Why Android 5.0 isn't as big of a deal as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean they are right or that it's better.

All it means is more people use it.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
iOS has in total like what...10 devices that need to be updated? And the number of active iphones out there are very very small compared to Android devices.

Roll outs can't be smooth, it is extremely difficult.

Just see the adoption rate for Windows 8.

And that supports my point. Lollipop really means nothing until it's on a device and the number of those devices at this time is very small and will be for quite a while. And android users don't spend any money anyhow....http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...than-android-users-suggests-net-applications/

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
And that supports my point. Lollipop really means nothing until it's on a device and the number of those devices at this time is very small and will be for quite a while.

Honestly Lollipop officially rolled out just this month. I'm sure that an update doesn't make it to Windows Phone devices in a month either.

It's inevitable that devices will receive Android 5.0 soon, so your point truly has no relevance.

It was discussing about Android's features not it's update delays.

cbobb123

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
And McDonalds sells more hamburgers than In And Out. I suppose that makes them better to you?
Nope but it shows how little windows phone users there are now and probably in the future as I can't see people switching from Android or IOS. WP will probably cease to exist by 2020 while Android and IOS will continue to grow.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Nope but it shows how little windows phone users there are now and probably in the future as I can't see people switching from Android or IOS. WP will probably cease to exist by 2020 while Android and IOS will continue to grow.

The mighty have fallen before, and they will fall again. Both IBM and Microsoft got too big and took their eye off the ball.

MS failed to recognise the importance of the Internet, and when they did realise, what did they give us? Internet Explorer and FrontPage Extensions. MS failed to recognise that smartphones were the future - remember how Ballmer ridiculed the iPhone?

Google may be getting too big, and with people becoming increasingly conscious that their private data is being comoditised and compromised by Google, there may come a day when they say enough is enough. Without our data, Google is nothing. Android is nothing without Google.

cbobb123

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
The mighty have fallen before, and they will fall again. Both IBM and Microsoft got too big and took their eye off the ball.

MS failed to recognise the importance of the Internet, and when they did realise, what did they give us? Internet Explorer and FrontPage Extensions. MS failed to recognise that smartphones were the future - remember how Ballmer ridiculed the iPhone?

Google may be getting too big, and with people becoming increasingly conscious that their private data is being comoditised and compromised by Google, there may come a day when they say enough is enough. Without our data, Google is nothing. Android is nothing without Google.
Have you got any evidence to back up your argument lol

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

A bunch of moderators over at AC and here at Windows Central have told the community that Microsoft and Google collect the same amount of data from you, but use it for different purposes.

Google isn't the only company threatened by a huge population suddenly wanting more "privacy" online, Microsoft is just as likely to be targeted.

But talking from today's perspective the future seems brighter for Android than it does for Windows Phone.

Again, that could change any day but you always have to think about the probability.

Hell who knows? An OS like Sailfish could magically become the most popular and widely used OS. But again, it's unlikely and far fetched, much like your arguments.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
A bunch of moderators over at AC and here at Windows Central have told the community that Microsoft and Google collect the same amount of data from you, but use it for different purposes

I do not disagree with that statement, and I have posted elsewhere that I'd trust MS to use my data in a less aggressive way than Google.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Staying on topic, the reason it isn't that big a deal can be found in the scores of the reviews. The majority give it a 8 or 9 out of 10, the same score they gave kitkat, jellybean, ios 7, ios 8, even windows 8.1 for mobile was rated just about that. I don't think any of those cured cancer, printed money, etc, etc. All are nice, but not earth shattering.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Staying on topic, the reason it isn't that big a deal can be found in the scores of the reviews. The majority give it a 8 or 9 out of 10, the same score they gave kitkat, jellybean, ios 7, ios 8, even windows 8.1 for mobile was rated just about that. I don't think any of those cured cancer, printed money, etc, etc. All are nice, but not earth shattering.

Strictly speaking from a functionality perspective the only reason Windows Phone 8.1 gets close to the 9/10 mark in reviews is because it added features that other OSes had years before it, it was a somewhat desperate attempt of "catching up." So there was little Microsoft could get wrong.

For Android or iOS to get a 8 or 9 out of 10 is much more impressive than it is for Windows Phone because they gave complete overhauls with tons and tons of other huge and smaller improvements, while Windows Phone has largely remained similar to inception.

It's similar to a country of 10 million raising it's literacy by 5% is a bigger accomplishment than a country with 1 million people raising it's literacy rate by 10%.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Oops, looks like it might take a little while longer. but it will be great when it does..HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop release delayed

The writer of that article doesn't know sh**

HTC's own skin on top of Android is what causes updates to take longer but even despite that HTC hasn't passed the 90 day mark.

The GPE editions update was delayed however they should still be receiving Lollipop soon enough.

It's better to receive a more stable update than a faster and buggier one.

Yep. The Nexus 5 update went... Badly so I can only assume Google told HTC to squish some bugs and take it on more test runs. At least from what I've heard, the delay for GPE has been mandated by Google.

The Nexus 5 update didn't go bad. Yes bugs we're found, but I don't think any new update has been without it's own bugs on any operating system apps.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The writer of that article doesn't know sh**

HTC's own skin on top of Android is what causes updates to take longer but even despite that HTC hasn't passed the 90 day mark.

The GPE editions update was delayed however they should still be receiving Lollipop soon enough.

It's better to receive a more stable update than a faster and buggier one.

The Nexus 5 update didn't go bad. Yes bugs we're found, but I don't think any new update has been without it's own bugs on any operating system apps.
Half the fun with the android updates is waiting to see how messed up they are after touchwiz and sense have been blended into them. Then you get to wait for the update to that update, good stuff...but it will be fantastic if and when your device gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb