The iPhone 6 beats the Lumia 1020 in camera tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
How does this have anything to do with Android?

But I'm not talking about Android here, nor have I said that the tests looked genuine to me, I just wanted the opinion of what Windows Phone users thought of this.

I'm willing to wait for some more detailed camera comparisons that will come soon.

But this thread has nothing to do with whether I like Android or not.

I wrote this response and decided to delete it. There is no answer to your question I can give you salmanahmad. Carry on.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
That is a really useful tool and pulls out something I noticed on the first comparison shots I saw elsewhere: The iPhone 6 has a LOT more noise than any of the Lumia cameras. I guess they are trying to leave in detail so photos are not soft, but doesn't look great.

I was surprised how good the 930 was, at least from a detail perspective.
A lot of it has to do with the fact that it uses a smaller sensor on the iPhone which generates more noise.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Those camera tests are always biased and based on a bunch of different factors. For example, the fact that the iPhone can shoot a photo much faster than the 1020 (because it has a hell of a lot less info to process) is enough to give the iPhone extra points. The fact that the iPhone comes with things like HDR built-in and the 1020 doesn't is another thing they use to give extra points to the iPhone.

These tests seldom rely exclusively on quality of camera per se. And then they rely on the tastes of the tester. If I like cool photos more than warmer photos, I'll give higher points to the phone with cooler photos, for example. Those kinds of things.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Those camera tests are always biased and based on a bunch of different factors. For example, the fact that the iPhone can shoot a photo much faster than the 1020 (because it has a hell of a lot less info to process) is enough to give the iPhone extra points. The fact that the iPhone comes with things like HDR built-in and the 1020 doesn't is another thing they use to give extra points to the iPhone.

These tests seldom rely exclusively on quality of camera per se. And then they rely on the tastes of the tester. If I like cool photos more than warmer photos, I'll give higher points to the phone with cooler photos, for example. Those kinds of things.
Amen. I see this all the time in the camera industry with certain professional reviewers giving horrible lens high ratings. Unfortunately most of these people are either not qualified to do what they do or have an inherent bias and will skew the criteria to give one make a better score (think jd power and associates).

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
tried an iphone in an mac store and just to be truthfully is not funny the camera of IOS just is crap do not let me set up almost anything, just had HDR thing that do not and would never use because produces unreal pictures colors and also flash on/off/auto, i just find the setting too bad as for an professional which also wants set the camera setting as if were an SLR if well the results are ok, but i find that Nokia in general have done very good phones cameras and still i have an lumia 820 and i love the nokia camera because can compose the picture instead of trust in auto modes in fact for no time and quick situations use the auto mode if not i just set the settings in pro mode also Apple have not any phone which their lens be the world best one like is the Carl Zeiss one which beats to any phone by the optics of excellent quality, also an professional will not really care about the image because just make and compose the image for get the best results.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Read my post again, I asked for your impressions of the test and to get some feedback, I didn't say that I believed the tests to be true nor did I say I hated Windows Phone.

Oh my God, I wanted to ask the Windows Phone community about what they thought about this, I ended the title of this thread with a question mark and read my post again.

No one has yet cursed me, I've gotten some pretty interesting links for better camera comparisons between the iPhone and Lumia devices.

And your ending statement has *ZERO* relevance in this thread, cry me a river about it for all I care.

your comments say otherwise

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
your comments say otherwise

It doesn't matter, he won't understand. Before posting this thread he didn't even realize that 1020 has 5 times more megapixels than iPhone 6. He might not be knowing that 925 already beat iPhone 5 in every aspects or 5s in most of the aspects(especially in low light) even if he said that iphone 6 beats 830, even that can't be true as with latest Lumia denim, camera is much better & has more features. He'll just argue that he needs more knowledge on pureview. Well I think Google or Bing couldn't satisfy him.

& if he really wanted to know more about pureview, the title of this thread should be different! He just keeps bashing wp in every thread & would never accept it.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've said this a few times to others and in other threads, and although I am genuinely surprised with the results of the iPhone 6's camera (but seriously, the 930s/1020s sensor is a year old) I will repeat it again:

As an everyday, consumer-bourne camera for most consumers who just want a phone with a camera that can produce decent photos and do a decent job of capturing moments etc, the iPhone more than suits the job. The 930 and 1520 start to lean more towards a more camera-centric user, and the 1020 is for users who are willing/knowledgeable to spend a few more seconds tweaking settings and aligning shots to get photos that can easily trump any other phone out there (seriously), and even then Nokia phones can shoot in RAW so things like white balance and lenses distortion can be fixed.

Remember though, most consumers want a phone with a camera that can point-and-shoot and take a decent photo - to be honest I think the 1020 vs. the iPhone 6 would lose as an everyday camera - the processing times, the slight white balance issues and slow autofocus would let it down. As a camera though, for photos that are meant to appreciated on TVs, canvas or monitors (opinion: iPhone photos look waaaay too saturated and contrasting on bigger screens), the 1020 can create spectacular results, and with a user that knows what they are doing, can easily trump the iPhone's photos. A racecar is only as good as the driver :p

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't matter, he won't understand. Before posting this thread he didn't even realize that 1020 has 5 times more megapixels than iPhone 6. He might not be knowing that 925 already beat iPhone 5 in every aspects or 5s in most of the aspects(especially in low light) even if he said that iphone 6 beats 830, even that can't be true as with latest Lumia denim, camera is much better & has more features. He'll just argue that he needs more knowledge on pureview. Well I think Google or Bing couldn't satisfy him.

& if he really wanted to know more about pureview, the title of this thread should be different! He just keeps bashing wp in every thread & would never accept it.

First of all megapixels are just part of an equation, just because one camera has more megapixels than another doesn't mean it's better, in fact putting more megapixels on a smaller sensor starts to degrade quality.

My thread was shaped as a question to simply ask people what they thought, I didn't bring Android into the equation nor did I say that the iPhone 6 had a better camera.

I also did not bring the 925 into this thread, but since you mentioned it a camera comparison conducted by WPCentral itself found that the 925 couldn't beat an iPhone 5S.

http://m.windowscentral.com/camera-showdown-iphone-5s-lumia-925-and-lumia-1020

Please don't bring things that aren't on topic and embarrass yourself in all threads.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
First of all megapixels are just part of an equation, just because one camera has more megapixels than another doesn't mean it's better, in fact putting more megapixels on a smaller sensor starts to degrade quality. .

not true at all, do you even understand how the pureview technology works? its not just a name,its a huuuge thing for photos

basically it takes a 41MP shot and downscales it to a lower resolution (5MP i think) which beats every other phone camera by a very very large margin,in fact its often considered a mini DSLR of sorts

once again i again feel you havent used the pureview tech on a 808 pureview or a 1020 or you would have understood that your comment is invalid in this situation

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
First of all megapixels are just part of an equation, just because one camera has more megapixels than another doesn't mean it's better, in fact putting more megapixels on a smaller sensor starts to degrade quality.

My thread was shaped as a question to simply ask people what they thought, I didn't bring Android into the equation nor did I say that the iPhone 6 had a better camera.

I also did not bring the 925 into this thread, but since you mentioned it a camera comparison conducted by WPCentral itself found that the 925 couldn't beat an iPhone 5S.

http://m.windowscentral.com/camera-showdown-iphone-5s-lumia-925-and-lumia-1020

Please don't bring things that aren't on topic and embarrass yourself in all threads.

I know all this. You never said that iPhone 6 had a better camera? If so, then this thread wouldn't have existed! Megapixels doesn't matter? Its the primary thing that matters in a phone. An 8 mp camera could only beat a 10mp camera, if that camera is crap! Aperture matters for low light photography, lower aperture means the camera allows more light, but at the same time, more lower aperture results into softer images. Megapixels doesn't matter to you? Huh? A human eye has 571 Megapixels, so it might definitely happen that after some time you might even consider a phone better than a human eye. You don't even think while speaking! As always arguing has always been futile in EVERY THREAD

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
not true at all, do you even understand how the pureview technology works? its not just a name,its a huuuge thing for photos

basically it takes a 41MP shot and downscales it to a lower resolution (5MP i think) which beats every other phone camera by a very very large margin,in fact its often considered a mini DSLR of sorts

once again i again feel you havent used the pureview tech on a 808 pureview or a 1020 or you would have understood that your comment is invalid in this situation

Did I insult the Pureview technology or say that it was a gimmick? No!

I know how the 1020 camera works, it takes two photos one 41 megapixel photo and supersamples by combining the pixels into a 5MP photo, essentially creating things such as "superpixels."

But my point was different, megapixels aren't everything in photography, putting more and more megapixels in a camera sensor that is constrained in size starts degrading quality.

I never said megapixels aren't important, I said that they are only part of what makes a camera great.

Learn to read properly before criticizing.

I know all this. You never said that iPhone 6 had a better camera? If so, then this thread wouldn't have existed! Megapixels doesn't matter? Its the primary thing that matters in a phone. An 8 mp camera could only beat a 10mp camera, if that camera is crap! Aperture matters for low light photography, lower aperture means the camera allows more light, but at the same time, more lower aperture results into softer images. Megapixels doesn't matter to you? Huh? A human eye has 571 Megapixels, so it might definitely happen that after some time you might even consider a phone better than a human eye. You don't even think while speaking! As always arguing has always been futile in EVERY THREAD

The thread was to discuss the authenticity of the test that we're conducted, not because I said that iPhone had a better camera, read the ******* thread again.

And secondly I said that megapixels we're only one part of a great camera, *PART*, I never said they weren't important, goddamit read it properly.

Apart from just megapixels, sensor size, how sensitive the sensor can get(ISO), the quality of glass used on it, the focusing mechanism, the aperture, etc together make up a great camera.

You can't just simply say that one camera is better than another just because of how many megapixels it has, that's an ignorant statement.

Again learn to read.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok things are staying to get personal and heated in here with bickering. Stay on topic and discuss your points properly without resorting to personal attacks or meaningless of topic posts. If this thread requires any more moderation it will be closed.

Last edited:

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok things are staying to get personal and heated in here with bickering. Stay on topic and discuss your points properly without resorting to personal attacks or meaningless of topic posts. If this thread requires any more moderation it will be closed.

Just close the thread, the title of this thread itself shouts that.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I know how the 1020 camera works, it takes two photos one 41 megapixel photo and supersamples by combining the pixels into a 5MP photo, essentially creating things such as "superpixels."

But my point was different, megapixels aren't everything in photography, putting more and more megapixels in a camera sensor that is constrained in size starts degrading quality.

I never said megapixels aren't important, I said that they are only part of what makes a camera great.

The thread was to discuss the authenticity of the test that we're conducted, not because I said that iPhone had a better camera, read the ******* thread again.

And secondly I said that megapixels we're only one part of a great camera, *PART*, I never said they weren't important, goddamit read it properly.

Apart from just megapixels, sensor size, how sensitive the sensor can get(ISO), the quality of glass used on it, the focusing mechanism, the aperture, etc together make up a great camera.

You can't just simply say that one camera is better than another just because of how many megapixels it has, that's an ignorant statement.

Again learn to read.

Iso, shutter speed, aperture are secondary things. Megapixels are the primary ones. Now at least I hope you understand the difference between primary & secondary. If there's 1 damn thing WP is good for(according to wp haters like you), its camera. More megapixels, more resolution, more clear photos, is it so hard to understand it?

As you are a 14 year old, I don't expect much from you, carry on with your rubbish.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Just a small tip to everyone, please ignore a couple of bots here that go by the following names-
D M C
salmanahmed

No use arguing with these, as I said they are bots, post the same wrong things again and again in every thread. Thank you.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Iso, shutter speed, aperture are secondary things. Megapixels are the primary ones. Now at least I hope you understand the difference between primary & secondary. If there's 1 damn thing WP is good for(according to wp haters like you), its camera. More megapixels, more resolution, more clear photos, is it so hard to understand it?

As you are a 14 year old, I don't expect much from you, carry on with your rubbish.

Megapixels are *PRIMARY* to *YOU*.

You continuously misquote me and refuse to believe that more isn't always better, especially when its proven that if you keep putting more and more megapixels on a small sensor quality is degraded, capture speed is reduced and the bulk of the device increases.

There are people who would prefer a fast camera that captures ample detail(HTC One), then there are people that want a balance between speed an quality(iPhone 5S), then there are people who are willing to sacrifice some speed for extra megapixels(Lumia 1520)(Xperia Z1/Z2/Z3) and eventually come the people that have the time and need more resolution(Lumia 1020).

Then there are people who want to photograph in lowlight, where more sensitive and higher aperture cameras come into play, like the Lumia 925 and in low light environments a less sharp image is acceptable because zooming isn't as important.

Megapixels are part of an equation to make a great smartphone, or a great camera in general, it's not the primary factor in a great smartphone sensor.

And lastly more megapixels wouldn't translate into a better image always, taking into account all other things, and it also always wouldn't mean a sharper image because of sensor size constraint.

And sensitive sensors are also important depending on what you are taking an image of of a subject in bright light(lower ISO is better) and if you are shooting in lowlight (higher ISO) once again.

To my knowledge the lowest ISO on phones has been consistenly on iPhone, it can drop to around ISO 32 and the highest I've seen is on a Xperia Z1(or Z2?) which was around ISO 6400, but ISO also depends on how big the sensor is because other than that it would just result in a noisier image.

I know all this because I have experience with smartphone and photography in general, here are a few images I've taken with a Lumia 520 by editing the shutter speed, ISO and exposure:

1412006994558.jpg
1412007014067.jpg

Get your facts straight.

And as far as my age goes, age doesn't define intelligence, don't become personal.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Again learn to read.

You said the pureview sensor in 1020 was < than iPhone 6
Sounds wrong to me

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Megapixels are *PRIMARY* to *YOU*.

You continuously misquote me and refuse to believe that more isn't always better, especially when its proven that if you keep putting more and more megapixels on a small sensor quality is degraded, capture speed is reduced and the bulk of the device increases.

There are people who would prefer a fast camera that captures ample detail(HTC One), then there are people that want a balance between speed an quality(iPhone 5S), then there are people who are willing to sacrifice some speed for extra megapixels(Lumia 1520)(Xperia Z1/Z2/Z3) and eventually come the people that have the time and need more resolution(Lumia 1020).

Then there are people who want to photograph in lowlight, where more sensitive and higher aperture cameras come into play, like the Lumia 925 and in low light environments a less sharp image is acceptable because zooming isn't as important.

Megapixels are part of an equation to make a great smartphone, or a great camera in general, it's not the primary factor in a great smartphone sensor.

And lastly more megapixels wouldn't translate into a better image always, taking into account all other things, and it also always wouldn't mean a sharper image because of sensor size constraint.

And sensitive sensors are also important depending on what you are taking an image of of a subject in bright light(lower ISO is better) and if you are shooting in lowlight (higher ISO) once again.

To my knowledge the lowest ISO on phones has been consistenly on iPhone, it can drop to around ISO 32 and the highest I've seen is on a Xperia Z1(or Z2?) which was around ISO 6400, but ISO also depends on how big the sensor is because other than that it would just result in a noisier image.

I know all this because I have experience with smartphone and photography in general, here are a few images I've taken with a Lumia 520 by editing the shutter speed, ISO and exposure:

View attachment 82812
View attachment 82813

Get your facts straight.

You obviously haven't used ms camera app,it is fast unlike nokia camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb