Android Lollipop looking good (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
First off I know that this topic will instigate a lot of discussion among the community and that is why I placed it under phone wars.

To begin with I've tried quite a few Windows Phone devices, including the low end ones(Lumia 520) and the higher end ones(1020, 1520), I've also been testing out Android and iOS for quite some time now, and despite having started out as someone who didn't know(or have interest in these types of things) I've found a certain type of passion for them.

I recently got my Nexus 5 back from repair(camera had autofocus issues) and ever since I've flashed Android Lollipop onto the device(the developer preview) and I can confidently say that this is possibly the best OS I've ever tried to date, and it bridges any small gap Android and Windows Phone had.

While Material Design is in itself a discussion and not everyone can be pleased with the same kind of design, I find that the way more colourful, elegant and animated Android Lollipop definitely wins over the more black or white Windows Phone and I'll explain why.

Material Design's whole new concept of knowing where everything comes from and where everything goes definitely, in my opinion, beats whatever Windows Phone has to offer. More on that can be found here:

Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Review! - YouTube

The flatter colours(as some people describe them) are only part of what makes this OS so amazing, you have to use it to just see how amazing it is!

Moving onwards from the visual overhaul Android's implementation of multitasking and notifications was already better than Windows Phone, but they've beefed them up as well(see the video above).

Many of the issues that people had on this site with Android we're divided into the following portion:

- Performance: Everyone here believes that Android is laggy, while that may have been the case many years ago I've found that KitKat was amazing. But Android Lollipop just takes that a step further with the new buttery smooth 60 FPS and ART runtime. Anything my 1520 could do, my Nexus 5 could do much much faster(they have similar hardware btw).

- Security: Google has beefed up security as well with out of the box encryption(not on Windows Phone) and they've also enabled some other things(which I don't fully understand) such as Selinux(or whatever it's called). Me and a lot of other Android users have never experienced malware, but this just breathes in a lot more confidence.

- Photography: Windows Phone led this area for quite some time, and in some ways still does. However all the people on these forums that kept throwing around that Android doesn't have manual focus, ISO or shutter speed control, here's your answer:

(We also have an 8 MP burst mode:)

Android "L" Feature Spotlight: New Camera API Enables Burst Mode, Thorough Control Over Photos, And Much More

- Issues with Google Services: There are people here that believe Google is a spying company and Microsoft are angels, we'll people like you are offered with the same Microsoft services you would find on Windows Phone(sometimes even better!). You can completely replace any and all Google services.

- Battery life: People have consistently believed that Windows Phone has better battery life, while that may have been true, it's all about to change with Project Volta:

Examining Project Volta: We put Android L through our battery test | Ars Technica

The other stuff: Android Lollipop also features tons of other features that Windows Phone users can only dream of. Which includes personal unlocking, better face unlocking, tons of more under the hood changes.

And I'll throw in one extra feature: Android has thrown in low latency audio processing and we'll see real time karoke(and other such advanced apps) very soon in Android Lollipop.

Google brings low latency audio processing to Android L - Liliputing

Honestly after having used Android Lollipop I don't see myself switching to Windows Phone anytime soon ever again.

Your thoughts and opinions on Android Lollipop?

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
BTW FYI, WP has device encryption (bitlocker) too. You may correct that in your post.
From what I've read Windows Phone does have it but it is only enabled by business, can't be enabled/disabled by consumers.

Android has had it for years, but now it's enabled out of the box.

Btw here's another video that demos some more features:

http://youtu.be/C1tCYNMzF6k

Android also has options like screen pinning and multi user profiles, a hardware assisted hotword and other improvements.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Real time karaoke... Mmmm that's something I will definitely miss NOT.

After all this pain in the *** android had been in my past (2-3y ago) and how google behaves towards wp users I don't think so.

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hmm I like your post. Don't think you are a fan boy. Just that you really like android lollipop. Lol your post really shows your enthusiasm :). You clearly stated why you like it, and how previous perceptions may be wrong now.
Whether the op is wrong or right, I liked reading the post.

You may want to change topic title though, as some of what you said is subjective.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Move along folks, just another android ******
I would much appreciate logical criticism.
Replace any and all google services? How about deleting them?
If your that against Google and it's services, you have two solutions:

1) Disable them.
2) Root.
Real time karaoke... Mmmm that's something I will definitely miss NOT.

After all this pain in the *** android had been in my past (2-3y ago) and how google behaves towards wp users I don't think so.
Google can make your lives way way worse, just saying.

And you don't know what your missing when you don't have it, this is especially true for Windows Phone.

Hmm I like your post. Don't think you are a fan boy. Just that you really like android lollipop. Lol your post really shows your enthusiasm :). You clearly stated why you like it, and how previous perceptions may be wrong now.
Whether the op is wrong or right, I liked reading the post.

You may want to change topic title though, as some of what you said is subjective.

I didn't want to biased but this update was really exciting, didn't expect it to be this great.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Android only achieved it's marketshare because Apple decided to join exclusively with Cingular when they launched the iPhone, and Android was free and Verizon went all in on pushing Droid. That free price point and high customizability helped it sell on lower end phones around the world as well.

As of late, Android looks and runs better than it ever has. That is a compliment, but only so much, because it was just plain awful in the past. And of course, every OS only gets better over time. I'm not bashing Android, but I'm not going to be standing in line to buy one either. I really like Windows Phone and I'm excited to see what Microsoft has in store for Windows 10 phones.

Last edited:

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Meh, Flat and faded. I don't like the animation at all. Don't like a cartoony phone. It's good that its less laggy and maybe doesn't drain battery. I don't know how often I am going to be lending my phone to anyone. And then there's all the awful google encroachment that comes with Android.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Love my Nexus 5 running 4.4.4 and eagerly awaiting the official release of Lollipop, refuse to install the developer preview.

To be honest, a lot of the major changes highlighted in Lollipop dont get me overly excited right now...from the videos it just looks like a re-skinned KitKat. With that said, everyone who uses it has nothing but great things to say about it so i guess i do have to try it for myself. Really hope Nov 3 is the release for Nexus devices.

teller34

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 and have had several android phones. I still have a galaxy s4 and an iphone for work. When sitting idle the galaxy still drains at an unacceptable rate. The iPhone 5s made it through the week sitting mostly idle while the galaxy died in 2 days. Android may be getting better but you have to understand where people are coming from. My galaxy s4(which has a descent processor) lags after a while of running it. The iPhone and personal windows phone I have never give me such troubles. They may be getting better but one has to wonder if they're writing bad patches over bad code. These new deserts they come out with are, to the best of my, knowledge not rewrites but are rather upgrades, add on and patches. It kind of reminds me of old versions of windows. Bad code. Lets add a couple of features, hopefully patch a couple of problems (notice I didn't say fix), and throw it out as a massive upgrade.I'm not against Android or IOS. I have both. It's just that Android guys say mines the best period and you'd sux. They all have their pluses and minuses'.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 and have had several android phones. I still have a galaxy s4 and an iphone for work. When sitting idle the galaxy still drains at an unacceptable rate. The iPhone 5s made it through the week sitting mostly idle while the galaxy died in 2 days. Android may be getting better but you have to understand where people are coming from. My galaxy s4(which has a descent processor) lags after a while of running it. The iPhone and personal windows phone I have never give me such troubles. They may be getting better but one has to wonder if they're writing bad patches over bad code. These new deserts they come out with are, to the best of my, knowledge not rewrites but are rather upgrades, add on and patches. It kind of reminds me of old versions of windows. Bad code. Lets add a couple of features, hopefully patch a couple of problems (notice I didn't say fix), and throw it out as a massive upgrade.I'm not against Android or IOS. I have both. It's just that Android guys say mines the best period and you'd sux. They all have their pluses and minuses'.

Samsung devices are equipped with a lot of bloatware and the heavy TouchWIZ UI also bogs it down. But that isn't Android's fault, it's Samsungs.

Watch the videos of Android Lollipop that I've linked, Android has arguably the best updates equipped with the most features.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Samsung devices are equipped with a lot of bloatware and the heavy TouchWIZ UI also bogs it down. But that isn't Android's fault, it's Samsungs.

Watch the videos of Android Lollipop that I've linked, Android has arguably the best updates equipped with the most features.
You know what they say opinions are like aholes. And you have an opinion. Not the right one, but.....one. WP is much better than android.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Nothing wrong with your post, but I do have to say that WP is the one watching from BEHIND what IOS and ANDROID are doing so with that said if I'm watching the competition's releases and working on what is to be a completely new OS if I'm Android or IOS I'd be wondering what else can I do that would make it hard for MS to better. What can also be said against MS's potential growth is that they'd be looking to bring features that both IOS and Android would have already released to their users. So the ? is what can MS bring to the table that would have IOS and Android users asking when/if they will get that as well instead of constantly the other way around!!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I really wish phone wars didn't exist. I used to hate the site appleinsider because users attacked each other over strong personal views, and yet here (not necessarily this thread) we have lots of antagonist viewpoints which really don't add to the site. Some like Android, others IOS, others Windows phone... We don't need to hear about it. It's not helping or really informing which is the goal of sites like this.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Definitely agree that Android is the most feature packed OS at the moment. 99% of Android phones are not running stock android an therein lies my problem with the platform. Either you have to buy a nexus or spend time flashing another rom to remove the bloatware. Lollipop + Touchwiz = Lollipoop.

Also the back UI in windows phone serves the purpose of consuming less power on OMELED displays... Apple gets away with the white because they use LCD exclusively, I'm not sure that this is going to be the greatest idea on the Android platform...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte