Not open for further replies.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
for the one millionth times,
WP isn't battery efficient. Do little research and then talk
View attachment 87295 View attachment 87296

and HTC One M8 Android display is 33% more brighter than WP all the time during test.

View attachment 87297

Now tell me how much WP is battery efficient?

you are very naive to follow Gsmarena,they dont test phones properly
ill stick to following mobile nations reviews instead
there was an article on wpcentral itself regarding M8 battery life comparison

trooper11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I read the op to this thread and thought 'hey, sounds like Lollipop is nice upgrade from Kitkatt', then I skimmed through the rest of the thread to see another war between android fans that just want to bash WP and some WP fans that just bash Android.

You guys are really wasting your breath and your time when neither side is willing to respect the other.

If your an Android user only and your excited about Lollipop, that's great, you should be. It is shaping up to be a great step forward for the platform. I'm not sure why you would want to share that excitement in a WP section of a forum, but whatever. Android will be offering a lot of nice features not available on say iOS or WP and a fresh UI that some will love and others might not, which applies to all 3 platforms.

None of that is a reason to try and destroy WP or crush those that like and use the platform. Apple users just got a nice update in the form of iOS8 and likewise WP users have a major update in the form of Win 10 coming next year. Let's not argue about these things as if only Android is receiving major updates and pushing forward. Like the Lollipop update for Android, Win 10 will be the biggest update to WP yet, bringing changes across the board. That also means that the Metro UI is getting a substantial upgrade, going from a 1.0 concept to a 2.0 one. Its a big deal.

We go through the upgrade cycle every year and every year there are times when one OS has several features you don't see elsewhere and then the other platforms get updates that level the playing field. The most exciting thing is that we have 3 platforms strong enough to get strong support from their respective companies in the form of yearly upgrades. Even with MS' small market share, they clearly want to keep investing in WP to make it better.

If your a fan of Android, then your in for a treat with Lollipop. If your a fan of WP, then your in for a treat with Win10. Once both are out, we can compare features and capabilities all we want, but the point is its silly to not give credit where credit is due for any platform.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
you are very naive to follow Gsmarena,they dont test phones properly
ill stick to following mobile nations reviews instead
there was an article on wpcentral itself regarding M8 battery life comparison

Hahahaha
I knew you say something like this because you don't have anything to counter my point.

Here for you

Gsmarena is biggest, oldest and most trusted website.
They never wrong about any test.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Like you can't adjust the brightness of you want? Well, that's another credit to WP. It doesn't waste battery on high brightness when it is not really needed. :)

Do you know what are you talking about?
GSMArena do battery test on 50% brightness (read the test procedure).
It's their standard to test it.

Brightness is upto users what brightness they set. You can set brightness whatever you like.

If you consider brightness then Android is more battery efficient than WP.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Brightness is upto users what brightness they set. You can set brightness whatever you like.

If you consider brightness then Android is more battery efficient then WP.

i highly doubt that

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I was actually supporting this post and enjoying it until the OP said the Nexus 5 does everything faster than the 1520.

Not only is that vague, but it's completely untrue.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has had a glance clock since long ago on its Symbian phones. And the Exhibition you talk about is nowhere near Glance. Glance started out as a clock and was developed by Nokia to this stage, as an extension to the WP lock screen. And the current implementation is really original. The webOS analogue you're talking about is not even similar to Glance. And I still have the glance screensaver on my old Nokia dumbphone (with the battery still lasting a whole week) with date, time, missed calls, unread messages, battery status. That most probably means it has nothing to do with webOS.

It doesn't seem like you've ever had a webOS device. Exhibition has a host of options to choose from. You can set it to be anything from a screen-saver digital clock to a digital frame for all your photos. Nobody else has produced that kind of diversity on any level to even come close to what Exhibition could do.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Android 5.0 Lollipop Review: http://youtu.be/cLYE3fgWI_4

For those of you that think Android copied Windows Phone, the Verge posted a pretty decent review that reiterate what I was trying to say.

And especially impressive is the part that the Verge is a bit biased against anything that isn't an Apple product, but they mostly nailed this review.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I actually looked at that link and found almost zero credible evidence about GSMarena being biased.

Though you know what I did find from those links?

http://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_920_sample_images_found_to_be_fake_as_well-news-4769.php

Shame on Nokia for this.

Next time before linking everyone to a Google Search, please show us a credible reference not keep us looking for your so called "evidence."

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Actually 512 MB RAM is "slow" or more appropriately it is "inadequate". I remember trying a quad core Lumia 530 just to put to test how efficent Windows Phone was, like everyone here says.

Within a minute of me using it, Skype crashed, among other things. I still have a video of this to prove it.

Windows Phone is nearly just as spec hungry as Android, and the Lumia 535 just goes to show that.

Disagree. I own a 1020 and convinced a friend of mine using a Samsung Galaxy to use WP. He purchased a Lumia 530. He was very excited with Cortana and a couple of other stuff exclusive to WP. I had never shown him the Live Lock screen app because of the poor performance. He got the news from somewhere by himself and installed the tetra lock screen app and showed it to me how awesome it was. He had a passcode lock on his Lumia already. I was really SURPRISED to see how fast that app was. It was as fast as the stock lock screen! My friend was very satisfied with the performance. Cortana comes up instantly (without the momentary Loading... which comes up on my 1020) Skype is the only culprit with the Loading... and random crashes... :( Apart from that, everything is extremely optimised... Xbox music opens faster, Xbox games app opens instantly and it really feels like a high-end device with its swift performance. My friend is really very very happy with it. My brother's cheap Samsung with 512MB lags and hangs a lot. The problem lies with the OS itself (my brother has done KitKat variant on his phone, still) and not with specific apps.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't seem like you've ever had a webOS device. Exhibition has a host of options to choose from. You can set it to be anything from a screen-saver digital clock to a digital frame for all your photos. Nobody else has produced that kind of diversity on any level to even come close to what Exhibition could do.

That explains why Glance isn't similar to Exhibition. It was completely different and was independently developed by Nokia.
And if it is a digital frame, it's not battery saving/efficient. Glance is different and efficient because the power consuming parts of the phone are asleep/standby during Glance.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The technology that goes into making Glance work and all is nice, but how many phones have it? Most of the Lumia x30 series devices don't have it. The 930, 630, 530 and 535 don't have it. But the Moto G2 despite being a budget device does have Ambient Display, it may not be as battery friendly but it still nonetheless there.

When did Nokia introduce the double tap to wake gesture and in what year? I'm genuinely interested in knowing about this.

About the VM, that was a mistake Android made and at least they figured it out in the end. Windows Phone didn't have something as basic as a notification centre for 4 years since creation, there still isn't a decent lockscreen camera shortcut(only a notification centre shortcut), and lots of other basic stuff they haven't gotten right.

Since Ambient display is not battery friendly, it isn't something to be compared with Glance. If something isn't battery friendly then you can sure feature-pack it to your heart's content.

I don't remember when Nokia actually introduced double-tap to wake but I remember it being in old Nokia phones pre-WP. The one phone I'm sure about is the N9. I guess even older phones had that.

WP had live tiles, Lumias had Glance so notification centre was kinda redundant. It wasn't like you couldn't view your notifications. They were simply distributed across live tiles and lock screen/glance notifications. But since some people wanted the convenience of a pull-down notification centre, MS obliged. WP originally had a camera hardware button requirement so no software button was needed and after recently removing the requirement, they added the action centre shortcut.
The point is that things you call basic stuff were already present one way or the other and the requirement for them was not as necessary as it was for Android.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

If you consider brightness then Android is more battery efficient than WP.

So you're telling me that an OS with multitasking and several apps consuming battery, CPU, runs a VM, etc. is more efficient as compared to an OS which suspends most of the apps in the background, has restrictions on when tiles can update, doesn't support heavy app background tasks, runs apps natively, etc. and the difference is only due to higher brightness settings?
The way Android handles stuff is inherently bad. And that was the reason for poor battery life of the M8 Android version. Sure, brightness had a part, but Android had its role, too in reducing battery life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster