Why Android 5.0 isn't as big of a deal as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ticomfreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Project Volta will do absolutely nothing. Remember "Project Butter" that was supposed to kill Windows Phone and iOS is speed and smoothness? It barely did anything.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Haha. This undeniable burn.
People bash Android for not getting updates on time, but at least Google's own Nexus devices get updates at the same time...

Who is it preventing Windows Phones getting updates - Microsoft or the networks? If it's the networks, then why not buy an unlocked device?

Even Motorola, who has promised updates to Lollipop for its more recent handsets says updates are dependent on its partners (presumably that means networks.)

I agree, Apple is the only manufacturer to do things right regarding OS upgrades. How come the carriers don't need to test iOS?!

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Who is it preventing Windows Phones getting updates - Microsoft or the networks? If it's the networks, then why not buy an unlocked device?

Even Motorola, who has promised updates to Lollipop for its more recent handsets says updates are dependent on its partners (presumably that means networks.)

I agree, Apple is the only manufacturer to do things right regarding OS upgrades. How come the carriers don't need to test iOS?!

Well, the Cyan rollout for unlocked handsets was very slow, itself. Carriers had no say in that.

How long was Lollipop released? It just arrived for Nexus 4, etc, only about two weeks ago I think. And now, today I see:
Moto testing out the Lollipop update for Verizon's Moto X (2014) - GSMArena Blog

This is the same Verizon that isn't even updating the Icon.

Summary: Carriers are evil, but MS needs to a single worldwide rollout themselves too. God knows they have the resources for it.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that. So MS is partly to blame.

As for the likes of Samsung and Sony rolling out the Lollipop update, this is only for the latest handsets. Plenty of their handsets are stuck on 4.3...

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Project butter made no difference to androids smoothness at all. My two android devices reacted the same before and after the update, slow and laggy.
While yes Project Butter was not able to eliminate lag completely it was still extremely successful, Project Svelte did a pretty good job of mostly finishing the loose ends.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Well there's a reason why its known Lagdroid.
Those single line responses and those clich?d expressions serve really no purpose in a thread where people come up with intelligent responses to the argument that is being discussed.

Just as you say lagdroid with nothing to back it up I could say that Windows Phone has "NO APPPSSSSS!!!" or "no customisation!!!!". And frankly both statements would be more true than yours.

Nonetheless if you have an argument about Android's performance please go onto present it, because I've been using a Nexus 5 running Lollipop and it has been running flawlessly(apart from few animation flaw once or twice).

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I recently came across a thread on Android Central about a person that feared Windows Phone will take over, after a bit of inspecting I realised that the post was from 2011, and I laughed my *** off when I saw that Windows Phone hadn't even gained a 5% marketshare near the end of 2014.

But one interesting post on page 4 or 5 by GeoDude described Windows Phone quite we'll:

"The inherent flaws with WP8 is that it has all of the limitations of iOS, but none of the app support to make up for it. It's basically a crippled iOS with a different UI.

In the beginning, Android didn't have the app support of iOS either. But how it differed was the free reign it gave you to your files, and it allowed customization like widgets/rooting/launchers/custom ROMs etc.

WP8 has none of that. It has nothing going for it compared to iOS or Android."

Android 5.0 may not be a big deal to you guys, but it is another step towards ensuring Android dominance in almost all places.

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Android doesn't need a "big deal" release. Not because it has 80% market share, but because Android was always the most open OS, letting developers push the limits of the OS as much as possible. I don't remember anything groundbreaking being introduced in Android in the last 2 years, because it always had a lot of stuff in it. The problem with Android was never that "I want to do that, but can't".

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
The real big issue with Android 4.x vs. WP is the usability (meaning settings mainly) and text entry. WP 8.1 wins hands down on text correction when typing. I've used the BlackBerry Z10/Z30 a lot, I know what I am talking about.

BlackBerry is absolute amazing with auto-correction. You can just type and also garbled words will be auto-corrected perfectly. WP is a bit of a step down, and Android 4.x is severely bad. I can even notice by the chats I get if the user has an Android device :).

My wife hates her Android and does not like to type on it because it just corrects to rubbish. I've been through all settings, but been not able to improve significantly.

Maybe 5.0 is better, but because of the very good camera on my Lumia 930 (I'm into photography) and the much better auto-correct text entry I'm staying with WP. To be honest, I don't care much for 64-bit, better graphics, etc. which one OEM mentioned earlier on. The practical things are the things that tick the boxes long term.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
After using WP for 2 years, I gave android a shot with an HTC one M7, I liked it ok, but I still like windows phone more. I never got to try out Lollipop, but I still don't think it would lure me a way from WP. I think as a windows phone fan, Android 5.0 doesn't really change things. WP is so unique and different, and if you like it, nothing else really compares.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The real big issue with Android 4.x vs. WP is the usability (meaning settings mainly) and text entry. WP 8.1 wins hands down on text correction when typing. I've used the BlackBerry Z10/Z30 a lot, I know what I am talking about.

BlackBerry is absolute amazing with auto-correction. You can just type and also garbled words will be auto-corrected perfectly. WP is a bit of a step down, and Android 4.x is severely bad. I can even notice by the chats I get if the user has an Android device :).

My wife hates her Android and does not like to type on it because it just corrects to rubbish. I've been through all settings, but been not able to improve significantly.

Maybe 5.0 is better, but because of the very good camera on my Lumia 930 (I'm into photography) and the much better auto-correct text entry I'm staying with WP. To be honest, I don't care much for 64-bit, better graphics, etc. which one OEM mentioned earlier on. The practical things are the things that tick the boxes long term.

That was definitely a huge sticking point for me when I gave android a try, the keyboard was simply subpar. I tried a few different keyboards in the store, and for me, none of them came close to the typing experience on windows phone. I can type faster and more accurate on a windows phone, and that's a big deal for me. Also being a photographer, the dedicated camera button, in combination with the purview camera make for a photography experience superior to any other phone out there IMO

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
That was definitely a huge sticking point for me when I gave android a try, the keyboard was simply subpar. I tried a few different keyboards in the store, and for me, none of them came close to the typing experience on windows phone. I can type faster and more accurate on a windows phone, and that's a big deal for me. Also being a photographer, the dedicated camera button, in combination with the purview camera make for a photography experience superior to any other phone out there IMO
Try touchpal keyboard. It's the one I use on android. But I agree, WP keyboard is the best! Looks and functionality

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Android doesn't need a "big deal" release. Not because it has 80% market share, but because Android was always the most open OS, letting developers push the limits of the OS as much as possible. I don't remember anything groundbreaking being introduced in Android in the last 2 years, because it always had a lot of stuff in it. The problem with Android was never that "I want to do that, but can't".
Haha you are mostly right.

But before the arrival of Android 5.0 there we're things that iOS and Windows Phone did better, which ultimately could have lead to a decline in Android.

First of all iOS had more quality applications, and in many ways still does for movie editing and audio editing. Android 5.0 narrows that gap and Google added low latency audio processing so Android will probably start to see more professional grade applications sooner rather than later.

Also Windows Phone was getting significant traction in the market, especially in emerging markets, due to the fact that Windows Phone would get updates and Android phones in the same price bracket didn't get updates.

Also Windows Phone had support for manual camera controls and RAW image capture, something Android couldn't do and Windows Phone soon got the love of mobile photographers too.

That has all changed because of both Android 5.0 and Google's and other OEMs initiatives. The Android One project and Motorola's offerings offer inexpensive phones that do get updates. Also Android has support for manual camera controls and RAW image capture, which is arguably better than Windows Phone.

They have also patched a number of performance issues with the OS, scrolling seems much better on Android 5.0 than I've come across on Windows Phones (including high end ones).

Android, or in this case, Google, have made serious attempts to crush any small competition from Windows Phone or iOS.

As far as settings go Android is way more arranged than Windows Phone is, even then, Android 5.0 offers a built in search function in the settings to get to what you need, Windows Phone's settings app is a disorganised and un functional mess.

The best thing about Android is the ability to swap out things that you don't like. I've noticed that Google Keyboard's auto correction can be a bit inconsistent, but SwiftKey, Flesky or tons of other keyboards found on the Play Store offer way better auto correction and prediction than Windows Phone does.

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Also Android has support for manual camera controls and RAW image capture, which is arguably better than Windows Phone

I dont quite agree ,ive found windows phones manual controls better to use and better quality photos than my Note 3 and Nexus 5
also most androids dont have proper cameras imho

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
also comparing update cycles like this is a joke actually
you can say WP7 phones didnt get WP8,Lumia 810 and icon didnt get cyan(though DP allowed them to get 8.1)
but you forget most androids are stuck on the firmware they shipped with or with just 1-2 updates
also android L wont make it to 90% of android handsets and even if they do,they will get it next year
atleast with ios and windows phone you get it on your supported device within 2-3 weeks with ease

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I dont quite agree ,ive found windows phones manual controls better to use and better quality photos than my Note 3 and Nexus 5
also most androids dont have proper cameras imho

What is your definition of a proper camera, care to elaborate?

And here are Android 5.0's camera capabilities, I believe they are on par if not significantly better: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2lr0d2/an_indepth_analysis_of_the_new_android_50_camera/

also comparing update cycles like this is a joke actually
you can say WP7 phones didnt get WP8,Lumia 810 and icon didnt get cyan(though DP allowed them to get 8.1)
but you forget most androids are stuck on the firmware they shipped with or with just 1-2 updates
also android L wont make it to 90% of android handsets and even if they do,they will get it next year
atleast with ios and windows phone you get it on your supported device within 2-3 weeks with ease

Actually after having seen a lot of people around me I've noticed that quite a bit of people don't care about updates. When they get their Android phone and they love the way it works, they feel no need to update or even care if they ever got it.

For a lot of people updates have never mattered, reliability has which is partially the reason why Android's fragmentation charts can be unimpressive.

Also there are about 30 Windows Phone devices that will receive Windows 10, if I am not wrong? There are also 30 Android devices that will get the Android 5.0 update(low end, mid range and high end). And I'm not even mentioning the devices that will have Custom ROM support for the update.

Also it's not fair to just see a fragmentation chart and deduce Android has terrible updates, because those charts also include Android TVs and highly antiquated devices (even those dating back to the time of WP7).

Android updates have become the last resort and most desperate attempt at bringing it down, we'll honestly it really ain't an issue anymore.

In just a few months, to reiterate my original point, there'll be more Android devices running Lollipop than the total number of Windows Phones in the hands of people being actively used, this is even true today (with KitKat however).

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
And here are Android 5.0's camera capabilities

Android 5.0's camera capabilities are hardware dependent. The API is totally useless to those of us with phones from manufacturers who chose not to support it.

You want an example...? Moto X, Moto E, Moto G, Moto G 4G, Moto X 2nd Gen, Moto G 2nd Gen... You get the picture. And this from a company that was owned by Google.

----------

I think it fair to say that some people will be pi55ing in the air in delight when their phones are updated to Android L, and other will be meh.

Me? I'm happy with my Lumia 735. It does what I want without having to meddle with the underlying system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)