Why the iPhone 6 Camera Beats the 1020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Please, humor me and point me to these issues of bending phones and screens popping out of lumias you speak of. I would love to read it. Apple has 1 phone per year, and for some reason there is issues with them all, remember antenna gate?, iPhone 5, fingerprint scanner is down right useless, iPhone 6, bends just from being in your front pocket when you sit.

really dude, I have been in this game since phones were huge bricks. And I follow the segment closely, and worked in 2 different retail locations selling and repairing phones. Iphones are NOT the be all end all that all the lemmings make them out to be. But again, please, show me these Lumia phones that had issues. Only issue I have with mine is that I get a lot of jealous iPhone users when I show them my photos.

he also thinks android "invented" features first seen on symbian,BBos,palm os,meego,web os,maemo etc
he claims file manager and notification centre etc were exclusive to android before..

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
OP Have you compared it with the symbian based 808 or N8. I had them both and now 1020.

I feel 808 shots are better than 1020 and opposite for the videos.
Any inputs from others who have used these phones.

There are plus points in both along with minus, but Compare it with other OS and devices in the market I dont think so.

Low light shots HD and the clarity of the audio recording Amazing.

Given, that there are not many post processing apps in the store but it will get it someday I am sure.
Me, personally, I am waiting for the hyper lapse.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Just used the 1520,830 and 730 cameras at Nokia priority. Man, the focusing and the time it takes to open is REALLY fast. The 830 and 730 especially. The denim update does speed up quite a few things. Would like to see a comparison of the 1520 and 1020 with the iPhone after the denim update.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Some of them say that iPhone has good colours compared to 1020, well we all know 1020 is better in low light. IPhone 6 has the latest iOS 8, so let denim roll out to 1020, then we'll really see whose colours are the best. 1020 will remain the king until its successor
Sent from my dark knight 1320

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Just for reference 1020 has a mechanical shutter,
Now i Dont want to go in pro's and con's about mechanical shutter vs electronical shutter.

These are Some Shots fired up, Images Speak for themselves.
rolling_shutter.jpg
test of shutters at fast shutter speeds. 1) reference photo, the fan was still. 2) Photo taken with mechanical shutter; there are no visible artifacts. 3) Photo taken with hybrid shutter ('electronic first curtain'); again, there are no artifacts. 4) Photo taken with fully electronic rolling shutter

Now a days technology has developed so much that Many things rely on Software alot too.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
On the other note, Yesterday Pro Shot was free for iOS 8 and above even Windows Phone, I insisted my friend to download.
i had used pro shot alot on my 920 ( when 920 was launched it was only the sole App that could let you play with the manual settings )

Shocking thing i found in ProShot for iOS was that the their were very few settings on the phone, If i remember they were just what we had on our basic Microsoft camera ( WP8 ). When i tried tweaking the shutter speed and iso, the phone started to LAG :sweaty: I dont know what was the exact reason,BTW lowest shutter speed it could go was 1/2 or 1/250 i dont remember much.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
On the other note, Yesterday Pro Shot was free for iOS 8 and above even Windows Phone, I insisted my friend to download.
i had used pro shot alot on my 920 ( when 920 was launched it was only the sole App that could let you play with the manual settings )

Shocking thing i found in ProShot for iOS was that the their were very few settings on the phone, If i remember they were just what we had on our basic Microsoft camera ( WP8 ). When i tried tweaking the shutter speed and iso, the phone started to LAG :sweaty: I dont know what was the exact reason,BTW lowest shutter speed it could go was 1/2 or 1/250 i dont remember much.

Well, they hired Nokia's pureview guy, Aki Partanen, few months ago - they might need some help in Cupertino and a year later, they will come to the market telling that they have developed some aaamazing camera features and then the such features will be needed by everyone ... :p

Anyway, here is song for Lumia 1020 - made by Lumia 1020: Ellie Goulding - How Long Will I Love You - YouTube

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

No worries, it's not lag, Apple's API allows you to preview your selected shutter speed. So a shutter speed of 1/2s means that the viewfinder will refresh every 1/2s. The UI still runs at 60fps on top of this.

I'd actually argue Apple's implementation is better, because you get a real-time preview of what your image will look like, while on WP you won't know until after you've captured your image.

Nokia's pureview phones are still the only ones that can do 4s exposures at ISO 3200+ however, and that's a big win in low light. I think iPhones can only go down to 1/2s at ISO 640. That's over 5 stops less light.

Last edited:

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
No worries, it's not lag, Apple's API allows you to preview your selected shutter speed. So a shutter speed of 1/2s means that the viewfinder will refresh every 1/2s. The UI still runs at 60fps on top of this.

I'd argue Apple's implementation is better, because you actually get a real-time preview of what your image will look like, while on WP you won't know until after you've captured your image.

Nokia's pureview phones are still the only ones that can do 4s exposures at ISO 3200+ however, and that's a big win in low light. I think iPhones can only go down to 1/2s at ISO 640

Thanks, but when i fiddled with the phones settings in ProShot, I thought it was a lag, implementation mite be better but for a normal person like me, it felt like a lag.. Got scared and closed the app, as it was not my iPhone, did not want to break it :p
Would love ProShot as a Default Camera App when i press the camera button, wonder when it will come.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Really, well my son's iPhone 5s does so yes, yes it does....the 5c does not. so RIGHTOS right back at ya! Please humor me again and give me some examples of screens popping out or bending of lumias. that is what was mentioned.....waiting..

I never talked about bending, I talked about build issues in general.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-900/196324-screen-popped-out.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mia-930-warped-distorted-camera-pictures.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/295840-lumia-930-overheating.html

http://m.windowscentral.com/your-lumia-930-windows-phone-hot-potato

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/305738-phone-back-melting.html

There are also other people on the forums that have complained of odd hues on their 930 screens. There are others that have complained about their screens being elevated from one side. If I manage to find them, I'll show you their posts as well.

The iPhone bending issue hasn't affected all, or even most, iPhone users. The reason why it has been made out to be so big is because there are tons of iPhone users out there that want to harm the sales of the iPhone.

While Windows Phone, even if their are massive defects, no one cares, they don't sell well as it is.

Lastly from a person that claims to have sold phones you do not know that an iPhone 5 and 5S are a generation apart?

And the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone has worked quite well from what I've seen in real life. Maybe the iPhone fingerprint sensor has its flaws, but there is certainly no better alternative, at least not on Windows Phone.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
like i said before,your living in a dream world if you actually belive that
you keep bashing wp and promoting android everywhere
now all of a sudden , iphone is your fav even though you havent even used an iphone 6
i have a 720,820,z10,1020 ,nexus 5, iphone 6 and iphone 6 plus in my household,i certainly have used all and i totally disagree
ive given you enough proof from proper sources,wake up and dont rely on "experts"
i highly doubt youve used a proper lumia,i dunno about 520 but my 720 and 820 certainly focus much much faster than my nexus 5
about androids 4k etc,its even more laughable when potential android phones dont get updates to enable features which android has had for so long,so its pointless even if android gets it first
about your last point,what are you saying?? 1020 has a 41mp sensor which takes 38mp/34mp and 5mp shots......

My point was can Microsoft Camera, the stock app, snap 38 megapixel photos? Or does it only take 5 MP ones? I'm genuinely curious about this.

As far as autofocus on a Nexus 5 goes, if you want I can have a video on it uploaded soon...it's fast, really fast. Maybe not as fast as phase detection on a Galaxy S5 or iPhone, but still pretty fast.

I'm sure that if he tried the Lumia 830 he will change everything he said about the I sheep 6.

830 stands no chance here. Sorry.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but when i fiddled with the phones settings in ProShot, I thought it was a lag, implementation mite be better but for a normal person like me, it felt like a lag.. Got scared and closed the app, as it was not my iPhone, did not want to break it :p
Would love ProShot as a Default Camera App when i press the camera button, wonder when it will come.

I wonder too, haha. We're almost at 10,000 votes: https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...1596-allow-camera-button-to-launch-a-lens-app

When it hits 10K I'm going to bring it to Microsoft. I hope they'll listen :)

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
My point was can Microsoft Camera, the stock app, snap 38 megapixel photos? Or does it only take 5 MP ones? I'm genuinely curious about this.

Wait, you dont know what camera app does what and your here trying to prove iphone 6 is the best camera phone ?
have you compared the 830 or even tried it out ?

All i can see the statements you making is that no matter which new phones or old phones are in the world, iphone still rocks.....

BTW guys SalmanAhmad is the same guy who was saying iPhone 5s had better camera than 1020.

Quote Originally Posted by salmanahmad View Post
"Actually, no. While people agree that the Lumia 1020 had a great camera sensor, many people don't think that it was the best cameraphone out there. Because a cameraphone experience isn't just based on how good the phone can zoom, it also depends on what features the camera has to offer and how fast it is.

The Verge declares the iPhone 5S as the best cameraphone out there, and rightfully so. It snaps photos lightning fast, it has slow-mo, better flash, HDR Auto, and much more natural colors than a 1020 does, not to mention the huge amount of people complaining about a yellow tint in their photos taken with the 1020.."

ME : iPhone had better Flash ? this just made me laugh. Your comparing xenon to LED xD
HDR auto ? 1020 and 808 have great dynamic range. HDR was'nt much issue, look at the pic attached
78595d1409123651t-hdr.jpg
Natural colors i think, 1020 has good colors on it too.
I agree on slow shot to shot times, but their are people who are OK with it.

Overall you forgot about the camera interface introduced with the 1020 ? many OEMs have started to follow it recently, some company ripped it straight like Nokia.
Xenon flash is farr supirior than LED, any photographer can tell you about it.

If you feel 1020 was just about Zoom, our conversation just ends here.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmad
says the guy who shows his misinformation about how android "invented" meego,symbian,wp,wm,palm os,web os,bbos features
regarding hardware issues
i dunno man something tells me iphones and samsungs explode etc nearly every day
isnt samsung the biggest manufacturer for android and still such poor quality
isnt iphone the only phone running ios,still hardware issues such as home and power buttons breaking off etc

give credit where due,critisize where due
you dont like windows phone,dont come to wpcentral and cry about it especially if you keep comparing a 520 with a nexus 5
you have been proved wrong regarding these very points in the past,dont try to diss wp users,we prefer wp,we bought it,case closed
everyone uses what they love

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

As far as autofocus on a Nexus 5 goes, if you want I can have a video on it uploaded soon...it's fast, really fast. Maybe not as fast as phase detection on a Galaxy S5 or iPhone, but still pretty fast.

ohh boy you dont know how pureview works do you
its called oversampling and has been covered here

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...5mp-images-look-better-than-my-34mp-ones.html

i can take a ferrari and drive it at 60 miles per hour,does that make a normal car better than the ferrari just because both travel at the same speed?
i can take the ferrari onto an empty road and rev it to 200 miles per hour when i want,the normal car cannot do that

see the irony of the example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720