09-28-2014 02:59 AM
58 123
tools
    I would hope Apple nails it considering biometric sensors have been on smartphones for quite a few years now. LG and Motorola had them on WinMo devices back in '09 and they were spot on. They would reject my right ring finger if the saved profile was my right index finger, never mind anybody else's.
    Yup, very similar to how it works on the iPhone as well. You're given 5 scanner profiles, so I just set each of my thumbs twice (compensate for odd/weird angles) and my main index finger (if phone is laying flat on table the finger i would use to unlock it). I really hope other OEMs learn from this and use it going forward, it should really be considered a standard feature in my opinion as not a single person i shown it to didnt think it was a great idea.
    09-26-2014 10:01 AM
    So what are thieves going to do now? Steal your phone and chop off your hands just in case?
    09-26-2014 11:43 AM
    So what are thieves going to do now? Steal your phone and chop off your hands just in case?
    Funny as it is, this was jokingly considered at release but said it wouldnt work as lack of blood in fingers wouldnt represent the finger prints carefully.
    09-26-2014 02:27 PM
    I'm actively using the 1520.3 and IP6 love it so far. It's my first iPhone ever. It's a nice "little" phone. :)
    09-26-2014 05:15 PM
    Funny as it is, this was jokingly considered at release but said it wouldnt work as lack of blood in fingers wouldnt represent the finger prints carefully.
    I'm not worried about smart thieves that would know that. It's the crackhead looking to score a rock that concerns me. You think those Einsteins would know?
    09-26-2014 11:02 PM
    I'm not worried about smart thieves that would know that. It's the crackhead looking to score a rock that concerns me. You think those Einsteins would know?

But those crackheads looking to score always have the best deals on ill gotten electronics.
    09-27-2014 03:03 AM
    And yet they still managed to fool the scanner with prints picked up from a drink glass a few days later.

Don't get me wrong: for all practical intents and purposes, TouchID is more than secure enough for daily use, and while using it, your data won't be compromised unless the NSA is after you.

Nonetheless, a heartbeat apparently isn't as essential as originally anticipated.
    09-27-2014 08:56 PM
    And yet they still managed to fool the scanner with prints picked up from a drink glass a few days later.

Don't get me wrong: for all practical intents and purposes, TouchID is more than secure enough for daily use, and while using it, your data won't be compromised unless the NSA is after you.

Nonetheless, a heartbeat apparently isn't as essential as originally anticipated.
    LOL, I am sure it's very possible to compromise touch ID but yes I'm talking about practical intents. It was quite hilarious the ways of fooling the scanner so quickly after launch, but these were people who own their phone and found very minimal margin loopholes. Nonetheless, my point is its a lot easier than 4 digit codes or pattern unlock.

Posted via Nexus 5 WPC App
    09-28-2014 02:59 AM
58 123