Why the iPhone 6 Camera Beats the 1020

Status
Not open for further replies.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
its not about quality,its autofocus is nowhere near my 720,820 or Z10
i dunno much about 1020s autofocus because i dont own one,my brother does,but i dont use it much

you're speaking of autofocus speed, as in Nexus 5 autofocus speed is not as fast (? sorry im not a photo expert at all so excuse my lack of terms or knowledge) as those other devices you mentioned? On the 1020, WP in general doesnt have an autofocus from what i recall...you need to tap the screen to autofocus dont you?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I've realized that OP has gotten himself into a war that no one can win.

Experts have gone back and forth and each of them come out with their own findings and results.

It depends on who "you" trust, because if I post a comparison from The Verge, phonearena or any other "experts" people will just say they are biased against Windows Phones.

So really, no point of arguing.

But I'll just give my honest opinion, a fast camera matters a lot and I've used the iPhone 6's camera. It's fast, detailed, crazy fast to focus, and offers more features primarily in the video recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeyDv__sGLo

Head to head: iPhone 6 Plus vs Lumia 930 video performance | Windows Phone Central

i seriously doubt that especially the video recording point

the verge,phone arena,gsm arena, Linus sebastian etc arent "experts" like some people want to believe
you want proof,head over to crackberry forums where im equally active these days,they will also tell you the lack of research by such "experts" regarding WP and BB10 is rather shocking

I dont think youve used an iphone 6,like you mentioned in another thread a few days ago
for proof see the videos

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
All these fanboyism, please show me how THIS IS NOT FANBOYISM.

Lumia 1020 is 5 times better. Wow. You can quantitatively measure a qualitative aspect. I'm impressed. Please elaborate.

To the guy saying if Lumia 1020 captures 8MP images, it can save as fast. NOPE. Not without work from the developers anyway. Have you heard of a buffer? In proffesional DSLR's, buffers are used so that you could still capture images while the image is saved/processed. Nokia camera does not save images using the buffer. That's why it requires time to save/process it while you're stuck grumbling. I hope whoever's handling the Lumia line could put in a dedicated image processor chip though.

I guess I need not talk about autofocus in the dark. I know that love is blind, but sometimes we should acknowledge the flaws in the things we own. We should learn how to appreciate others too.

AND FOR THOSE WHO SAY LUMIA 1020 EXCELS IN MANUAL MODE. It does, I'm not disagreeing. But kindly note that iOS8 allows manual controls too. So does HTC. Oppo smartphones allow up to 8 sec exposure ;).

Time to step up your game, Microsoft.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmad
sigh,i can argue about this all day long just like in those other threads where you were proved wrong by the others
its slow by default,maybe the defect made it worse

I was proved wrong? I'll admit I may have been wrong one time or the other and I've admitted it. But you've been continually proven wrong on several occasions, just as an example when you said that Symbian had a notification centre before Android.

I own a Nexus 5, you can't argue with me about it all day. I can have a video about Nexus 5's autofocus put up on YouTube in less than 20 minutes.

you're speaking of autofocus speed, as in Nexus 5 autofocus speed is not as fast (? sorry im not a photo expert at all so excuse my lack of terms or knowledge) as those other devices you mentioned? On the 1020, WP in general doesnt have an autofocus from what i recall...you need to tap the screen to autofocus dont you?

The 1020 does have autofocus, but the autofocus system it uses is called single shot autofocus i.e. it focuses every single time you take a shot, I can't see how single shot autofocus can be better than the Nexus 5's continuous autofocus...unless special hardware like a laser sensor is attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeyDv__sGLo

Head to head: iPhone 6 Plus vs Lumia 930 video performance | Windows Phone Central

i seriously doubt that especially the video recording point

the verge,phone arena,gsm arena, Linus sebastian etc arent "experts" like some people want to believe
you want proof,head over to crackberry forums where im equally active these days,they will also tell you the lack of research by such "experts" regarding WP and BB10 is rather shocking

I dont think youve used an iphone 6,like you mentioned in another thread a few days ago
for proof see the videos

Micheal Fisher's review didn't go into depth about the camera. And WPCentral's comparison just proved me right about the autofocus.

Linus and the others are indeed experts, but even if you don't trust them there are other sites that said the iPhone 5S had a better camera than the 1020, and obviously if they we're right the iPhone 6 would beat it as well.

http://m.blog.laptopmag.com/iphone-5s-vs-lumia-1020-camera

But there is no point of arguing, because now you'll say laptopmag aren't experts either.

It just depends on what "experts" you want to believe.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
If op really love iPhone 6 why don't he compare it to Lumia 830? iPhone 6 is new devices while 1020 older one. It may have some deflect that need to fixed by it's successor. The only reason is because the snapdragon S4 as it's chip. It a lot more fair to compare it with 930 or 830 rather than 1020 when talk about performance.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
All these fanboyism, please show me how THIS IS NOT FANBOYISM.

Lumia 1020 is 5 times better. Wow. You can quantitatively measure a qualitative aspect. I'm impressed. Please elaborate.

To the guy saying if Lumia 1020 captures 8MP images, it can save as fast. NOPE. Not without work from the developers anyway. Have you heard of a buffer? In proffesional DSLR's, buffers are used so that you could still capture images while the image is saved/processed. Nokia camera does not save images using the buffer. That's why it requires time to save/process it while you're stuck grumbling. I hope whoever's handling the Lumia line could put in a dedicated image processor chip though.

I guess I need not talk about autofocus in the dark. I know that love is blind, but sometimes we should acknowledge the flaws in the things we own. We should learn how to appreciate others too.

AND FOR THOSE WHO SAY LUMIA 1020 EXCELS IN MANUAL MODE. It does, I'm not disagreeing. But kindly note that iOS8 allows manual controls too. So does HTC. Oppo smartphones allow up to 8 sec exposure ;).

Time to step up your game, Microsoft.

OPPO allows 32s shutter speed as well in some of their devices. 😨

At least I've heard that.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Experts have gone back and forth and each of them come out with their own findings and results.

It depends on who "you" trust, because if I post a comparison from The Verge, phonearena or any other "experts" people will just say they are biased against Windows Phones.

But I'll just give my honest opinion, a fast camera matters a lot and I've used the iPhone 6's camera. It's fast, detailed, crazy fast to focus, and offers more features primarily in the video recording.

Here we aren't talking about how fast a phone takes a picture. I know 1020 is a bit slow because its old now, & you are reacting as if you always need to take pictures in motion. We are basically talking about the quality of pictures taken, 1020 is still the king 👑

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Here we aren't talking about how fast a phone takes a picture. I know 1020 is a bit slow because its old now, & you are reacting as if you always need to take pictures in motion. We are basically talking about the quality of pictures taken, 1020 is still the king 👑

OP mentioned this in a good example, quality and speed can go together.

Like the example he gave of the kid and the cat in the elevator.

He got the photo of the adorable cat on the iPhone.

But he got a much much much more detailed photo of the elevator once the child had left.

So yes I'll admit no one can beat 1020 in quality even if it means not getting the photo you wanted at the time you wanted.

Bloggers are not "experts".

What about Phonearena?

Oh wait...they aren't reliable because they say iPhone wins.

I rest my case.

Last edited by a moderator:

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I was proved wrong? I'll admit I may have been wrong one time or the other and I've admitted it. But you've been continually proven wrong on several occasions, just as an example when you said that Symbian had a notification centre before Android.

I own a Nexus 5, you can't argue with me about it all day. I can have a video about Nexus 5's autofocus put up on YouTube in less than 20 minutes.

The 1020 does have autofocus, but the autofocus system it uses is called single shot autofocus i.e. it focuses every single time you take a shot, I can't see how single shot autofocus can be better than the Nexus 5's continuous autofocus...unless special hardware like a laser sensor is attached.

Micheal Fisher's review didn't go into depth about the camera. And WPCentral's comparison just proved me right about the autofocus.

Linus and the others are indeed experts, but even if you don't trust them there are other sites that said the iPhone 5S had a better camera than the 1020, and obviously if they we're right the iPhone 6 would beat it as well.

http://m.blog.laptopmag.com/iphone-5s-vs-lumia-1020-camera

But there is no point of arguing, because now you'll say laptopmag aren't experts either.

It just depends on what "experts" you want to believe.

There are many "iPhone fan sites" which still say that iPhones still have the best camera. If you want you can believe it. It's like a blind person only knows darkness, he would never be able to see the light, no matter how hard you try to show him the light.

That doesn't change the fact that 1020 still has the best camera in a phone.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

I have said this repeatedly and I'm going to say it again. But since some of us obviously didn't see it out can't understand, let me rephrase it into layman terms. The postprocessing of Lumia 1020 is MEDIOCRE. There, do you understand what I'm trying to convey now? Quality of pictures depends on a lot of factors, and its not skin deep.

Yea yea, I know you could use raw. How many users really do that?

P.S. The king is 808 PV. All hail the king!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
There are many "iPhone fan sites" which still say that iPhones still have the best camera. If you want you can believe it. It's like a blind person only knows darkness, he would never be able to see the light, no matter how hard you try to show him the light.

That doesn't change the fact that 1020 still has the best camera in a phone.

The last line of what Latopmag said is what was the best part about their post:

"To be fair, the Lumia 1020 offers much greater control over individual settings, letting the user manually adjust ISO, shutter speed, white balance and more. However, when it comes to being able to whip your phone out of your pocket and fire off a quick shot or two ? the way most smartphone cameras are used ? the iPhone 5s is the better everyday smartphone camera."

Sure 1020 can take better photos than an iPhone given that you have the time and incentive to adjust settings every single time.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
OPPO allows 32s shutter speed as well in some of their devices. 😨

At least I've heard that.

Oh aww. You're right I think. My bad

I have never used an Oppo before. Contemplating to get one, since arguably its one of the innovative smartphone maker.

I thought I read earlier that it has max 8 sec, maybe that's only for the find 7

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
What about Phonearena?

Oh wait...they aren't reliable because they say iPhone wins.

I rest my case.

Phonearena, fonearena, gsmarena etc sites should not to be believed always. I've seen so many mistakes in the specs of a phone on these sites, so IMHO it doesn't matter. If you believe them fine, but they are not always right.

The last line of what Latopmag said is what was the best part about their post:

"To be fair, the Lumia 1020 offers much greater control over individual settings, letting the user manually adjust ISO, shutter speed, white balance and more. However, when it comes to being able to whip your phone out of your pocket and fire off a quick shot or two ? the way most smartphone cameras are used ? the iPhone 5s is the better everyday smartphone camera."

Sure 1020 can take better photos than an iPhone given that you have the time and incentive to adjust settings every single time.

It's upto you how you use it. If you are much into photography, you would spend time with 1020s individual settings. Definitely a phone can only have a good camera if it had more options, which 1020 has. If you don't adjust the settings in 1020, you'd still be able to get good pictures with 1020.

Last edited by a moderator:

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Basically just get the camera that suits your style. I don't shoot moving objects much so getting the better image and more detail from the 1020 is priceless, but you won't find me posting on iphone/apple forums about how much better the 1020 is than the iphone.

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
OP is surprised at the backlash? Maybe it has to do with the delivery.

So it's the best cameraphone for you, all your reasons are valid and so is your opinion. Of course given the original placement of the thread, there is expected to be some fanboyism in here. To state it as you did just added fuel to the fire, in fact it's stated and presented exactly as a master troll would. What did you expect?

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, but the verge, cnet, bgr et al won't dare say anything very 'negative' about Apple, lest they miss the invite to the next 'big event'. And if they do say anything even remotely negative, they'll down play it as much as possible.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but the verge, cnet, bgr et al won't dare say anything very 'negative' about Apple, lest they miss the invite to the next 'big event'. And if they do say anything even remotely negative, they'll down play it as much as possible.

I would like to hear what so "very negative" about Apple. It'll be interesting to know what they lack, not those that they differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6