I love Windows Phone, but...

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I came to Windows Phone family in August 2013, bought Nokia Lumia 920 and switched from my laggy Android phone - Huawei Ascend G300. I had really great time with my Lumia 920, especially when it comes to photography, but last month I noticed first problem with proximity sensor and also blurry images.

So I took my Lumia 920 to the store, it was repaired (bad USB connector). In next two weeks proximity sensor stopped working again, so I went again to the store. It was caused by "damaged OS" and repaired by reflashing again. Nothing else. Not one week and proximity sensor stopped working again, but only for 5 mins a day. Very hard to simulate. I asked for a refund, since it is the 3rd defect. Currently I am waiting for the opinion of the service center.

And not to mention about their "Gorilla Glass 2", which is in really bad condition after one year, display is full of micro scratches, Huawei Ascend G300 (which was like $200) is in really better condition (used for one year too).

If I get refund, I don't know, which phone should I get. I really love Windows Phone, but:

Lumia 920 ($270)
Not that bad really, if you get good unit, but it's kinda old now and still not the cheapest. Good camera. Snapdragon S4, 1GB RAM.

Lumia 925 ($280)
I like the design, the camera should not be worse than 920's. Same old hardware as 920: Snapdragon S4, 1GB RAM.

Lumia 930 ($620)
This one should be the current top model. I don't think so. It features Snapdragon 800 and 2GB RAM, that's good. It has AMOLED display, but there's no Glance Screen and from what I've heard the photo quality is unstable, providing worse results than Lumia 920 sometimes. Will get 4k video support in Lumia Denim.

Lumia 1020 ($390)
Best camera around! But hardware is old, Snapdragon S4, 2GB RAM. This device is near its EOL and will not benefit from next updates probably.

Lumia 1520 ($570)
This one HW is similar to Lumia 930's. As a bonus (or not for someone) there is 6" IPS LCD and slot for microSD cards. I think it's quite big for me.

Lumia 830 ($475)
This is overpriced phone for me. I think it should have much better HW for its price. It will not get the ability to record 4K video as it doesn't have required CPU. Picture quality will be probably worse than 920 & 930.

BlackBerry Z10 ($260)
A little surprise at the end. Personally I don't have any experience with BB 10 OS, but I don't condemn it. It has real multitasking, which seems to be good (max 8 apps running at background). Day light photos are comparable with iPhone 5, low light sucks. No manual settings for camera :( Also, the video (FullHD) sucks, because there is no optical stabilization (and the digital seems to make it even worse). But, for its price, it seems to be good choice with Snapdragon S4 CPU, 2GB RAM and microSD slot. I am afraid of lack of apps, but they support Android applications. Supports Czech text-to-speech. Now supports managing from PC (sending messages, etc.), I really miss this feature on Windows Phone, because the keyboard sucks (we have no WordFlow in Czech Republic). And don't forget about its price. With this one I could afford something like Canon SX240 HS (out of stock everywhere, but costed like $150 here) for taking better FullHD videos.

So... what do you think, what phone should I pick? I am really sorry for it, but I feel like Windows Phone has nothing to offer for me right now. No hate, please :)

And sorry for my English, I don't use it everyday, so I forgot a lot :(

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Personally (and I'm a Lumia photography nut) I think the 830 is the best route to go, I have the 1520 and IT IS NOT an upgrade to the 920's Camera.

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Awww, I was thinking about L1520 being the best choice, because it has IPS LCD, Glance Screen, same future-proof HW as L930. Honestly, I am not willing to pay $475 for L830, because I don't think it's future proof device... It's only about $50 cheaper than L1520, but far behind by specifications.

Here in Czech Republic you can get Lumia 1520 for about $525. But I am worried about the size and "not-too-good" camera quality. This is really hard decision... I wish they announce new device in near future, but it doesn't seem so :(

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the Icon (aka 929 aka 930) and daytime shots are certainly great versus my 928, but the 928 (another 920 variant like the 925 was) eats its lunch in low light situations.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm going up to the Icon (930) when upgrade time comes in January. Was looking forward to the 830, but the specs aren't what I'm looking for, and it's not coming to my carrier (Verizon) anyways.

For what it's worth, your English is perfectly understandable....better than a lot of native speakers :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes