• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
12-14-2014 12:43 AM
244 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Android doesn't need a "big deal" release. Not because it has 80% market share, but because Android was always the most open OS, letting developers push the limits of the OS as much as possible. I don't remember anything groundbreaking being introduced in Android in the last 2 years, because it always had a lot of stuff in it. The problem with Android was never that "I want to do that, but can't".
    thesachd likes this.
    11-25-2014 09:57 AM
    The real big issue with Android 4.x vs. WP is the usability (meaning settings mainly) and text entry. WP 8.1 wins hands down on text correction when typing. I've used the BlackBerry Z10/Z30 a lot, I know what I am talking about.

BlackBerry is absolute amazing with auto-correction. You can just type and also garbled words will be auto-corrected perfectly. WP is a bit of a step down, and Android 4.x is severely bad. I can even notice by the chats I get if the user has an Android device :).

My wife hates her Android and does not like to type on it because it just corrects to rubbish. I've been through all settings, but been not able to improve significantly.

Maybe 5.0 is better, but because of the very good camera on my Lumia 930 (I'm into photography) and the much better auto-correct text entry I'm staying with WP. To be honest, I don't care much for 64-bit, better graphics, etc. which one OEM mentioned earlier on. The practical things are the things that tick the boxes long term.
    11-25-2014 10:15 AM
    After using WP for 2 years, I gave android a shot with an HTC one M7, I liked it ok, but I still like windows phone more. I never got to try out Lollipop, but I still don't think it would lure me a way from WP. I think as a windows phone fan, Android 5.0 doesn't really change things. WP is so unique and different, and if you like it, nothing else really compares.
    Kazekage1981 likes this.
    11-25-2014 11:15 AM
    The real big issue with Android 4.x vs. WP is the usability (meaning settings mainly) and text entry. WP 8.1 wins hands down on text correction when typing. I've used the BlackBerry Z10/Z30 a lot, I know what I am talking about.

BlackBerry is absolute amazing with auto-correction. You can just type and also garbled words will be auto-corrected perfectly. WP is a bit of a step down, and Android 4.x is severely bad. I can even notice by the chats I get if the user has an Android device :).

My wife hates her Android and does not like to type on it because it just corrects to rubbish. I've been through all settings, but been not able to improve significantly.

Maybe 5.0 is better, but because of the very good camera on my Lumia 930 (I'm into photography) and the much better auto-correct text entry I'm staying with WP. To be honest, I don't care much for 64-bit, better graphics, etc. which one OEM mentioned earlier on. The practical things are the things that tick the boxes long term.
    That was definitely a huge sticking point for me when I gave android a try, the keyboard was simply subpar. I tried a few different keyboards in the store, and for me, none of them came close to the typing experience on windows phone. I can type faster and more accurate on a windows phone, and that's a big deal for me. Also being a photographer, the dedicated camera button, in combination with the purview camera make for a photography experience superior to any other phone out there IMO
    portalfocus likes this.
    11-25-2014 11:18 AM
    That was definitely a huge sticking point for me when I gave android a try, the keyboard was simply subpar. I tried a few different keyboards in the store, and for me, none of them came close to the typing experience on windows phone. I can type faster and more accurate on a windows phone, and that's a big deal for me. Also being a photographer, the dedicated camera button, in combination with the purview camera make for a photography experience superior to any other phone out there IMO
    Try touchpal keyboard. It's the one I use on android. But I agree, WP keyboard is the best! Looks and functionality
    11-25-2014 11:24 AM
    Android doesn't need a "big deal" release. Not because it has 80% market share, but because Android was always the most open OS, letting developers push the limits of the OS as much as possible. I don't remember anything groundbreaking being introduced in Android in the last 2 years, because it always had a lot of stuff in it. The problem with Android was never that "I want to do that, but can't".
    Haha you are mostly right.

But before the arrival of Android 5.0 there we're things that iOS and Windows Phone did better, which ultimately could have lead to a decline in Android.

First of all iOS had more quality applications, and in many ways still does for movie editing and audio editing. Android 5.0 narrows that gap and Google added low latency audio processing so Android will probably start to see more professional grade applications sooner rather than later.

Also Windows Phone was getting significant traction in the market, especially in emerging markets, due to the fact that Windows Phone would get updates and Android phones in the same price bracket didn't get updates.

Also Windows Phone had support for manual camera controls and RAW image capture, something Android couldn't do and Windows Phone soon got the love of mobile photographers too.

That has all changed because of both Android 5.0 and Google's and other OEMs initiatives. The Android One project and Motorola's offerings offer inexpensive phones that do get updates. Also Android has support for manual camera controls and RAW image capture, which is arguably better than Windows Phone.

They have also patched a number of performance issues with the OS, scrolling seems much better on Android 5.0 than I've come across on Windows Phones (including high end ones).

Android, or in this case, Google, have made serious attempts to crush any small competition from Windows Phone or iOS.

As far as settings go Android is way more arranged than Windows Phone is, even then, Android 5.0 offers a built in search function in the settings to get to what you need, Windows Phone's settings app is a disorganised and un functional mess.

The best thing about Android is the ability to swap out things that you don't like. I've noticed that Google Keyboard's auto correction can be a bit inconsistent, but SwiftKey, Flesky or tons of other keyboards found on the Play Store offer way better auto correction and prediction than Windows Phone does.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-25-2014 11:50 AM
    Also Android has support for manual camera controls and RAW image capture, which is arguably better than Windows Phone
    I dont quite agree ,ive found windows phones manual controls better to use and better quality photos than my Note 3 and Nexus 5
    also most androids dont have proper cameras imho
    11-25-2014 11:58 AM
    also comparing update cycles like this is a joke actually
    you can say WP7 phones didnt get WP8,Lumia 810 and icon didnt get cyan(though DP allowed them to get 8.1)
    but you forget most androids are stuck on the firmware they shipped with or with just 1-2 updates
    also android L wont make it to 90% of android handsets and even if they do,they will get it next year
    atleast with ios and windows phone you get it on your supported device within 2-3 weeks with ease
    11-25-2014 12:08 PM
    I dont quite agree ,ive found windows phones manual controls better to use and better quality photos than my Note 3 and Nexus 5
    also most androids dont have proper cameras imho
    What is your definition of a proper camera, care to elaborate?

And here are Android 5.0's camera capabilities, I believe they are on par if not significantly better: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...oid_50_camera/

also comparing update cycles like this is a joke actually
    you can say WP7 phones didnt get WP8,Lumia 810 and icon didnt get cyan(though DP allowed them to get 8.1)
    but you forget most androids are stuck on the firmware they shipped with or with just 1-2 updates
    also android L wont make it to 90% of android handsets and even if they do,they will get it next year
    atleast with ios and windows phone you get it on your supported device within 2-3 weeks with ease
    Actually after having seen a lot of people around me I've noticed that quite a bit of people don't care about updates. When they get their Android phone and they love the way it works, they feel no need to update or even care if they ever got it.

For a lot of people updates have never mattered, reliability has which is partially the reason why Android's fragmentation charts can be unimpressive.

Also there are about 30 Windows Phone devices that will receive Windows 10, if I am not wrong? There are also 30 Android devices that will get the Android 5.0 update(low end, mid range and high end). And I'm not even mentioning the devices that will have Custom ROM support for the update.

Also it's not fair to just see a fragmentation chart and deduce Android has terrible updates, because those charts also include Android TVs and highly antiquated devices (even those dating back to the time of WP7).

Android updates have become the last resort and most desperate attempt at bringing it down, we'll honestly it really ain't an issue anymore.

In just a few months, to reiterate my original point, there'll be more Android devices running Lollipop than the total number of Windows Phones in the hands of people being actively used, this is even true today (with KitKat however).
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-25-2014 12:35 PM
    And here are Android 5.0's camera capabilities
    Android 5.0's camera capabilities are hardware dependent. The API is totally useless to those of us with phones from manufacturers who chose not to support it.

You want an example...? Moto X, Moto E, Moto G, Moto G 4G, Moto X 2nd Gen, Moto G 2nd Gen... You get the picture. And this from a company that was owned by Google.

----------

I think it fair to say that some people will be pi55ing in the air in delight when their phones are updated to Android L, and other will be meh.

Me? I'm happy with my Lumia 735. It does what I want without having to meddle with the underlying system.
    11-25-2014 02:36 PM
    Another huge feature IMO from Skype, this is one feature that will probably be limited only on Android.

http://www.androidcentral.com/skype-...icture-support
    11-26-2014 05:45 AM
    Android 5.0's camera capabilities are hardware dependent. The API is totally useless to those of us with phones from manufacturers who chose not to support it.

You want an example...? Moto X, Moto E, Moto G, Moto G 4G, Moto X 2nd Gen, Moto G 2nd Gen... You get the picture. And this from a company that was owned by Google.

----------

I think it fair to say that some people will be pi55ing in the air in delight when their phones are updated to Android L, and other will be meh.

Me? I'm happy with my Lumia 735. It does what I want without having to meddle with the underlying system.
    We'll the Android Lollipop camera capabilities much like it's native screen recording features don't need to be supported by manufacturers for them to work.

Not all Windows Phone manufacturers support manual camera controls in their apps either, like HTC or Samsung. But you always have apps like ProShot to rely on.

Android will soon see some pro camera apps as we'll, there is currently one but it's limited to the Nexus 5 and it's in BETA stages. Works fine most times though, even support 60 FPS video and manual focus during video.

Lots of people are happy with what their Android phone can do as we'll, but more functionality is always appreciated and not really ever mandatory.

BTW Android 5.0 also supports screen recording which is something I realised a while back, extremely useful.
    11-26-2014 06:04 AM
    BTW Android 5.0 also supports screen recording which is something I realised a while back, extremely useful.
    WP supports screen recording, too. It just needs a PC. And why would someone want to record the screen from the phone? It'll tax the processor a lot and drain the battery. Better have a PC (any of those cheapo Windows tablets will work) do all the heavy work of encoding the video while your phone only does what you want it to be doing/demonstrating.
    11-26-2014 06:25 AM
    Another huge feature IMO from Skype, this is one feature that will probably be limited only on Android.

http://www.androidcentral.com/skype-...icture-support
    If MS wants, they could grant Skype deeper access to the OS and removing restrictions that may allow Modern Skype apps on Windows platforms to get this functionality, too (like the desktop Skype app). Not an impossibly, but not an extremely wanted feature, either.
    11-26-2014 06:35 AM
    WP supports screen recording, too. It just needs a PC. And why would someone want to record the screen from the phone? It'll tax the processor a lot and drain the battery. Better have a PC (any of those cheapo Windows tablets will work) do all the heavy work of encoding the video while your phone only does what you want it to be doing/demonstrating.
    Yes I know any feature that Android has you will try to discredit as much as possible.

And to the best of my knowledge Windows Phone doesn't support screen recording, it supports screen projection. You need a PC, you need to get the Project my Screen app working (people have tons of issues with it), then you'll need to find a quality screen recorder that possibly doesn't watermark your footage. And then recording audio is a totally different affair. What if you also want to show your face while the recording is being done?

Those are a lot of steps you'll have to do just to get your desired results, but on Android it's as easy as this:

Android 5.0 Lollipop - Screen Recording - No Root:

Also on Android you can select the bitrate and resolution of the video so that the video runs smoothly, and it's not like you'll always be running the app that it'll drain huge chunks of your battery.

Lastly I also find screen recording extremely useful to send a video of a bug in an app or game, or to maybe help out a friend with an Android device and sending the video through WhatsApp.

Still think screen recording isn't useful on phones? Think again.
    FinancialP likes this.
    11-26-2014 06:41 AM
    If MS wants, they could grant Skype deeper access to the OS and removing restrictions that may allow Modern Skype apps on Windows platforms to get this functionality, too (like the desktop Skype app). Not an impossibly, but not an extremely wanted feature, either.
    While this is indeed a possibility, what makes it more unlikely is the fact that Microsoft generally doesn't go the extra mile just to make their app on Windows Phone better.

Their preference is often, not always, but *OFTEN* given to iOS and Android.

Whatever your thoughts on this may be, it may not have been an extremely wanted feature but it was a wanted feature nonetheless.
    11-26-2014 06:55 AM
    Yes I know any feature that Android has you will try to discredit as much as possible.
    And to the best of my knowledge Windows Phone doesn't support screen recording, it supports screen projection. You need a PC, you need to get the Project my Screen app working (people have tons of issues with it), then you'll need to find a quality screen recorder that possibly doesn't watermark your footage. And then recording audio is a totally different affair. What if you also want to show your face while the recording is being done?
    Those are a lot of steps you'll have to do just to get your desired results, but on Android it's as easy as this:
    Android 5.0 Lollipop - Screen Recording - No Root:
    Also on Android you can select the bitrate and resolution of the video so that the video runs smoothly, and it's not like you'll always be running the app that it'll drain huge chunks of your battery.
    Lastly I also find screen recording extremely useful to send a video of a bug in an app or game, or to maybe help out a friend with an Android device and sending the video through WhatsApp.
    Still think screen recording isn't useful on phones? Think again.
    I'm NOT discrediting Android. This little open-source program records the WP screen on a PC: http://wmpoweruser.com/new-open-sour...een-recording/

Regarding audio, I think you can just use the audio out jack on the phone and plug it in to a mic jack of a PC (using a male connector on both sides of the cable) and record it from your PC (a simple recording app would do)... Or simply record the audio from the phone itself. Then there are plenty of apps that could add your audio to your silent video. Not hassle-free, but not that very difficult either.

The scenarios you present are pretty rare ones. And once when I had to capture both the audio and the video from my phone, I used my PC and was fine with it.

And BTW for helping someone out, here's what I do: I get that person on Skype, project my screen from my phone to my PC, start screen sharing from the desktop Skype app and then make the WP screen projection window go full screen on my PC. That person could hear me and my phone and see my screen in real-time, along with my face, too. Better than recording and sending separately. All without eating my phone's resources (that's my PC streaming my phone's screen) or using recording equipment.

It's not that useful as you want it to look like. If you're doing that, you're a power user already and for that once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence, you can easily do that with a PC in a much better way.
    Last edited by Wam1q; 11-26-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    11-26-2014 07:26 AM
    I'm NOT discrediting Android. This little open-source program records the WP screen on a PC: http://wmpoweruser.com/new-open-sour...een-recording/

Regarding audio, I think you can just use the audio out jack on the phone and plug it in to a mic jack of a PC (using a male connector on both sides of the cable) and record it from your PC (a simple recording app would do)... Or simply record the audio from the phone itself. Then there are plenty of apps that could add your audio to your silent video. Not hassle-free, but not that very difficult either.

The scenarios you present are pretty rare ones. And once when I had to capture both the audio and the video from my phone, I used my PC and was fine with it.

And BTW for helping someone out, here's what I do: I get that person on Skype, project my screen from my phone to my PC, start screen sharing from the desktop Skype app and then make the WP screen projection window go full screen on my PC. That person could hear me and my phone and see my screen in real-time, along with my face, too. Better than recording and sending separately. All without eating my phone's resources (that's my PC streaming my phone's screen) or using recording equipment.

It's not that useful as you want it to look like. If you're doing that, you're a power user already and for that once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence, you can easily do that with a PC in a much better way.
    That's a whole lot of work and extremely frustrating, considering you'll need a PC at all times.

Plus aided by the help of a PC, the possibilities are endless. Especially in the case of Android.

It's what the phone can do on it's own that really separates it. And in all honestly if I we're forced to use a mobile OS on my PC, Windows Phone would probably be at the end of my list with Android and iOS on top.

You can essentially tell me all the solutions and workarounds to carry out simple tasks(for Android) on Windows Phone, in the end they'll never be as user friendly and usually much more frustrating.
    11-26-2014 09:28 AM
    That's a whole lot of work and extremely frustrating, considering you'll need a PC at all times.

Plus aided by the help of a PC, the possibilities are endless. Especially in the case of Android.

It's what the phone can do on it's own that really separates it. And in all honestly if I we're forced to use a mobile OS on my PC, Windows Phone would probably be at the end of my list with Android and iOS on top.

You can essentially tell me all the solutions and workarounds to carry out simple tasks(for Android) on Windows Phone, in the end they'll never be as user friendly and usually much more frustrating.
    That work is not done at all times. Recording the outputs from a phone is advanced work and you most likely have a PC with you when you do that.

iOS is not geared towards productivity at all. Don't get me started on the extreme silly restrictions it has. Regarding Android as a desktop OS, my answer is a no. Hell, even a jailbroken Windows RT tablet is better than a rooted Android or jalibroken iOS device. And since hackers are trying their best to get homebrew/advanced stuff done with WP (and they are getting successful), a jailbroken WP could be used as a desktop OS, too (not as functional as stock Android, though--but still).

I repeat, this is advanced stuff and not an everyday task. For helping somebody out, Skype on a PC is still better. For all other proposes, it is possible to do with a PC if you have to do it. Not a huge advantage to Android, here.
    11-26-2014 09:44 AM
    That work is not done at all times. Recording the outputs from a phone is advanced work and you most likely have a PC with you when you do that.

iOS is not geared towards productivity at all. Don't get me started on the extreme silly restrictions it has. Regarding Android as a desktop OS, my answer is a no. Hell, even a jailbroken Windows RT tablet is better than a rooted Android or jalibroken iOS device. And since hackers are trying their best to get homebrew/advanced stuff done with WP (and they are getting successful), a jailbroken WP could be used as a desktop OS, too (not as functional as stock Android, though--but still).

I repeat, this is advanced stuff and not an everyday task. For helping somebody out, Skype on a PC is still better. For all other proposes, it is possible to do with a PC if you have to do it. Not a huge advantage to Android, here.
    Okay...listen. Here are two cases where I have found screen recording extremely useful:

- Facebook has a new inline video player on Android which means I can't download the videos onto my Android device directly from there. I screen record funny videos and send them over to friends, especially awesome is the fact is that the audio remains intact.

- If someone wants to know how to change their default keyboard, or some other menial work, I no longer have to tell them to read lengthy articles, I can simply guide them via a small video.

In most cases people wouldn't whip out their PCs to do simple work.

Again you can deny the usefulness of any feature that Android has and then later go crazy when the feature arrives on Windows Phone, like what happened with the notification centre.
    11-26-2014 09:57 AM
    Okay...listen. Here are two cases where I have found screen recording extremely useful:

- Facebook has a new inline video player on Android which means I can't download the videos onto my Android device directly from there. I screen record funny videos and send them over to friends, especially awesome is the fact is that the audio remains intact.

- If someone wants to know how to change their default keyboard, or some other menial work, I no longer have to tell them to read lengthy articles, I can simply guide them via a small video.

In most cases people wouldn't whip out their PCs to do simple work.

Again you can deny the usefulness of any feature that Android has and then later go crazy when the feature arrives on Windows Phone, like what happened with the notification centre.
    Well, here's my argument:

1. On WP, when playing Facebook videos through IE, I get an option to 'open' them or 'save' them: Tapping on 'open' opens a full-screen streaming video player. Tapping on 'save' will download the .mp4 file to my Videos folder. More convenient than what you say you do on Android...

2. And helping someone out can be also done equally good using a short self-made tutorial along with screenshots. Or if you have a PC, then nothing beats the convenience/ease of Skype.
    11-26-2014 10:16 AM
    Well, here's my argument:

1. On WP, when playing Facebook videos http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...cce30b965f.png through IE, I get an option to 'open' them or 'save' them: http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...dd325ffb58.png Tapping on 'open' opens a full-screen streaming video player. Tapping on 'save' will download the .mp4 file to my Videos folder. More convenient than what you say you do on Android...

2. And helping someone out can be also done equally good using a short self-made tutorial along with screenshots. Or if you have a PC, then nothing beats the convenience/ease of Skype.
    To that I would say, that in most cases Android's functionality is second to none and your solution in part 1 is something even Android can do:

1417019355360.jpg

I know that you can always use the browser to download a video, but that in itself is a hassle, and quite a big one with all the logging in and searching a specific video.

Sometimes I often see a friend liking a post of some page from a few months back, and searching it in the browser to download is a pain, screen recording makes it much easier.

In part 2, no screenshots aren't as effective and are definitely more time consuming, often much much longer than a simple screen record from a phone will be and no, many people will not whip out their PCs simple help in anything.

Ease of use is something Windows Phone users used to brag about to Android users, the tables sure have turned.
    11-26-2014 10:32 AM
    Android is anyday more effective and has more functionalities than WP(can only dream of). Can you share multiple photos to Whatsapp from Gallery? Cant do :P, you'd have to go the app and open photo picker to do that. As someone said in this thread, there's endless possibilities with Android. :)
    11-27-2014 05:54 AM
    Android is anyday more effective and has more functionalities than WP(can only dream of). Can you share multiple photos to Whatsapp from Gallery? Cant do :P, you'd have to go the app and open photo picker to do that. As someone said in this thread, there's endless possibilities with Android. :)
    Oh trust me, your example of WhatsApp is just merely a fraction of what Android, and it's better applications can do.

To the best of my knowledge if a video is too big to send, Windows Phone just gives you a warning message and doesn't let you send it.

The Android WhatsApp allows for the video to be cropped before being sent, if it is too large:

1417091780456.jpg

Also you can't send audio with iOS or Windows Phone, like you can with Android:

1417091825000.jpg
    11-27-2014 06:37 AM
    YYes I know bro :) . I had Android before I switched to WP. But Im fine with all the limitations of WP and dont care if it doesnt let me do one thing or the other. It's not like it's the end of the world IMO. But for many people it can get very irritating. I dont recommend WP to anyone except to some old people :)
    11-27-2014 06:47 AM
244 ... 56789 ...