10-04-2014 10:10 PM
147 123 ...
tools
    Uh oh, the big iPhone 6 has some unexpected LG Flex envy that develops over time in a pocket. I guess I'm happier now my 1520 is plastic and not aluminum.

(pic from Macrumors.com)

bent_iphone-smaller.jpg
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 09-22-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    09-22-2014 09:00 PM
    Apple trolled ;)
    Blu3V3nom07 likes this.
    09-23-2014 06:17 AM
    09-23-2014 08:05 PM
    Wow I just started seeing these reports.

and to think once upon a time a few years ago I was joking about phones and laptops getting so thin so as to be easily snapped using one's knee.
    Guess I'm not so far off.

Color me interested. It's a shame, I wonder how it flew by QA, and I'll be waiting to see what happens, since this is potentially something I think might rival the iPhone 4's antennae debacle.
    ven07 likes this.
    09-23-2014 08:22 PM
    Follow up

09-23-2014 08:30 PM
    Has anyone try bending the Nokia Lumia 1520?
    09-23-2014 09:56 PM
    Has anyone try bending the Nokia Lumia 1520?
    I did see a comment on either Ars Technica or Reddit where some 1520 owner saying (can't remember) it either did flex but bounces back (yay for plastic), but doesn't flex at all.

EDIT: The former.
    09-23-2014 10:57 PM
    There have been some reports of the HTC M8 bending too. That's the problem with soft metal, isn't it... It bends. Metal bodies also get signal issues, visible dents and scratches, and it's worse at absorbing shocks.
    The only upside is that it 'looks' pretty.

I'd rather Nokiasoft keep using the polycarbonate. An all-metal Lumia wouldn't be able to take the kind of abuse Nokia phones are infamous for tolerating.
    09-23-2014 11:46 PM
    Wow ouch!
    That was painful to watch.
    Looks like it did take a bit of force to bend the phone.
    ven07 likes this.
    09-23-2014 11:50 PM
    Oww, I now love my Lumia phones even more. A proud user of Nokia from 5 years, now people will understand the built quality of Nokia & all those complaining that Nokia doesn't have a metal phone.
    v_emman and Tom Snyder like this.
    09-24-2014 12:00 AM
    There have been some reports of the HTC M8 bending too. That's the problem with soft metal, isn't it... It bends. Metal bodies also get signal issues, visible dents and scratches, and it's worse at absorbing shocks.
    The only upside is that it 'looks' pretty.

I'd rather Nokiasoft keep using the polycarbonate. An all-metal Lumia wouldn't be able to take the kind of abuse Nokia phones are infamous for tolerating.
    Exactly. People need to understand there are tradeoffs... I love my polycarbonate phones from Nokia... My 920 has been through alot... Still going..

My last iPhone, a 3gs, was replaced cause the phone bent in my pocket... Not bent and stayed bent... But bent and caused backlight problems to the phone... My 920 gets slept on, sat on, dropped, tosses, and wedged... But I has only gained scuffs on the back... Mainly from an aluminum 5thgen iPod nano on a bike ride one time...

My iPad bent and had backlight problems too. But the surface 1&2 as well as the dell venue pro 8 used in the same manners have had no issue... Much more durable, functional, and premium in my eyes.

Apple designs things nicely yes, but the over all goal is to make you believe you have a premium product... The feeling you get by seeing and holding the device... As well as what other think when they see you with it... Plastic looks cheap to people... Yet, plastic as always been the durable goods... i love aluminum on my bikes and my cars... Past that, carbon would be nice but lets not kid ourselves... Give me my poly phone...

Emotions and such are wavy... Apple plays on the publics emotion and feelings more than anything else with marketing... All logic seems to go out the window as people just feel they have superiority in their hands... They fail to see they are still human and quite possible the one at fault and cause of the issue of what have you..

I have still not had the time to set up my new 1520, but i will tomorrow... I am sure the larger surface area will be considered and never sat on... Dropping it is not an option... Although my dell venue pro 8 well out of my FJ and the corner was barely scuffed... No damage otherwise... I am sure the 1520 will be just as strong...
    09-24-2014 12:01 AM
    Wow ouch!
    That was painful to watch.
    Looks like it did take a bit of force to bend the phone.
    Yes, but I might add only a bit force, the phone could've been bent even more, but then he stopped when the phone bent a little
    09-24-2014 12:58 AM
    09-24-2014 01:54 AM
    Yes, but none of us thought it would happen. Now I would never ever buy an apple product. Too bad 👎
    09-24-2014 05:25 AM
    This is a PR disaster for Apple, worse than their last antenna one I would think. I wonder how they will deal with it.

https://www.hashtags.org/analytics/bendgate/
    ven07 likes this.
    09-24-2014 05:33 AM
    This is a PR disaster for Apple, worse than their last antenna one I would think. I wonder how they will deal with it.

https://www.hashtags.org/analytics/bendgate/
    They can't, they just can't. IPhone 6/6+ has already been launched, if say there were some software problems or something like that they might have dealt with it. But they can't deal with this one.
    Hence before announcing a phone, Nokia vigorously tests their phones, how much they can take, only then they are launched, hence Nokia has got a history of the most durable phones & others haven't.
    09-24-2014 06:45 AM
    This bending thing is insane, seems to be more and more cases reported!
    09-24-2014 06:51 AM
    Just saw a iPhone 6+ bend , they even tried it on a note 3 and it didn't bend with it ****y build.Apple screwed up bad!
    09-24-2014 06:53 AM
    This is so funny. Very poor phone material engineering. At least the screen doesn't crack on the vids I have seen but it's still pathetic engineering.

Bit like American cars vs European lol
    09-24-2014 06:56 AM
    Yes & now apple cannot do anything as iPhone 6/6+ are already launched.

Hence due to all this factors, Nokia does vigorous testing on their phones, only then its announced. Hence it has a history of the most durable phones.

This is so funny. Very poor phone material engineering. At least the screen doesn't crack on the vids I have seen but it's still pathetic engineering.

Bit like American cars vs European lol
    The screen would've cracked, but the reviewer stopped applying pressure when the phone was bent.
    Otherwise that iPhone could've been bent even more
    Last edited by Guytronic; 09-24-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    09-24-2014 06:57 AM
    For the stress he put it under I would have expected it to crack. There was considerable deformation to expect that. Still now the idorks are left in a world of pain.
    If MS had any sense they should be creating advertisements highlighting the durability of windows phones.

Haha I just looked at the 2nd video. Korea for the engineering win :)

7mm thick phones I guess they found the limit.
    Last edited by SAM 77; 09-24-2014 at 07:30 AM.
    09-24-2014 07:04 AM
    Is this really that big of a deal?
    09-24-2014 07:32 AM
    as an Avatar fan I am thinking that the Avatar must master phone bending in order to restore balance to the world.
    Luuk Tijssen, S Vaibhav and OwenDL like this.
    09-24-2014 07:37 AM
    Is this really that big of a deal?
    If you are going to buy an iPhone 6/6+ or if you already own one, then it surely is
    09-24-2014 07:37 AM
    @TonyDedrick Of course it is a big deal. The housing (body) is bendable which you think well ok not to bad but I can tell you that the MB is not made to bend. Not to mention with a warped device how will accessories fit properly, and docking station, charging station. Think about it.

Worst case scenario the battery bends beyond its break point and battery acid or whatever leaks and starts melting you phone and it catches on fire while you are in the shower and then your whole house catches on fire while your kids are asleep up stairs and you call the fire department to rescue your kids but realize you haven't ate dinner and order Jimmy Johns then JJ show up before the fire department does and your kids are toast. but thats just worst case scenario
    09-24-2014 07:38 AM
147 123 ...