10-04-2014 10:10 PM
147 ... 456
tools
    Of course I was defending my post; are you daft? Your condescending tone speaks volumes about where your brand loyalties lie, though!

Yes, you just made my argument for me. One phone per year and one fault or the other with it, anyway, considering that Apple has more money than God to throw at R&D, that same department that is supposed to help prevent these yearly problems. Considering their always high-and-mighty tone during product announcement presentations, they certainly don't live up to the bold claims. They don't make BAD products, per se, their laptops are gorgeous and the display units are fantastic on their devices, which I really like. But at the same time they're just like any other manufacturer. It doesn't matter if they do have a superior attitude about it.

I have nothing to add. *shrug*
    You're right, they're just like any other company. Most companies that design and manufacture products usually have the accounting department either in a separate building or completely off-site. Design/Build says one thing, the bean counters say it's too expensive and will throttle profits. Usually, the bean counters win and that's why they need to be isolated for their own protection.

I've tried to present points of view from an engineering perspective and from the product management side of things. I think I'm going to join a5cent and abstain from any further discussion on this thread. I'm not defending Apple but there are so many factors at play regarding the iP6's torsional stability that the average Joe does not, or cannot comprehend.
    09-26-2014 10:09 AM
    I'm always a bit sceptical of what company spokespeople claim, but if Apple is truthful here, then just the fact that they are using a specially formulated alloy and using titanium inserts makes it very hard to believe Apple is "cheaping out" in their material choices.
    Just when I thought I was leaving the thread.

Actually, using inserts of a higher caliber would indicate that either they spotted a design fail too late in the process OR they bought up their aluminum stock at a negotiated "special" price and discovered flaws during initial testing. In any event, added braces or stiffening members to eliminate stresses are usually post-manufacturing in nature. This is a common practice for example, a vehicle badly fails a crash test then a door beam or something similar is added and then it passes. When the Mustang Convertibles came back in '83, there were multiple issues with doors not closing properly, convertible roofs not aligning, etc. 1984 comes along and now there's an X-frame chassis sub-connector onboard.

I suspect Apple had hog-tied the entire accounting department and let the engineers do their jobs.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-26-2014 10:23 AM
    I love watching apple fanboys defend apple after they've paid 600 dollars for this flimsy excuse of a 'premium quality' product.

And they always call samsung devices flimsy! Hahaha I can't stop laughing! xD
    09-26-2014 10:27 AM
    Sometimes in situations like this it's not a bad idea to let people know where you speak from. :) I don't see engineering so much as authority but more as experience gained. Yes there's lots of schooling and maths but experience of what engineering is outweighs the schooling you do. I have opinions of what an 'engineer' is. I've met some brilliant ones over the years and of course, ones I wouldn't trust with a screwdriver.
    Absolutely. As I have two left hands, I wouldn't trust myself with a screwdriver either though

I just expect myself to be able to explain stuff like this, even to laymen, and it's frustrating when I realize I can not. I understand your point, but I wish my explanations were good enough on their own. I realize that I can get too fervid with stuff like this, but that is just who I am. It's part of my idealism. I'd prefer people to trust the reasoning behind an explanation rather than trust the person doing the talking. Only then is it really knowledge gained through understanding, rather than just memorized "teachings" of some authorative (or experienced) figure.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    09-26-2014 10:41 AM
    Absolutely. As I have two left hands, I wouldn't trust myself with a screwdriver either though

I just expect myself to be able to explain stuff like this, even to laymen, and it's frustrating when I realize I can not. I understand your point, but I wish my explanations were good enough on their own. I realize that I can get too fervid with stuff like this, but that is just who I am. It's part of my idealism. I'd prefer people to trust the reasoning behind an explanation rather than trust the person doing the talking. Only then is it really knowledge gained through understanding, rather than just memorized "teachings" of some authorative (or experienced) figure.
    I understand your point entirely but I do know people don't trust a person on knowledge unless they show some sort of background in it. It's almost like doing an interview for a job or speaking to a journalist as an expert. They just won't believe you unless you tell them that your knowledgeable in the subject matter.

In cases like this speaking from knowledge is not a bad thing as many don't understand design and engineering or the cost evaluation that goes on. In my industry of industrial engineering it's all about costs vs design. I'm pretty sure all industries in engineering are like this.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-26-2014 11:14 AM
    Just when I thought I was leaving the thread.

Actually, using inserts of a higher caliber would indicate that either they spotted a design fail too late in the process OR they bought up their aluminum stock at a negotiated "special" price and discovered flaws during initial testing. In any event, added braces or stiffening members to eliminate stresses are usually post-manufacturing in nature. This is a common practice for example, a vehicle badly fails a crash test then a door beam or something similar is added and then it passes. When the Mustang Convertibles came back in '83, there were multiple issues with doors not closing properly, convertible roofs not aligning, etc. 1984 comes along and now there's an X-frame chassis sub-connector onboard.

I suspect Apple had hog-tied the entire accounting department and let the engineers do their jobs.
    If the inserts into something like the iPhone were post-manufacturing in nature, then as tightly as everything fits inside an iPhone, there would have been no place to add titanium inserts or any extra bracing. They would have had to start the design process over, period, or at least alter it drastically.

I notice the examples you give to prove this argument are all products where the bracing had to be added in a following production year. This is not the case with the iPhone.

Look, I'm not trying to defend the iPhone, but I'm not going to lie and say it's total garbage. It's a good product, albeit quite expensive for what you get in my opinion. But, with great marketing comes great prices, right?

If I were able to bake biscuits at 5 cents each, and be guaranteed to sell them for $5 each, I'd be baking biscuits all day long! If the public wants it and is willing to pay for it, then let the iSheep pay for it. Personally, if I saw someone selling biscuits for $5 each and passing them out in a fancy paper bag with a hip logo on it, I'd still go home and bake my own for the nickel. I don't care how cool the paper bag is.
    a5cent and sinime like this.
    09-26-2014 01:45 PM
    Is all a bit mad!
    09-28-2014 07:42 AM
    If the inserts into something like the iPhone were post-manufacturing in nature, then as tightly as everything fits inside an iPhone, there would have been no place to add titanium inserts or any extra bracing. They would have had to start the design process over, period, or at least alter it drastically.

I notice the examples you give to prove this argument are all products where the bracing had to be added in a following production year. This is not the case with the iPhone.

Look, I'm not trying to defend the iPhone, but I'm not going to lie and say it's total garbage. It's a good product, albeit quite expensive for what you get in my opinion. But, with great marketing comes great prices, right?

If I were able to bake biscuits at 5 cents each, and be guaranteed to sell them for $5 each, I'd be baking biscuits all day long! If the public wants it and is willing to pay for it, then let the iSheep pay for it. Personally, if I saw someone selling biscuits for $5 each and passing them out in a fancy paper bag with a hip logo on it, I'd still go home and bake my own for the nickel. I don't care how cool the paper bag is.

What did P.T. Barnum say about suckers?

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk
    09-28-2014 01:37 PM
    What did P.T. Barnum say about suckers?
    lol. He'd love iSheeple.
    09-28-2014 04:01 PM
    There is no spoon ! but there is the iPhone 6 "Plush it bends" what a mouthful.
    09-28-2014 04:43 PM
    Is all a bit mad!
    All around me are familiar smart phones
    Bent up iPhones, Upset iDrones
    Bright and early paying off their iLoans
    Going nowhere, going nowhere

Their tears are filling up their glasses
    No expression, no expression
    Hide their heads they wanna drown their sorrow
    No tomorrow, no tomorrow

It's a Mad World
    Mad World
    Aremosiur likes this.
    09-29-2014 12:06 PM
    09-29-2014 12:23 PM
    NOT SO BENDY AS CLAIMS IN LAB TESTS
    http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/...lieved-n213916
    Yeah, it's all hype, a buddy of mine has a 6+ and it's a fine device and seems very strong and well built. The only beef I have with apple is how their OS works, it's painful to use for me, but there is no issue with build quality.
    10-02-2014 08:16 AM
    There's no doubt about the built quality of iPhone 6+. But I might say the iPhone users would never try to bend their iPhones as most of the Nokia users tried it.
    Last edited by psoham777; 10-03-2014 at 03:18 AM.
    10-03-2014 03:07 AM
    There's no doubt about the built quality of iPhone 6+. But I might say the iPhone users would never try to bend their iPhones as most of the Nokia users tried it.
    What, 9 cases out of 10 million is a problem? We need to get real on this.
    10-03-2014 09:09 AM
    10-03-2014 09:12 AM
    Nope, I'm a WP guy l, have been for many years now. But, I know BS when I see it. Only idiots jam a 6" phone into their skinny jeans and sit down.
    10-04-2014 09:08 AM
    Nope, I'm a WP guy l, have been for many years now. But, I know BS when I see it. Only idiots jam a 6" phone into their skinny jeans and sit down.
    And in related news:
    Why is it that people who insist on paying too much for older technology just because it is pretty are the same people that don't have enough sense not to put said technology in their pants pocket to sit on? No sense on either front I'm afraid.
    mjrtoo likes this.
    10-04-2014 09:13 AM
    My work colleague has an iphone 5s that has bent in the same way as the 6 plus. I much prefer my lumia 920 to iphones. It feels classier, more solid and less of a fashion accessory.
    10-04-2014 09:16 AM
    My work colleague has an iphone 5s that has bent in the same way as the 6 plus. I much prefer my lumia 920 to iphones. It feels classier, more solid and less of a fashion accessory.
    You prefer your Lumia 920, and you are right to do so. I prefer my Lumia 520 over the iPhone. I showed some people some fun things Cortana can do this morning while having a cup of coffee and accessing some free Wi-Fi for my laptop. People were really impressed by being able to do something silly like ask Cortana, "What does a cow say?" When Cortana said, "Moooooo" and showed a picture of a cow, people were like, "Oh, wow! That is so much cooler than anything Siri can do! Is that the new Galaxy?" I'm like, "No, it's not a Galaxy. It's a Windows Phone."
    Aremosiur likes this.
    10-04-2014 09:25 AM
    OK, nothing else to see here, let's move on to "beardgate".
    Sent from a Samsung Ativ S Neo via Tapatalk
    Guytronic likes this.
    10-04-2014 09:25 PM
    OK, nothing else to see here, let's move on to "beardgate".
    Sent from a Samsung Ativ S Neo via Tapatalk
    ot.jpg
    fatclue_98 and a5cent like this.
    10-04-2014 10:10 PM
147 ... 456