Bend it like iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Uh oh, the big iPhone 6 has some unexpected LG Flex envy that develops over time in a pocket. I guess I'm happier now my 1520 is plastic and not aluminum. :wink:

(pic from Macrumors.com)

bent_iphone-smaller.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: The iPhone 6 Bends

Wow I just started seeing these reports.

and to think once upon a time a few years ago I was joking about phones and laptops getting so thin so as to be easily snapped using one's knee.
Guess I'm not so far off.

Color me interested. It's a shame, I wonder how it flew by QA, and I'll be waiting to see what happens, since this is potentially something I think might rival the iPhone 4's antennae debacle.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

There have been some reports of the HTC M8 bending too. That's the problem with soft metal, isn't it... It bends. Metal bodies also get signal issues, visible dents and scratches, and it's worse at absorbing shocks.
The only upside is that it 'looks' pretty.

I'd rather Nokiasoft keep using the polycarbonate. An all-metal Lumia wouldn't be able to take the kind of abuse Nokia phones are infamous for tolerating.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Wow ouch!
That was painful to watch.
Looks like it did take a bit of force to bend the phone.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Oww, I now love my Lumia phones even more. A proud user of Nokia from 5 years, now people will understand the built quality of Nokia & all those complaining that Nokia doesn't have a metal phone.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
There have been some reports of the HTC M8 bending too. That's the problem with soft metal, isn't it... It bends. Metal bodies also get signal issues, visible dents and scratches, and it's worse at absorbing shocks.
The only upside is that it 'looks' pretty.

I'd rather Nokiasoft keep using the polycarbonate. An all-metal Lumia wouldn't be able to take the kind of abuse Nokia phones are infamous for tolerating.

Exactly. People need to understand there are tradeoffs... I love my polycarbonate phones from Nokia... My 920 has been through alot... Still going..

My last iPhone, a 3gs, was replaced cause the phone bent in my pocket... Not bent and stayed bent... But bent and caused backlight problems to the phone... My 920 gets slept on, sat on, dropped, tosses, and wedged... But I has only gained scuffs on the back... Mainly from an aluminum 5thgen iPod nano on a bike ride one time...

My iPad bent and had backlight problems too. But the surface 1&2 as well as the dell venue pro 8 used in the same manners have had no issue... Much more durable, functional, and premium in my eyes.

Apple designs things nicely yes, but the over all goal is to make you believe you have a premium product... The feeling you get by seeing and holding the device... As well as what other think when they see you with it... Plastic looks cheap to people... Yet, plastic as always been the durable goods... i love aluminum on my bikes and my cars... Past that, carbon would be nice but lets not kid ourselves... Give me my poly phone...

Emotions and such are wavy... Apple plays on the publics emotion and feelings more than anything else with marketing... All logic seems to go out the window as people just feel they have superiority in their hands... They fail to see they are still human and quite possible the one at fault and cause of the issue of what have you..

I have still not had the time to set up my new 1520, but i will tomorrow... I am sure the larger surface area will be considered and never sat on... Dropping it is not an option... Although my dell venue pro 8 well out of my FJ and the corner was barely scuffed... No damage otherwise... I am sure the 1520 will be just as strong...

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

This is a PR disaster for Apple, worse than their last antenna one I would think. I wonder how they will deal with it.

https://www.hashtags.org/analytics/bendgate/

They can't, they just can't. IPhone 6/6+ has already been launched, if say there were some software problems or something like that they might have dealt with it. But they can't deal with this one.
Hence before announcing a phone, Nokia vigorously tests their phones, how much they can take, only then they are launched, hence Nokia has got a history of the most durable phones & others haven't.

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Just saw a iPhone 6+ bend , they even tried it on a note 3 and it didn't bend with it ****y build.Apple screwed up bad!

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

This is so funny. Very poor phone material engineering. At least the screen doesn't crack on the vids I have seen but it's still pathetic engineering.

Bit like American cars vs European lol

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes & now apple cannot do anything as iPhone 6/6+ are already launched.

Hence due to all this factors, Nokia does vigorous testing on their phones, only then its announced. Hence it has a history of the most durable phones.

This is so funny. Very poor phone material engineering. At least the screen doesn't crack on the vids I have seen but it's still pathetic engineering.

Bit like American cars vs European lol

The screen would've cracked, but the reviewer stopped applying pressure when the phone was bent.
Otherwise that iPhone could've been bent even more

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs