No official YouTube app. And there never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I read somewhere on WPCentral how to get the official YouTube app that Google pulled. Search on Google, "old YouTube app WP" and click on the link that says "Here's how to get the old YouTube app that was pulled by Google | Windows Phone Central".

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
@salmanahmed

Chrome uses 12 processes on Windows. See the task manager. A simple browser uses 12 processes? And a massive company like Google can't fix this in 4 years? Shame.

AFAIK it is how the sandbox works like. There is nothing to be fixed. Every single process in Task Manager is a something running in Chrome (plugin, tab, extension etc).

misterff1

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Google will launch official Youtube app if it has to. It has official app for iPhone. And even Xbox. At this point, Windows (phone) 8 is not so big that Google has that luxury that it can ignore it if it wants. But with Threshold all might change in just a few months.

If Google starts using generic excuses to why it is not released and give false accusations to MS, then don't count on them releasing anything until they REALLY have to. No Google product will be found on WP (except for their dumb placeholder for search) until they are forced to do so by the market or by order of the court.

Personally I was a Google ****** and a MS hater until I decided to look objectively on how things work. And sure, MS has its mistakes but ever since I looked objectively to things I started HATING Google. I now refuse to use any Google service until they get their sh*t together. And yes, when they do that ill gladly come back to them. Sad truth is... No improvement in sight. gg Google...gg

misterff1

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK it is how the sandbox works like. There is nothing to be fixed. Every single process in Task Manager is a something running in Chrome (plugin, tab, extension etc).

Yup, they are plugin containers, tabs, extentions, privacy invading processes and even more privacy invading processes. That's just how chrome works. Thank god I don't use that crap anymore. Serious tip, use Firefox. It's faster than Chrome lately and looks and feels pretty much the same.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
In case you have any doubt about Google not playing well with others, this blog article and the sources cited there will dispel any hope that we may one day see an official YouTube app:

Google is ?tightening the screws? on Android to keep control over the web ? Quartz

In a nutshell, Google is forcing Android device makers to make and sell Google phones. Android users won't have the option of replacing Google with Bing for web searches. Their phones will come with all the Google crApps on the Home Screen. They will "enjoy" total immersion into G-world. Why is Google so adamant about Android users using Google services? Because Google makes their money selling advertising. ...the Google bully.

Good job my favorite nerdy woman. I saw that story reading Dailyaha app about placement of google services on all android devices. From this I can't tell but whats up but there is a much bigger story behind this move more than an icon adjustment.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Google requires you to create a Gmail account to use to their services. A Gmail account then required a Google+ account though I think this might have changed very recently. You still need a Google+ account for YouTube and I believe Hangouts too. Basically they are forcing you to have an e-mail address and social networking account with them whether you want to or not. There are other things like if one Gmail user sends an e-mail with an attachment to another Gmail user, it forces you to become Google+ connected before allowing the e-mail to go through. Basically they know they can't compete with Facebook so they are just doing whatever they can to force users onto their Google+ service.
With Microsoft and Apple, all you need is to create a Microsoft account or Apple ID and you can use your own e-mail address if you do not want to use their e-mail, and then you can use the account or ID with any services you choose to do so.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I for one don't care if we ever see a youtube app. There are many 3rd party options and with WP 8.1 videos play in ie.

Way back when I signed up for gmail and g+...but I haven't ever used them. So they haven't really skimmed much data from me.

I have very good services from Microsoft to not need any google anything. I did try 2 Android tablets and both were sold off and replaced with Windows Tablets.

I've even replaced Chrome Browser with Opera and ie on my PC's

Life can be lived without Google.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
M.YouTube.com has worked fine for me for years, I've never felt left out because I didn't have an 'app' to access web content.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It was used to make a broader point.

She went on a tangent about Google turning Android into "Google phones".. well yeah, they are Google phones. It's their OS, and they have policies they're putting in place if device makers want to use their apps. There is an AOSP version of Android that anyone can use if they'd like to skip out on Google services.

This still has absolutely nothing to do with a YouTube app coming or not coming to Windows Phone.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Can you change the default maps app on Android from Google maps to something else? No. Can you came the default navigation app? No. Can you uninstall Gmail? No. You can use either here maps or Bing maps and also uninstall here maps on WP, unlike Android. The OEMs are free to add their own apps instead of MS ones.

As for the YouTube app, tell me, when MS took the effort and made the app by itself, why did Google reject it? Huh? I don't see Canonical taking the same effort for Office on Linux?

Are you really a WP user?

Sorry but this question is obvious seeing your lack of knowledge.
I think myself as below average user but I know few things about WP which every WP user know but you don't .

The purpose of Smartphone OS(specially company like Google & MS) is to straighten their services.

now about your comment.
First of all HERE MAP is Nokia map not MS app. We are talking about MS & Google here.
Now MS is forcing users(more than Google) to use their services.
Can you Uninstall
Xbox Music, games.video
Maps
Outlook
OneDrive etc.

You can't.
MS do not allow that to any manufacturer or users.
Atleast Google is little better in this allowing users to change default apps.

So, actually it's MS which is much more worse than Google regarding this flexibility thing.

Last edited:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
looks like this thread is filled with google defenders :D
chill out people,we dont own MS,google etc
we are consumers why cover up for their mistakes,lets just enjoy our products

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I think myself as below average user but I know few things about WP which every WP user know but you don't .

The purpose of Smartphone OS(specially company like Google & MS) is to straighten their services.

now about your comment.
First of all HERE MAP is Nokia map not MS app. We are talking about MS & Google here.
Can you Uninstall
Xbox Music, games.video
Maps
Outlook
OneDrive etc.

You can't.

So, actually it's MS which is much more worse than Google regarding this thing.

the difference is google forces you to use subpar services and nonsensical google + and hangouts
they sell your data and info to companies for ads
i understand companies need to make money but ads should be optional like MS who offers advertising id to turn off ads

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Plus I have two Gmail accounts, Google didn't force me to use it but I did because the app was amazing. I haven't have had any problems with spam.

View attachment 82643
View attachment 82644

Plus I agreed that yes Google gave ads, but I see them only on YouTube my homescreen and notification center isn't littered with ads. So you are wrong there.

you arguement about emails is wrong
theres no spam on outlook,yahoo either
gmail is poorly designed and complicated compared to outlook

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

now about your comment.
Can you Uninstall
Xbox Music, games.video
Maps
Outlook
OneDrive etc.

You can't.

So, actually it's MS which is much more worse than Google regarding this flexibility thing.
Hahah you ask me if I'm a WP user. I'd you have actually owned a WP, you know that you can choose the app with which you want to open a specific file. Open the files app, or download any content from the web. Open the file. Then
Open the files app, or download any content through IE. Then,
1) for XML files, it asks me whether to open in IE or UC Browser.
2) for music files, asks me whether to play in mix radio, Xbox music or moliplayer pro.
3) for videos,asks me whether to open in Xbox videos or moliplayer pro.
4) for photos, asks me whether to open in Lumia creative studio, Nokia camera, photo hub, Lumia selfie or 4blend HDR.
5) for PDF files,asks me whether to open on PDF reader or Adobe reader.
6) and other n no. Of examples......

First buy a WP before commenting here.
You can't uninstall Google drive, Google play music, etc in Android phones to. Also MS has a generic email app, whereas Google has a Gmail app and a generic app. Why both? I don't see Google giving flexibly in this area. There is no games hub in Android, as compared to WP. The sole purpose of the games hub was to have a single places for all your games, not Xbox promotion. Same goes for the music and video app, unlike Google.

What flexibility does Google offer over MS? I'm curious.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
You do know that the same source from where you picked up the fact that Chrome is a battery hog, is the same site that told me the news that Windows Phone is removing to option to use Google as default search engine.

But even if Microsoft didn't remove that option, Google still gives Android users Waaayyy more freedom to choose their default search engine.

View attachment 82600

Plus Chrome hasn't been excessively draining any of my laptop battery, I've used it for hours and hours to view YouTube videos. There could definitely be people experiencing battery issues with Chrome, but not everyone add to that all the extra awesome extensions.

Images that you make public on OneDrive can also end up anywhere, also the images that you upload onto Facebook or the countless other social networks I'm sure you are on, why don't you complain then?

Even with all the browsers you have on Windows Phone, you still can't change the default to something other than Internet Explorer. Oh and you also can't change the default camera app to something other than what is made by your OEM or Microsoft, you can't change your default music player(Xbox Music), you also can't change your default video player(Xbox video), and how can we forget that you can't change your default launcher, SMS and Email app.

Your knowledge of Android is quite limited, because we can change most of our default apps from something other than what Google had intended us to use.

Google doesn't also jam my homescreen or notification center with ads, where'd you get that idea?

Bing Translate isn't even close to Google Translate, and a lot of countries, including mine aren't even supported by Bing Maps!

Microsoft is friendly in "sharing" many of it's services with other platforms, but doesn't even come close to how friendly Google(and Android) is in allowing you to use anything other than their own services:

View attachment 82601
View attachment 82602
View attachment 82603
View attachment 82604
View attachment 82605
View attachment 82605
View attachment 82606
View attachment 82607

Please tell me more about how Google "forces" you to use it's services and Microsoft doesn't, when clearly you can replace almost all Google services with 3rd party alternatives.

You can change your default maps app, we can pretty much change the default for everything.

The only place where I would criticize Google is how mean they we're to Microsoft regarding the YouTube app, Microsoft did most of the work but Google continually pulled them down.

But just a fair warning though, if Google wants it could torment Windows Phone users more by getting most 3rd party clients on Windows Phone removed because they are in conflict with YouTube's terms of service, so beware. 😉

You just showed an example where all but 2 pics depicted nothing but Google/Android APPS!!! So where's the diversity in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750