Why the iPhone 6 Camera Beats the 1020

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
These posts are always pretty damn funny and pointless. Yes we get it, iPhone people have to believe their phone is best at everything. Maybe its to justify the price?...who knows. Sorry to hurt all the iPhone fan's feelings but it fails when compared to the 1020 in all areas except speed. 1020 has a bigger sensor, more mp, better quality glass, ability to shoot in raw, zenon flash. To compare the two thinking iPhone has an edge is nonsense. If you want to disregard the 1020 so you can feel better then point to the fact it took its tech from the Nokia Symbian phone. Any other argument either shows you know nothing of what you're talking about or delusional!

Ejai Eghwofobe

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
This. So much this.

Dude, I appreciate your review but you just walked in to a lion's den covered in meat. These people don't take criticism well even if it might mean Microsoft/Nokia improving their cameras in response to Apple's achievement. amrut's photos are really spectacular but photography isn't just about making the person stand there for a couple seconds, it's about those truly spontaneous and special shots that you get just at the spur of the moment. When I had my 920, it was touted as superior low-light but it failed in most things, speed included. Then the images came through processing as a blur and a great camera sensor is something I look for in a cell phone. That along with completely missing some possibly incredible and memorable shots sucked because it was just too damn slow was rough. I gave up on Microsoft sometime ago so I haven't used the 1520 but I think I can suspect what you mean by that delay.

However I can comment on the amount of time it takes to focus using the 6. Wow, it's fast, I mean instant and things really do come out looking great. You just have to choose which phone fits your photography style more.

amrut, if I were you, I'd seriously stop calling people with differing opinions sheep and to take the tinfoil hat off and stop thinking everyone is paid off by Apple because honestly, the OP isn't the one coming off as a flaming ******, it's you. You can disagree but stop acting like a raging child. It doesn't matter if your phone has superior specs, in the end it doesn't mean anything if you didn't get the shot you wanted.

And now to read up on why the 1520 camera fails in comparison to the 1020. Excuse me.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is an interesting argument but is degrading into name calling and insults. Keep this thread on topic and keep it civil otherwise we'll be forced to close this thread.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Boy Physics always wins.....
I am Never said their is a difference between 4S and 6, I SAID THE RESOLUTION IS THE SAME.... i wrote this in CAPS and bold cause i guess you dont read posts properly.

If megapixels was'nt everything ? In that way no manufacture would have increased the megapixel count in the phone which results in more production costs. It is Never about Megapixels, Its about the sensor used.

Pre 1020 era, the phone comparisons only stated Megapixel count, but after the introduction of 920 ,1020 and 1520, many websites started a new trend showing how big is the sensor how big is the aperture.

Let me guess you think, 1020 captures 41 mp images ?

I'd like to make it clear that Nokia has always used relatively large sensors for their phones with autofocus cameras since the Symbian era.

For instance, the Nokia N8-00 has a sensor size of 1/1.83".

Well, the large sensor size combined with the oversampling rather makes the pixel size argument rather moot, as oversampling effectively combines pixels.

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I use my Phones Flash ALOT, Parties, events, Festivals, Crazy **** i tell my nieces to do ( capturing them in mid air ) also for my photography.
As far as i am concerned i wont get back to Phones LED flashes now, Addicted to Xenon Flash.
Those who know how to use a xenon flash will get great pictures in daylight too.

Yeah, Xenon flash is really great in a daylight too, specially in a such case that there is strong backlight behind of your friend ... well, you can not be too far from your friend, but it still works in the such cases (LED flash does not work at all in the similar situations) ... so do not keep Xenon flash off, keep it in auto mode :)

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 has a 2/3 sensor, the iPhone 6 has a 1/2.66. It's quite a bit smaller. If you're saying it's not about megapixels, and it's not, it's about sensor size then right?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to make it clear that Nokia has always used relatively large sensors for their phones with autofocus cameras since the Symbian era.

For instance, the Nokia N8-00 has a sensor size of 1/1.83".

Well, the large sensor size combined with the oversampling rather makes the pixel size argument rather moot, as oversampling effectively combines pixels.

The 41mp on the 1020 is all about providing better digital zoom since no phone has optical zoom at the moment.

The 1020 isn't awesome because any one of those specs, it's awesome because it has all those specs combined. MP, LARGE sensor, better flash, better glass, etc. It's just like any D-SLR you buy, the megapixels isn't the only factor in the quality of the image, its the quality of glass you have, the sensor, things like the number of focal points, etc.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
The 41mp on the 1020 is all about providing better digital zoom since no phone has optical zoom at the moment.

The 1020 isn't awesome because any one of those specs, it's awesome because it has all those specs combined. MP, LARGE sensor, better flash, better glass, etc. It's just like any D-SLR you buy, the megapixels isn't the only factor in the quality of the image, its the quality of glass you have, the sensor, things like the number of focal points, etc.

Looks like you're misinformed. Have you heard of the Samsung galaxy zoom lineup? ==

And... The Lumia only had one focal point

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
In all retrospect the Samsung galaxy zoom series are more camera that's also a phone, while the 1020 is still pretty much viewed as a phone with an amazing camera.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Looks like you're misinformed. Have you heard of the Samsung galaxy zoom lineup? ==

Anyone can attach a Camera to a Phone and it can be the Best Smartphone Camera.
Sony can do this pretty easily, instead they know people don't like bulky phones.
Also, to Point out Samsung Galaxy Zoom's Camera Software is Bad, like really bad. Even the Algorithms. When you select Shutter speed in Nokia Camera, it selects the best possible ISO range or if u select ISO it selects the shutter speed automatically. But in Zoom, you have to to everything manually. Too many trial errors.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

You're kidding right? Galaxy Zooms, now those are funny.

I was talking about focal points on a D-SLR. When buying a D-SLR, you don't just look at the megapixels, you look at other factors like number of auto focus points, sensor size, etc. My point being that one attribute is almost never a reason to buy a camera. It's combination of factors.

a1rphones

May 17, 2013
Visit site
This is how iPhone owners justify their purchase. They obviously became delusional just to justify their decision. iPhone 6 better camera? Wait for iPhone 12...... Maybe it happens. LmAO 😂....

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
This is how iPhone owners justify their purchase. They obviously became delusional just to justify their decision. iPhone 6 better camera? Wait for iPhone 12...... Maybe it happens. LmAO ��....

by then the Lumia 12020 will have released with an even better camera :D :p
and still people will assume the iphone 6 is better than L12020 :D

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
This is how iPhone owners justify their purchase. They obviously became delusional just to justify their decision. iPhone 6 better camera? Wait for iPhone 12...... Maybe it happens. LmAO 😂....

When iPhone 12 would arrive, you would've already got a 100mp Lumia phone or even better.

by then the Lumia 12020 will have released with an even better camera :D :p
and still people will assume the iphone 6 is better than L12020 :D

If iPhone 6 has a very good 8 mp camera, I might say that my 1320's camera is also very good, it doesn't have Optical image stabilization, but has smart stabilization. I can now blindly say that my 5mp camera is better. Also 5mp is more comparable to 8mp, rather than comparing 8mp with 41mp. Same goes with other Lumia phones too. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh this thread's still running?

Anyways what I am going to say having observed many of the responses you guys have given, is that many of you do not know much about photography. No offence but you need to read up more on it.

I'll admit that my knowledge on photography isn't complete either. But many of you keep going on to say the same thing, MEGAPIXELS* MEGAPIXELS* on and on...

Simply put if megapixels we're everything wouldn't that mean the Lumia 925 and iPhone 5S/iPhone 6 have the same type of results? In short, they don't. iPhone flat out beats it.

The OP should have specified that "he" considered the iPhone the best cameraphone for him, and not say it was universal.

But from the points you have read from the OP's post you can at least conclude that the iPhone is the best cameraphone for the majority of people, while 1020 would be for the enthusiasts.

Simply put the way people take photos is that they go someplace, take out a phone and take a few photos in a few seconds of themselves. They just need a camera that works, and works fast and accurately. Not one which can either screw up your shot or make it look great depending on how fortunate you are with the software.

Also RAW shooting is something which enthusiasts would do, not the general population that buys a phone for photography.

The 1020 has a great camera, no doubt. But read some comparisons and on "Auto" mode, the iPhone usually beats it in most real life conditions such as portrait shooting because of more natural colours.

As far as those people here who say that their 1320 is comparable or any other, simply put it isn't. Apple's DIS is on a whole new level, often being compared with true OIS especially in video, all things aside the iPhone does beat most(if not all) 8 MP and below Windows Phones, anything above that is debatable and based on preferences.

Also some of you need to learn the difference between an iPhone 5 and 5S, also the difference between traditional LED flashes, dual LED and Apple(and HTC) amber and LED flashes.

In short, there is no right answer to which smartphone is better for photography, it depends on your preferences.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh this thread's still running?

Anyways what I am going to say having observed many of the responses you guys have given, is that many of you do not know much about photography. No offence but you need to read up more on it.

I'll admit that my knowledge on photography isn't complete either. But many of you keep going on to say the same thing, MEGAPIXELS* MEGAPIXELS* on and on...

Simply put if megapixels we're everything wouldn't that mean the Lumia 925 and iPhone 5S/iPhone 6 have the same type of results? In short, they don't. iPhone flat out beats it.

The OP should have specified that "he" considered the iPhone the best cameraphone for him, and not say it was universal.

But from the points you have read from the OP's post you can at least conclude that the iPhone is the best cameraphone for the majority of people, while 1020 would be for the enthusiasts.

Simply put the way people take photos is that they go someplace, take out a phone and take a few photos in a few seconds of themselves. They just need a camera that works, and works fast and accurately. Not one which can either screw up your shot or make it look great depending on how fortunate you are with the software.

Also RAW shooting is something which enthusiasts would do, not the general population that buys a phone for photography.

The 1020 has a great camera, no doubt. But read some comparisons and on "Auto" mode, the iPhone usually beats it in most real life conditions such as portrait shooting because of more natural colours.

As far as those people here who say that their 1320 is comparable or any other, simply put it isn't. Apple's DIS is on a whole new level, often being compared with true OIS especially in video, all things aside the iPhone does beat most(if not all) 8 MP and below Windows Phones, anything above that is debatable and based on preferences.

Also some of you need to learn the difference between an iPhone 5 and 5S, also the difference between traditional LED flashes, dual LED and Apple(and HTC) amber and LED flashes.

In short, there is no right answer to which smartphone is better for photography, it depends on your preferences.

I know the difference in LED, DUAL LED, amber. and neither beats the xenon flash in the 1020. I know the difference between the 5 and 5s, I guess people who don't use windows phones are DENSE or something considering its common knowledge when I say the iphone 5 has a fingerprint scanner I mean the 5s. What do I expect, I should know better. I am not just spouting mp's, I am spouting real world results. No specs, or numbers. Pure results are the 1020 and also the 1520 etc take, make and output MUCH better photos than anything that has come from the rotten fruit or the little green robot. SIMPLE. RESULTS DON'T LIE.

I have yet to see photos from any other phone that compare to the pureview. unfortunately the isheep have so much wool or whatever pulled over their eyes by the so called revolutionary features from the iphone....(great marketing and kool-aid drinking), they cannot see the forest for the trees.

All they see, hear and read, is what apple says which is gospel supposedly.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
7-8 People out of 10 who mite tend to BUY 1020 will be photo enthusiasts.
Normal person would'nt want a gigantic camera on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb