Who do you believe is the most innovative manufacturer for phones/ phablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Samsung uses AMOLED displays on many of it's devices, if I'm not wrong. AMOLED usually has punchier colors(if that's the word). Whether you like that or not, is up to you.

The correct term is "saturated colors". Some would say AMOLED screens tend to be oversaturated. However, using the color profile settings on any Lumia device you can recalibrate that to whatever you want. At least on Lumia devices that is now a non-issue.

Far more important than the color issue is the contrast issue. AMOLED displays have infinite contrast, and that is what truly distinguishes them from LCDs.

My eyes are very sensitive to contrast and dark color gradients. The LCD screen on my L830 is, for me, one of its weak spots, but most don't even notice what I find distracting. :wink:

I'm really glad Samsung invested in AMOLED technology.

I don't know who the most innovative is, but I'd say Apple is the least innovative. Out of all the big players Apple has by far the smallest research budget, and in my book purchasing other companies and marketing their inventions isn't innovation.

Last edited:

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
The correct term is "saturated colors". Some would say AMOLED screens tend to be oversaturated. However, using the color profile settings on any Lumia device you can recalibrate that to whatever you want. At least on Lumia devices that is now a non-issue.

Far more important than the color issue is the contrast issue. AMOLED displays have infinite contrast, and that is what truly distinguishes them from LCDs.

My eyes are very sensitive to contrast and dark color gradients. The LCD screen on my L830 is, for me, one of its weak spots, but most don't even notice what I find distracting. 😊

I don't know who the most innovative is, but I'd say Apple is the least innovative. Out of all the big players Apple has by far the smallest research budget, and in my book purchasing other companies and marketing their inventions isn't innovation.

From what I observed, Apple isn't a company that's great in innovation. What they excel in however, is the implementation of certain features or the improvement of those features.

Although most of the features are not invented by Apple, a lot of features are known to the majority because of Apple. A bit unfair to the pioneers, but that's how it is.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
From what I observed, Apple isn't a company that's great in innovation. What they excel in however, is the implementation of certain features or the improvement of those features.

Although most of the features are not invented by Apple, a lot of features are known to the majority because of Apple. A bit unfair to the pioneers, but that's how it is.

More or less, stealing others designs and work and calling it their own. There....i fixed it for you. your welcome.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

My eyes are very sensitive to contrast and dark color gradients. The LCD screen on my L830 is, for me, one of its weak spots, but most don't even notice what I find distracting. 😊

Haha yeah Apple isn't one of the most "innovative" of companies, but it does pretty well in improving features that already exist.

I honestly don't like AMOLED displays a whole lot, especially because of the screen "burn in" issue that people often talk about on the internet.

But AMOLED displays really shine in battery life when it comes to using darker backgrounds.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Haha yeah Apple isn't one of the most "innovative" of companies, but it does pretty well in improving features that already exist.

I honestly don't like AMOLED displays a whole lot, especially because of the screen "burn in" issue that people often talk about on the internet.

But AMOLED displays really shine in battery life when it comes to using darker backgrounds.

... and obliterate the battery displaying whites. Lol.

At the rate most webpages and emails are displayed as whites... I don't know if battery life can really be conserved using AMOLED displays lol

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I've seen that a lot too, but I've owned three smartphones with AMOLED displays, one which was used very extensively for over two years, and I have not experienced even the slightest bit of burn-in on any of them. I don't think it's quite fair to attribute that problem only to the fact that it's an AMOLED display. I suspect that the quality of the display and with what voltages the OEM drives them are the more important factors, but I agree it's their main problem. Compared to all the advantages however (thinner, perfect contrast, awesome for technology like glance), I find it a worthy trade-off, but to each their own. There's certainly nothing wrong with preferring LCD's either.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've seen that a lot too, but I've owned three smartphones with AMOLED displays, one which was used very extensively for over two years, and I have not experienced even the slightest bit of burn-in on any of them.

This is interesting. I never saw burn in either, until a few days ago. I just bought a (very) used Verizon Galaxy Nexus on eBay. You can see a very noticeable burn in when the screen is white or light colored. It seems the the former owner(s) used the messaging app, since that's what the burn in image is as far as I can tell. The keyboard is easily distinguishable. However, this is the first time I've ever seen burn in on a smartphone that I recall.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
... and obliterate the battery displaying whites. Lol.

At the rate most webpages and emails are displayed as whites... I don't know if battery life can really be conserved using AMOLED displays lol

I'm not too sure on AMOLEDs draining battery on white backgrounds. But on Windows Phone(where you can adjust the theme) a black theme would really benefit anyone with a phone with an AMOLED display.

I've seen that a lot too, but I've owned three smartphones with AMOLED displays, one which was used very extensively for over two years, and I have not experienced even the slightest bit of burn-in on any of them. I don't think it's quite fair to attribute that problem only to the fact that it's an AMOLED display. I suspect that the quality of the display and with what voltages the OEM drives them are the more important factors, but I agree it's their main problem. Compared to all the advantages however (thinner, perfect contrast, awesome for technology like glance), I find it a worthy trade-off, but to each their own. There's certainly nothing wrong with preferring LCD's either.

I really like the benefits that come with owning an AMOLED display, such as Glance or Active Display but the screen burn in issue kind of terrifies me because I'm pretty sensitive to the slightest of issues that my phone has.

But I've compared AMOLED and LCD screens side by side and asked other people, and most people prefer the more saturated colours of AMOLED.

To each their own. :)

This is interesting. I never saw burn in either, until a few days ago. I just bought a (very) used Verizon Galaxy Nexus on eBay. You can see a very noticeable burn in when the screen is white or light colored. It seems the the former owner(s) used the messaging app, since that's what the burn in image is as far as I can tell. The keyboard is easily distinguishable. However, this is the first time I've ever seen burn in on a smartphone that I recall.

Haha try not to worry about it.

The real massive screen burn issues are on the AMOLED phones that are on display for people to use and are on 24/7.

One of my friends had a Galaxy S3 for over two years now(he sold it recently) and he had minor screen burn in issues. But nothing too major.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Talking on the topic of innovation, there we're a lot of rumours on Facebook going around that Nokia was working on a technology that made your phone automatically charge when you didn't use it.

Now judging by the fact that not everything you read on Facebook is true, I would take this with a pinch of salt.

But if Nokia was successful with that, it would have been really amazing. 😓🙌😜

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Talking on the topic of innovation, there we're a lot of rumours on Facebook going around that Nokia was working on a technology that made your phone automatically charge when you didn't use it.

Now judging by the fact that not everything you read on Facebook is true, I would take this with a pinch of salt.

But if Nokia was successful with that, it would have been really amazing. ������

Did the article mention how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos