Why the iPhone 6 Camera Beats the 1020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but the verge, cnet, bgr et al won't dare say anything very 'negative' about Apple, lest they miss the invite to the next 'big event'. And if they do say anything even remotely negative, they'll down play it as much as possible.

It seems to be true - missing OIS of iPhone 6 means more blurry photos in a real use of average people (not mentioned), audio recording by mics is still mono and not so good (not mentioned), zooming is not even close to Lumia 1020 (not mentioned) and is it still only 4:3 aspect ratio for photos (no option for 16:9 aspect ratio), EVEN A DISPLAY IS 16:9 ....

EDIT: did anybody mention why Xenon flash is better compared on LED flash ? :p

Last edited:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
you're speaking of autofocus speed, as in Nexus 5 autofocus speed is not as fast (? sorry im not a photo expert at all so excuse my lack of terms or knowledge) as those other devices you mentioned? On the 1020, WP in general doesnt have an autofocus from what i recall...you need to tap the screen to autofocus dont you?

not really thats only to switch focus
autofocus is "auto" so you dont need to tap or do anything

All these fanboyism, please show me how THIS IS NOT FANBOYISM.

Lumia 1020 is 5 times better. Wow. You can quantitatively measure a qualitative aspect. I'm impressed. Please elaborate.

To the guy saying if Lumia 1020 captures 8MP images, it can save as fast. NOPE. Not without work from the developers anyway. Have you heard of a buffer? In proffesional DSLR's, buffers are used so that you could still capture images while the image is saved/processed. Nokia camera does not save images using the buffer. That's why it requires time to save/process it while you're stuck grumbling. I hope whoever's handling the Lumia line could put in a dedicated image processor chip though.

I guess I need not talk about autofocus in the dark. I know that love is blind, but sometimes we should acknowledge the flaws in the things we own. We should learn how to appreciate others too.

AND FOR THOSE WHO SAY LUMIA 1020 EXCELS IN MANUAL MODE. It does, I'm not disagreeing. But kindly note that iOS8 allows manual controls too. So does HTC. Oppo smartphones allow up to 8 sec exposure ;).

Time to step up your game, Microsoft.

we will bash microsft when the competitors come out with quality handsets which dont explode,bend or have defective batches (nexus 5) or take oodles of time to autofocus
lets assume for a moment that the iphone 6 takes amazing photos ,i see bluetooth and nfc in settings,how do i transfer a photo?! no wifi direct either,just airdrop which only works with another iphone
what people in this thread are showing isnt fanboyism its reality and lack of knowledge by people who havent used MS camera or trust "expert" reviews by phone arena,gsm arena,verge and Linus sebastian

I was proved wrong? I'll admit I may have been wrong one time or the other and I've admitted it. But you've been continually proven wrong on several occasions, just as an example when you said that Symbian had a notification centre before Android.

I own a Nexus 5, you can't argue with me about it all day. I can have a video about Nexus 5's autofocus put up on YouTube in less than 20 minutes.

The 1020 does have autofocus, but the autofocus system it uses is called single shot autofocus i.e. it focuses every single time you take a shot, I can't see how single shot autofocus can be better than the Nexus 5's continuous autofocus...unless special hardware like a laser sensor is attached.

Micheal Fisher's review didn't go into depth about the camera. And WPCentral's comparison just proved me right about the autofocus.

Linus and the others are indeed experts, but even if you don't trust them there are other sites that said the iPhone 5S had a better camera than the 1020, and obviously if they we're right the iPhone 6 would beat it as well.

iPhone 5s vs. Nokia Lumia 1020 - Camera Shootout - LAPTOP

But there is no point of arguing, because now you'll say laptopmag aren't experts either.

It just depends on what "experts" you want to believe.

keep dreaming,one day windows 10 will launch for phones and we all will get 4K recording etc ,then you will say 4K recording needs a 4K tv which not many people have and will find other vague reasoning

fyi android did not invent the notification centre,file manager etc,you have been proved wrong before,its no point if your going to argue with others

these "experts" you rely soo much on,they arent experts,you have to stop going on believing random sites
nexus 5 has slower autofocus than other phones,if you read my previous comment,you would have understood that i never said 1020 has a fast autofocus,i said its slower than the other lumias,in fact slower than my Z10 as well

you want proof of the verge's bias-
http://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-buy-blackberry-just-dont-verge-video-966263/

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/206887-verge-biased.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1597131

http://engadgetsucks.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/the-verge-aka-the-engadget-guys-next-biased-blog/

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1217087

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/10/29/protecting-google-while-bashing-apple/

http://www.tested.com/forums/general-discussion/449796-are-some-tech-journalist-websites-biased/

the verge takes turns to bash/be biased towards different brands

Dont take this thread OT anymore,you have been proven wrong,before in the other thread and now

I usually don't just read quickly through those sites, but use time to analyze the pictures myself. More credible.

^^exactly!!

The last line of what Latopmag said is what was the best part about their post:

"To be fair, the Lumia 1020 offers much greater control over individual settings, letting the user manually adjust ISO, shutter speed, white balance and more. However, when it comes to being able to whip your phone out of your pocket and fire off a quick shot or two ? the way most smartphone cameras are used ? the iPhone 5s is the better everyday smartphone camera."

Sure 1020 can take better photos than an iPhone given that you have the time and incentive to adjust settings every single time.

i dont think you have used MS camera app

What about Phonearena?

Oh wait...they aren't reliable because they say iPhone wins.

I rest my case.

https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sour...37&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=phone arena biased

ohh really,your beloved google search says otherwise

Here we aren't talking about how fast a phone takes a picture. I know 1020 is a bit slow because its old now, & you are reacting as if you always need to take pictures in motion. We are basically talking about the quality of pictures taken, 1020 is still the king 👑

plus the 1020 shutter speed is massively underrated,its not sooo slow the way people want to portay it
if you use the Ms camera app,its still pretty fast

Last edited by a moderator:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 6 does'nt beat the 1020, but it fulfills what you need. iPhone 6 suits you.

I agree 1020 is slow at startup and shot to shot, but it comes nowhere near 1020's territory.
I can bet you cannot capture these shots with iPhone with atmost no noise.
Physics and Hardware always wins bro.

the Day I am able to capture these kind of images on iPhone i am sold,
1020 pushes the limit for a camera on a smartphone, gives you that flexibility and the RAW is just a Boon to it.
For and avg person iphone camera mite be good, but for me I will keep the 1020.

No offense but I you are going to say "I can bet you cannot capture these shots with iPhone with almost no noise" you should really select shots with almost no noise. All three dark shots have lots discernible of noise/artifacts. You may like the images but they are hardly examples of low light/low noise photography. They look like what you get from a decent point and shoot camera, which is what I expect, and have good resolution, but that is as far as it goes. Not a criticism of your images, just a simple statement regarding digital image artifacts and the images posted.

BTW, I am hard pressed to accept the position that a niche product in the hands of a small number of users really successfully pushed the limits of cameras in smart phones. The 1020 has been out for a long time and the industry has absolutely not followed where Nokia was supposedly leading. In fact, I never hear the 1020 mentioned in discussions of camera phones. I hear plenty though about the conveniences and speed of Apple and even HTC's offerings. In evolutionary terms, that would seem to suggest the 1020 to be a dead end. FWIW, Australopithecus robustus pushed the limits of how large teeth could be in a hominid but I don't think it worked out as successful in the end given we are the only surviving hominid. The point is you need more than the claim as most extreme to genuinely demonstrate success. You may like it but that doesn't mean it pushed the industry or resulted in any bona fide change in how people perceive of camera phones.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
not really thats only to switch focus
autofocus is "auto" so you dont need to tap or do anything

we will bash microsft when the competitors come out with quality handsets which dont explode,bend or have defective batches (nexus 5) or take oodles of time to autofocus
lets assume for a moment that the iphone 6 takes amazing photos ,i see bluetooth and nfc in settings,how do i transfer a photo?! no wifi direct either,just airdrop which only works with another iphone
what people in this thread are showing isnt fanboyism its reality and lack of knowledge by people who havent used MS camera or trust "expert" reviews by phone arena,gsm arena,verge and Linus sebastian

keep dreaming,one day windows 10 will launch for phones and we all will get 4K recording etc ,then you will say 4K recording needs a 4K tv which not many people have and will find other vague reasoning

fyi android did not invent the notification centre,file manager etc,you have been proved wrong before,its no point if your going to argue with others

these "experts" you rely soo much on,they arent experts,you have to stop going on believing random sites
nexus 5 has slower autofocus than other phones,if you read my previous comment,you would have understood that i never said 1020 has a fast autofocus,i said its slower than the other lumias,in fact slower than my Z10 as well

you want proof of the verge's bias-
http://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-buy-blackberry-just-dont-verge-video-966263/

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/206887-verge-biased.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1597131

http://engadgetsucks.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/the-verge-aka-the-engadget-guys-next-biased-blog/

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1217087

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/10/29/protecting-google-while-bashing-apple/

http://www.tested.com/forums/general-discussion/449796-are-some-tech-journalist-websites-biased/

the verge takes turns to bash/be biased towards different brands

Dont take this thread OT anymore,you have been proven wrong,before in the other thread and now

^^exactly!!

i dont think you have used MS camera app

https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sour...37&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=phone arena biased

ohh really,your beloved google search says otherwise

plus the 1020 shutter speed is massively underrated,its not sooo slow the way people want to portay it
if you use the Ms camera app,its still pretty fast

Lol, you talk about defective batches as if Windows Phones have never had any defective ones. There are people who have complained of screens popping out, phones warping, etc for many different Lumias.

I also never said that Android invented a file manager. As far as notification centre goes, it's not relevant here nor was I given any proof that a company got it before Android.

I've used MS Camera and like I said, it's slower than Google Camera or iOS cameras, it has a faster time of capture and processes them faster but the focusing is still slow.

And I lol'd so hard at your Windows 10 statement about 4K. Android has had 4K almost an year before Windows Phone, and Android also has 2K displays before Windows Phone.

I would still argue that features like 1080p 60 FPS are more useful, but Android beat any other OS to 4K and you can't deny that.

And lastly can MS camera can't take 38 MP shots on 1020? Can it?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the OP admitted he has a defected model.

The autofocus on mine is great too. And DNG support is coming in Android L.

Some photos I've snapped with N5:

View attachment 84171

One of the best I've taken(yet).

View attachment 84172

It focused very well on the plant :3

View attachment 84173

Those clouds though :D

View attachment 84175

Lowlight :3

Sorry, those photos, lack clarity, color and the pop you get from the pureview, plus the low light is down right laughable.

btw, Again, I have yet to see any photos from the iPhone that comes close to those in the pureview forums and websites.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Lol, you talk about defective batches as if Windows Phones have never had any defective ones. There are people who have complained of screens popping out, phones warping, etc for many different Lumias.

I also never said that Android invented a file manager. As far as notification centre goes, it's not relevant here nor was I given any proof that a company got it before Android.

I've used MS Camera and like I said, it's slower than Google Camera or iOS cameras, it has a faster time of capture and processes them faster but the focusing is still slow.

And I lol'd so hard at your Windows 10 statement about 4K. Android has had 4K almost an year before Windows Phone, and Android also has 2K displays before Windows Phone.

I would still argue that features like 1080p 60 FPS are more useful, but Android beat any other OS to 4K and you can't deny that.

Please, humor me and point me to these issues of bending phones and screens popping out of lumias you speak of. I would love to read it. Apple has 1 phone per year, and for some reason there is issues with them all, remember antenna gate?, iPhone 5, fingerprint scanner is down right useless, iPhone 6, bends just from being in your front pocket when you sit.

really dude, I have been in this game since phones were huge bricks. And I follow the segment closely, and worked in 2 different retail locations selling and repairing phones. Iphones are NOT the be all end all that all the lemmings make them out to be. But again, please, show me these Lumia phones that had issues. Only issue I have with mine is that I get a lot of jealous iPhone users when I show them my photos.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Please, humor me and point me to these issues of bending phones and screens popping out of lumias you speak of. I would love to read it. Apple has 1 phone per year, and for some reason there is issues with them all, remember antenna gate?, iPhone 5, fingerprint scanner is down right useless, iPhone 6, bends just from being in your front pocket when you sit.

really dude, I have been in this game since phones were huge bricks. And I follow the segment closely, and worked in 2 different retail locations selling and repairing phones. Iphones are NOT the be all end all that all the lemmings make them out to be. But again, please, show me these Lumia phones that had issues. Only issue I have with mine is that I get a lot of jealous iPhone users when I show them my photos.

Lumia phones has lots of unexpected build quality lapses. Go read in the forums. IPhone 5 does not have a fingerprint sensor. So you claim to sell mobile phones.

Rightos.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Lumia phones has lots of unexpected build quality lapses. Go read in the forums. IPhone 5 does not have a fingerprint sensor. So you claim to sell mobile phones.

Rightos.

Really, well my son's iPhone 5s does so yes, yes it does....the 5c does not. so RIGHTOS right back at ya! Please humor me again and give me some examples of screens popping out or bending of lumias. that is what was mentioned.....waiting..

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Really, well my son's iPhone 5s does so yes, yes it does....the 5c does not. so RIGHTOS right back at ya! Please humor me again and give me some examples of screens popping out or bending of lumias. that is what was mentioned.....waiting..

Please note that 5 and 5S are really two different generations.

And you claim you sell and repair phones.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Did you read conclusion of Gizmode review ? - it said: Among our contenders, we think the Lumia 1020 is the highest achiever, with its crisp detail, great low light performance, and good flash. Unfortunately, some out there may prefer to take photos with a log (or HTC One M8) than use a Windows Phone as their daily driver. If you're one of them, the natural color and low-light chops of the iPhone 6 win out.

... and I have to add that they did not catch many features of Lumia 1020 in that review (like idea of Xenon flash) and overlooked HDR by telling that it is missing in a "native" app (they are still just apps, nothing more, nothing less) - why they did not take that HDR photo by very popular ProShot, for example, just to be fair for Lumia 1020. it feels stupid that we have thousands apps, but only ONE native app is allowed to use, even in a such case.

Anyway, Gizmodo reviews make me think that they are not sponsored one, so I have respect for Gizmodo ....

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The main reason why the Iphone 6 has "better colours" is due to the dual LED flash (white + amber) for better white balance and a vast array of colour temperatures. The xenon flash is amazing for low light photography but for macro shots it will be over powering, in regards to speed of the iphone 6 that is attributed to the fact the hardware & software are optimised & perfectly balanced as everything is controlled by Apple.

On the other hand the L1020 was a collaboration between Nokia & Microsoft and I feel that they (the nokia engineers) did not have the ability or access to properly optimize the o/s to the extent that would get the best out of the camera in terms of speed. However now that MS owns the D & S division of Nokia, these engineers have the low level access they need to properly optimise - this can be seen with the Lumia denim update.

If your looking for a point & shoot, there are many phones out there that will do the job.
If your looking for a DSLR replacement & need one pronto?

Get a DSLR :p otherwise if you can wait then I would say wait for the denim update to hit the 1020 as it should dramatically speed it up.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes. The iphone 5 is so forgettable. And yes I did sell phones. And unlike the people who think the iphone camera is best my opinion is right. Sorry.

So you're right because you forgotten about the iPhone 5? Great.

And never did I claim that the iPhone has the best camera. I merely pointed out that its white balance and post processing is very good. Picture quality is a very subjective thing, as some aspects of the photo just cannot be measured quantitatively.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

like i said before,your living in a dream world if you actually belive that
you keep bashing wp and promoting android everywhere
now all of a sudden , iphone is your fav even though you havent even used an iphone 6
i have a 720,820,z10,1020 ,nexus 5, iphone 6 and iphone 6 plus in my household,i certainly have used all and i totally disagree
ive given you enough proof from proper sources,wake up and dont rely on "experts"
i highly doubt youve used a proper lumia,i dunno about 520 but my 720 and 820 certainly focus much much faster than my nexus 5
about androids 4k etc,its even more laughable when potential android phones dont get updates to enable features which android has had for so long,so its pointless even if android gets it first
about your last point,what are you saying?? 1020 has a 41mp sensor which takes 38mp/34mp and 5mp shots......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss