The iPhone 6 still have dual core... 1520 still superior

anon(9174535)

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Why have people gotten their expectations so high? If 1GB of RAM works fine why do you need to add an extra gigabyte?

You should instead push software makers to improve the experience on existing low memory devices, instead of always going for more and better. Even Android started optimizing itself for lower memory devices!

No lawyers are part of this equation, in Basemark OS II the iPhone 5S scored higher for graphics than the 1520 and since the new iPhone 6's GPU is around 50% faster it's only logical that it also beats the 1520.

So clearly this benchmark is flawed, it even places the 1520 above the more powerful Xperia Z2 for gods sakes!
Listen to what you are saying 1520 icon 930 only have 2 gb for reason ....u know big compagnies have ready plans for atleast 2 years microsoft its not that stupid to roll out devices with 2 gb for nothing & the new plans like denim & background proccessing make that extra 1 gb very useful..!!btw that feature of denim its raw shooting editing like dynamic flash & etc cuz its impossible to reedit already compressed jpeg pic i read that once in photography blog

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
i agree except the real world arguement is only for certain apps
otherwise alot of stuff such as the fb app are better on my 720 than on my ipad

Odd how on the Lumia 720 the app performs better than the iPad 4.

I compared low end performance between an original iPad Mini and Lumia 530, here's an image of them together:

1416136153053.jpg

I found that the iPad, despite having inferior hardware, beat the 530 in just about everything.

Especially the Facebook app, where if I swiped left or right it would reload the whole damn tabs but on iOS is was smooth as butter.

Windows Phone isn't nearly as smooth as everyone had me here believe.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I compared low end performance between an original iPad Mini and Lumia 530, here's an image of them together:

View attachment 87883

I found that the iPad, despite having inferior hardware, beat the 530 in just about everything.

Especially the Facebook app, where if I swiped left or right it would reload the whole damn tabs but on iOS is was smooth as butter.

Be real man. You are comparing the lowest of the low of Windows phones to a high end iPad obviously the iPad is faster. Windows phone is smooth but it won't work miracles. If you used something with a sd 400 and 1gb ram, I would agree with this is too much. What did you expect to happen?

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Be real man. You are comparing the lowest of the low of Windows phones to a high end iPad obviously the iPad is faster. Windows phone is smooth but it won't work miracles. If you used something with a sd 400 and 1gb ram, I would agree with this is too much. What did you expect to happen?

I didn't mean to compare bro.

Just that Karthik said that his 720 performed better than his iPad 4. I was wondering how that was even possible.

Btw everyone here thinks specs are everything so I also wanted to prove them wrong.

They think that more cores = more future proof/powerful

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Again, misinformed people everywhere.

Apple doesn't use old specs. The dual core processor beats most phones out there and this is because their Cyclone architecture beats the big.LITTLE configuration of the quad core Snapdragon devices.

Add to that that the Apple A8 chip is manufactured on a 20nm process so it also heats up way less than Snapdragon 800, so no thermal throttling.

It's not old specs, it's actually some of the most advanced specifications out there now. But no one seems to understand that.

yeah right thats why an iphone 2G still beats 70% of android handsets with "superior specs" than the iphone 2G
lol you cant give credit where due can you, windows phone and ios have better battery life and optimisation
accept this and move on,android is not some "ohsoperfect" OS,it has its own flaws and so do WP and ios

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 87883

you obviously took me for a wp ****** and an ios hater
well guess what you can call me a WP,BB10,ios ****** and an android hater(with good reason)
the stuff you just posted proves you havent used a WP/ios device

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Just that Karthik said that his 720 performed better than his iPad 4. I was wondering how that was even possible.

Btw everyone here thinks specs are everything so I also wanted to prove them wrong.

sadly i doubt you own any non-androids otherwise you wouldnt post nonsense like this and mislead others

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
yeah right thats why an iphone 2G still beats 70% of android handsets with "superior specs" than the iphone 2G
lol you cant give credit where due can you, windows phone and ios have better battery life and optimisation
accept this and move on,android is not some "ohsoperfect" OS,it has its own flaws and so do WP and ios

In my statement, there wasn't ONE not even ONE mention of Android.

But somehow you always manage to drag in a topic that has no relevance to what is being discussed.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
also the ipad 1 was very very untrue example
ipad 1 was the worst ipad yet because it was the only slow ios product
so its most def not faster than L530

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
android is the best example for this-poor optimisation and battery life

Read my post again, it didn't have anything to do with battery life or optimisation.

The Apple A7 and A8 processors are as powerful as any high end SOC being used in any Android smartphone, or even Windows Phone.

All three OSes use pretty much equivalently powerful processing packages, what does that have to do with Android's optimisation or battery life?

I only said that people think the iPhone has specs from 2011 which is untrue. The Cyclone architecture is actually quite amazing.

There was no mention of optimisation or battery life in general.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Well it does if you compare it to a dual core of the same/similar class ad architecture but the main differentiator is optimisation. That's why the iPhone 6 plus. Despite its dual core processor and 1gb ram beats all the other phones on real life.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Read my post again, it didn't have anything to do with battery life or optimisation.

The Apple A7 and A8 processors are as powerful as any high end SOC being used in any Android smartphone, or even Windows Phone.

All three OSes use pretty much equivalently powerful processing packages, what does that have to do with Android's optimisation or battery life?

I only said that people think the iPhone has specs from 2011 which is untrue. The Cyclone architecture is actually quite amazing.

There was no mention of optimisation or battery life in general.
And due to Android's open structure, you can't really optimize. There are sooooo many different chipsets used in Android phones. That's why you see lag even With 3gb ram and a SD805. It's true for Windows phone too but not as much. But that never applies with iPhones. Optimisation > Specs *drops Mic*

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Lol bring that processor to Android and it will lag like help. No joke. Apple probably spend the majority of the year optimising their latest mobile chipsets. No wonder we only used to get 1 iPhone every year

No actually if that Apple A8 made it onto an Android device, it would fly. It would also not show signs of thermal throttle so would work quite amazingly. Also Android's Java apps support 64 bit supported already.

Also the 1GB of RAM is coupled with higher cache, which lifts some burden off the RAM.

And due to Android's open structure, you can't really optimize. There are sooooo many different chipsets used in Android phones. That's why you see lag even With 3gb ram and a SD805. It's true for Windows phone too but not as much. But that never applies with iPhones. Optimisation > Specs *drops Mic*

One of this biggest misconceptions on this earth is exactly that. With that logic Windows would be running like sh** on most PCs today.

Optimisation is possible even when there are a variety of different devices out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No actually if that Apple A8 made it onto an Android device, it would fly. It would also not show signs of thermal throttle so would work quite amazingly. Also Android's Java apps support 64 bit supported already.

Also the 1GB of RAM is coupled with higher cache, which lifts some burden off the RAM.

One of this biggest misconceptions on this earth is exactly that. With that logic Windows would be running like sh** on most PCs today.

Optimisation is possible even when there are a variety of different devices out there.

not really

Why iPhone With 1GB RAM Performs Better Than Android Devices With 2GB Or More RAM? | Redmond Pie

need i say more
*drops mic*

optmisation is key and android lacks it
you want more proof,buy a BB10 and youll see what android should have been

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
not really

Why iPhone With 1GB RAM Performs Better Than Android Devices With 2GB Or More RAM? | Redmond Pie

need i say more
*drops mic*

optmisation is key and android lacks it
you want more proof,buy a BB10 and youll see what android should have been

I've used a Z10, and it's an alright device nothing too special.

By the way about the garbage collection Android 5.0 does improve on garbage collection and I've been using the final build for quite some time now, any small stutters that you would occasionally find are gone except in some unoptimised applications.

And it's not like Apple hasn't moved to higher gigabytes of RAM, it has the iPads come with 2GB.

Also talking about the intended topic, which is Windows Phone, Windows Phone also has phones with 2GB of RAM that still show a "resuming" issue every now and then, how do you explain optimisation then?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For years WP users have been defending the OS from needing 20 cores because the system is light and does not require such heavy artillery. Now the 1520 has a quad-core CPU so we're going to do the same to Apple as has been done to us? Make up your minds fellas.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
For years WP users have been defending the OS from needing 20 cores because the system is light and does not require such heavy artillery. Now the 1520 has a quad-core CPU so we're going to do the same to Apple as has been done to us? Make up your minds fellas.

Honestly fatclue, no OS will run best on weak hardware.

Windows Phone, Android and iOS flagships may have different types of architecture and core counts but they are on par with performance.

I would be impressed if some OS ran extremely smooth on the latest version of Android, iOS or Windows Phone with a single core processor but it's not possible.

All OSes are power hungry, but to varying degrees and depending on what they can do with all the horsepower..

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
This post below is pure speculation.

HW is always the limiting factor in achieving greater performance (if you need it, its been shown in games 1520 can do higher framerates, since scrolling is HW rendered, 1520 has smoother scrolling that the iphone 6 plus (go to nytimes on both devices and try it yourself)).
HW Performance and SW efficiency are two different things. Just because you have efficient SW, doesnt mean you dont need greater HW performance.

A major portion of performance is based on how optimized the operating system and applications are, and iOS wins out on this compared to both Android and Windows Phone.

While yes on paper a 1520 may have better specifications than any iPhone ever released, even the latest one the 1520 has weaker hardware because it may have more cores but Apple's own A7 and A8 are more powerful.

Lumia 1520 beats iPhone 5s in Memory benchmark test, but just misses on the overall win | Windows Central

As far as the graphics benchmark you are talking about, it's flawed IMO. The 1520 can't beat a Snapdragon 801 used on the Xperia Z1, primarily because the 801 chip came with a much more improved GPU.

Plus even if the 1520 scored higher in benchmarks, there is almost zero benefit you'll have of it, and here's why:

1) The Snapdragon 800 processors heat up way more easily, and because of the heat they can't maintain their maximum clock frequency for long.

Compare that to iPhone and it can maintain cooler performance for longer, especially on the A8 chip because of the new 28nm architecture.

2) No matter how much a Windows Phone scores higher than an iOS or Android device, better quality apps and games with more effects with always be given to Android or iOS and not Windows Phone (there could be a few exceptions).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss