Bend it like iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I just hope this marks the end for thinner phones. Nobody should pay top price for a phone and see it get bend out of shape by daily use like that... Especially premium iPhones. Not saying it's okay on other phones, but this kind of defeats the whole "cheap fragile plastic" argument in my honest opinion. don't get me wrong, I don't like Samsung one bit either and most plastic phones are just plain ugly.

By selling millions and millions of phones. Incipio and Otterbox will make millions and millions selling reinforced cases. Not making excuses, but we all know how "antennagate" turned out, don't we? It turned out to be a big nothing.

...But you can't just slap a case on it and fix it, like antennagate, chipping or decoloration like on the HTC 8X - you can't even compare this with antennagate... This is a phone with a big footprint and a very thin body. Physics happen. And even if you could find a case thats strong enough to prevent it from bending, you shouldn't be required to spend extra money to hide your beautiful phone in a thick, rugged case to prevent it from bending in the first place. There's no excuse, and I never liked the way Apple went with "Here's a free case to fix it" on the older iPhone 4. There's plenty of other OEMS that make mistakes as well, but I didn't expect this from a compagny as big as Apple, that only release ONE (in this case, two) models per year.

Apple dropped the ball here and I hope they can somehow fix it in the next batch before they lose customers. And I'm not saying this because I'm against Apple or anything - I'm being realistic. If I buy a phone, a laptop or whatever at such a premium price, I expect nothing less but quality. "just put a case on it" wouldn't be OK with me in any case (no pun intended). And if you don't have a problem with slapping a case on your phone, that doesn't mean others want to use a case.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
LOL, how cute, you're trying to justify your post.

One antenna issue with one phone: the iPhone 4. It was fixed with the 4s.

Not a hardware issue.

Again, one issue, with one phone: the iPhone 5. It was fixed with the 5s.

Don't forget about the other problems with the 920; Apple might have one problem per phone release, Nokia had multiples.

And dear god, before you throw down the "Apple ******" card, please know that I only like iOS on the iPhone, I hate iPads, I don't much care for OS X, I run Windows 8 on all my PCs, I have a Surface RT, and in addition to an iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, and a 5s I have had two Lumia 920s, two Lumia 820s, a Lumia 520, and an HTC 8X.

Don't take this as picking a fight. :) But, Nokia's phones weren't over $900USD unlocked. It's the overpricing of these flawed designs that I take issue with. I still remember the pain of buying the first iPhone at $600 but it was still locked to AT&T. Didn't have MMS or cut/copy/paste. Apple's answer: The hardware couldn't handle it. Lol. My old flip phone did MMS and copy/paste.

Point is, the public needs to take a step back and really understand Apple from a business aspect. It's OK to still buy from them, just know what you're buying.

AdilY

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: The iPhone 6 Bends

They can't, they just can't. IPhone 6/6+ has already been launched, if say there were some software problems or something like that they might have dealt with it. But they can't deal with this one.
Hence before announcing a phone, Nokia vigorously tests their phones, how much they can take, only then they are launched, hence Nokia has got a history of the most durable phones & others haven't.
True, Nokia tests are very tough, I have seen them and tried them on a science fair. Unbelievable how much they bend before any lasting damage.
However, I think the video of the iPhone 6+ bending is not in any way scientific. A larger phone/phablet allows for a lot more leverage and therefore more force to be applied. How strong are his thumbs? Let's wait for a apples to apples (pun) comparison before passing judgement.
I still think Nokia phones are tougher.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
LOL, how cute, you're trying to justify your post.

One antenna issue with one phone: the iPhone 4. It was fixed with the 4s.

Not a hardware issue.

Again, one issue, with one phone: the iPhone 5. It was fixed with the 5s.

Don't forget about the other problems with the 920; Apple might have one problem per phone release, Nokia had multiples.

And dear god, before you throw down the "Apple ******" card, please know that I only like iOS on the iPhone, I hate iPads, I don't much care for OS X, I run Windows 8 on all my PCs, I have a Surface RT, and in addition to an iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, and a 5s I have had two Lumia 920s, two Lumia 820s, a Lumia 520, and an HTC 8X.

So what? All you're citing is whatever iPhone problems there are, they are fixed with the next release.

Great. So that means consumers should wait until the release of the 6S plus?

Yeah. I don't care if you have other devices. Just by the mere fact you are going through these lengths to defend Apple tells me you are indeed a ******.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Something I can't believe that I haven't seen mentioned as of yet...

All these bent phones... iPhone fans try to minimize it, and say the 920 bends. However, then 920 has been out for quite some time, and there have been very few reports (one that I know of) of bent phones. Yes, it can be bent, but takes more force than the iPhone will take to bend.

The 6 and 6+ has been out for how long? A few days? And there is already a #bendgate? How can this even compare? If a company is getting this many reports about such a problem only a few days after launch, then the problem will only get more serious.

I have the perfect solution for all those iPhone 6 users with a bent phone, and can no longer afford another iPhone 6 because they just laid down too much cash for the bent one. You can get a Lumia 520 for around $50US on Amazon. Ha! It won't bend.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
A big phone will bend and break when you jam it in the front pocket of your skinny jeans, apple or not. What gets me is the hypocrisy of each side, apple fans laughed when the Samsung bent, called it crap etc. And visa versa. All it really takes is common flipping sense.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So what? All you're citing is whatever iPhone problems there are, they are fixed with the next release.
No, I'm pointing out that the problems Apple has had with the iPhone is usually limited in scope to one problem, one phone. Not many problems, one phone or many problems, many phones. Nokia's Lumia line - which has been used by comparison in this thread by the person to whom I responded - has suffered from many problems, one phone. It's not an equal comparison.

Great. So that means consumers should wait until the release of the 6S plus?
Personally, I think that consumers should be a bit more careful with expensive, high-tech devices than they currently are. I cringe every time I see a Nokia, Samsung, or iPhone sticking out of someone's back pocket. Truthfully, with phones getting bigger and lighter, it was only a matter of time before some manufacturer or other had this problem.

I am confident that Apple will have fixed this problem with the 6S+, as I would be equally confident had Nokia or Samsung released a device with similar issues.

Just by the mere fact you are going through these lengths to defend Apple tells me you are indeed a ******.
Not only did you fail to think about what I wrote, you couldn't even come up with something original?

However, then 920 has been out for quite some time, and there have been very few reports (one that I know of) of bent phones. Yes, it can be bent, but takes more force than the iPhone will take to bend.

Of all the problems I've seen with the 920, I can't recall bending as one of them. *shrug*

I may be wrong, though.

Last edited:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
No, I'm pointing out that the problems Apple has had with the iPhone is usually limited in scope to one problem, one phone. Not many problems, one phone or many problems, many phones. Nokia's Lumia line - which has been used by comparison in this thread by the person to whom I responded - has suffered from many problems, one phone. It's not an equal comparison.

Personally, I think that consumers should be a bit more careful with expensive, high-tech devices than they currently are. I cringe every time I see a Nokia, Samsung, or iPhone sticking out of someone's back pocket. Truthfully, with phones getting bigger and lighter, it was only a matter of time before some manufacturer or other had this problem.

I am confident that Apple will have fixed this problem with the 6S+, as I would be equally confident had Nokia or Samsung released a device with similar issues.

Of all the problems I've seen with the 920, I can't recall bending as one of them. *shrug*

I may be wrong, though.

No problem with other people liking the iPhone. I can't stand the phones as a personal opinion and think, as a consumer, they are way overpriced. But I'm okay that other people love them, to each their own. With that being said I think its a little ridiculous to have that obvious of a design/build integrity issue when the company only makes two phones and takes quite a bit of time developing them. I would expect with that high end a phone and it being there only phone offerings that it would have been put through a great deal of everyday use testing from not just technicians but non-technician, secretariys ECT, to get feedback. So for that glaring of an issue its quite suprising it wasn't found or tken care of. Or if it was found suprising they were ok accepting it.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It may have been said before, but I want to reiterate that the iPhone is made out of aluminum. If it were made from stainless steel, these bend issues would probably not be very bad if at all. I always find it funny when people talk of aluminum being premium. It may look premium, but aluminum is a fairly weak metal. I understand why apple uses it though. It is inexpensive and really easy to machine. Stainless steel, which is a truly premium metal, costs maybe twice as much and takes about 5 times longer to machine compared to aluminum.

Also, I believe plastic has gotten a bad rap in the phone material sector. First off, not all plastics are created equal. Certain plastics were designed for very specific purposes, anywhere from being able to withstand low and high temperatures to being able to bend and stretch without yielding. Polycarbonate has proven to be a fantastic material for phones. It is strong, durable, elastic and, my personal favorite, can be whatever color you want. So, don't be hating on quality plastic just because it isn't metal.

Overall, I just hope that this #bendgate issue makes people realize that just because it's metal and looks good, doesn't mean it is durable.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Time will tell whether this is a big or small issue.

I've always worn phones in my pockets all the time. All other than an old Siemens have survived without bending. That over a couple of years curved but still worked fine.

I bet there's a bunch of iPhone users wishing the phone was a little thicker with longer battery life and more bend resistance though!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It may have been said before, but I want to reiterate that the iPhone is made out of aluminum. If it were made from stainless steel, these bend issues would probably not be very bad if at all. I always find it funny when people talk of aluminum being premium. It may look premium, but aluminum is a fairly weak metal. I understand why apple uses it though. It is inexpensive and really easy to machine. Stainless steel, which is a truly premium metal, costs maybe twice as much and takes about 5 times longer to machine compared to aluminum.

Also, I believe plastic has gotten a bad rap in the phone material sector. First off, not all plastics are created equal. Certain plastics were designed for very specific purposes, anywhere from being able to withstand low and high temperatures to being able to bend and stretch without yielding. Polycarbonate has proven to be a fantastic material for phones. It is strong, durable, elastic and, my personal favorite, can be whatever color you want. So, don't be hating on quality plastic just because it isn't metal.

Overall, I just hope that this #bendgate issue makes people realize that just because it's metal and looks good, doesn't mean it is durable.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Stainless steel is also heavier than aluminum.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that even stainless steel would've made any difference, if iPhones were made of adamantium, then it would surely have

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Stainless steel is also heavier than aluminum.

That's the rub, isn't it? People want "big!" and "light!", but you can't really have both of those without sacrificing something. Look at the 920... it was a big phone for its time (not counting the Note, of course), and it got a bad rap for being heavy. On the other hand, you could drive over it with a tank and it would laugh at you. The 6+ is bigger (28mm taller, 8mm wider, but not as thick by 3mm) and lighter (by a full 13g or something), but it sacrifices the 920s toughness.

For what it's worth, the Note 4 is shorter than the 6+, but a bit wider and thicker. It's also over .15oz heavier, probably because of the poly case which gives it some of the toughness the 6+ is lacking.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
If only this Nokia torture test video could go viral. :smile: If you listen carefully you can hear that no one wanted to test an iPhone out. LOL

At 5:47 is where the iPhone would fail unfortunately.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
but I want to reiterate that the iPhone is made out of aluminum. If it were made from stainless steel, these bend issues would probably not be very bad if at all.

All crystalline metals can be bent out of shape. It's only a question of how much force is required. You might get about twice the stiffness out of a steel frame, but I doubt that would solve the problem. You'd still be able to bend it out of shape by sitting on it.

As Laura mentioned, weight is also a very important property that shouldn't be ignored. A steel version of this phone would easily weigh 250 instead of 160 grams (probably more), which would have everyone raging.

Using a material that reverts back into its original shape, like polycarbonate, is one solution. Assuming Apple wants to stick with crystalline metals however, just changing materials won't be enough. They will have to do some redesigning/reinforcing to fix it.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
All crystalline metals can be bent out of shape. It's only a question of how much force is required. You might get about twice the stiffness out of a steel frame, but I doubt that would solve the problem. You'd still be able to bend it out of shape by sitting on it.

As Laura mentioned, weight is also a very important property that shouldn't be ignored. A steel version of this phone would easily weigh 250 instead of 160 grams (probably more), which would have everyone raging.

Using a material that reverts back into its original shape, like polycarbonate, is one solution. Assuming Apple wants to stick with crystalline metals however, just changing materials won't be enough. They will have to do some redesigning/reinforcing to fix it.

You are right. But now apple can't fix it, they just can't. IPhones6/6+ are already launched, they needed to do all that testing before they came out. Hence Nokia vigorously tests their phones before launching them. Stainless steel/aluminium can't fix it, but adamantium surely can.:p
Just waiting for Nokia to come up with a metal phone & then we'll see how much force is required to bend it

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Actually Apple's site shows the IPhone 6 / 6 Plus to be 129 grams and 172 grams respectively.

What I don't get is why everyone would be raging since the 1st gen iPhone weighed 135 grams, and I thought it was pretty sturdy back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb