11-18-2014 12:46 PM
69 123
tools
    android is the best example for this-poor optimisation and battery life
    Read my post again, it didn't have anything to do with battery life or optimisation.

The Apple A7 and A8 processors are as powerful as any high end SOC being used in any Android smartphone, or even Windows Phone.

All three OSes use pretty much equivalently powerful processing packages, what does that have to do with Android's optimisation or battery life?

I only said that people think the iPhone has specs from 2011 which is untrue. The Cyclone architecture is actually quite amazing.

There was no mention of optimisation or battery life in general.
    11-16-2014 02:00 PM
    I didn't mean to compare bro.

Just that Karthik said that his 720 performed better than his iPad 4. I was wondering how that was even possible.

Btw everyone here thinks specs are everything so I also wanted to prove them wrong.

They think that more cores = more future proof/powerful
    Well it does if you compare it to a dual core of the same/similar class ad architecture but the main differentiator is optimisation. That's why the iPhone 6 plus. Despite its dual core processor and 1gb ram beats all the other phones on real life.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-16-2014 02:15 PM
    Read my post again, it didn't have anything to do with battery life or optimisation.

The Apple A7 and A8 processors are as powerful as any high end SOC being used in any Android smartphone, or even Windows Phone.

All three OSes use pretty much equivalently powerful processing packages, what does that have to do with Android's optimisation or battery life?

I only said that people think the iPhone has specs from 2011 which is untrue. The Cyclone architecture is actually quite amazing.

There was no mention of optimisation or battery life in general.
    And due to Android's open structure, you can't really optimize. There are sooooo many different chipsets used in Android phones. That's why you see lag even With 3gb ram and a SD805. It's true for Windows phone too but not as much. But that never applies with iPhones. Optimisation > Specs *drops Mic*
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-16-2014 02:22 PM
    Lol bring that processor to Android and it will lag like help. No joke. Apple probably spend the majority of the year optimising their latest mobile chipsets. No wonder we only used to get 1 iPhone every year
    No actually if that Apple A8 made it onto an Android device, it would fly. It would also not show signs of thermal throttle so would work quite amazingly. Also Android's Java apps support 64 bit supported already.

Also the 1GB of RAM is coupled with higher cache, which lifts some burden off the RAM.

And due to Android's open structure, you can't really optimize. There are sooooo many different chipsets used in Android phones. That's why you see lag even With 3gb ram and a SD805. It's true for Windows phone too but not as much. But that never applies with iPhones. Optimisation > Specs *drops Mic*
    One of this biggest misconceptions on this earth is exactly that. With that logic Windows would be running like sh** on most PCs today.

Optimisation is possible even when there are a variety of different devices out there.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 11-16-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    11-16-2014 02:23 PM
    No actually if that Apple A8 made it onto an Android device, it would fly. It would also not show signs of thermal throttle so would work quite amazingly. Also Android's Java apps support 64 bit supported already.

Also the 1GB of RAM is coupled with higher cache, which lifts some burden off the RAM.

One of this biggest misconceptions on this earth is exactly that. With that logic Windows would be running like sh** on most PCs today.

Optimisation is possible even when there are a variety of different devices out there.
    not really

Why iPhone With 1GB RAM Performs Better Than Android Devices With 2GB Or More RAM? | Redmond Pie

need i say more
    *drops mic*

optmisation is key and android lacks it
    you want more proof,buy a BB10 and youll see what android should have been
    11-17-2014 12:09 AM
    not really

Why iPhone With 1GB RAM Performs Better Than Android Devices With 2GB Or More RAM? | Redmond Pie

need i say more
    *drops mic*

optmisation is key and android lacks it
    you want more proof,buy a BB10 and youll see what android should have been
    I've used a Z10, and it's an alright device nothing too special.

By the way about the garbage collection Android 5.0 does improve on garbage collection and I've been using the final build for quite some time now, any small stutters that you would occasionally find are gone except in some unoptimised applications.

And it's not like Apple hasn't moved to higher gigabytes of RAM, it has the iPads come with 2GB.

Also talking about the intended topic, which is Windows Phone, Windows Phone also has phones with 2GB of RAM that still show a "resuming" issue every now and then, how do you explain optimisation then?
    11-17-2014 09:22 AM
    For years WP users have been defending the OS from needing 20 cores because the system is light and does not require such heavy artillery. Now the 1520 has a quad-core CPU so we're going to do the same to Apple as has been done to us? Make up your minds fellas.
    tgp likes this.
    11-17-2014 09:59 AM
    For years WP users have been defending the OS from needing 20 cores because the system is light and does not require such heavy artillery. Now the 1520 has a quad-core CPU so we're going to do the same to Apple as has been done to us? Make up your minds fellas.
    Honestly fatclue, no OS will run best on weak hardware.

Windows Phone, Android and iOS flagships may have different types of architecture and core counts but they are on par with performance.

I would be impressed if some OS ran extremely smooth on the latest version of Android, iOS or Windows Phone with a single core processor but it's not possible.

All OSes are power hungry, but to varying degrees and depending on what they can do with all the horsepower..
    11-17-2014 10:46 AM
    windows phones were always superior in performance save some poorly optimized apps( cough XBM cough)....
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-17-2014 10:53 AM
    This post below is pure speculation.

HW is always the limiting factor in achieving greater performance (if you need it, its been shown in games 1520 can do higher framerates, since scrolling is HW rendered, 1520 has smoother scrolling that the iphone 6 plus (go to nytimes on both devices and try it yourself)).
    HW Performance and SW efficiency are two different things. Just because you have efficient SW, doesnt mean you dont need greater HW performance.

A major portion of performance is based on how optimized the operating system and applications are, and iOS wins out on this compared to both Android and Windows Phone.

While yes on paper a 1520 may have better specifications than any iPhone ever released, even the latest one the 1520 has weaker hardware because it may have more cores but Apple's own A7 and A8 are more powerful.

Lumia 1520 beats iPhone 5s in Memory benchmark test, but just misses on the overall win | Windows Central

As far as the graphics benchmark you are talking about, it's flawed IMO. The 1520 can't beat a Snapdragon 801 used on the Xperia Z1, primarily because the 801 chip came with a much more improved GPU.

Plus even if the 1520 scored higher in benchmarks, there is almost zero benefit you'll have of it, and here's why:

1) The Snapdragon 800 processors heat up way more easily, and because of the heat they can't maintain their maximum clock frequency for long.

Compare that to iPhone and it can maintain cooler performance for longer, especially on the A8 chip because of the new 28nm architecture.

2) No matter how much a Windows Phone scores higher than an iOS or Android device, better quality apps and games with more effects with always be given to Android or iOS and not Windows Phone (there could be a few exceptions).
    11-17-2014 12:05 PM
    I've used a Z10, and it's an alright device nothing too special.

By the way about the garbage collection Android 5.0 does improve on garbage collection and I've been using the final build for quite some time now, any small stutters that you would occasionally find are gone except in some unoptimised applications.

And it's not like Apple hasn't moved to higher gigabytes of RAM, it has the iPads come with 2GB.

Also talking about the intended topic, which is Windows Phone, Windows Phone also has phones with 2GB of RAM that still show a "resuming" issue every now and then, how do you explain optimisation then?
    like ive said before,i dont think you own an ipad or a Z10 or a 720 and are assuming off the internet
    BB10 is very very similiar to android L,its an excellent handset and shows what optimisation can do to a device
    its smoother than android and has better battery life
    you obviously dont seem to get that android isnt optimised properly which is why it needs higher specs to run and is a resource hog
    2gb devices have resuming screen????? my 1gb 820 doesnt have resuming screen at all,720 has it but its not slow,only 3-4 secs
    11-17-2014 12:38 PM

Windows Phone, Android and iOS flagships may have different types of architecture and core counts but they are on par with performance.

I would be impressed if some OS ran extremely smooth on the latest version of Android, iOS or Windows Phone with a single core processor but it's not possible.

All OSes are power hungry, but to varying degrees and depending on what they can do with all the horsepower..
    not really
    theres a reason android always comes in the limelight for such things and not other operating systems
    11-17-2014 12:39 PM

You misread my post. Now that there are some WP devices with quad-core CPUs, it's ok to talk smack about other devices that "only" run dual-cores. Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.
    a5cent and tgp like this.
    11-17-2014 12:58 PM
    You misread my post. Now that there are some WP devices with quad-core CPUs, it's ok to talk smack about other devices that "only" run dual-cores. Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.
    frankly windows phone may not need the extra power of quad core for most things right now but itll make it future proof for games and intensive apps etc
    it is a lighter os than android for sure
    Wam1q likes this.
    11-17-2014 01:08 PM
    exactly i moved from a shamesung note 3 to 1520 and love it
    my note 3 was a huuge mistake i fell for the gimmicky features ,but it was very slow and battery life was very bad
    my ex installed cyanogenmod on it etc but still bad
    in the end im happier with my ipad mini 2 and a 1520 than a note 3
    11-18-2014 12:24 AM
    Odd how on the Lumia 720 the app performs better than the iPad 4.

I compared low end performance between an original iPad Mini and Lumia 530, here's an image of them together:

Attachment 87883

I found that the iPad, despite having inferior hardware, beat the 530 in just about everything.

Especially the Facebook app, where if I swiped left or right it would reload the whole damn tabs but on iOS is was smooth as butter.

Windows Phone isn't nearly as smooth as everyone had me here believe.
    i dont have much technical knowledge but the Lumia 520(i sold it along with my note 3 and got a Lumia 1520 last month) was certainly faster than my ipad 1 which i sold to buy the ipad mini
    11-18-2014 12:32 AM
    windows phones were always superior in performance save some poorly optimized apps( cough XBM cough)....
    this is my only woe,xbox music needs to improve
    i heard vlc is coming soon,is it true?
    11-18-2014 12:35 AM
    Using an iPhone 6+ now and honestly I don't really see the difference in speed or have any issues with it using dual core. It performs things quite fast without that annoying resuming aspect that my 1520 is known to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tanya shah1 likes this.
    11-18-2014 03:03 AM
    Using an iPhone 6+ now and honestly I don't really see the difference in speed or have any issues with it using dual core. It performs things quite fast without that annoying resuming aspect that my 1520 is known to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i found that my 1520 had alot of resuming screens initially until i backed everything up and formatted the sd card and copied everything back along with apps etc
    now its very smooth
    11-18-2014 12:46 PM
69 123