09-29-2014 12:45 PM
83 1234
tools
    All this BS about focus speed and low light performance is stupid. I don't think that a professional photographer worries about the length of time it takes to auto focus. They use MANUAL focus for a reason. Plus for low light, they would again use the manual controls.
    Focus speed and low light performance is actually very important. DSLR shooters highly appreciate both these factors. The latest Pro Nikon/Canon DSLRs go upwards of 200,000 ISO and yea that shot would be full of noise, but it means a photo shot at 5000 ISO would be perfectly usable. That's down to better sensor technology. And fast auto focus lens speeds are vital in Sports photography, or anything similar with erratic subjects.

As with anything tech, the specs will either mean a lot, or very little to people. But they do show technical advances as products evolve.
    khunhorm and mkmarine like this.
    09-28-2014 07:22 AM
    Appreciate your points, but the BS I was referring to is PHONE cameras..

Obviously if you are going to photograph sports events, or any other high speed action, your first thought is not going to be, "I'll buy a Lumia 635..".
    You would buy a pro camera designed for the job. Same with any other 'pro' photo situations. you won't buy a phone, you would putchase a Nikon or the like. Designed specifically for taking high quality shots.

Phones on cameras are a great convenience, but quoting speed of focus, focal lengths or low light perfromance is moot.... A phone is an all round device, so quality of photos is going to be variable.
    09-28-2014 07:38 AM
    Appreciate your points, but the BS I was referring to is PHONE cameras..

Obviously if you are going to photograph sports events, or any other high speed action, your first thought is not going to be, "I'll buy a Lumia 635..".
    You would buy a pro camera designed for the job. Same with any other 'pro' photo situations. you won't buy a phone, you would putchase a Nikon or the like. Designed specifically for taking high quality shots.

Phones on cameras are a great convenience, but quoting speed of focus, focal lengths or low light perfromance is moot.... A phone is an all round device, so quality of photos is going to be variable.
    Correct but the same applies to "Phone" cameras too, because other manufactures are showing that it is possible to have a fast camera, with fast focus, and low light capabilities.

The difference would be missing that perfect shot because the camera software took too long to start, getting blurry images cause it missed the focus, or getting a grain fest cause the camera sensor is rubbish in low light situations.

DSLR or Smartphone camera, all the above would make for much less keepers.

Just to go back to DSLRs, I have an old D200. Great with a nice lens in lit conditions, but don't bother if you have to use anything above 800 ISO.

This is why camera's specs, what ever the device, is very important.
    09-28-2014 08:15 AM
    i don't think iphone 6 will beat the 920! 920's camera is so well made!
    09-28-2014 09:06 AM
    Cult of Android - iPhone 6 beats its biggest rivals in smartphone camera tests

I'm not entirely sure how the tests we're conducted nor how genuine they are, I'll try to read more about them as soon as I get home.

But what are your impressions of this test?
    wow you really hate windows phone and really believe in these "experts"
    09-28-2014 10:41 AM
    How does this have anything to do with Android?

But I'm not talking about Android here, nor have I said that the tests looked genuine to me, I just wanted the opinion of what Windows Phone users thought of this.

I'm willing to wait for some more detailed camera comparisons that will come soon.

But this thread has nothing to do with whether I like Android or not.
    If the tests didn't look genuine, why even to bother post it here, so that people can curse you?
    You didn't talk of Android, but now more & more people are learning that you are an Android fan i.e wp hater
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-28-2014 10:46 AM
    wow you really hate windows phone and really believe in these "experts"
    Read my post again, I asked for your impressions of the test and to get some feedback, I didn't say that I believed the tests to be true nor did I say I hated Windows Phone.

If the tests didn't look genuine, why even to bother post it here, so that people can curse you?
    You didn't talk of Android, but now more & more people are learning that you are an Android fan i.e wp hater
    Oh my God, I wanted to ask the Windows Phone community about what they thought about this, I ended the title of this thread with a question mark and read my post again.

No one has yet cursed me, I've gotten some pretty interesting links for better camera comparisons between the iPhone and Lumia devices.

And your ending statement has *ZERO* relevance in this thread, cry me a river about it for all I care.
    09-28-2014 11:04 AM
    The best way to determine how close the IPhone 6 to the Lumia 1020 is using GSMARENA.com tool
    Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com
    Make sure to scale the picture to 8mp or to 5mp. :D

In my opinion the IPhone 6 is amazingly close but not quite. although the Slow-mo / Panorama/ video focusing are all admittedly better on the IPhone 6.
    09-28-2014 11:05 AM
    PureView Club does great comparisons as usual.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-28-2014 11:10 AM
    Read my post again, I asked for your impressions of the test and to get some feedback, I didn't say that I believed the tests to be true nor did I say I hated Windows Phone.

Oh my God, I wanted to ask the Windows Phone community about what they thought about this, I ended the title of this thread with a question mark and read my post again.

No one has yet cursed me, I've gotten some pretty interesting links for better camera comparisons between the iPhone and Lumia devices.

And your ending statement has *ZERO* relevance in this thread, cry me a river about it for all I care.
    What impressions you want? What feedback? That all this is crap, haven't enough of them posted here. See internet is a huge place of all this crap, doesn't mean anyone starts posting such results which is a total rubbish. I can't say who've cursed you. People think differently & post here differently(without offensive words)
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-28-2014 11:20 AM
    What impressions you want? What feedback? That all this is crap, haven't enough of them posted here. See internet is a huge place of all this crap, doesn't mean anyone starts posting such results which is a total rubbish. I can't say who've cursed you. People think differently & post here differently(without offensive words)
    I didn't know of the PureView Club before I asked you guys, I thank Sonu K for that and I've also gotten a whole lot of other resources for camera comparisons.

Simply because I gave you a link, you could Email the writer of the article that he's wrong.

I brought attention to the article and asked for your insight, I don't see how that is wrong.
    09-28-2014 11:37 AM
    People's lives today revolve around cameras on phones.
    I don't care. The camera on my 1520 is just a bonus.

I would still rather carry my bulky Nikon D7000.

JamesPTao likes this.
    09-28-2014 03:38 PM
    The PureView link was a much truer test than the one posted by OP. It showed how accurate the focus is on the new iPhone, but how solid the Lumia phones are. Typically more detail. And rightly the 1020 is the best camera but the iPhone does put on a good show.

Hopefully Denim can speed up the camera apps to iPhone performance and add those 4K features. I'd love it if Microsoft can somehow remove the focus seeking in video that goes on with the Lumia's too.
    09-28-2014 05:24 PM
    09-28-2014 05:30 PM
    The best way to determine how close the IPhone 6 to the Lumia 1020 is using GSMARENA.com tool
    Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com
    Make sure to scale the picture to 8mp or to 5mp. :D

In my opinion the IPhone 6 is amazingly close but not quite. although the Slow-mo / Panorama/ video focusing are all admittedly better on the IPhone 6.
    That is a really useful tool and pulls out something I noticed on the first comparison shots I saw elsewhere: The iPhone 6 has a LOT more noise than any of the Lumia cameras. I guess they are trying to leave in detail so photos are not soft, but doesn't look great.

I was surprised how good the 930 was, at least from a detail perspective.
    Nabkawe5 likes this.
    09-28-2014 05:35 PM
    How does this have anything to do with Android?

But I'm not talking about Android here, nor have I said that the tests looked genuine to me, I just wanted the opinion of what Windows Phone users thought of this.

I'm willing to wait for some more detailed camera comparisons that will come soon.

But this thread has nothing to do with whether I like Android or not.
    I wrote this response and decided to delete it. There is no answer to your question I can give you salmanahmad. Carry on.
    psoham777 and Karthik Naik like this.
    09-28-2014 06:23 PM
    That is a really useful tool and pulls out something I noticed on the first comparison shots I saw elsewhere: The iPhone 6 has a LOT more noise than any of the Lumia cameras. I guess they are trying to leave in detail so photos are not soft, but doesn't look great.

I was surprised how good the 930 was, at least from a detail perspective.
    A lot of it has to do with the fact that it uses a smaller sensor on the iPhone which generates more noise.
    09-28-2014 07:12 PM
    Those camera tests are always biased and based on a bunch of different factors. For example, the fact that the iPhone can shoot a photo much faster than the 1020 (because it has a hell of a lot less info to process) is enough to give the iPhone extra points. The fact that the iPhone comes with things like HDR built-in and the 1020 doesn't is another thing they use to give extra points to the iPhone.

These tests seldom rely exclusively on quality of camera per se. And then they rely on the tastes of the tester. If I like cool photos more than warmer photos, I'll give higher points to the phone with cooler photos, for example. Those kinds of things.
    JamesPTao, Karthik Naik and Jazmac like this.
    09-28-2014 08:43 PM
    Those camera tests are always biased and based on a bunch of different factors. For example, the fact that the iPhone can shoot a photo much faster than the 1020 (because it has a hell of a lot less info to process) is enough to give the iPhone extra points. The fact that the iPhone comes with things like HDR built-in and the 1020 doesn't is another thing they use to give extra points to the iPhone.

These tests seldom rely exclusively on quality of camera per se. And then they rely on the tastes of the tester. If I like cool photos more than warmer photos, I'll give higher points to the phone with cooler photos, for example. Those kinds of things.
    Amen. I see this all the time in the camera industry with certain professional reviewers giving horrible lens high ratings. Unfortunately most of these people are either not qualified to do what they do or have an inherent bias and will skew the criteria to give one make a better score (think jd power and associates).
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-28-2014 10:01 PM
    tried an iphone in an mac store and just to be truthfully is not funny the camera of IOS just is crap do not let me set up almost anything, just had HDR thing that do not and would never use because produces unreal pictures colors and also flash on/off/auto, i just find the setting too bad as for an professional which also wants set the camera setting as if were an SLR if well the results are ok, but i find that Nokia in general have done very good phones cameras and still i have an lumia 820 and i love the nokia camera because can compose the picture instead of trust in auto modes in fact for no time and quick situations use the auto mode if not i just set the settings in pro mode also Apple have not any phone which their lens be the world best one like is the Carl Zeiss one which beats to any phone by the optics of excellent quality, also an professional will not really care about the image because just make and compose the image for get the best results.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-28-2014 11:18 PM
    You meant "**** of android" :D
    Cult of Android - iPhone 6 beats its biggest rivals in smartphone camera tests

I'm not entirely sure how the tests we're conducted nor how genuine they are, I'll try to read more about them as soon as I get home.

But what are your impressions of this test?
    09-28-2014 11:32 PM

your comments say otherwise
    09-29-2014 01:09 AM
    your comments say otherwise
    It doesn't matter, he won't understand. Before posting this thread he didn't even realize that 1020 has 5 times more megapixels than iPhone 6. He might not be knowing that 925 already beat iPhone 5 in every aspects or 5s in most of the aspects(especially in low light) even if he said that iphone 6 beats 830, even that can't be true as with latest Lumia denim, camera is much better & has more features. He'll just argue that he needs more knowledge on pureview. Well I think Google or Bing couldn't satisfy him.

& if he really wanted to know more about pureview, the title of this thread should be different! He just keeps bashing wp in every thread & would never accept it.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-29-2014 01:18 AM
    I've said this a few times to others and in other threads, and although I am genuinely surprised with the results of the iPhone 6's camera (but seriously, the 930s/1020s sensor is a year old) I will repeat it again:

As an everyday, consumer-bourne camera for most consumers who just want a phone with a camera that can produce decent photos and do a decent job of capturing moments etc, the iPhone more than suits the job. The 930 and 1520 start to lean more towards a more camera-centric user, and the 1020 is for users who are willing/knowledgeable to spend a few more seconds tweaking settings and aligning shots to get photos that can easily trump any other phone out there (seriously), and even then Nokia phones can shoot in RAW so things like white balance and lenses distortion can be fixed.

Remember though, most consumers want a phone with a camera that can point-and-shoot and take a decent photo - to be honest I think the 1020 vs. the iPhone 6 would lose as an everyday camera - the processing times, the slight white balance issues and slow autofocus would let it down. As a camera though, for photos that are meant to appreciated on TVs, canvas or monitors (opinion: iPhone photos look waaaay too saturated and contrasting on bigger screens), the 1020 can create spectacular results, and with a user that knows what they are doing, can easily trump the iPhone's photos. A racecar is only as good as the driver :P
    09-29-2014 04:33 AM
    It doesn't matter, he won't understand. Before posting this thread he didn't even realize that 1020 has 5 times more megapixels than iPhone 6. He might not be knowing that 925 already beat iPhone 5 in every aspects or 5s in most of the aspects(especially in low light) even if he said that iphone 6 beats 830, even that can't be true as with latest Lumia denim, camera is much better & has more features. He'll just argue that he needs more knowledge on pureview. Well I think Google or Bing couldn't satisfy him.

& if he really wanted to know more about pureview, the title of this thread should be different! He just keeps bashing wp in every thread & would never accept it.
    First of all megapixels are just part of an equation, just because one camera has more megapixels than another doesn't mean it's better, in fact putting more megapixels on a smaller sensor starts to degrade quality.

My thread was shaped as a question to simply ask people what they thought, I didn't bring Android into the equation nor did I say that the iPhone 6 had a better camera.

I also did not bring the 925 into this thread, but since you mentioned it a camera comparison conducted by WPCentral itself found that the 925 couldn't beat an iPhone 5S.

http://m.windowscentral.com/camera-s...and-lumia-1020

Please don't bring things that aren't on topic and embarrass yourself in all threads.
    09-29-2014 06:52 AM
83 1234