12-14-2014 12:43 AM
244 12345 ...
tools
    Slightly funny is the fact that Windows Phone couldn't save any apps to the memory card too, just a little while ago, and I didn't see any of you not buying it because of this one specific feature.

Anyways regardless you can move most, even if not all, apps to the SD card. And app sizes on Android are usually smaller than competing OSes.

Gosh. The easier to use argument.

Simply put, no. Windows Phone is not easier to use, Android and Windows Phone stand equally in ease of use.

This is because they both offer a balance. If you are an advanced user you can pin live tiles or widgets, or just the app tray on both simply.

It's a myth that Android isn't easy to use. It is, especially with more modern versions.

Oh. My. God.

If you really want to talk like that, then yes Android also has support for 64 bit. I've ran an Android emulator on my 64 bit laptop, and the Desire 510 and Desire 820 use 64 bit processors.

However both Android and Windows Phone(to the best of my knowledge) didn't have 64 bit apps to help the phones. Android Lollipop will change that, and even if 3rd party devs don't optimize their apps, all Stock apps will be 64 bit (Chrome, Keep, etc). Also most apps that are in Java will already be 64 bit optimised.

The people that have used Lollipop developer preview on their Nexus 5(and 4) have reported that the 60 FPS animations do make a huge difference in the smoothness in day to day usage.

Plus last I checked Windows Phone had a ****ty 2.1 megapixel burst mode, seriously go into Microsoft camera and take a burst and later go check the EXIF data of the image, I'm pretty sure it's going to be less than 3MP. And Windows Phone's burst mode is also limited to 10-15 FPS.

We'll Android Lollipop has the most advanced burst mode I've ever come across, depending on your processor you can get an 8MP 30 FPS burst mode, how cool is that?

If I am not wrong Android has support for DirectX as well, but they are also adding OpenGLES 3.1(with a host of other improvements for graphics).

But that's not all, Android partnered up with Nvidia to get the Tegra K1(arguably one of the fastest SOCs out there) which promises console quality graphics is on the Nexus 9. Google went the extra step to get such a powerful SOC on their platform.

Kid's corner, to the best of my knowledge, isn't at all useful if you want to lend someone your phone for a quick phone call.

Lastly you dismissed all features as things people can live without, we'll guess what we can also "live" without smartphones.

Extra useful features are always a nice addition. There are other additions, such as an ambient display mode which lights up the device whenever you hold it in your hand(and you have notifications).

First of all if your are on a table with friends, or maybe after a game of football(or some other game or event) someone is bound to ask for your phone to make a call and they might just(as a joke) head into your SMS or maybe one of your other apps. For these situations a guest mode will be extremely useful.

Plus we aren't arguing on what an OEM can or can not do, if battery life is someone's main concern with a smartphone, Android would still be the place to be(because Android OEMs outpace anyone else with the battery capacity).

Also could you please show me where anti virus apps are recommended?

Also lockscreen notifications on Android can be explicitly told not to show sensitive information, they are a useful feature. Android's lockscreen dialer shortcut and power toggles are also way more useful.

Also I'm pretty sure you haven't ever used an Android device, because switching to ART does made a huge difference in general performance. Also 60 FPS are pretty consistent, go try a developer preview on a Nexus.

Also Windows Phone and Android could run 64 bit hardware before(because it's backward compatible with 32 bit) however neither had any 64 bit apps to speak of. We'll that changes soon, Android stock apps will be 64 bit and apps on the Play Store coded with Java will also be 64 bit(without any modifications).

Graphics are something you can't really argue about, they've always been a weakness of Windows Phone in gaming.

Lastly games(and some apps) do take advantage of more than two cores, and I have proof of this by monitoring CPU usage. I would also see if Windows Phone could use more than two cores, but I can't find an app to monitor CPU/GPU usage. :(
    False installing apps on SD ability has been taken by android since jellybean.for installing app to SD you need to root nd partition your SD card.For wp it works out of box.
    Karthik Naik and tanya shah1 like this.
    11-02-2014 01:22 PM
    for installing app to SD you need to root nd partition your SD card.For wp it works out of box.
    My nVidia Shield has every one of its games installed on the SD card, and it is certainly not rooted. I can show you if you'd like.
    D M C likes this.
    11-02-2014 01:42 PM
    This is really stupid. Android 5.0 is a big deal. Android cannot use direct x, it uses open GL instead. There is no such thing a as a better operating system, only one that is better for you. Almost all of us use windows because it caters for our needs. Most people use android because it caters for almost everyone's need with all the features it has. Gimmicky or not people still use them and love them. The only people that won't love it is the security conscious: other platforms(us).

The reason for all these myths about android are because of previous experiences with the old android versions of phones. The new phones are actually good and can do way more than any windows phone can. If android 5.0 is released with good reviews, I'm considering getting a android(again). Lag only occurs when you buy the wrong android. Use a phone like the moto G, htc one m8, LG G3, they are amazing. I really don't like these myths of android especially since how WP only has around 2.7% market share.
    Read this. And post something that will help, not fuel a fan war
    FinancialP likes this.
    11-02-2014 01:54 PM
    That happens by the Fandroids as well as the Crapple users too
    You come off as a Fandroid.
    Grow up, and learn to engage in debate without the Ad Hominem attacks. It's precious that you accuse me of being a fanboy, all the while using words like that as part of your vocabulary.
    FinancialP, D M C, chezm and 1 others like this.
    11-02-2014 02:06 PM
    False installing apps on SD ability has been taken by android since jellybean.for installing app to SD you need to root nd partition your SD card.For wp it works out of box.
    Wrong... I have tons of apps on my SD card with my m8.
    D M C likes this.
    11-04-2014 01:17 AM
    Grow up, and learn to engage in debate without the Ad Hominem attacks. It's precious that you accuse me of being a fanboy, all the while using words like that as part of your vocabulary.
    "Precious", huh? Its understandable you'd misinterpret. I never called you a fanboy. Don't always assume the worst. To clarify, I meant, by the sound of your posts, you sound like a fanboy. I didn't accuse you of being one. You simply have been acting like one. So, let's drop this "grow up" crap. Calling someone a child through the saying of "grow up", is ironically, childish in itself.
    11-05-2014 05:51 AM
    Let google have its moment with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Android has always been a fragmented and choppy running OS. Next year MS will destroy it with Windows 10 Phones. (along with Windows 10 OS for desktop, tablets, Xbox one etc). One thing with android devices: its always a ******* contest with hardware specs. How much power/sh*t do you need to run android base device anyways? Multicore pissy processors, Big Giant Turd GPUs, Gigabuttkisses of RAM, 6000x3456P Ultra Mega Supra YOMAMALED display to make a phone call, text message and web browse? Samsung being the worst offender: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 that will massage your *** (after 1.5 years it starts to run like sh*t). I am happy with my HTC One M8 Windows 8.1 purchase. Simple OS, buttery smooth, great features. Although I kinda miss the animations of windows 7. I know my phone has the hardware specs to run windows 10.

Speaking of hardware specs, How much do the OS's memory RAM footprint take up? Iphones are 1 GIG of RAM, Windows phones are 2 GIGs (at most). How much RAM do you really need here? PS3, and Xbox360 both have 512 MB of RAM, and can display amazing graphics with decent interfaces.
    11-11-2014 10:22 PM
    Let google have its moment with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Android has always been a fragmented and choppy running OS. Next year MS will destroy it with Windows 10 Phones. (along with Windows 10 OS for desktop, tablets, Xbox one etc). One thing with android devices: its always a ******* contest with hardware specs. How much power/sh*t do you need to run android base device anyways? Multicore pissy processors, Big Giant Turd GPUs, Gigabuttkisses of RAM, 6000x3456P Ultra Mega Supra YOMAMALED display to make a phone call, text message and web browse? Samsung being the worst offender: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 that will massage your *** (after 1.5 years it starts to run like sh*t). I am happy with my HTC One M8 Windows 8.1 purchase. Simple OS, buttery smooth, great features. Although I kinda miss the animations of windows 7. I know my phone has the hardware specs to run windows 10.

Speaking of hardware specs, How much do the OS's memory RAM footprint take up? Iphones are 1 GIG of RAM, Windows phones are 2 GIGs (at most). How much RAM do you really need here? PS3, and Xbox360 both have 512 MB of RAM, and can display amazing graphics with decent interfaces.
    Honestly speaking, I'm going to give you a peaceful reply but what you've said could easily aggravate anyone.

Android may have once been an OS that ran choppy, all that has changed and I can confidentially say that in a lot of ways it is today faster than Windows Phone.

Secondly you people keep blowing the fragmentation issue out of proportion, there are hundreds of more Android devices out there and ensuring updates for all of them isn't easy. Secondly a lot of consumers don't care about updates, they just like using their phone as it is.

But just to put it into perspective, the latest stable version of Android recently was Android KitKat which runs on 25% of active Android devices, those 25% of Android devices that run KitKat outnumber the total number of Windows Phones out there being used by people.

Okay moving onwards, I like to see that WP users have high hopes but every year you think that the next version of Windows Phone will crush Android. Simply put, it will not. The pace at which Android moves will always put it ahead of Windows Phone, and no Windows 10 is no silver bullet and no it will probably not even manage to put a dent in Android's popularity.

About the specifcations, you can act that Windows Phone doesn't need them but it does. When Android went ahead with the move to 1080p panels, I'm pretty Windows Phone users we're talking about how they didn't need them. Simply put phones, especially high end bigger screen ones need higher resolution panels to provide users with sharper text. You can bet your *** that if Samsung hadn't made the Note series, or if Android hadn't moved to 1080p panels, the Lumia 1520 wouldn't be a fraction of what it is today.

And just because SOC manufacturers like Qualcomm and Nvidia like to powerful specifications in Android, doesn't mean Android doesn't run smoothly on low end devices.

Your RAM argument and core argument is highly flawed, you seem to know very little if anything at all about processors work. But just to put your statement into perspective, and argue with the logic that you have, Google recently released a dual core "flagship" tablet with 2 GB of RAM(when you state that Android needs 3GB). The Moto E even runs decent with 1GB of RAM, but Windows Phone doesn't because you'll often see the dreaded "resuming" message.

Lastly PS3 and Xbox powered a 720p displays mostly, they needed less horsepower. Android devices, and even Windows Phone devices, need more powerful processor packages because they run 1080 and 2K displays(which are mandatory depending on screen sizes).

For god's sakes educate yourself a tiny bit more before arguing on a public forum.
    11-12-2014 04:52 AM

This whole statement is just as ignorant as people saying "Windows Phone has NO Apps!"...just to clear that up. And i love how you can read the future, ASSUMING Windows 10 will "destory" Android is basically how many WP fanboys (read carefully, i didnt say Users or preferred OS users) been living, like i was, for 3 years...eagerly waiting. Im hoping W10 turns the tide and shows Android/iOS how things should be done and sets a standard...but as ive been saying for months now...ill believe it when i see it. For the record, many 1GB Android devices run flawless on Kitkat.
    D M C likes this.
    11-12-2014 03:12 PM
    For the record, many 1GB Android devices run flawless on Kitkat.
    too bad only a handful of android devices recieve updates
    11-17-2014 12:55 AM
    too bad only a handful of android devices recieve updates
    There will actually be more devices running Lollipop in a few months than there will be total Windows Phones being used.

And lots of low end, mid range and high end devices are getting the update.
    11-17-2014 09:14 AM
    Don't bluff android low end except Moto e cant imagine getting lollipop.samsung won't update their device.Only flagship nd Moto will get the update.
    From Windows phone
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-17-2014 10:09 AM
    Only way to get android update is buy a new phone nd dump your old mid to low end in the garbage.
    From Windows phone
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-17-2014 10:09 AM
    Don't bluff android low end except Moto e cant imagine getting lollipop.samsung won't update their device.Only flagship nd Moto will get the update.
    From Windows phone
    Only way to get android update is buy a new phone nd dump your old mid to low end in the garbage.
    From Windows phone
    HTC is updating several of it's midrange and high end devices. Motorola is updating it's devices. And Android One devices are being updated.

Also considering that the Xperia Z now costs $300, it's also a mid range device, like the Xperia ZR(and others) they also have update to Lollipop confirmed.

Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2012 are devices that are older than 2 years and quite cheap and are getting the update.

When all else failed you brought in Android's upgrade ability, we'll it's gotten a hell lot better than before and there are tons of devices getting the update.
    11-17-2014 10:44 AM
    Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone? Lol.
    Anecdotally, the batteries on both my Moto G 4g and L735 last roughly the same amount of time. Until someone tests two phones with identical battery capacity, with identical apps, in the same location, connecting to the same mobile network and with the same services (data, location, bluetooth, etc) turned on, I don't know whether this is true or not.

The fact that Android is more open, people mess with superuser permissions and install applications not from the Play Store is why some users put themselves at risk, Google is not to blame for this.
    Google could easily remove the option to install apps not from the Play Store, and could implement the system that WP uses - download, but have to install via the Store app.

I like the openness of Android, but this is its weak point, too.

There are some apps theat claim to be able to root your phone that also install questionable, and hard to remove apps on the phone. XDA will often remove links to these apps.

And there are other things regarding security in Android Lollipop apart from encryption(which WP to the best of my knowledge doesn't have).
    Shame WP doesn't have it. I would use it. But then again, if it didn't encrypt SD cards, it would be pretty much useless!

the new ART runtime(upto 4X faster performance)
    I've been using ART and the gain in performance is nowhere near as great as this. In fact, I can discern no improvement in speed of any apps.

Using ART means that apps take up more space, AND they take longer to start up (I believe, from what I've read).

Some people will love Android L, some people will hate it, other will be indifferent. Until I try it I won't know where my feeling lie, though from what I've seen, I suspect I will be indifferent.
    a5cent and Karthik Naik like this.
    11-17-2014 11:35 AM
    Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone? Lol.
    Anecdotally, the batteries on both my Moto G 4g and L735 last roughly the same amount of time. Until someone tests two phones with identical battery capacity, with identical apps, in the same location, connecting to the same mobile network and with the same services (data, location, bluetooth, etc) turned on, I don't know whether this is true or not.
    This! This is far too often completely ignored. Most reviewers that have compared the HTC M8 for Windows and Android have done so using factory reset devices, which is pretty much the most useless way of comparing battery life (except for those people that don't install any apps at all... for them it's great). I'd like to see a battery life measurement taken with the 100 most popular apps loaded up on each device, with the same apps intermittently being used on both.

Until that happens, we won't really know. On the other hand, the fact that most Android fans believe both will be roughly equal, while most WP fans believe WP will do better, is at least somewhat telling (nobody expects Android to do better).
    Guytronic and Karthik Naik like this.
    11-17-2014 11:45 AM
    There will actually be more devices running Lollipop in a few months than there will be total Windows Phones being used.

And lots of low end, mid range and high end devices are getting the update.
    lol no
    dont expect that,its a myth since years
    so far apple and microsoft have kept their update cycle promises,android is an absolute joke in this
    so ill believe what i see right now and from the past instead of relying on such rumours
    11-17-2014 12:59 PM
    From Windows phone
    i agree with your points but Moto E might actually get 5.0 since its a stock device
    dont expect alot of features or performance though just the name tag
    11-17-2014 01:00 PM
    HTC is updating several of it's midrange and high end devices. Motorola is updating it's devices. And Android One devices are being updated.

Also considering that the Xperia Z now costs $300, it's also a mid range device, like the Xperia ZR(and others) they also have update to Lollipop confirmed.

Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2012 are devices that are older than 2 years and quite cheap and are getting the update.

When all else failed you brought in Android's upgrade ability, we'll it's gotten a hell lot better than before and there are tons of devices getting the update.
    ^lol
    ill believe such things when android fragmentation issues are resolved and all older devices get updates
    so far i believe only in MS and Apples update cycles because they have kept their promises
    googles is notorious for not
    11-17-2014 01:02 PM
    This! This is far too often completely ignored. Most reviewers that have compared the HTC M8 for Windows and Android have done so using factory reset devices, which is pretty much the most useless way of comparing battery life (except for those people that don't install any apps at all... for them it's great). I'd like to see a battery life measurement taken with the 100 most popular apps loaded up on each device, with the same apps intermittently being used on both.

Until that happens, we won't really know. On the other hand, the fact that most Android fans believe both will be roughly equal, while most WP fans believe WP will do better, is at least somewhat telling (nobody expects Android to do better).
    maybe mobile nations should do this showdown once and for all
    we all know windows phone will win in battery life but by how much is the main question
    going by my personal phone collection(all 2000mah ironically) i think windows phone is a winner in battery life atleast
    11-17-2014 01:04 PM
    i agree with your points but Moto E might actually get 5.0 since its a stock device
    dont expect alot of features or performance though just the name tag
    No, Android does a much better job than iOS and Windows Phone in ensuring that all phones have the same features in any update.

Just as an example OK Google works on low end devices like the Moto G(and E).

lol no
    dont expect that,its a myth since years
    so far apple and microsoft have kept their update cycle promises,android is an absolute joke in this
    so ill believe what i see right now and from the past instead of relying on such rumours
    Not a myth. In a matter of months the number of Android phones running the latest OS outnumbers the total number of Windows Phones being actively used.

This happened with KitKat as well.

^lol
    ill believe such things when android fragmentation issues are resolved and all older devices get updates
    so far i believe only in MS and Apples update cycles because they have kept their promises
    googles is notorious for not
    "And all older devices get updates".

May I ask do all Windows Phones get the update? All of them?

http://m.androidcentral.com/android-...e-conversation

Fragmentation isn't an issue for the most part, because many consumers don't really care about updates. Google has tried it's best to remedy this and there are devices in all segments(low end, mid range, high end) that get a steady supply of updates.

Fragmentation is complicated and for the most part it has been resolved.
    11-18-2014 11:02 AM
    Well people...you have been talking about design,customizability,insecure,apps,lock screen, widgets,
    But you never talk about Support or Updates...actually WP Owns Android too hard in that point,when you hear that All Lumias Are getting Windows 10, what about android? Who will get The Android L? As an android user...you are always afraid if the next update is rolling to ur Phone or not...
    Also one more thing, To have a GOOD Android WITHOUT Lags, you need to buy a High end one with super specs, Also not receiving updates affects badly on the OS and how smooth it it...but on the other hand,looking at the performance of a Lumia 520 VS the perform an of any other Android Phone with the same Specs, the L520 BEATS the other.
    Actually,having a Smooth and fast Phone without lags is more important for me than having a feature packed android phone with lags.
    That's my opinion though.
    Nvm my English mistakes :)
    11-18-2014 11:28 AM
    Well people...you have been talking about design,customizability,insecure,apps,lock screen, widgets,
    But you never talk about Support or Updates...actually WP Owns Android too hard in that point,when you hear that All Lumias Are getting Windows 10, what about android? Who will get The Android L? As an android user...you are always afraid if the next update is rolling to ur Phone or not...
    Also one more thing, To have a GOOD Android WITHOUT Lags, you need to buy a High end one with super specs, Also not receiving updates affects badly on the OS and how smooth it it...but on the other hand,looking at the performance of a Lumia 520 VS the perform an of any other Android Phone with the same Specs, the L520 BEATS the other.
    Actually,having a Smooth and fast Phone without lags is more important for me than having a feature packed android phone with lags.
    That's my opinion though.
    Nvm my English mistakes :)
    I've used Windows Phone devices, including low end ones and they are by no means lagless. In aspects of multitasking and scrolling they are some of the most terrible I've ever seen.

Also Android users aren't afraid of updates are you make it out to be. Many devices will be updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop.

And those that do not get updated will have access to some of the features of Android 5.0 through the Play Store and Google Play Services.

Anything else you would like to talk about?
    11-18-2014 11:37 AM
    I've used Windows Phone devices, including low end ones and they are by no means lagless. In aspects of multitasking and scrolling they are some of the most terrible I've ever seen.

Also Android users aren't afraid of updates are you make it out to be. Many devices will be updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop.

And those that do not get updated will have access to some of the features of Android 5.0 through the Play Store and Google Play Services.

Anything else you would like to talk about?
    I've used Lumia 620,520 and 820 They Never Lagged or had any problems.There are devices that aren't few which didn't get a Kit-Kat, and you ask about the L ?
    tanya shah1 likes this.
    11-18-2014 11:48 AM
    I've used Lumia 620,520 and 820 They Never Lagged or had any problems.There are devices that aren't few which didn't get a Kit-Kat, and you ask about the L ?
    The number of Android devices outnumber the number of Windows Phone devices, which makes it harder to ensure updates.

That still doesn't mean more Windows Phone devices get the update, more Android devices still get the update but as a whole the percentage is less.

Scrolling on a Windows Phone. ^
    11-18-2014 11:51 AM
244 12345 ...