Android Lollipop looking good (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Mobile. It's over. The only reason Apple's still in the game is because they were first, and frankly, their product kicks the **** out of most of their competitor's phones.

Read Jeff Bezos' comments about Amazon. He is smart enough to observe that no company has ever remained on top. Nothing's ever "over" in business, and the only constant is change. Your comment is really just addressing the current landscape, which has very limited usefulness.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
"there is a reason you don't see Android devices used in the enterprise. Security being the biggest factor. I know where I work there are NO Android devices at all except for personal devices and those don't connect to our network. Where my wife works, they have instructions for setting up the company's email for iPhone and Windows Phone. Android is specifically barred from doing this."

Exactly so! Same in the case of many of my major customers for translations (and forbidden usage of any cloud service, like in ANY whatsoever).

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I am currently on stock Android 4.4.4 KitKat on my Moto E and previously used Lumia 520 with WP8.I cant say for sure that either OS is better than the other in every aspect.Some things are better in android while some were better in wp8.So for me it really comes down to hardware choice. Choosing which OS to use is easy but choosing which phone to buy is much more difficult task.There are only 3 major OS while hundreds of different phones to choose from.I think its about time manufacturers start offering phones equipped with both Android and WP.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Just had to get that bit of condescension in there at the end, didn't ya? Tell me, where can I turn on the encryption in the settings on my Windows Phone, again?

Personally, I would like to see Microsoft enable encryption on Windows Phone and in fact I think all files and transfers of data should be encrypted.

However, don't forget how we got here: Android's nasty little habit of only deleting the directory tree when the device is reset and Google's negligence in leaving hundreds of millions of Android users blissfully unaware of the necessity of encrypting the contents of their phones.

Windows Phone however, doesn't suffer this flaw. When a Windows Phone is reset, personal files are deleted before the directory tree goes the same way.

Also, I can say with confidence that should a security flaw be discovered in Windows Phone 8, Microsoft will incorporate a fix into a future update which everyone should get. No one is left in the cold, unaware of a problem with their device as all those who own all but the very latest Samsung Galaxies, etc currently are.

What you are suffering is called cognitive dissonance - that feeling you get when you've committed yourself to a point of view, but now feel the weight of evidence pressing against you. It's how you could ignore everything in my post and whine about a bit of condescension you've read into the end of it.

I don't feel condescension to Android fan boys, I feel unalloyed contempt. Contempt for idiots who try to weigh market share or feature sets against over three years of damn near perfect service - ignoring the gaping security holes in their system of choice. Idiots who feel having their movements tracked is a worthwhile price to pay for free email. Idiots who trust a company which treats their personal information as a resource, instead of a sacred trust.

I don't go looking for Android flaws to crow about, they come to me uninvited, which means there must be more that don't come my way and when I think about my friends and family who use these devices, it makes me shudder to think of all the s*$t I'm going to have to help clear up.

So, if you're the tech-savvy person who can afford a Nexus and can customise it, and know how to avoid malware, good luck to you. I'm glad your happy and I'm sure you've bought the best device for YOU. But when it comes to your mum and dad, to your less knowledgeable friends and work colleagues who wouldn't know how to choose between a Moto E or a Desire: tell them to get a Lumia. Just buy the one which best fits their wallet, because they'll all give a consistent experience, all run loads of apps and all keep their precious, private information safe. They're all easy to use and will be updated with new features and firmware patches to keep them secure.

And when you've matured to the point where the device isn't a plaything, but something you need to work, Windows Phone will be there for you too.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So, if you're the tech-savvy person who can afford a Nexus and can customise it, and know how to avoid malware, good luck to you. I'm glad your happy and I'm sure you've bought the best device for YOU. But when it comes to your mum and dad, to your less knowledgeable friends and work colleagues who wouldn't know how to choose between a Moto E or a Desire: tell them to get a Lumia. Just buy the one which best fits their wallet, because they'll all give a consistent experience, all run loads of apps and all keep their precious, private information safe. They're all easy to use and will be updated with new features and firmware patches to keep them secure.

And when you've matured to the point where the device isn't a plaything, but something you need to work, Windows Phone will be there for you too.

Of all the writing you've spewed on this thread, the bold statement I agree with...expect for going straight for the Lumia but to offer benefits of all the options. Android is definitely the less secure option between WP and Android, I can disagree at all but some of the lengths you've gone to are far fetched...and no i dont feel like going through each point and wasting an hour with examples. You can be condescending (yes you have been, even if you believe you haven't...although you do have a right in some cases as the points raised about Android's defense are false as well).

Your underlined statement was true with WP8, but 8.1 not so much as there have been many reports of inconsistencies such as my own personal experience and the many others reported on this site. Sure its an easy to use platform (although theres a learning curve, like new type of OS) but its firmware patching is slow and offers very minor changes usually...but ensures security.

As for your last statement, maybe in your personal experience but I had so many issues with my L920 and L1020 "just working" that it drove me up the wall. Notifications inconsistently working, tons of freezing and black screens, battery draining unnecessarily fast (and not having the appropriate tools to identify the cause, Battery Saver helps a bit here but its lacking DETAILS), sometimes to dial a call it takes up to 1 minute, with the exact sim card in my nexus 5 within 5 seconds, green screen camera requiring a reboot, Not able to save certain file types of emails (example MP3 or WAV, being a musician on the side this is a big deal)...I could think of a few more but will stop. This is not to say Android is free of its own problems, but stop pretending that WP is.

farhanmariz

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Looking forward for this upgrade for my Nexus 7. But truthfully, if Google doesn't shove its services into your throat, I'd like them better.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My critique is not at all far-fetched:

i). ASOP Browser Flaw

ii). Android Reset Flaw

I have posted these links before, so didn't think it necessary to repeat myself, but there are none so deaf as those who don't want to listen.

It is however, very clear from these instances that consumer privacy and security were not a central consideration when Android was designed and that security improvements have only been implemented in response to public criticism.

Similarly, Samsung's new Knox is rendered useless because user's PIN is stored in plain text on the device.

It makes me wonder what new flaw is yet to be revealed and what advice I'm going to have to give to friends and work colleagues who have bought devices in good faith. The last one had me explaining what a web browser was and before it was a directory tree.

By contrast, Windows Phone had security and customer privacy built in from day one and despite tens of millions of users worldwide, Windows Phone has suffered no serious security breaches. In fact I can think of only one - where a text message could be used to wipe the device - and that cause no loss of customer data, only inconvenience.

For me, security and privacy aren't options. There's no combination of hardware or features which can compensate for poor security, because the cost of identity theft can be catastrophic.

Everything in the Windows Phone world doesn't have to be rosey for it to be a better option, because from a security point of view, Android is one unmitigated disaster.

And if all that wasn't enough, I'll leave you with a new one.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
My critique is not at all far-fetched:

i). ASOP Browser Flaw

ii). Android Reset Flaw

I have posted these links before, so didn't think it necessary to repeat myself, but there are none so deaf as those who don't want to listen.

It is however, very clear from these instances that consumer privacy and security were not a central consideration when Android was designed and that security improvements have only been implemented in response to public criticism.

Similarly, Samsung's new Knox is rendered useless because user's PIN is stored in plain text on the device.

It makes me wonder what new flaw is yet to be revealed and what advice I'm going to have to give to friends and work colleagues who have bought devices in good faith. The last one had me explaining what a web browser was and before it was a directory tree.

By contrast, Windows Phone had security and customer privacy built in from day one and despite tens of millions of users worldwide, Windows Phone has suffered no serious security breaches. In fact I can think of only one - where a text message could be used to wipe the device - and that cause no loss of customer data, only inconvenience.

For me, security and privacy aren't options. There's no combination of hardware or features which can compensate for poor security, because the cost of identity theft can be catastrophic.

Everything in the Windows Phone world doesn't have to be rosey for it to be a better option, because from a security point of view, Android is one unmitigated disaster.

And if all that wasn't enough, I'll leave you with a new one.

As far as the first article goes about an insecurity with the AOSP browser it was ditched in favour of Chrome quite a few years back. Complaining about a virus/malware/etc on something like the abandoned AOSP browser is equivalent to crying over your Windows XP getting a virus and blaming Microsoft(which have already abandoned the software).

Secondly about the factory reset flaw, it's something that even exists on other platforms and I'm pretty sure it's on Windows Phone as well(but non one probably cared to try it out).

You could greatly benefit from reading on about what happens to deleted files and the data that is "deleted":

http://youtu.be/G5s4-Kak49o

Lastly whatever you say about Samsung isn't representative of all of Android, those are flaws affecting "Samsung" devices, not all of Android.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
As far as the first article goes about an insecurity with the AOSP browser it was ditched in favour of Chrome quite a few years back. Complaining about a virus/malware/etc on something like the abandoned AOSP browser is equivalent to crying over your Windows XP getting a virus and blaming Microsoft(which have already abandoned the software).

You ridiculous fool. The article on the ASOP browser flaw is dated 17th September 2014, which is less than two months ago. What's more, I checked a colleague's Galaxy S4 today and have left him trying to figure out how to change his default browser. This phone is less than a year old and hasn't been offered the Kit Kat update which would solve the flaw.

Secondly about the factory reset flaw, it's something that even exists on other platforms and I'm pretty sure it's on Windows Phone as well(but non one probably cared to try it out).

Before you tell me what you're 'pretty sure of' check your facts, because 'pretty sure of' stands for nothing but ignorance and if that's the best you can do, then pass me on to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Microsoft make it very clear that user files are deleted upon reset. Not just the directory tree, but the files themselves. I stated it as a fact, because it is a fact and I checked it out months ago.

You could greatly benefit from reading on about what happens to deleted files and the data that is "deleted":

No, I could not benefit from watching that video. That's because I have been using and building computers for very nearly thirty years. There's a very good chance I've forgotten more about computers than you'll ever know. I remember when hard drives were called Winchesters and floppy discs had cardboard sleeves.

Lastly whatever you say about Samsung isn't representative of all of Android, those are flaws affecting "Samsung" devices, not all of Android.
If Android were secure, there would be no need for Knox and since Samsung is the largest single maker of Android devices by far, your claim that is isn't representative is astounding in its dishonesty.

Now if you're sure Windows Phone is as insecure as Android, why don't you stop wasting my time and post a link to an article about it? You have the might of Google to help you find it and copious sources such as engadget, arstechnika and others who are sure to have covered it. It's easy and here's Android security flaw number 5 to prove it. And I don' even use Google.

If you can't, then face the facts: you've bought into a system which can't keep your information safe and isn't fit to run a vacuum cleaner.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
U mad bro

lol, if you're referring to the very angry gentleman commenting above i agree...definitely upset. Also dont see the need for rude insults, pretty pathetic if you ask me. Its a forum, a place for debate...taking discussions like this so personally, ouch!

Android is BAAAAAAAAAADDDDD, Windows is perfect (funny exaggeration of course...oh oh, should I be worried I'll get yelled at too?!)....dude, you got your point across, relax.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
U mad bro

Don't do that, you're only instigating people here.

You, me, and everyone else here who uses Android along with Windows Phone knows that Google, and their products are a sore subject with people here. I realize that this is "Phone Wars," but this is also mainly a website for Windows users.

I often times wonder why this Phone Wars subforum exists, because it rarely incites a peaceful, productive conversation.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Sorry couldn't resist a bit of teasing lol. But I've often wondered like you why this particular forum exists. Perhaps a more neutral name like "phone comparisons" would help. I know AC actually makes you go through the mods to get a topic posted in their phone wars forum but once a topic is posted there that doesn't really do anything to mitigate the responses.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry couldn't resist a bit of teasing lol. But I've often wondered like you why this particular forum exists. Perhaps a more neutral name like "phone comparisons" would help. I know AC actually makes you go through the mods to get a topic posted in their phone wars forum but once a topic is posted there that doesn't really do anything to mitigate the responses.

Teasing? Where I come from you may as well have dumped a 5 gallon bucket of gas on that person. Need a light?

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
You ridiculous fool. The article on the ASOP browser flaw is dated 17th September 2014, which is less than two months ago. What's more, I checked a colleague's Galaxy S4 today and have left him trying to figure out how to change his default browser. This phone is less than a year old and hasn't been offered the Kit Kat update which would solve the flaw.

Before you tell me what you're 'pretty sure of' check your facts, because 'pretty sure of' stands for nothing but ignorance and if that's the best you can do, then pass me on to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Microsoft make it very clear that user files are deleted upon reset. Not just the directory tree, but the files themselves. I stated it as a fact, because it is a fact and I checked it out months ago.

No, I could not benefit from watching that video. That's because I have been using and building computers for very nearly thirty years. There's a very good chance I've forgotten more about computers than you'll ever know. I remember when hard drives were called Winchesters and floppy discs had cardboard sleeves.

If Android were secure, there would be no need for Knox and since Samsung is the largest single maker of Android devices by far, your claim that is isn't representative is astounding in its dishonesty.

Now if you're sure Windows Phone is as insecure as Android, why don't you stop wasting my time and post a link to an article about it? You have the might of Google to help you find it and copious sources such as engadget, arstechnika and others who are sure to have covered it. It's easy and here's Android security flaw number 5 to prove it. And I don' even use Google.

If you can't, then face the facts: you've bought into a system which can't keep your information safe and isn't fit to run a vacuum cleaner.

You don't know much, if any at all about Android.

I have no idea why your colleague's S4 hasn't gotten the update, because last I checked all variants we're updated. However even it wasn't, Chrome is compatible with Android 4.1 and above.

I don't care how long you've been working with computers, that doesn't mean you know everything.

http://www.networkworld.com/article...hat-can-expose-windows-phone-credentials.html

If the adoption rate of Windows Phone could one day match that of Android(pretty unlikely) you'll find more and more security threats and flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss