So, What Happens Now?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Let me start by saying that I'm actually a huge Apple fan from both a mobile software and device standpoint. There are 4 iPhones and 4 iPad in my house and from a mobile/tablet standpoint, we were exclusively Apple but stuck to MS for computer and Xbox gaming.

I broke away 10 months ago when I saw the 1520 while in the AT&T store buying a case for the latest iPhone 5C purchased for my son. A quick day of research to make sure I could get the basic apps I needed to "live," I went right in and figured out a way to get it. 7 months later, I gave my iPad to my father-in-law and picked up an SP3 as my main tablet/laptop.

So, the basic question is, how do you feel about what will surely be the apparent "love" of the 5.5" form factor of the iPhone 6+? Again, I would usually joke about it with co-workers or customers questioning the size of my phone for the past 10 months or making fun of it, and my response (in jest of course) was, "just wait until Apple comes out with something that big and you will all think it's the greatest thing in the world."

Will that happen? Will you care? Now that you, if like me, are so used to the larger format device, are you thinking about heading to or back to Apple? I know that the introduction of the Apple Watch next year has me considering it as I love the integration of the two. When is the Microsoft watch we first heard about months ago coming out?

Sorry... my head is spinning on a Sunday morning...:winktongue:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I believe the preliminary proof is in, witness pre-orders of iPhone6+ and the extended ship time on that device.

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm giving it a lot of time for the mobile landscape to change based on the features that are coming in the new iPhone. I have an LG G2 running the G3 software, a 1520, and a Retina iPad Mini. So anything that comes along at this point will have to be really worth my time. I'm most interested in Apple Pay right now. Since my G2.3 has Google Wallet and Apple is using host card emulation like Android, it should open up that service more to anyone with that feature in their phones. If it gets locked down to Apple phones only and enough places I go to implement it, I would probably pick up the iPhone 6. There's enough tie-in with my iPad to make it a reasonable buy, but until then, I'm perfectly fine with what I have.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I too am a Lumia 1520 user growing interested in the iPhone 6 Plus. I will wait as long as I can and see if the urge to get one lessens.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Concur that the iPhone 6 Plus is attractive.

However, fiscal prudence trumps emotional attraction and demands I use my four month old 1520.3 for at least another year. Additionally, I attempt to avoid any first generation technology (save my 920 and Surfaces RT and Pro).

My life will not change appreciably by not having an iPhone 6 Plus.

I will strongly consider next year's version of iPhone 6 Plus.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the Phone Wars forum, since the topic is mainly a comparison between the Lumia 1520 and the iPhone 6+.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I see no way Apple doesn't have their best year since the iPhone4 was released, the last year they had preorders and fans camping out to get the phone. Tech sites and general news outlets are lining up to give them PR, and the 4.7" and 5.5" sizes are nice options.

Apple has been slow to respond. I truly am amazed at the brand loyalty of Apple users. They waited years for that company to actually give them what they want, but never left.

What happens now: In my humble, unimportant opinion Apple owns the mobile landscape for one more time from late September until early next year. After this, the sizes are no longer "new" (tongue firmly planted in cheek) and Apple will have to sell better services at better prices and something original to compete from here on. They will never drop off the face of the Earth unless they screw up, but they can't sit by while Google and MS continue to try new ways to do things at better prices and expect to not feel the pressure. That is what happened from the iPhone 4S through the 5S, and Apple saw a lack of enthusiasm and a complete stop in the growth of their phones and tablets. Next time, they may actually see a decrease.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't care about phablets. I have an 8" tablet for that. 4.3" phones seem about the perfect size for me. Unfortunately, it seems all future mid to high end phones are going to be a minimum of 5".

Last edited:

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, I see no way Apple doesn't have their best year since the iPhone4 was released, the last year they had preorders and fans camping out to get the phone. Tech sites and general news outlets are lining up to give them PR, and the 4.7" and 5.5" sizes are nice options.

Apple has been slow to respond. I truly am amazed at the brand loyalty of Apple users. They waited years for that company to actually give them what they want, but never left.

What happens now: In my humble, unimportant opinion Apple owns the mobile landscape for one more time from late September until early next year. After this, the sizes are no longer "new" (tongue firmly planted in cheek) and Apple will have to sell better services at better prices and something original to compete from here on. They will never drop off the face of the Earth unless they screw up, but they can't sit by while Google and MS continue to try new ways to do things at better prices and expect to not feel the pressure. That is what happened from the iPhone 4S through the 5S, and Apple saw a lack of enthusiasm and a complete stop in the growth of their phones and tablets. Next time, they may actually see a decrease.

I think the bump in size to 4.7" in the base model is going to drive more sales, and it will be the most popular. The main complaint I heard from friends with iPhones is that the screen was too narrow, and I tended to agree. I absolutely love 4.3" screens like on my Lumia 822. It's the perfect size for me, but it's getting harder to find decent mid range phones that aren't 5".

Last edited:

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I like having 32 GB on my 1520.3 and I think getting rid of the 32 GB iPhone was a bad move since it's such a popular storage quantity.

Now that I've used a 6" device too, it's hard to imagine using anything smaller on a phone haha. Same with my 17.3 inch laptop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans