Why the iPhone 6 Camera Beats the 1020

Status
Not open for further replies.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The day I bought 1020, friends and collegues were in same mind that it will damage the camera lens.
But after a year, no covers, no cases, no screen guards. My phone still looks like new, touchwood. I bet iPhone would'nt be the same after how i use the phone. NOKIA BUILD QUALITY ROCKS.

I agree, Nokia's build quality is the best

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I remember some of you mentioned that 1020's Xenon flash is worse than iPhone 6(+)'s dual tone LED flash because the photos will look unnatural

apart from the red eye, do you really think these photos look that unnatural?
do you really think that the flash messed up the white balance in these examples?
WP_20140728_06_15_54_Pro.jpg WP_20140724_20_23_42_Pro.jpg WP_20140724_20_23_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20140708_18_52_16_Pro.jpg WP_20140708_18_04_29_Pro.jpg WP_20140521_18_21_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20140411_19_59_27_Pro.jpg WP_20140410_18_40_37_Pro.jpg WP_20140405_21_07_48_Pro.jpg
WP_20140405_20_29_53_Pro.jpg WP_20140405_20_27_31_Pro.jpg WP_20140405_20_08_25_Pro.jpg

these photos were taken with flash and auto white balance
picture scaled down from 5 MP to 480p to speed up uploading process (mind you, the internet in Indonesia is quite miserable)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Blur free? Ya as long as there's not a single movement during the capture. I had many more blurred images with my 1020 vs my previous 920.

Posted via Nexus 5 WPC App

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Blur free? Ya as long as there's not a single movement during the capture. I had many more blurred images with my 1020 vs my previous 920.

Posted via Nexus 5 WPC App

Yes Blur Free, i never got Blurred Images in a Party with my 1020. Can you post images with 1020 which were blurred? I am talking about context with Xenon Flash

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
the blurriest camera in my collection is the Nexus 5
nexus 5<<Z10<<Lumia 820<<Lumia 720 in terms of autofocus , low light etc
the best overall is the Lumia 820 which isnt as good as the 720 in low light otherwise its an awesome camera

Cameron Todd

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Oh this thread's still running?

Anyways what I am going to say having observed many of the responses you guys have given, is that many of you do not know much about photography. No offence but you need to read up more on it.

I'll admit that my knowledge on photography isn't complete either. But many of you keep going on to say the same thing, MEGAPIXELS* MEGAPIXELS* on and on...

Simply put if megapixels we're everything wouldn't that mean the Lumia 925 and iPhone 5S/iPhone 6 have the same type of results? In short, they don't. iPhone flat out beats it.

The OP should have specified that "he" considered the iPhone the best cameraphone for him, and not say it was universal.

But from the points you have read from the OP's post you can at least conclude that the iPhone is the best cameraphone for the majority of people, while 1020 would be for the enthusiasts.

Simply put the way people take photos is that they go someplace, take out a phone and take a few photos in a few seconds of themselves. They just need a camera that works, and works fast and accurately. Not one which can either screw up your shot or make it look great depending on how fortunate you are with the software.

Also RAW shooting is something which enthusiasts would do, not the general population that buys a phone for photography.

The 1020 has a great camera, no doubt. But read some comparisons and on "Auto" mode, the iPhone usually beats it in most real life conditions such as portrait shooting because of more natural colours.

As far as those people here who say that their 1320 is comparable or any other, simply put it isn't. Apple's DIS is on a whole new level, often being compared with true OIS especially in video, all things aside the iPhone does beat most(if not all) 8 MP and below Windows Phones, anything above that is debatable and based on preferences.

Also some of you need to learn the difference between an iPhone 5 and 5S, also the difference between traditional LED flashes, dual LED and Apple(and HTC) amber and LED flashes.

In short, there is no right answer to which smartphone is better for photography, it depends on your preferences.
Zero facts at all to back your statement up.

7-8 People out of 10 who mite tend to BUY 1020 will be photo enthusiasts.
Normal person would'nt want a gigantic camera on the phone.
Based on what statistics??

Last edited by a moderator:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
only lumias have true manual controls
the other phones just have digital effects etc
the pureview sensor has perfect optical zoom and downscaling

Lol at Lumias only having manual controls. There are other phones with manual controls out there.

The best part of xenon flash is you get blur free photo's and bright images, with top notch quality.

I honestly don't understand the point you keep trying to make, it's not that Xenon flashes ensure a "blur free" image.

The thing about Xenon that at the time it was released it was probably brighter than other flashes. The 1020 simply fires the extremely bright flash and ramps up ISO significantly to get a blur free image.

I would imagine that other phones with flash nowadays(even LED ones) can take blur free photos, considering that a lot of phones can take ISO higher than the Lumia 1020.

I'm unable to find any internet articles about Xenon taking blur free photos, phones with LED flash can do the same provided they have a high enough ISO support.

the blurriest camera in my collection is the Nexus 5
nexus 5<<Z10<<Lumia 820<<Lumia 720 in terms of autofocus , low light etc
the best overall is the Lumia 820 which isnt as good as the 720 in low light otherwise its an awesome camera

Once again, this thread wasn't meant for you to bring in your other Windows Phone devices. Talk about the devices mentioned by the OP; 1020, iPhone 6 and Nexus 5.

720 doesn't come close to what the Nexus can do, no matter what you say. But that's another thread for another day.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Lol at Lumias only having manual controls. There are other phones with manual controls out there.

I honestly don't understand the point you keep trying to make, it's not that Xenon flashes ensure a "blur free" image.

The thing about Xenon that at the time it was released it was probably brighter than other flashes. The 1020 simply fires the extremely bright flash and ramps up ISO significantly to get a blur free image.

I would imagine that other phones with flash nowadays(even LED ones) can take blur free photos, considering that a lot of phones can take ISO higher than the Lumia 1020.

I'm unable to find any internet articles about Xenon taking blur free photos, phones with LED flash can do the same provided they have a high enough ISO support.

Once again, this thread wasn't meant for you to bring in your other Windows Phone devices. Talk about the devices mentioned by the OP; 1020, iPhone 6 and Nexus 5.

720 doesn't come close to what the Nexus can do, no matter what you say. But that's another thread for another day.

It doesn't matter what you think, everybody understands the difference between a xenon& dual led flash. I've already told this is not the first Nokia phone with a xenon flash. Previously many Nokia phones, Sony etc. had it. Xenon is not only brighter, but also better than led flash in almost all aspects.
No phone on this planet has a better camera than 1020, so deal with it.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't matter what you think, everybody understands the difference between a xenon& dual led flash. I've already told this is not the first Nokia phone with a xenon flash. Previously many Nokia phones, Sony etc. had it. Xenon is not only brighter, but also better than led flash in almost all aspects.

You guys keep implying that the iPhone has a "regular" dual LED set up, the iPhone 5S and 6 do not have the lackluster LED setup that was found on phones before.

The iPhone combines a regular LED with an amber one to produce more natural skin tones than most other phones out there.

As far as taking moving photos with flash goes, you'll probably find phones better than the 1020 out there for this *particular* purpose.

The 1020 is also not an undisputed king in photography in all aspects, since the time it came out that are other phones that can do more than it can in particular fields.

But bringing the topic back to the iPhone, taking a video is part of the whole mobile photography experience? Am I right?

Doesn't the iPhone take better video? Can the 1020(or any Windows Phone for that matter) record 60 FPS 1080p or 240 FPS slow-mo?

No the 1020 and Xenon flashes in mobile aren't the best on this planet in their respective fields.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
You guys keep implying that the iPhone has a "regular" dual LED set up, the iPhone 5S and 6 do not have the lackluster LED setup that was found on phones before.

The iPhone combines a regular LED with an amber one to produce more natural skin tones than most other phones out there.

As far as taking moving photos with flash goes, you'll probably find phones better than the 1020 out there for this *particular* purpose.

The 1020 is also not an undisputed king in photography in all aspects, since the time it came out that are other phones that can do more than it can in particular fields.

But bringing the topic back to the iPhone, taking a video is part of the whole mobile photography experience? Am I right?

Doesn't the iPhone take better video? Can the 1020(or any Windows Phone for that matter) record 60 FPS 1080p or 240 FPS slow-mo?

No the 1020 and Xenon flashes in mobile aren't the best on this planet in their respective fields.

Again, you have it wrong, the XENON flash enables me to take action shots of my son playing hockey in a dim stadium with my 1020. No IPhone can do that,

then, onto video, slow mo is a gimmick to sucker weak minded people like yourself into thinking its an awesome "revolutionary" feature. GO find the article here where an editor uses his 1020 to video a concert, its way better than the new iPhone.

Man, give it up, the iPhone is not a better phone at photography than the 1020. proven fact again and again.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Again, you have it wrong, the XENON flash enables me to take action shots of my son playing hockey in a dim stadium with my 1020. No IPhone can do that,

then, onto video, slow mo is a gimmick to sucker weak minded people like yourself into thinking its an awesome "revolutionary" feature. GO find the article here where an editor uses his 1020 to video a concert, its way better than the new iPhone.

Man, give it up, the iPhone is not a better phone at photography than the 1020. proven fact again and again.

Yes, I've read that article. I also found it funny that you forgot to mention this from the article:

1413287722328.jpg

Speed plays a role in photography, whether you admit it or not.

As far as video goes, Daniel talked more about the amazing audio and the zoom that you could achieve(no point when most of the time the ISO was so high) on Windows Phones(which has its own advantages and disadvantages).

As far as video goes, obviously you'll dismiss many features as gimmicks simply because Windows Phone doesn't have them.

But as far 60 FPS 1080p goes, it's a very nice feature and slow-mo also makes for some pretty amazing footage.

Slow-Mo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_8F4hcbwo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcs6GbIK0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPPBv2XhDfQ

30 vs 60 fps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nU2_ERC_oE

Once again, 1020 is not king. It depends on your preferences.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Wow, Nokia previously had 5!! SO MANY!!!

Define better... if not in terms of range and brightness.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
to OP or some other rich guy, please snap some portraits with the iPhone 6/6+ with flash on so we can compare it with the one I uploaded in this thread

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow, Nokia previously had 5!! SO MANY!!!

Define better... if not in terms of range and brightness.

what other aspect that could be counted, anyway?

and don't say that it's about the color!
color reproduction is a matter of software and algorithms so you can't really blame the Xenon for that

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
what other aspect that could be counted, anyway?

and don't say that it's about the color!
color reproduction is a matter of software and algorithms so you can't really blame the Xenon for that

Actually we can, as a matter of fact.

Too harshly blown lights blow out details and colours. Which is why people use a diffuser.

"Xenon is not only brighter, but also better than led flash in almost all aspects.". That's what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster