Bend it like iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
a5cent is right on this one. Although I'm not an engineer, I do have multiple degrees and have worked along side engineers for several years in doing metallurgical analysis. According to an Apple spokesperson, the aluminum used in the new iPhone is a custom grade. That means it isn't a standard, off the shelf grade, it's been specifically formulated and treated for the iPhone. It's an anodized aluminum that is tempered for extra strength, and the phone has stainless steel and titanium inserts for added strength.

It's not Apple's fault that the less than one in a million iPhones got bent. They took special care in the design, which is what they are good at, and why they sell so many phones.

I still my Lumia over an iPhone any day, but that's because I prefer the Windows Phone operating system over the iOS, and I prefer Cortana (which I use quite heavily) over Siri.

You know, it's possible that they were saying that is how it happened just to get a free replacement after they dropped it, didn't realize it, and ran over it with their SUV. I'm not saying that's what happened, because we'll never know for sure. I did that to a Nokia feature phone once. Cracked the screen, because the screen was face down in the gravel when I ran over it, but it didn't bend. I continued to use it for several weeks until I was able to obtain a new Nokia.

Even if it was a product flaw, a flaw in 9 phones out of over 10 million is not exactly a high rate of failure.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
LOL, how cute, you're trying to justify your post.

One antenna issue with one phone: the iPhone 4. It was fixed with the 4s.

Not a hardware issue.

Again, one issue, with one phone: the iPhone 5. It was fixed with the 5s.

Don't forget about the other problems with the 920; Apple might have one problem per phone release, Nokia had multiples.

And dear god, before you throw down the "Apple ******" card, please know that I only like iOS on the iPhone, I hate iPads, I don't much care for OS X, I run Windows 8 on all my PCs, I have a Surface RT, and in addition to an iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, and a 5s I have had two Lumia 920s, two Lumia 820s, a Lumia 520, and an HTC 8X.

Of course I was defending my post; are you daft? Your condescending tone speaks volumes about where your brand loyalties lie, though!

Yes, you just made my argument for me. One phone per year and one fault or the other with it, anyway, considering that Apple has more money than God to throw at R&D, that same department that is supposed to help prevent these yearly problems. Considering their always high-and-mighty tone during product announcement presentations, they certainly don't live up to the bold claims. They don't make BAD products, per se, their laptops are gorgeous and the display units are fantastic on their devices, which I really like. But at the same time they're just like any other manufacturer. It doesn't matter if they do have a superior attitude about it.

I have nothing to add. *shrug*

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not pretending to be an engineer. I am one. I just wish that wasn't relevant, because I'd prefer my explanations to be compelling on their own, without having to back them up with credentials or authority.

Sometimes in situations like this it's not a bad idea to let people know where you speak from. :) I don't see engineering so much as authority but more as experience gained. Yes there's lots of schooling and maths but experience of what engineering is outweighs the schooling you do. I have opinions of what an 'engineer' is. I've met some brilliant ones over the years and of course, ones I wouldn't trust with a screwdriver.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
According to an Apple spokesperson, the aluminum used in the new iPhone is a custom grade. That means it isn't a standard, off the shelf grade, it's been specifically formulated and treated for the iPhone. It's an anodized aluminum that is tempered for extra strength, and the phone has stainless steel and titanium inserts for added strength.

I'm always a bit sceptical of what company spokespeople claim, but if Apple is truthful here, then just the fact that they are using a specially formulated alloy and using titanium inserts makes it very hard to believe Apple is "cheaping out" in their material choices.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm always a bit sceptical of what company spokespeople claim, but if Apple is truthful here, then just the fact that they are using a specially formulated alloy and using titanium inserts makes it very hard to believe Apple is "cheaping out" in their material choices.

I read an article somewhere stating something similar in regards to the materials being used in the chassis.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Of course I was defending my post; are you daft? Your condescending tone speaks volumes about where your brand loyalties lie, though!

Yes, you just made my argument for me. One phone per year and one fault or the other with it, anyway, considering that Apple has more money than God to throw at R&D, that same department that is supposed to help prevent these yearly problems. Considering their always high-and-mighty tone during product announcement presentations, they certainly don't live up to the bold claims. They don't make BAD products, per se, their laptops are gorgeous and the display units are fantastic on their devices, which I really like. But at the same time they're just like any other manufacturer. It doesn't matter if they do have a superior attitude about it.

I have nothing to add. *shrug*

You're right, they're just like any other company. Most companies that design and manufacture products usually have the accounting department either in a separate building or completely off-site. Design/Build says one thing, the bean counters say it's too expensive and will throttle profits. Usually, the bean counters win and that's why they need to be isolated for their own protection.

I've tried to present points of view from an engineering perspective and from the product management side of things. I think I'm going to join a5cent and abstain from any further discussion on this thread. I'm not defending Apple but there are so many factors at play regarding the iP6's torsional stability that the average Joe does not, or cannot comprehend.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Just when I thought I was leaving the thread.

Actually, using inserts of a higher caliber would indicate that either they spotted a design fail too late in the process OR they bought up their aluminum stock at a negotiated "special" price and discovered flaws during initial testing. In any event, added braces or stiffening members to eliminate stresses are usually post-manufacturing in nature. This is a common practice for example, a vehicle badly fails a crash test then a door beam or something similar is added and then it passes. When the Mustang Convertibles came back in '83, there were multiple issues with doors not closing properly, convertible roofs not aligning, etc. 1984 comes along and now there's an X-frame chassis sub-connector onboard.

I suspect Apple had hog-tied the entire accounting department and let the engineers do their jobs.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I love watching apple fanboys defend apple after they've paid 600 dollars for this flimsy excuse of a 'premium quality' product.

And they always call samsung devices flimsy! Hahaha I can't stop laughing! xD

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes in situations like this it's not a bad idea to let people know where you speak from. :) I don't see engineering so much as authority but more as experience gained. Yes there's lots of schooling and maths but experience of what engineering is outweighs the schooling you do. I have opinions of what an 'engineer' is. I've met some brilliant ones over the years and of course, ones I wouldn't trust with a screwdriver.

Absolutely. As I have two left hands, I wouldn't trust myself with a screwdriver either though :wink:

I just expect myself to be able to explain stuff like this, even to laymen, and it's frustrating when I realize I can not. I understand your point, but I wish my explanations were good enough on their own. I realize that I can get too fervid with stuff like this, but that is just who I am. It's part of my idealism. I'd prefer people to trust the reasoning behind an explanation rather than trust the person doing the talking. Only then is it really knowledge gained through understanding, rather than just memorized "teachings" of some authorative (or experienced) figure.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely. As I have two left hands, I wouldn't trust myself with a screwdriver either though :wink:

I just expect myself to be able to explain stuff like this, even to laymen, and it's frustrating when I realize I can not. I understand your point, but I wish my explanations were good enough on their own. I realize that I can get too fervid with stuff like this, but that is just who I am. It's part of my idealism. I'd prefer people to trust the reasoning behind an explanation rather than trust the person doing the talking. Only then is it really knowledge gained through understanding, rather than just memorized "teachings" of some authorative (or experienced) figure.

I understand your point entirely but I do know people don't trust a person on knowledge unless they show some sort of background in it. It's almost like doing an interview for a job or speaking to a journalist as an expert. They just won't believe you unless you tell them that your knowledgeable in the subject matter.

In cases like this speaking from knowledge is not a bad thing as many don't understand design and engineering or the cost evaluation that goes on. In my industry of industrial engineering it's all about costs vs design. I'm pretty sure all industries in engineering are like this.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Just when I thought I was leaving the thread.

Actually, using inserts of a higher caliber would indicate that either they spotted a design fail too late in the process OR they bought up their aluminum stock at a negotiated "special" price and discovered flaws during initial testing. In any event, added braces or stiffening members to eliminate stresses are usually post-manufacturing in nature. This is a common practice for example, a vehicle badly fails a crash test then a door beam or something similar is added and then it passes. When the Mustang Convertibles came back in '83, there were multiple issues with doors not closing properly, convertible roofs not aligning, etc. 1984 comes along and now there's an X-frame chassis sub-connector onboard.

I suspect Apple had hog-tied the entire accounting department and let the engineers do their jobs.

If the inserts into something like the iPhone were post-manufacturing in nature, then as tightly as everything fits inside an iPhone, there would have been no place to add titanium inserts or any extra bracing. They would have had to start the design process over, period, or at least alter it drastically.

I notice the examples you give to prove this argument are all products where the bracing had to be added in a following production year. This is not the case with the iPhone.

Look, I'm not trying to defend the iPhone, but I'm not going to lie and say it's total garbage. It's a good product, albeit quite expensive for what you get in my opinion. But, with great marketing comes great prices, right?

If I were able to bake biscuits at 5 cents each, and be guaranteed to sell them for $5 each, I'd be baking biscuits all day long! If the public wants it and is willing to pay for it, then let the iSheep pay for it. Personally, if I saw someone selling biscuits for $5 each and passing them out in a fancy paper bag with a hip logo on it, I'd still go home and bake my own for the nickel. I don't care how cool the paper bag is.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If the inserts into something like the iPhone were post-manufacturing in nature, then as tightly as everything fits inside an iPhone, there would have been no place to add titanium inserts or any extra bracing. They would have had to start the design process over, period, or at least alter it drastically.

I notice the examples you give to prove this argument are all products where the bracing had to be added in a following production year. This is not the case with the iPhone.

Look, I'm not trying to defend the iPhone, but I'm not going to lie and say it's total garbage. It's a good product, albeit quite expensive for what you get in my opinion. But, with great marketing comes great prices, right?

If I were able to bake biscuits at 5 cents each, and be guaranteed to sell them for $5 each, I'd be baking biscuits all day long! If the public wants it and is willing to pay for it, then let the iSheep pay for it. Personally, if I saw someone selling biscuits for $5 each and passing them out in a fancy paper bag with a hip logo on it, I'd still go home and bake my own for the nickel. I don't care how cool the paper bag is.

What did P.T. Barnum say about suckers?

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: The iPhone 6 Bends

Is all a bit mad!

All around me are familiar smart phones
Bent up iPhones, Upset iDrones
Bright and early paying off their iLoans
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide their heads they wanna drown their sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

It's a Mad World
Mad World

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
There's no doubt about the built quality of iPhone 6+. But I might say the iPhone users would never try to bend their iPhones as most of the Nokia users tried it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb