of RAM, etc.

The only reason not to buy the Note 4 would possibly be because TouchWiz that comes with Samsung devices has a history of slowing down after being filled with apps and other content.

Hopefully the latest TouchWiz version and the upcoming Android L update with the beefy Snapdragon 805 will make the Note 4 the true "lagless" Samsung device.

The only reason I would see for someone to buy a Lumia 1520:

1) You want a slightly bigger screen.
2) Megapixels are everything for you.
3) You Like Microsoft/Nokia and their services and want to support the underdog in the mobile industry.

All your comments about Android devices are negative. Either because you've always gotten a defective model or you've never bought any of the devices at all.

Historically the Note series have been known for exceptional batteries.

Proof? Here it is:

View attachment 80857
View attachment 80858

Not a gimmick, completely. It's known as innovation. While it's not on my must have list, many people like the new concept and the services that come with it.

It won't be tougher to get cases for it, covers for Samsung devices are pretty much available everywhere.

^total bs im sorry to say
when i had a note 2,the battery barely lasted half a day,i even got a spare battery etc no change
android is a resource hog and you must face it
all your comments are biased and against non-android stuff im sorry to say
i do give even ios credit where due so no im not biased,im experienced
as for the curved display,you do realize the design may hinder proper cases for it

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
^total bs im sorry to say
when i had a note 2,the battery barely lasted half a day,i even got a spare battery etc no change
android is a resource hog and you must face it
all your comments are biased and against non-android stuff im sorry to say
i do give even ios credit where due so no im not biased,im experienced
as for the curved display,you do realize the design may hinder proper cases for it

Android is a resource hog? Debatable.

The Note series has a bad battery life? Nope.

1410686896361.jpg
1410686908072.jpg
1410686918103.jpg

Which brings me back to my first point, you've gone from thread to thread claiming to have owned pretty much all Android devices that have ever existed(figure of speech).

You point out issues with Android devices that nor other users of the device nor experts point out.

You've either:

a) Always gotten defective models of Android devices.
b) You've never owned any.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Not me.

The future is bright for the Lumia 1520 with the WP9 (or whatever it's called) Dev Preview coming out early next year.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No it's not "debatable". That is a common complaint with Android phones - they become sluggish. Many, many users has said as much.

Depends on the phone. TouchWiz devices have a history of getting slower, but not all devices do this.

Those that have owned a Nexus 4 nearly 2 years now don't report lag, I've owned a Nexus 5 for a month or two now. Even when the storage was filled, it didn't lag.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Frankly the Note 4 would definitely be the better buy. Primarily because it will have a better screen, better processor, better battery and performance.

The camera will be significantly faster, while the video recording capabilities would stretch from 120 FPS slow-mo, 60 FPS 1080p to the 4K.

Since OpenGL on Android has better support and the Note 4 has the all new Adreno 420 GPU, expect much better graphics in games if you are into that kind of stuff.

Plus the S-Pen, multi window, 4GB of RAM, etc.

The only reason not to buy the Note 4 would possibly be because TouchWiz that comes with Samsung devices has a history of slowing down after being filled with apps and other content.

Hopefully the latest TouchWiz version and the upcoming Android L update with the beefy Snapdragon 805 will make the Note 4 the true "lagless" Samsung device.

The only reason I would see for someone to buy a Lumia 1520:

1) You want a slightly bigger screen.
2) Megapixels are everything for you.
3) You Like Microsoft/Nokia and their services and want to support the underdog in the mobile industry.

All your comments about Android devices are negative. Either because you've always gotten a defective model or you've never bought any of the devices at all.

Historically the Note series have been known for exceptional batteries.

Proof? Here it is:

View attachment 80857
View attachment 80858

Not a gimmick, completely. It's known as innovation. While it's not on my must have list, many people like the new concept and the services that come with it.

It won't be tougher to get cases for it, covers for Samsung devices are pretty much available everywhere.

Hi Salman,

You know i have a Note II and the battery has been great only for the first week. I can't say it's bad. However it's not good either. Past a few months it never got me to end of day and had to reload like 4pm to get me to end of day. It's true i am a power user with display always on. But 1520 gets me to at least 10pm even using it in the same way. I blame the unpolished OS (till L comes out), i blame too many stuff ongoing under the hood and eating data and keeping the CPU busy (call it the advertising, info gathering platform, localization services etc.) Android is a very "busy" OS under the hood.
I'll buy a 4 but i already know past a few weeks, one month, i'll have the same issues. What Note does well is making you work in a very efficient, quick way (for a smartphone of course) without stress and anger (unlike WP).
My device WAS NOT defective. I suspect some users really use the phone so intensively that their experience is affected + battery quality of Samsung VS Nokia for me goes to Nokia. My 1520 hasn't lost that much resilience over these months. Samsung at this stage was already requesting two battery changes a day or a recharge as i mentioned.

No anger towards any OS.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I know exactly what you're talking about...but you're right to wait for Windows Phone 9. If 8.1 is anything to go off of 9 will be absolutely massive and critical in bringing Windows Phones closer to the competition. I have a feeling that the 1520 may be getting some special features to go with it's large screen, if not the hopeful successor I want.

I am actually pretty happy about what i saw on Windows 9 for desktop. It looks really like a good mix of what it should have been since day one. You have a start menu and if you need to give some apps more visibility then you add tiles INSIDE the start menu, not in that meh modern screen you couldn't even have more than two apps open at the same time (designed for tablets, thrown on desktop PCs). Now they have multiple desktops with real multitasking (based on what i have seen) and that for me is a real game changer for the way i use the PC. That thing on a big screen will save me hours of work.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Salman,

You know i have a Note II and the battery has been great only for the first week. I can't say it's bad. However it's not good either. Past a few months it never got me to end of day and had to reload like 4pm to get me to end of day. It's true i am a power user with display always on. But 1520 gets me to at least 10pm even using it in the same way. I blame the unpolished OS (till L comes out), i blame too many stuff ongoing under the hood and eating data and keeping the CPU busy (call it the advertising, info gathering platform, localization services etc.) Android is a very "busy" OS under the hood.
I'll buy a 4 but i already know past a few weeks, one month, i'll have the same issues. What Note does well is making you work in a very efficient, quick way (for a smartphone of course) without stress and anger (unlike WP).
My device WAS NOT defective. I suspect some users really use the phone so intensively that their experience is affected + battery quality of Samsung VS Nokia for me goes to Nokia. My 1520 hasn't lost that much resilience over these months. Samsung at this stage was already requesting two battery changes a day or a recharge as i mentioned.

No anger towards any OS.

The thing is, the Note 2 is quite old. It uses an outdated version of Android and doesn't take advantage of all the newer memory, performance and battery improvements.

The battery life has been improved since the Note 2, the Note 3 and I'm pretty sure the Note 4 will last way longer.

I don't know about you but one of my friend's has had a Note 2 for over an year now, battery life hasn't concerned him in the least.

It varies from person to person, but it isn't fair to base your decision of buying a new device based on something you bought years ago.

I could say that since Windows Mobile was terrible, Windows Phone will be the same. Or I could say that the iPhone 3GS had a camera so iPhone 6 will also have a terrible camera.

Note 4 is the better buy according to me, you could have your own opinion on this issue but I can presented mine.

Lumia 1520 is still a stellar device however, I really do love Nokia and Windows Phone but I'm only being fair.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Salman,

No anger towards any OS.

@salman see im not alone
even i had a note 2 and switched to 720 and i see a major difference
so pls watch your words before accusing me like that

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The thing is, the Note 2 is quite old. It uses an outdated version of Android and doesn't take advantage of all the newer memory, performance and battery improvements.

The battery life has been improved since the Note 2, the Note 3 and I'm pretty sure the Note 4 will last way longer.

I don't know about you but one of my friend's has had a Note 2 for over an year now, battery life hasn't concerned him in the least.

It varies from person to person, but it isn't fair to base your decision of buying a new device based on something you bought years ago.

I could say that since Windows Mobile was terrible, Windows Phone will be the same. Or I could say that the iPhone 3GS had a camera so iPhone 6 will also have a terrible camera.

Note 4 is the better buy according to me, you could have your own opinion on this issue but I can presented mine.

Lumia 1520 is still a stellar device however, I really do love Nokia and Windows Phone but I'm only being fair.

you said the note 2 is quite old, well so is the lumia 720 and the 820,still i see better battery life on my lumias and my other phones
if we go by that "outdated" arguement, a nokia 1100 should have a terrible battery life,i dont think android 4.2 is soo outdated that its battery life should be soo far apart from android 4.4.2 or even android L

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Android is a resource hog? Debatable.

The Note series has a bad battery life? Nope.

View attachment 80902
View attachment 80903
View attachment 80904

Which brings me back to my first point, you've gone from thread to thread claiming to have owned pretty much all Android devices that have ever existed(figure of speech).

You point out issues with Android devices that nor other users of the device nor experts point out.

You've either:

a) Always gotten defective models of Android devices.
b) You've never owned any.

im sorry but this entire post of yours is utter nonsense
i have owned soo many phones even android ,i dont think you were even old enough during the symbian era going by your posts,because you dont recognise even symbian features when you see one and act as though everyone hates android for no reason
im sorry but this post is not true at all, there are times when you have geniune arguements and i have even agreed with you but this time,you are trying to fight a lost battle
such accusations are not healthy and are rather rude

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've heard good points...and I've heard quite bad ones. Here's my quick opinion: The Note 4 has a QHD screen and the same/almost same battery as the Note 3. Does that tell you anything?
Just real quick look at how much LG had to work the make the G3 even remotely acceptable with battery life and that's running a smaller screen and less powerful hardware. Additionally the G3 is running the same version of Android. Battery life is still...acceptable but not great.
The Note 4 is running a larger screen, bigger processor, etc. Additionally...it is Android. You only have to look at the HTC One M8 to realize Windows Phones have massively better battery stamina.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

- Android 4.3 is not that old, come on. I am trying to root it and put 4.4 KitKat on it. Strangely, it won't root for a variety of reasons. All my other devices rooted in a snap.
- I agree that battery usage and level of satisfaction is based on how you use the phone. However battery was always just ok for my usage pattern.
- I believe Android L will be better at this department. I have reports that Note 3 was already a tad better (still not so much).

However, it's not just a matter of battery quality. Android has too much going on behind the scene. That sucks energy. WP has limits in that as you know. Android phones are never isolated from outside. There is a constant data flow (which you don't see because you don't pay for that) going back and forth from the device.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
you said the note 2 is quite old, well so is the lumia 720 and the 820,still i see better battery life on my lumias and my other phones
if we go by that "outdated" arguement, a nokia 1100 should have a terrible battery life,i dont think android 4.2 is soo outdated that its battery life should be soo far apart from android 4.4.2 or even android L

My Galaxy Note is running 4.3. Was last updated last May i think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99