all i miss is the s pen and multiwindow
otherwise the 1520 is wayy better
i even got rid of touchwiz towards the end and used CM and MIUI
still pathetic performance and battery

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
As someone who is a hobbyist application developer, let me tell you that there's loopholes in every operating system. Mobile or desktop. Every operating system can be hacked, it's just a matter of finding the right loopholes to exploit. Windows Phone has security through obscurity but if it gets more popular, expect malware to increase considerably.

actually they did find a loophole in WP but it couldnt be exploited
i highly doubt BB10,WP and ios will get a proper virus like androids malware
ios did have 2 such instances but it was patched quickly before any damage

RZR666

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Note 4. I worry it might be too big, but I thought that when I upgraded to a bigger phone years ago and I haven't looked back since.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
As someone who is a hobbyist application developer, let me tell you that there's loopholes in every operating system. Mobile or desktop. Every operating system can be hacked, it's just a matter of finding the right loopholes to exploit. Windows Phone has security through obscurity but if it gets more popular, expect malware to increase considerably.

Its already the third most popular OS. I don't see why people always complain about popularity

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Plant one & prove it. Even if you're successful that doesn't change the fact that WP is way more secure than android. I have friends who've got viruses many times even when they didn't root their android phone.

There are certain aspects where Windows Phone is more secure, and certain that Android is more secure in.

As a whole Windows Phone doesn't earn a higher spot than Android in security with a lot of experts, your friends probably pirate applications and install from unknown sources.
Its already the third most popular OS. I don't see why people always complain about popularity
That's honesty like saying that you came 3rd in a classroom with 3 people, because these are the only three competitors left.

As a whole last I checked Windows Phone's market share was lower than 5%, and the number of active KitKat devices was larger than the number of total active Windows Phones.

Android is nearly 8 times more popular than Windows Phone globally, which is why it is targeted.

The same reason why Windows is targeted more than Mac.

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
numbers dont make or break anything
quality does
sure windows phone isnt everyones cup of tea but guess what sooner or later,people will get bored of android and ios and get a windows phone
how do you think ios and android became popular over the behemoth - symbian anyway?
its the basic rule of nature,no one will shell out money again and again for the same experience as their old phone on their new phone

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
There are certain aspects where Windows Phone is more secure, and certain that Android is more secure in.

As a whole Windows Phone doesn't earn a higher spot than Android in security with a lot of experts, your friends probably pirate applications and install from unknown sources.

That's honesty like saying that you came 3rd in a classroom with 3 people, because these are the only three competitors left.

As a whole last I checked Windows Phone's market share was lower than 5%, and the number of active KitKat devices was larger than the number of total active Windows Phones.

Android is nearly 8 times more popular than Windows Phone globally, which is why it is targeted.

The same reason why Windows is targeted more than Mac.

Well in security, that's not the case with WP. One of my friend has already jailbreaked his 925 & he downloads apps/games from unknown sources, he did that before with his old L710. In Android downloading apps from unknown sources is a major reason for viruses, not WP.
As far as popularity goes, it can't be counted, you can't say that Android is 8 times more popular. You're getting mistaken with market share. Just because fiat sells more cars than rolls Royce doesn't make rolls Royce less popular. I know many people say WP is worse, it doesn't have this, that etc, but they could say that only if they're aware that WP OS exists. Android, iOS is popular but that doesn't make wp less popular. I know ways to plant viruses in Windows & Mac as well, Mac is very popular even when it has less than 5% market share.
WP wasn't at the third spot by default, when Nokia came with WP, it was still manufacturing Symbian phones, BB still exists & a lot more OSes exists even today.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
numbers dont make or break anything
quality does
sure windows phone isnt everyones cup of tea but guess what sooner or later,people will get bored of android and ios and get a windows phone
how do you think ios and android became popular over the behemoth - symbian anyway?
its the basic rule of nature,no one will shell out money again and again for the same experience as their old phone on their new phone

If people we're so quick to get bored of operating system, most of Windows Phone's market would have died already.

Android and iOS have received overhauls in the past few years so that people don't get bored of them, Windows Phone for the most part has remained the same.

And talking on the topic of Android, getting bored ain't easy because of so much customisation.

The experience of Android specifically gets way more functional with each update, can't say the same about iOS or Windows Phone.

Well in security, that's not the case with WP. One of my friend has already jailbreaked his 925 & he downloads apps/games from unknown sources, he did that before with his old L710. In Android downloading apps from unknown sources is a major reason for viruses, not WP.
As far as popularity goes, it can't be counted, you can't say that Android is 8 times more popular. You're getting mistaken with market share. Just because fiat sells more cars than rolls Royce doesn't make rolls Royce less popular. I know many people say WP is worse, it doesn't have this, that etc, but they could say that only if they're aware that WP OS exists. Android, iOS is popular but that doesn't make wp less popular. I know ways to plant viruses in Windows & Mac as well, Mac is very popular even when it has less than 5% market share.
WP wasn't at the third spot by default, when Nokia came with WP, it was still manufacturing Symbian phones, BB still exists & a lot more OSes exists even today.

Downloading apps from unknown sources isn't a "major" reason for viruses until someone can statistically prove it.

Even if your friend has a jailbroken 925 and previously 710, what is the total percentage of people that do that?

I know that you can install XAPs from your PC to your Windows Phone without the Windows Store, but there is a limit of only 2 apps that you can install!

On Android enabling unknown sources is easier, so is installing apps and downloading them thus it gets targeted more.

Also market share doesn't coincide with popularity completely but in Windows Phone's case it somewhat does.

The iPhone has a low market share but even those that can't afford it will know about it. Android's popularity is high anyways, so is market share.

Windows Phone just ain't popular, at least in many countries or people I've seen and talked to. Hell I've seen more Nokia X devices than I have any budget Windows Phones out there in the wild.

Windows Phone was one of the most competent smartphone platforms backed up by one of the richest companies, BlackBerry was bound to fail and so was Symbian so the fact that Windows Phone is number three isn't a huge, if at all, achievement.

Android's security, especially with more recent versions isn't something to be hugely concerned about.

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
If people we're so quick to get bored of operating system, most of Windows Phone's market would have died already.

Android and iOS have received overhauls in the past few years so that people don't get bored of them, Windows Phone for the most part has remained the same.

And talking on the topic of Android, getting bored ain't easy because of so much customisation.

The experience of Android specifically gets way more functional with each update, can't say the same about iOS or Windows Phone.

Downloading apps from unknown sources isn't a "major" reason for viruses until someone can statistically prove it.

Even if your friend has a jailbroken 925 and previously 710, what is the total percentage of people that do that?

I know that you can install XAPs from your PC to your Windows Phone without the Windows Store, but there is a limit of only 2 apps that you can install!

On Android enabling unknown sources is easier, so is installing apps and downloading them thus it gets targeted more.

Also market share doesn't coincide with popularity completely but in Windows Phone's case it somewhat does.

The iPhone has a low market share but even those that can't afford it will know about it. Android's popularity is high anyways, so is market share.

Windows Phone just ain't popular, at least in many countries or people I've seen and talked to. Hell I've seen more Nokia X devices than I have any budget Windows Phones out there in the wild.

Windows Phone was one of the most competent smartphone platforms backed up by one of the richest companies, BlackBerry was bound to fail and so was Symbian so the fact that Windows Phone is number three isn't a huge, if at all, achievement.

Android's security, especially with more recent versions isn't something to be hugely concerned about.

i highly doubt that
my friends phone has had quite a few instances of malware and lost money thanks to it
Blackberry and symbian werent bound to fail
android was bound to fail then it copied ios and used competitive pricing
android has malware right in play store so i wouldnt blame its poor security completely on unknown sources
ok lets assume what you said is true for a moment,tell me why BB10 doesnt have malware yet then? It doesnt even have play services etc,only relies on unknown sources
android and ios are too busy competing to notice windows phone in 6th gear,accelerating to overtake them with windows 10
android and ios have reached a certain saturation,now all that is changing is the UI but people arent taking the change properly
I myself switched from android to windows phone and havent found enough reasons to shift back
whats the chances of more people thinking in my way

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
i highly doubt that
my friends phone has had quite a few instances of malware and lost money thanks to it
Blackberry and symbian werent bound to fail
android was bound to fail then it copied ios and used competitive pricing
android has malware right in play store so i wouldnt blame its poor security completely on unknown sources
ok lets assume what you said is true for a moment,tell me why BB10 doesnt have malware yet then? It doesnt even have play services etc,only relies on unknown sources
android and ios are too busy competing to notice windows phone in 6th gear,accelerating to overtake them with windows 10
android and ios have reached a certain saturation,now all that is changing is the UI but people arent taking the change properly
I myself switched from android to windows phone and havent found enough reasons to shift back
whats the chances of more people thinking in my way

Possibly the best way to sum up Windows Phone in a few paragraphs is this, courtesy of an AC member:

The inherent flaws with WP8 is that it has all of the limitations of iOS, but none of the app support to make up for it. It's basically a crippled iOS with a different UI.

"In the beginning, Android didn't have the app support of iOS either. But how it differed was the free reign it gave you to your files, and it allowed customization like widgets/rooting/launchers/custom ROMs etc.

WP8 has none of that. It has nothing going for it compared to iOS or Android."

Also Android didn't copy iOS during it's inception anymore than Windows Phone did. Android has always kept a distinct UI. And you can't copy "competitive pricing". The term and strategy existed long before Android, Apple did not come up with it.

Honestly speaking what viruses have you or your friends experienced? What we're they like and what happened? Maybe you guys are making a fuss over nothing?

The chances of more thinking your way are slim, the chances of people thinking to opposite may be larger.

Honestly Windows 10 is offering barely anything Android hasn't been offering since maybe 2012...?

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Possibly the best way to sum up Windows Phone in a few paragraphs is this, courtesy of an AC member:

The inherent flaws with WP8 is that it has all of the limitations of iOS, but none of the app support to make up for it. It's basically a crippled iOS with a different UI.

"In the beginning, Android didn't have the app support of iOS either. But how it differed was the free reign it gave you to your files, and it allowed customization like widgets/rooting/launchers/custom ROMs etc.

WP8 has none of that. It has nothing going for it compared to iOS or Android."

Also Android didn't copy iOS during it's inception anymore than Windows Phone did. Android has always kept a distinct UI. And you can't copy "competitive pricing". The term and strategy existed long before Android, Apple did not come up with it.

Honestly speaking what viruses have you or your friends experienced? What we're they like and what happened? Maybe you guys are making a fuss over nothing?

The chances of more thinking your way are slim, the chances of people thinking to opposite may be larger.

Honestly Windows 10 is offering barely anything Android hasn't been offering since maybe 2012...?

i beg to differ windows 10 is already a major plus on my laptop and i dont see why the phone version wont be just as great
the only reason android became popular was because symbian and ios were slow to adapt
android was a fluke nothing else,if you ask me windows mobile and symbian were way better than android 1-2.3
I wouldnt accept an AC members verdict of windows phone because he probably hasnt used one properly and is just assuming windows phone is bad
I would accept someone who has used all of them such as my brother or my bf instead
also android is arguably the most malware ridden platform ive used
a fuss over nothing?? well i wouldnt call credit card hacking a fuss over nothing
windows phone didnt copy ios or android
you forget symbian was owned by Nokia/MS and so was windows mobile(owned by MS) and the ill fated N900 and N9- meego(Nokia)
so windows phone is technically the successor for these old contenders
android lacks proper security,design,bugfree usage(android L is buggier than WP8.1 and ios8.1) etc

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
i beg to differ windows 10 is already a major plus on my laptop and i dont see why the phone version wont be just as great
the only reason android became popular was because symbian and ios were slow to adapt
android was a fluke nothing else,if you ask me windows mobile and symbian were way better than android 1-2.3
I wouldnt accept an AC members verdict of windows phone because he probably hasnt used one properly and is just assuming windows phone is bad
I would accept someone who has used all of them such as my brother or my bf instead
also android is arguably the most malware ridden platform ive used
a fuss over nothing?? well i wouldnt call credit card hacking a fuss over nothing
windows phone didnt copy ios or android
you forget symbian was owned by Nokia/MS and so was windows mobile(owned by MS) and the ill fated N900 and N9- meego(Nokia)
so windows phone is technically the successor for these old contenders
android lacks proper security,design,bugfree usage(android L is buggier than WP8.1 and ios8.1) etc

When evidence is nonexistent for most of your claims, the point of arguing is negated because you will likely never learn.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
When evidence is nonexistent for most of your claims, the point of arguing is negated because you will likely never learn.

Just helping the guy (or gal) you're supposed to reply to...
My friend's Android phones have never used apps outside the Google Play store, yet he experienced this bug/virus/worm that fill up his gallery and renders his camera unusable.

The worst part of it is he was not alone...

And claiming Windows Phone is a "crippled iOS with different UI" is a far cry or perhaps an outdated argument from someone who haven't used Windows Phone since Mango.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Just helping the guy (or gal) you're supposed to reply to...
My friend's Android phones have never used apps outside the Google Play store, yet he experienced this bug/virus/worm that fill up his gallery and renders his camera unusable.

The worst part of it is he was not alone...

And claiming Windows Phone is a "crippled iOS with different UI" is a far cry or perhaps an outdated argument from someone who haven't used Windows Phone since Mango.

I know, iOS can do more. But that's another discussion.

What error did the camera throw in your friend's device and what device was it?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I know, iOS can do more. But that's another discussion.

What error did the camera throw in your friend's device and what device was it?

well, it's not iOS who has the best implementation of folders :)

I can't remember the specific device, but it was a mid/low-range Samsung phone
it said something like "memory full" despite there were quite a lot of spaces available

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
well, it's not iOS who has the best implementation of folders :)

I can't remember the specific device, but it was a mid/low-range Samsung phone
it said something like "memory full" despite there were quite a lot of spaces available

He pirated apps, extremely likely he did. Your description of the virus is vague, and anyone who gets a virus denies that he was ever at fault. Also since his device is a low end Samsung device it is likely he never got an update and it was running an outdated version of Android.

Significant progress in security has been made since then, and I haven't heard of a person getting a virus on his Note 4(the device getting discussed in this thread)

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
He pirated apps, extremely likely he did. Your description of the virus is vague, and anyone who gets a virus denies that he was ever at fault. Also since his device is a low end Samsung device it is likely he never got an update and it was running an outdated version of Android.

Significant progress in security has been made since then, and I haven't heard of a person getting a virus on his Note 4(the device getting discussed in this thread)

Denial is denial :)

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

pirated apps???
play store itself has malware
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=g...4.3494j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
a simple google search will tell you that much

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
pirated apps???
play store itself has malware
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=g...4.3494j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
a simple google search will tell you that much

Android being arguably the most popular operating system out there is targeted quite a bit with these exploits.

But show me an example where anyone has lost data or has gotten damage through such hacks...?

Google has a pretty robust system to prevent malware even once it has been found on the Play Store, Google Play Services updates keep users from losing any data.

Windows Phone employs many of the same security techniques as the full fledged Windows, yet I wonder why Windows has more reports of hacks and malware than Windows Phone?

I admit that there are places where Windows Phone is significantly more secure than competing operating systems, but that doesn't mean it can't be exploited/hacked, it's just that consumers show very little interest in this platform and hackers show even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99