No official YouTube app. And there never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
In case you have any doubt about Google not playing well with others, this blog article and the sources cited there will dispel any hope that we may one day see an official YouTube app:

Google is “tightening the screws” on Android to keep control over the web – Quartz

In a nutshell, Google is forcing Android device makers to make and sell Google phones. Android users won't have the option of replacing Google with Bing for web searches. Their phones will come with all the Google crApps on the Home Screen. They will "enjoy" total immersion into G-world. Why is Google so adamant about Android users using Google services? Because Google makes their money selling advertising. Most users aren't going to attempt to remove the tools that came with their phones. They'll see them as something that adds value. Adds value it does. For Google. All of Google's "free" services are just lures to get audience for advertisers. Advertisers who pay for impressions (the number of times their advert is displayed on user screens) or per click/tap (the number of times a user visits their website after seeing their advert on a Google or Google-affiliate page). Users are not their customers. Users are their product.

So don't expect to ever see a YouTube app on your Windows Phone. Despite the fact that would put a Google app on your phone and give them revenue from advertisers, the small-minded management at Google would rather maintain the illusion of app disparity. IMO, any user who chooses an Android phone because of the "official" apps available (including YouTube) deserves to be exploited by the Google bully.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I disagree that this specifically would prevent an official YouTube app and I believe they have had these restrictions in place for several months now. It's still highly unlikely we would get one anytime soon, and it's likely true that Google is not making WP apps in order to restrict WP market share but remember there are 2 types of Android licenses. The one that is described in the article that has all these restrictions, and also the forked one that Amazon and some other OEMs use. The forked ones are free to use Bing or anything else but they don't get access to the Google Play store. It appears that Samsung is starting to get fed up with the restrictions of the Google Play license and are experimenting with Tizen and may possibly even expand their WP lineup. If other platforms succeed, Google will offer their apps and services on them and shift their focus back to advertising, just like Microsoft offers on iOS and Android to maintain their software and cloud focus.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I disagree that this specifically would prevent an official YouTube app and I believe they have had these restrictions in place for several months now. It's still highly unlikely we would get one anytime soon, and it's likely true that Google is not making WP apps in order to restrict WP market share but remember there are 2 types of Android licenses. The one that is described in the article that has all these restrictions, and also the forked one that Amazon and some other OEMs use. The forked ones are free to use Bing or anything else but they don't get access to the Google Play store. It appears that Samsung is starting to get fed up with the restrictions of the Google Play license and are experimenting with Tizen and may possibly even expand their WP lineup. If other platforms succeed, Google will offer their apps and services on them and shift their focus back to advertising, just like Microsoft offers on iOS and Android to maintain their software and cloud focus.

The forked Android OSs can't be called Android... The name is owned by Google. (see Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, particularly section 6.1 about leverage) who choose to go forked OS will find themselves in the small market share boat. Their forked versions won't run apps that require Google proprietary services. Their users won't have the "Android experience." I don't think Samsung is going anywhere with Tizen. Offering 2 different Android OSs would confuse and diffuse their market share. But I think you're right about Samsung looking for alternatives to playing with Google's bat and ball -- that's possibly why we're seeing Samsung WP devices.

I think Microsoft was smart in making Windows licensing for small devices available free of charge. Ultimately, the more manufacturers who market a WP device, the larger the market share. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
While we can all sit here and go "oh noes, no YouTube", the link you posted is an antitrust breakup waiting to happen. The EU has already declared Google a worst anti-competitor than Microsoft ever was and has said that they're going to proceed with an antitrust investigation as soon as their current lawsuit is over. I fully expect either a) Android will be let go from Google's reigns and GMS will no longer continue to be all or none, along with every other service, where they'll HAVE to open them up, or b) Google is going to be broken up by antitrust regulators into Youtube, Google, and Android.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
The forked Android OSs can't be called Android... The name is owned by Google. (see Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, particularly section 6.1 about leverage) who choose to go forked OS will find themselves in the small market share boat. Their forked versions won't run apps that require Google proprietary services. Their users won't have the "Android experience." I don't think Samsung is going anywhere with Tizen. Offering 2 different Android OSs would confuse and diffuse their market share. But I think you're right about Samsung looking for alternatives to playing with Google's bat and ball -- that's possibly why we're seeing Samsung WP devices.

I think Microsoft was smart in making Windows licensing for small devices available free of charge. Ultimately, the more manufacturers who market a WP device, the larger the market share. A rising tide lifts all boats.

I don't think Google will license both types of licenses to the same OEM anyway. It's one or the other. That's probably why Samsung is messing around with Tizen and not a forked version of Android. Maybe Google will turn even more evil and only license Android to OEMs who will use it exclusively. Then they would really have regulatory problems.
I think Samsung wants to offer something different than the full Google experience (for example use HERE Maps instead of Google Maps) but at the same time, they don't want to risk losing customers if what they offer would result in missing apps. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
In case you have any doubt about Google not playing well with others, this blog article and the sources cited there will dispel any hope that we may one day see an official YouTube app:

Google is ?tightening the screws? on Android to keep control over the web ? Quartz

In a nutshell, Google is forcing Android device makers to make and sell Google phones. Android users won't have the option of replacing Google with Bing for web searches. Their phones will come with all the Google crApps on the Home Screen. They will "enjoy" total immersion into G-world. Why is Google so adamant about Android users using Google services? Because Google makes their money selling advertising. Most users aren't going to attempt to remove the tools that came with their phones. They'll see them as something that adds value. Adds value it does. For Google. All of Google's "free" services are just lures to get audience for advertisers. Advertisers who pay for impressions (the number of times their advert is displayed on user screens) or per click/tap (the number of times a user visits their website after seeing their advert on a Google or Google-affiliate page). Users are not their customers. Users are their product.

So don't expect to ever see a YouTube app on your Windows Phone. Despite the fact that would put a Google app on your phone and give them revenue from advertisers, the small-minded management at Google would rather maintain the illusion of app disparity. IMO, any user who chooses an Android phone because of the "official" apps available (including YouTube) deserves to be exploited by the Google bully.

I don't understand the issues here.

You said - "Google is forcing Android device makers to make and sell Google phones. Android users won't have the option of replacing Google with Bing for web searches. "

Isn't this case also applied with WP.
Can any manufacturer and user change search button to Google?
I don't think so. MS also forcing to use MS services.
I will ask you same thing
Why is MS so adamant about WP users using MS services?

Why Google do it because it's their bread and butter. If they don't do it in this cut throat competition they will be gone

And reason that YouTube apps isn't available because of same reason that MS Office isn't available for Linux.
Isn't this also make MS management small minded.

maxmap

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
You're just being fans... I've had Android devices, iPhones and now the Lumia 930. WP has its irritations as the other platforms do 2. I think Google gets a bad rap now they're much bigger. Let me just site a few examples of how the other guys behave too...

• Apple... Browser rendering Engine restrictions, Flash, only now 3rd party keyboards...
  • MS... 3rd Party keyboard, other browsers

BTW, isnt there some Nokia/MS Android devices out there? I think all these guys are trying to capitalise and you are being duped into the thinking that you become a product only when google is involved, YOU ARE A PRODUCT to all these guys. How many apps did you install on your phone that told you microsoft will get info on location or something else? And then for apple, they've been collecting location data from phones in some parts of the world in a sneaky way where you cant really turn off location services [and I have some experiences with this]...
:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm fully willing to admit that Google won't make or help Microsoft in making an official YouTube app, they've had their conflicts in the past.

But I don't understand what you have against Google promoting it's own services, I've been using Android devices for the past few years and they are extremely open to using Bing services.

I can still change my default search engine, in *GOOGLE* Chrome to Bing or the other options, but Microsoft is removing to option to change this in their newer Lumia devices.

Moving on you refer to many of the Google services as "crApps" but please talk to me when Internet Explorer, Bing, Bing Maps, Translate, Google Earth, YouTube have better alternatives from Microsoft.

Me and a lot of other people don't mind at all if Google promotes it's amazing services by putting them on your Android phone's homescreen or if they give you advertisements every now and then.

Google and Google's own mobile OS is still way more friendly to Microsoft services, compared to how friendly Microsoft is to Google services on Windows Phone.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the issues here.

You said - "Google is forcing Android device makers to make and sell Google phones. Android users won't have the option of replacing Google with Bing for web searches. "

Isn't this case also applied with WP.
Can any manufacturer and user change search button to Google?
I don't think so. MS also forcing to use MS services.
I will ask you same thing
Why is MS so adamant about WP users using MS services?

Why Google do it because it's their bread and butter. If they don't do it in this cut throat competition they will be gone

And reason that YouTube apps isn't available because of same reason that MS Office isn't available for Linux.
Isn't this also make MS management small minded.
Can you change the default maps app on Android from Google maps to something else? No. Can you came the default navigation app? No. Can you uninstall Gmail? No. You can use either here maps or Bing maps and also uninstall here maps on WP, unlike Android. The OEMs are free to add their own apps instead of MS ones.

As for the YouTube app, tell me, when MS took the effort and made the app by itself, why did Google reject it? Huh? I don't see Canonical taking the same effort for Office on Linux?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm fully willing to admit that Google won't make or help Microsoft in making an official YouTube app, they've had their conflicts in the past.

But I don't understand what you have against Google promoting it's own services, I've been using Android devices for the past few years and they are extremely open to using Bing services.

I can still change my default search engine, in *GOOGLE* Chrome to Bing or the other options, but Microsoft is removing to option to change this in their newer Lumia devices.

Moving on you refer to many of the Google services as "crApps" but please talk to me when Internet Explorer, Bing, Bing Maps, Translate, Google Earth, YouTube have better alternatives from Microsoft.

Me and a lot of other people don't mind at all if Google promotes it's amazing services by putting them on your Android phone's homescreen or if they give you advertisements every now and then.

Google and Google's own mobile OS is still way more friendly to Microsoft services, compared to how friendly Microsoft is to Google services on Windows Phone.
Ms is NOT removing the option! Just go to a local Nokia priority showroom and test a Lumia 530/630 for yourself. The option is still there! That news was a rumour.

We refer to chrome as crap because its been the prime cause of battery drain on laptops since 2010.(source-WPC.)
Also,I don't like my personal data going to 3rd party advertising companies, so I suddenly se my photo on a strange website.

What's wrong with internet explorer? Also, there are 3rd party alternatives available.
IE-uc browser, opera mini
Bing-you can change to Google I'd you want(I'm sure you do)
Bing maps-here maps. Far better than Google maps with offline navigation.
Bing translate and YouTube have so many alternatives. Just search the store.

Yeah right. You like getting jammed with ad notifications on your home screen while you're at Office? Or spam mails? Lol 99% of the world's people disagree with your opinion.

Microsoft is friendly to their services on all the other OS es, and Google is the exact opposite. MS made the effort to build a rivals app for a rival service on its own OS,eg YouTube. I don't see Google doing the same?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Ms is NOT removing the option! Just go to a local Nokia priority showroom and test a Lumia 530/630 for yourself. The option is still there! That news was a rumour.

We refer to chrome as crap because its been the prime cause of battery drain on laptops since 2010.(source-WPC.)
Also,I don't like my personal data going to 3rd party advertising companies, so I suddenly se my photo on a strange website.

What's wrong with internet explorer? Also, there are 3rd party alternatives available.
IE-uc browser, opera mini
Bing-you can change to Google I'd you want(I'm sure you do)
Bing maps-here maps. Far better than Google maps with offline navigation.
Bing translate and YouTube have so many alternatives. Just search the store.

Yeah right. You like getting jammed with ad notifications on your home screen while you're at Office? Or spam mails? Lol 99% of the world's people disagree with your opinion.

Microsoft is friendly to their services on all the other OS es, and Google is the exact opposite. MS made the effort to build a rivals app for a rival service on its own OS,eg YouTube. I don't see Google doing the same?

You do know that the same source from where you picked up the fact that Chrome is a battery hog, is the same site that told me the news that Windows Phone is removing to option to use Google as default search engine.

But even if Microsoft didn't remove that option, Google still gives Android users Waaayyy more freedom to choose their default search engine.

1411815836588.jpg

Plus Chrome hasn't been excessively draining any of my laptop battery, I've used it for hours and hours to view YouTube videos. There could definitely be people experiencing battery issues with Chrome, but not everyone add to that all the extra awesome extensions.

Images that you make public on OneDrive can also end up anywhere, also the images that you upload onto Facebook or the countless other social networks I'm sure you are on, why don't you complain then?

Even with all the browsers you have on Windows Phone, you still can't change the default to something other than Internet Explorer. Oh and you also can't change the default camera app to something other than what is made by your OEM or Microsoft, you can't change your default music player(Xbox Music), you also can't change your default video player(Xbox video), and how can we forget that you can't change your default launcher, SMS and Email app.

Your knowledge of Android is quite limited, because we can change most of our default apps from something other than what Google had intended us to use.

Google doesn't also jam my homescreen or notification center with ads, where'd you get that idea?

Bing Translate isn't even close to Google Translate, and a lot of countries, including mine aren't even supported by Bing Maps!

Microsoft is friendly in "sharing" many of it's services with other platforms, but doesn't even come close to how friendly Google(and Android) is in allowing you to use anything other than their own services:

1411816885026.jpg
1411816900100.jpg
1411816910830.jpg
1411816926090.jpg
1411816940159.jpg
1411816940159.jpg
1411816972488.jpg
1411816981959.jpg

Please tell me more about how Google "forces" you to use it's services and Microsoft doesn't, when clearly you can replace almost all Google services with 3rd party alternatives.

You can change your default maps app, we can pretty much change the default for everything.

The only place where I would criticize Google is how mean they we're to Microsoft regarding the YouTube app, Microsoft did most of the work but Google continually pulled them down.

But just a fair warning though, if Google wants it could torment Windows Phone users more by getting most 3rd party clients on Windows Phone removed because they are in conflict with YouTube's terms of service, so beware. 😉

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah this kind of topic.
Heh.

I will just leave this excellently written article here:
Google’s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary | Ars Technica

I'd also point the move of Hangouts to a proprietary protocol and locking that down.
Google Voice third-party APIs were killed due to "security" reasons and it might be rolled into Hangouts.

Service lock-in is the end game, whenever that is.

The way I see it, whatever company on top does its thing (Google used to trumpet standards, MS was so-called evil a decade or two ago) but things change. People come and go, organizations change, situations change.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
@salmanahmed

Chrome uses 12 processes on Windows. See the task manager. A simple browser uses 12 processes? And a massive company like Google can't fix this in 4 years? Shame.

OneDrive photos don't show up anywhere on the web. I thought you were literate enough to read the terms and conditions before signing up?

You absolutely wrong here. I can pretty much choose which kind of app will open a particular file or service. Since you own an Android now,I would advise you to actually test a WP 8.1 device before complaining about wp here at WPC.
Open the files app, or download any content through IE. Then,
1) for XML files, it asks me whether to open in IE or UC Browser.
2) for music files, asks me whether to play in mix radio, Xbox music or moliplayer pro.
3) for videos,asks me whether to open in Xbox videos or moliplayer pro.
4) for photos, asks me whether to open in Lumia creative studio, Nokia camera, photo hub, Lumia selfie or 4blend HDR.
5) for PDF files,asks me whether to open on PDF reader or Adobe reader.
6) and other n no. Of examples......

Tell me, can you uninstall the Gmail app? The Google maps app? Navigation? File manager? No? So much for Androids so called "customizability".

You are the one who said Google puts advertisements every now and then, now you are back tracking? Wow. Besides, Gmail gets a lot of spam and ad emails, I don't like the situation when my phone rings a notification for the umpteenth time just to see that I've a spam email in my inbox.
Also,a lot of apps on Android give you ads even when the app is closed. Also many apps her installed automatically, when I was just trying to install a single app. For example,I was trying to install a call blocker(which by the way is not present by default on Android.) and mobogenie for installed too. WTH?

That's highly subjective. I personally prefer Bing translate to Google translate.

Finally, to replicate your final statement in a reverse situation which is also possible-
"But a fair warning tho, MS may block Skype on Android if it wishes to, so hike had better give WP users their YouTube app ��

Last edited by a moderator:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmed

Chrome uses 12 processes on Windows. See the task manager. A simple browser uses 12 processes? And a massive company like Google can't fix this in 4 years? Shame.

OneDrive photos don't show up anywhere on the web. I thought you were literate enough to read the terms and conditions before signing up?

You absolutely wrong here. I can pretty much choose which kind of app will open a particular file or service. Since you own an Android now,I would advise you to actually test a WP 8.1 device before complaining about wp here at WPC.
Open the files app, or download any content through IE. Then,
1) for XML files, it asks me whether to open in IE or UC Browser.
2) for music files, asks me whether to play in mix radio, Xbox music or moliplayer pro.
3) for videos,asks me whether to open in Xbox videos or moliplayer pro.
4) for photos, asks me whether to open in Lumia creative studio, Nokia camera, photo hub, Lumia selfie or 4blend HDR.
5) for PDF files,asks me whether to open on PDF reader or Adobe reader.
6) and other n no. Of examples......

Tell me, can you uninstall the Gmail app? The Google maps app? Navigation? File manager? No? So much for Androids so called "customizability".

You are the one who said Google puts advertisements every now and then, now you are back tracking? Wow. Besides, Gmail gets a lot of spam and ad emails, I don't like the situation when my phone rings a notification for the umpteenth time just to see that I've a spam email in my inbox.
Also,a lot of apps on Android give you ads even when the app is closed. Also many apps her installed automatically, when I was just trying to install a single app. For example,I was trying to install a call blocker(which by the way is not present by default on Android.) and mobogenie for installed too. WTH?

That's highly subjective. I personally prefer Bing translate to Google translate.

Finally, to replicate your final statement in a reverse situation which is also possible-
"But a fair warning tho, MS may block Skype on Android if it wishes to, so hike had better give WP users their YouTube app ��

As far as processes that Chrome uses, we aren't supposed to discuss the Windows version here but I'll check the processes it uses on my laptop later.

But if we discuss the mobile version, the Chrome browser simply beats the Internet Explorer primarily because of how fast it is, tab switching is a massive pain in the *** on Windows Phone (maybe it's a little better on higher end devices). But apart from that you should use the Android L version of Google Chrome on Android, it's absolutely beautiful oh and you can save videos and songs pretty easily.

As far as Google+ photos being uploaded or being used on ads, here's a good answer:

1411842864221.jpg

I know that there are certain places where you can set a default app, for example when viewing PDFs. But in others you are wrong, can you go to settings and change the default camera app that launches from the shutter button(or notification shortcut) and whenever you click a YouTube link in Internet Explorer does it take you to any of your YouTube apps?

Moving on can you show me some proof like I did? How do you go onto change the default media player, music player and browser, camera app?

And Android is still "customizable" even if there are apps you can't uninstall, you can always:

A) Not use the apps at all or disable them completely.

B) If you are very very serious about not using any of Google's services you can root and use the phone without any of them, you can also do this without root though.

Call and SMS blockers are available on certain Windows Phones, not all of them and similarly they are found on some Android skins but not all.

And MoboGenie or any other app can't install without your permission, Android also doesn't let you install any apps that aren't from the Play Store unless you specifically enable Unknown sources.

In the end, the simple answer is no. Microsoft can't just simply stop the Skype service on Android because it'll be career suicide for them.

They dropped support for Windows Phone 7, but continue to support Android versions 2.x.x, and Microsoft also releases many of apps and services first of Android/iOS, even they often give priority to OSes that have more marketshare.

But Google can easily get rid of most(if not all) 3rd party clients, if it wanted to.

Again, I don't like what Google has done with the whole YouTube on Windows Phone issue but abusing Google like a lot of people here do, won't improve your chances and you should know that Google could torment the Windows Phone community more if it wanted to. So be careful. ��

Last edited by a moderator:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Plus I have two Gmail accounts, Google didn't force me to use it but I did because the app was amazing. I haven't have had any problems with spam.

1411843474879.jpg
1411843487707.jpg

Plus I agreed that yes Google gave ads, but I see them only on YouTube my homescreen and notification center isn't littered with ads. So you are wrong there.

labsii

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site

You can call Android fork Android. Even Nokia/Microsoft does. It does have Android experience as it is using Android for the hell. It doesn't have Google Play, but remember Google Play has not even existed in original Android, and Google Play is NOT part of the Android, but something else, don't want to bother with details...

labsii

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site

Google is “tightening the screws” on Android to keep control over the web – Quartz

I really don't see connection between title and the text below.

Google will launch official Youtube app if it has to. It has official app for iPhone. And even Xbox. At this point, Windows (phone) 8 is not so big that Google has that luxury that it can ignore it if it wants. But with Threshold all might change in just a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster