The iPhone 6 still have dual core... 1520 still superior

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Face it. The only people that still believe these cores matter in a smart phone to run these tiny doggone programs the real world are bloggers an size hustlers. MS already proved what it could do with a single core in the Lumia 900. IPhone users won't care one wit about that and if you look outside, you'll see the lines forming already. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know, you don't want to know.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
A major portion of performance is based on how optimized the operating system and applications are, and iOS wins out on this compared to both Android and Windows Phone.

While yes on paper a 1520 may have better specifications than any iPhone ever released, even the latest one the 1520 has weaker hardware because it may have more cores but Apple's own A7 and A8 are more powerful.

http://m.windowscentral.com/benchmark-lumia-1520-and-iphone-5s-win

As far as the graphics benchmark you are talking about, it's flawed IMO. The 1520 can't beat a Snapdragon 801 used on the Xperia Z1, primarily because the 801 chip came with a much more improved GPU.

Plus even if the 1520 scored higher in benchmarks, there is almost zero benefit you'll have of it, and here's why:

1) The Snapdragon 800 processors heat up way more easily, and because of the heat they can't maintain their maximum clock frequency for long.

Compare that to iPhone and it can maintain cooler performance for longer, especially on the A8 chip because of the new 28nm architecture.

2) No matter how much a Windows Phone scores higher than an iOS or Android device, better quality apps and games with more effects with always be given to Android or iOS and not Windows Phone (there could be a few exceptions).

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Now having 3 phones with 3 different OS I can say people need to stop being spec blind ( I use to be one).
Use the dang phone and it if it works for you who cares what's under the hood.

WP has the best base UI IMOP, IOS has the best support network, and Android is a customizers dream. Having a SD card just isn't an issue anymore. Unless you buy a phone with only 32gb of memory and don't have cloud storage.

blindfromthesun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Lack of quality phones on Verizon bearing the Lumia name are forcing my thoughts towards the iPhone 6/plus. I'd love a successor to the 1520 with the snapdragon 805 processor or even the 830. With that said, I'm pretty sure I wont get what I want. Microsoft is sabotaging their own platform with their dumb release schedule of software and hardware. Windows Phone is perpetually in beta status in one way or another and it frustrates me to no end. Also its correct in saying that most games/apps won't take advantage of more advanced hardware on Windows Phone. The majority of WP8 users are budget minded people that can't or won't buy higher end hardware.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Beg to differ bout "no apps"! There are flipping loads of em, how many would you or could use in a day or week? We have stunning apps and not so stunning apps....ios & lagdroid have both good and bad. Its a ridiculous point to say there are NO apps, makes you sound silly.
Owner of L630 ,iPad and nexus

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
A major portion of performance is based on how optimized the operating system and applications are, and iOS wins out on this compared to both Android and Windows Phone.

While yes on paper a 1520 may have better specifications than any iPhone ever released, even the latest one the 1520 has weaker hardware because it may have more cores but Apple's own A7 and A8 are more powerful.

As far as the graphics benchmark you are talking about, it's flawed IMO. The 1520 can't beat a Snapdragon 801 used on the Xperia Z1, primarily because the 801 chip came with a much more improved GPU.
).
So its about optimization?
Wait no its only which has higher specs. Wait even if its faster it doesn't matter. But the iPhone chip is more "powerful"
WOW!
Youre really all over the place. We get it you're an apple fan boy and the thought of the iPhone not being superior in every way keeps you up at night.
But here's a thought. Try to figure out what you're trying to say before you type it. And if you want to argue for these contradictory positions, try using one per thread so you don't look as dum and desperate.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
So its about optimization?
Wait no its only which has higher specs. Wait even if its faster it doesn't matter. But the iPhone chip is more "powerful"
WOW!
Youre really all over the place. We get it you're an apple fan boy and the thought of the iPhone not being superior in every way keeps you up at night.
But here's a thought. Try to figure out what you're trying to say before you type it. And if you want to argue for these contradictory positions, try using one per thread so you don't look as dum and desperate.

My first point was to prove that 2GB of RAM isn't required as long as the software is optimized, moving on my other points we're to prove why the tests we're flawed and the general hardware(apart from maybe the RAM) are more powerful than any Lumia.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
My first point was to prove that 2GB of RAM isn't required as long as the software is optimized, moving on my other points we're to prove why the tests we're flawed and the general hardware(apart from maybe the RAM) are more powerful than any Lumia.
You're right 1gb ram isn't necessary on a phone just expected for a flagship especially one as pricey as the iPhone. No it is not faster that has already been shown. No flaw in test just apple with more lawyers and finances to back those lawyers and a company reviewing the phone intimidated by apple. If you love the phone fine, there's nothing wrong with that but you don't need to justify it with BS.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You're right 1gb ram isn't necessary on a phone just expected for a flagship especially one as pricey as the iPhone. No it is not faster that has already been shown. No flaw in test just apple with more lawyers and finances to back those lawyers and a company reviewing the phone intimidated by apple. If you love the phone fine, there's nothing wrong with that but you don't need to justify it with BS.

Why have people gotten their expectations so high? If 1GB of RAM works fine why do you need to add an extra gigabyte?

You should instead push software makers to improve the experience on existing low memory devices, instead of always going for more and better. Even Android started optimizing itself for lower memory devices!

No lawyers are part of this equation, in Basemark OS II the iPhone 5S scored higher for graphics than the 1520 and since the new iPhone 6's GPU is around 50% faster it's only logical that it also beats the 1520.

So clearly this benchmark is flawed, it even places the 1520 above the more powerful Xperia Z2 for gods sakes!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Why have people gotten their expectations so high? If 1GB of RAM works fine why do you need to add an extra gigabyte?!

For iPhone? To optimize the use of their marketed 64 bit feature on their chipset(since A7)... We now have 2 years of 64 running on a system with not enough ram to utilize its capabilities. That's pretty annoying.

Posted via Nexus 5 WPC App

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Why have people gotten their expectations so high? If 1GB of RAM works fine why do you need to add an extra gigabyte?

You should instead push software makers to improve the experience on existing low memory devices, instead of always going for more and better. Even Android started optimizing itself for lower memory devices!

No lawyers are part of this equation, in Basemark OS II the iPhone 5S scored higher for graphics than the 1520 and since the new iPhone 6's GPU is around 50% faster it's only logical that it also beats the 1520.

So clearly this benchmark is flawed, it even places the 1520 above the more powerful Xperia Z2 for gods sakes!
Android has been working to optimize for lower memory devices I an attempt to keep competitive with WP in the entry level phone market. They realize that WP works buttery smooth for even 512 Mb devices and for them to compete in this market they realize the experience for android on these devices has to improve.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I'll like to say that WP runs all the apps & games perfectly on 1gb ram. That's all you need. That's not the case in android. If you say that 2 Gb ram isn't required if a software is optimized then I might say then Android would be the most unstable OS . & why do all the tests become flawed if Lumia wins any benchmark test?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'll like to say that WP runs all the apps & games perfectly on 1gb ram. That's all you need. That's not the case in android. If you say that 2 Gb ram isn't required if a software is optimized then I might say then Android would be the most unstable OS . & why do all the tests become flawed if Lumia wins any benchmark test?

We'll simply put the apps and games run smoothly because there isn't much too them, there is a very small library of quality games that can actually challenge the capabilities of the processor and GPU on Windows Phone.

The reason why the test is flawed isn't because Lumia is in it, but because it runs a much older Snapdragon 800 processor that wasn't even capable of beating an iPhone 5S in previous tests conducted by WPCentral.

As far as bringing Android into this goes, it's not relevant. I'll admit that iOS is better optimized than Android, but according to many of the *RECENT* speed tests I've seen have proved that Android does a better job than Windows Phone.

But again the thread is about iPhone and 1520, not Android.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
We'll simply put the apps and games run smoothly because there isn't much too them, there is a very small library of quality games that can actually challenge the capabilities of the processor and GPU on Windows Phone.

The reason why the test is flawed isn't because Lumia is in it, but because it runs a much older Snapdragon 800 processor that wasn't even capable of beating an iPhone 5S in previous tests conducted by WPCentral.

As far as bringing Android into this goes, it's not relevant. I'll admit that iOS is better optimized than Android, but according to many of the *RECENT* speed tests I've seen have proved that Android does a better job than Windows Phone.

But again the thread is about iPhone and 1520, not Android.

Overall 1520 wasn't able to beat iPhone 5s, this is only the processor test I might add. There's a huge difference between them.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site

Asphalt 8 runs pretty bad on my L928, compared to my 5s.

ezapp

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
IMHO, these benchmark make sense only because users are lured by phone specs. Not many of them realize the power of their phone depends heavily on OS/app build quality.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Overall 1520 wasn't able to beat iPhone 5s, this is only the processor test I might add. There's a huge difference between them.

Actually it wasn't just a processor test, it also tested graphics and the 5S won.

Considering that the iPhone 6 has a 50% faster GPU it is only logical that it beats the 1520.

Plus if you we're to go in to this issue a bit more in-depth, let's just assume that a 1520 won by a small margin in all benchmarks(though in reality it hasn't), the benchmarks would be inaccurate because a 1520 can maintain it's maximum clock frequency for a few minutes, whereas an iPhone 6 according to AnandTech shows no sign of thermal throttling a after a few minutes.

Seriously it's not that hard to understand.

That's due to poor app/game development

Yes, that's another issue. What's the point of even getting millions of more points in benchmarks when in the end WP will still have the same low quality and unoptimized games.

I'm not saying all of them are unoptimized or laggy, but compare them to the iOS alternatives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb