Android Lollipop looking good (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
If the vast majority of Android users we're indeed displeased with their phones the sales of Android devices would've fallen because there are competing OSes.

You have near zero evidence that the majority of Android consumers are unhappy with their phones.

All around me people jump when they find a new feature on their Android device, or an update.

In our whole school we just have one guy with a Windows Phone and I showed him my Nexus 5 the other day and he was amazed at how advanced Android had become, and how much more beautiful it was than Windows Phone.

No, users are not displeased with Android. We just keep on getting happier with the work Google and OEMs put in.

You think everything has been fair for WP? The vast majority of people only have one alternative if they don't like Android, and that's overpriced iOS. You can see various real-life examples where buying a WP is like doing the most difficult task in the World. Everyone wants you to get an Android. If a person specifically asks for a Lumia, the salesman will immediately try to steer that person to Android. Let alone other people who don't know about phones--they have zero chance of buying a WP since a salesman never presents a WP to them. Since Androids are cheap, and people don't seem to have a choice, they use Android, whether or not they like it. If I bring in a specific site for WP consumer satisfaction, you may say this site is this or that. That's what I am saying, since there have been a good deal of evidence of WP owners being happy with their phones compared to Androids, etc., you may pick whichever you find good.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
One of another major Windows Phone limitation is the fact that for an OS that claims to offer the best mobile photography experience the gallery can't view anything above 2048 x 2048.

Quite a big issue for me and a lot of other people, especially those that shoot images that are 6MP or above.

Edit: Before you guys go on to attack. The gallery will display any image over 2048 x 2048 however it will downscale the image, if you zoom in your image won't be extremely clear either.

The good thing is that pictures load fast. I know how long it takes to render 41MP pictures of the camera roll through Lumia Camera... If I want to view pictures, I want performance. If I want to view in full-res, I simply tap on open in Lumia Camera. If you want it to always open in full-res, just download any of those alternatives which open full-res pictures by default (Lumia Camera included). No big deal.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
You think everything has been fair for WP? The vast majority of people only have one alternative if they don't like Android, and that's overpriced iOS. You can see various real-life examples where buying a WP is like doing the most difficult task in the World. Everyone wants you to get an Android. If a person specifically asks for a Lumia, the salesman will immediately try to steer that person to Android. Let alone other people who don't know about phones--they have zero chance of buying a WP since a salesman never presents a WP to them. Since Androids are cheap, and people don't seem to have a choice, they use Android, whether or not they like it. If I bring in a specific site for WP consumer satisfaction, you may say this site is this or that. That's what I am saying, since there have been a good deal of evidence of WP owners being happy with their phones compared to Androids, etc., you may pick whichever you find good.

First of all stop taking hits at iOS, it's also another OS that can do a lot Windows Phone can't.

I've visited several countries where Nokia heavily advertises their Lumia range(or at least did before Microsoft purchased them). Even if the sales representative shows someone a Windows Phone, no ONE CARES.

I can possibly go out tomorrow and show you an image of 5 different shops that have only Windows Phones for use by the public. And still no one cares.

Honestly speaking customer satisfaction could be higher because there is very small number of Windows Phone devices compared to Android. If you ask 1000 people using Windows Phones, it's likely most of them will be using a good Nokia Lumia. But it gets complicated with Android because the Android bunch will have great devices and devices from not so great OEMs.

That doesn't mean customer satisfaction is lower on Android. Good Android phones have a lot of support, especially high end ones and quality low end ones. So customer satisfaction is a very tough thing to measure.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The good thing is that pictures load fast. I know how long it takes to render 41MP pictures of the camera roll through Lumia Camera... If I want to view pictures, I want performance. If I want to view in full-res, I simply tap on open in Lumia Camera. If you want it to always open in full-res, just download any of those alternatives which open full-res pictures by default (Lumia Camera included). No big deal.

Android's gallery is smooth, despite it supporting much higher resolution images. When you zoom into them they'll be a second or two waiting for the image to become clearer.

But it's way better than Windows Phone where the image remains blurry if it's too tall or too wide.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
First of all stop taking hits at iOS, it's also another OS that can do a lot Windows Phone can't.

I've visited several countries where Nokia heavily advertises their Lumia range(or at least did before Microsoft purchased them). Even if the sales representative shows someone a Windows Phone, no ONE CARES.

I can possibly go out tomorrow and show you an image of 5 different shops that have only Windows Phones for use by the public. And still no one cares.

Honestly speaking customer satisfaction could be higher because there is very small number of Windows Phone devices compared to Android. If you ask 1000 people using Windows Phones, it's likely most of them will be using a good Nokia Lumia. But it gets complicated with Android because the Android bunch will have great devices and devices from not so great OEMs.

That doesn't mean customer satisfaction is lower on Android. Good Android phones have a lot of support, especially high end ones and quality low end ones. So customer satisfaction is a very tough thing to measure.

iOS devices are overpriced for both the hardware and the software. And yes, iOS doesn't do a lot that WP can do. So?

I've seen Nokia Stores which have real Lumias on display for people to see. That's where I saw the Lumia 900 for the first time and saw how great the OS was. But the thing is, the stores are always empty. Of course Nokia staff won't steer you to Android... And yes, all the Nokia staff use Lumias themselves and are very friendly to WP. But, no average person goes to a specialty Nokia store to buy Lumias. All they see around themselves are Galaxies and iPhones and they are likely to buy what they see around themselves. Some Nokia partner stores keep Lumias at display, too, along with Galaxies, Xperias, iPhones, and HTC Androids beside. But people flock to Android phones (Samsungs basically) and the salespeople stay there, too. Xperias, Lumias, HTC and even iPhones, to some extent, are empty. I was in another store which had only the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One on the display. People still flocked to the Galaxy. No one even dared to go near the HTC. One can argue here that the HTC One offers a superior Android experience, but still, people don't care for that....

People would sure care when a salesman actually shows/tells them about WP. I was in a mall the other day. There was a Samsung kiosk with the Galaxy S5 on display (and no salesman). Next to it was a Nokia kiosk with a colourful live-tiled background, three Lumia phones on the front (930, 1520, 630 Dual Sim), a range of accessories on the sides and more Lumia phones inside a glass desk. And there was a salesperson with a Lumia 630 and wearing yellow Coloud Boom headphones. And this time, people were actually curious and they did come to the Nokia kiosk, while the Samsung kiosk was empty. I also talked to that Nokia salesman. He had the tactics to get people interested in WP. He was explaining to people about WP's, the apps, the camera, the OS features, etc. People don't care about WP, because they don't know about it. And the consumer satisfaction for Lumias, at least, is great.

Last edited:

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Android's gallery is smooth, despite it supporting much higher resolution images. When you zoom into them they'll be a second or two waiting for the image to become clearer.

But it's way better than Windows Phone where the image remains blurry if it's too tall or too wide.

I found the current implementation OK. I do think that my phone can handle higher resolutions than that, but that's not a deal-breaker... If you like to zoom in the gallery, get an alternate app from the Store. Simple as that. If I want to zoom further, I simply open it in Lumia Camera. :) Again, it takes a second or two for Lumia Camera to open, but the image is crystal clear there.

Last edited:

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
iOS devices are overpriced for both the hardware and the software. And yes, iOS doesn't do a lot that WP can do. So?

I've seen Nokia Stores which have real Lumias on display for people to see. That's where I saw the Lumia 900 for the first time and saw how great the OS was. But the thing is, the stores are always empty. Of course Nokia staff won't steer you to Android... And yes, all the Nokia staff use Lumias themselves and are very friendly to WP. But, no average person goes to a specialty Nokia store to buy Lumias. All they see around themselves are Galaxies and iPhones and they are likely to buy what they see around themselves. Some Nokia partner stores keep Lumias at display, too, along with Galaxies, Xperias, iPhones, and HTC Androids beside. But people flock to Android phones (Samsungs basically) and the salespeople stay there, too. Xperias, Lumias, HTC and even iPhones, to some extent, are empty. I was in another store which had only the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One on the display. People still flocked to the Galaxy. No one even dared to go near the HTC. One can argue here that the HTC One offers a superior Android experience, but still, people don't care for that....

People would sure care when a salesman actually shows/tells them about WP. I was in a mall the other day. There was a Samsung kiosk with the Galaxy S5 on display (and no salesman). Next to it was a Nokia kiosk with a colourful live-tiled background, three Lumia phones on the front (930, 1520, 630 Dual Sim), a range of accessories on the sides and more Lumia phones inside a glass desk. And there was a salesperson with a Lumia 630 and wearing yellow Coloud Boom headphones. And this time, people were actually curious and they did come to the Nokia kiosk, while the Samsung kiosk was empty. I also talked to that Nokia salesman. He had the tactics to get people interested in WP. He was explaining to people about WP's, the apps, the camera, the OS features, etc. People don't care about WP, because they don't know about it. And the consumer satisfaction for Lumias, at least, is great.

How Windows Phone may heal from the discrimination that people have against it is a totally different topic.

But they could start by finally making Windows 10 comparable with what Android has been offering for the past few years.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
How Windows Phone may heal from the discrimination that people have against it is a totally different topic.

But they could start by finally making Windows 10 comparable with what Android has been offering for the past few years.

Let's wait and see. :)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't care about responding to the rest of the allegations because clearly your friends have very old Android devices.

But the last part about customer satisfaction is untrue. If customer satisfaction of Windows Phone was so high, it would be at the top or at least near the top of the market.

It's not.

gentlemen
with this logic we would still have symbian smartphones and android would have died at birth

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
One of another major Windows Phone limitation is the fact that for an OS that claims to offer the best mobile photography experience the gallery can't view anything above 2048 x 2048.

Quite a big issue for me and a lot of other people, especially those that shoot images that are 6MP or above.

Edit: Before you guys go on to attack. The gallery will display any image over 2048 x 2048 however it will downscale the image, if you zoom in your image won't be extremely clear either.

thanks for more misinformation
you have officially proved how much in the past you are
i can view photos taken by my EOS 7D with ease on my 720 at native 5k resolution with no such problems
keep dreaming

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't care about responding to the rest of the allegations because clearly your friends have very old Android devices.

But the last part about customer satisfaction is untrue. If customer satisfaction of Windows Phone was so high, it would be at the top or at least near the top of the market.

It's not.

Nokia always had the highest consumer satisfaction ratio. Always(from Symbian era)
Just because consumers are more satisfied using a rolls Royce, then using a fiat, doesn't mean that rolls Royce should sell more than fiat.
You say others whose Android phone lags have very old phone, why? You also say that previously Android had many issues, not now, but you're wrong!
Say after a few years when android O or android P arrives at that time, many would be saying that Android K or android L had those issues before, not now. Are all the android fans like these? They get the latest updates, they feel superior & then they accept that previous update had issues?
We WP users on the other hand don't feel the previous versions were inferior. We are happy with the latest updates but that doesn't change the fact that even the previous versions of it worked flawlessly without any lag or problems. I accept that it didn't have many features but at least it never lagged. What's the point of having new features when your phone just keeps lagging, hanging etc.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

What has been Android offering these years, "Lag"?
Tell me from where did the word "lag droid" come from?

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I can give you ample of examples where in Android even while rotating the screen it lags. Google should first try improving sensors. how much would it lag while viewing photos do you have any idea. I've seen so many android phones hang, the list is too long.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
First of all the X20 series isn't three years old.
The Motorola Moto Defy, a pretty old single core device got its first unofficial build of Lollipop recently which goes to show that Android can indeed run on older hardware. But OEMs eventually drop support(like support for some WP7 devices was dropped only a few months after release :'D)

Android doesn't lack support from Google. All Google branded products, which includes the Nexus lineup, The Google Play Edition devices and Android One devices will receive Lollipop, some of the devices in the list we'll over 2 years old.

The whole dual core, quad core argument is fatally flawed. It goes to prove nothing. Even single core devices can run Android Lollipop, but no single core device can run Windows Phone 8, officially or non officially.

I never said X20 series was 3 yrs old, I said that after 6-8 months when it'll be getting WP 10 update at that time it'll be 3 yrs old.

Please do read my posts clearly & try to understand it before commenting.

Ahh, I remember popular Motorola defy, it was so popular my friends had to change it within a few weeks. Can you give me an example where more than 2 yr old phone would receive lollipop "OFFICIALLY"? I know Microsoft made a mistake with WP 7 by not giving updates, but that won't happen again. Google never supported old devices, because Android is too power hungry for old phones.

Last edited:

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I never said X20 series was 3 yrs old, I said that after 6-8 months when it'll be getting WP 10 update at that time it'll be 3 yrs old.
Please do read my posts clearly & try to understand it before commenting.
Ahh, I remember popular Motorola defy, it was so popular my friends had to change it with a few weeks. Can you give me an example where more than 2 yr old phone would receive lollipop "OFFICIALLY"? I know Microsoft made a mistake with WP 7 by not giving updates, but that won't happen again. Google never supported old devices, because Android is too power hungry for old phones.

Your way of base, and why blame Google.
Take kitkat it was designed to run on phones with a single core processor and 512 mb of ram.

Google made the OS but the phone manufacturers decide which models get the update.
Then it still has to pass thru the carriers.

What happened with Kitkat is, step one in the process is it has to run on the SoC.
So you need an update from the SoC vendor.
What ive read that you might want to confirm, is they didnt get the updates from Texas instruments and Nvidia. So thats why some phones never got Kitkat.

So that pretty much means they wont get lolipop either.

I have no idea what the oldest phones to get lollipop will be.
I know it will rollout to the 2012 Nexus 4, and I know my 2012 Nexus 7 tablet will get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786