Why Android 5.0 isn't as big of a deal as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Already KitKat has polished android little bit of fine tuning required which is android l.But still wp is very aesthetically superior os.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Already KitKat has polished android little bit of fine tuning required which is android l.But still wp is very aesthetically superior os.

Which OS is more aesthetically pleasing will depend on who you ask, it's subjective.

Personally I find the huge headers in Metro UI very frustrating and annoying, I like Matetial Design's approach of getting out of the way to read your content waay better.

But I like some of the icons on Windows Phone better.

But then again it depends on what "you" like, so really no point of arguing about design.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone? Lol.

Maybe Android's approach on multitasking may not be the most battery friendly, but considering that we Android OEM's are already coming out with near 4000 mAH battery it surpasses the competition(maybe not through software, but definitely through hardware).

User profiles is extremely useful IMO, so is screen pinning. I have often found myself giving my phone to someone to make a call and they eventually "try" to snoop into my SMS or something, user profiles(or screen pinning) will help me(and a hell lot of other users).

Android has never been at the bottom of security charts, nor are anti-viruses recommended on Android. Please get your facts straight.

Mobile Security Smackdown: iOS vs. Android vs. BlackBerry vs. Windows Phone - Page: 1 | CRN

The fact that Android is more open, people mess with superuser permissions and install applications not from the Play Store is why some users put themselves at risk, Google is not to blame for this.

Also the reason why Windows Phone has yet to get any kind of security threats is primarily because no hackers care enough for this OS, in fact most of the general population don't care either.

And there are other things regarding security in Android Lollipop apart from encryption(which WP to the best of my knowledge doesn't have).

And you forgot to mention: the new ART runtime(upto 4X faster performance), 60 FPS animations, hotword activiation when phone is off(for supported devices), 8 MP burst mode, better lock screen notifications, better notifications and power toggles, trusted face, better graphics in games(they we're already significantly better than WP), low latency audio processing(Android could see professional voice recording apps soon), support for 64 bit hardware, and applications, etc.

It's way more exciting of an update than any WP update I've heard of.
and still, apps cannot be saved to the sd card if they use widgets. Go windows phone!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Android is clearly in the lead in terms of functionality. There is no question about that, however, WP is just easier to use really. It's like the mid point between iOS and android with a balance of speed and features. I just wish that microsoft could advertise WP more and make the meda talk about it more. Most people know that is has an 'app gap'. That's it. They don't know what apps are missing or what it can do.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Maybe Android's approach on multitasking may not be the most battery friendly, but considering that we Android OEM's are already coming out with near 4000 mAH battery it surpasses the competition(maybe not through software, but definitely through hardware).

User profiles is extremely useful IMO, so is screen pinning. I have often found myself giving my phone to someone to make a call and they eventually "try" to snoop into my SMS or something, user profiles(or screen pinning) will help me(and a hell lot of other users).

Android has never been at the bottom of security charts, nor are anti-viruses recommended on Android. Please get your facts straight.

Mobile Security Smackdown: iOS vs. Android vs. BlackBerry vs. Windows Phone - Page: 1 | CRN

The fact that Android is more open, people mess with superuser permissions and install applications not from the Play Store is why some users put themselves at risk, Google is not to blame for this.

Also the reason why Windows Phone has yet to get any kind of security threats is primarily because no hackers care enough for this OS, in fact most of the general population don't care either.

And there are other things regarding security in Android Lollipop apart from encryption(which WP to the best of my knowledge doesn't have).

And you forgot to mention: the new ART runtime(upto 4X faster performance), 60 FPS animations, hotword activiation when phone is off(for supported devices), 8 MP burst mode, better lock screen notifications, better notifications and power toggles, trusted face, better graphics in games(they we're already significantly better than WP), low latency audio processing(Android could see professional voice recording apps soon), support for 64 bit hardware, and applications, etc.

windows phone already has 64bit support(alcatel is selling a phone with a snapdragon 410. Through GDR updates, more chipsets are supported. 60fps Animations? Really? How does that help the customer in anyway. Battery life concerns however it could be optimised. We already have burst modes, including 8mp. We got that with 8.1. In terms of graphics, it's te developers fault that graphics are better on the android version. However they are alright, look at lumia 930/1520 gaming on youtube. Direct X 12 is coming too. We have kids corner and a mode that allows the phone to be used as if it was a demo phone in a store introduced in 8.1 update 1. 8.1 enabled bitlocker encryption. All the other features are things people can live without.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

No. Once again: Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone. I was actually waiting for someone to try to make this argument. It doesn't matter if an Android OEM does put a 4000mAH battery in their device. You know why? Windows Phone OEMs can do the same. It's already been proven running the same hardware, Windows Phone has better battery life. Also, that entire point was about Android (which is an OS; i.e software), so bringing up bigger batteries isn't a very valid point.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to address this point. So, you give your phone to others to make a call and then walk away? Are these strangers, or people you know? In any case, it isn't very smart to leave your phone with anyone unattended, especially those that are untrustworthy. I'll chalk this up to user-error.

Don't allow personal feelings to cloud reasoning and judgment. Android is insecure. It has the worst security of the big three mobile OS. Malware in the Google Play Store is prevalent, and an issue. Anti-malware apps are recommended. Face facts. I said before and I'll say it again: you're trading security for freedom.

As for the WP case, it's true that the same amount of effort to get malware onto Android devices doesn't go into getting it on WP devices. However, it's also much harder to do so. Between the required UEFI support, limited side-loading abilities, application isolation, limited ability to run applications in the background, and the application approval process just to get in the WP Store, it's infinitely harder to get malware on a WP device. Again, face facts: WP has much better security than Android, even without encryption.

There are reasons I didn't mention these. ART isn't a big deal, as cool as it is. 60 FPS animations, I doubt are a consistent 60. Lock screen notifications are pretty ridiculous. Why would you want your notifications on your lock screen for anyone to see? It's good there's different levels for how much info you want displayed, though. I won't discuss graphics since you seem incapable of separating your opinions from facts. As for 64-bit hardware, I read about some WP device being released with the Snapdragon 410 SoC, but that really isn't surprising, considering 64-bit hardware is capable of running 32-bit code. As for support for 64-bit applications, well, the majority of developers will continue to create 32-bit apps, seeing as how they aren't even taking advantage of the multiple cores already, which is to say, the majority of applications don't need the extra power.
Anyway, time to face reality, bud.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
and still, apps cannot be saved to the sd card if they use widgets. Go windows phone!

Apps that I run that have widgets that I actually use(there aren't many) are small, like weather apps or Flipboard. I don't need to put those on the SD card anyways. You keep bringing up this small SD card limitation in just about every Android vs Windows Phone debate, but it has never once had an effect on me or how I use my device.

If there was a feature I wanted to use that showed how Windows Phone had an advantage over Android, I could think of much better ones.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
ART isn't a big deal, as cool as it is. 60 FPS animations, I doubt are a consistent 60.

Yes, ART is a big deal. Not only does it increase framerate by a ridiculous ammount, it increases battery life of the OS considerably.

Lock screen notifications are pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, because catching a glimpse of important emails and other notifications without having to unlock my device is utterly ridiculous, and I don't understand why anyone would want to do that.

Why would you want your notifications on your lock screen for anyone to see?

Wow, you're reaching really far here to turn this function into a useless negative.

As for support for 64-bit applications, well, the majority of developers will continue to create 32-bit apps, seeing as how they aren't even taking advantage of the multiple cores already, which is to say, the majority of applications don't need the extra power.

Apps and games on Android do in fact take advantage of multiple cores, and there are instances on Windows Phone when it would be fantastic to to have the extra power of running a multi-threaded application. This is the future, and because it is happening on Android before it happens on Windows Phone, it is being scoffed at and written off.

Anyway, time to face reality, bud.

The reality that I see is, that any time there is an advancement or new feature that is added to Android, the Windows Phone hardcore elite are quick to label it as "ridiculous" and "unnecessary." Particularly in the case of something that Windows Phone doesn't have, it is written off with a quick "we don't need that." Just like quad-core cpu's and more than 512mb of system ram. These were things that Windows Phone users insisted that Windows Phone did not need. Until they got them of course...then they were great.

It's awesome to be a user of multiple platforms, it makes you appreciate the difference in every one of them. They are all unique in different ways, and I don't see the logic in liking one and bitterly hating another. I love iOS, Android, and Windows Phone about equally, and I personally don't care what anyone here thinks about that.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Apps and games on Android do in fact take advantage of multiple cores, and there are instances on Windows Phone when it would be fantastic to to have the extra power of running a multi-threaded application.

Take advantage of multiple cores? Yes. Apps and games that somewhat use two cores are a dime a dozen on any OS, including WP. I suspect you are referring to apps and games that can consistently saturate three cores or more. I'm not aware of any such apps or games on any mobile OS. You have anything to back that claim up with? Everything I'm aware of suggests that is BS.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You can pull down from the top of your windows phone on the locks screen and there are your notifications.There is even an option in the settings to disable it from working in the lock screen. I won't lie though. The notification screen on android 5.0 looks gorgeous compared to the one on WP.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Take advantage of multiple cores? Yes. Apps and games that somewhat use two cores are a dime a dozen on any OS, including WP. I suspect you are referring to apps and games that can consistently saturate three cores or more. I'm not aware of any such apps or games on any mobile OS. You have anything to back that claim up with? Everything I'm aware of suggests that is BS.

Serious question, do you even use Android at all?

There's a bunch of games with nice graphics that can load every core on an Android device, especially if you set the graphics quality on max. I grabbed a couple of screenshots for you, but I can make a YouTube video for you if you want.

I have to pull the notification shade down to see how many cores are running, because that's how this app works. Unfortunately, pulling down the notification shade also pauses the game, so I had to take the screenshot instantly. There is another system app I used to use that runs on-screen while the game is playing. I can't remember what its name was though. Maybe you know?

*edit*
This phone is a Sony Z Ultra with a Snapdragon 800

Dead Trigger, max graphics settings, 3 cores very active.

B2U2Ajt.jpg

Zen Pinball, max graphics playing The Walking Dead table. 4 cores very active during gameplay.

pfzlCf2.jpg

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
It is very funny that Windows(for PC &Laptop) is also very insecure platform.
Despite it's a Windows forum I read more about Android then Windows here.

For the knowledge
Windows got lot more sophisticated malware than Android.
It's also the favorite platform of Cybercriminals.
Android overtakes Windows PCs as most common platform for malware | AbsoluteGeeks.com

then again everyone here use Windows(in PC and Laptop Windows is the most insured OS).

This is why I think most users here who brag about Android security are nothing but excuse.
If the security is the most important concern than Android and Windows fall long time ago.
and users who brag that security is the most important aspect then they probably using Linux but they are not.
So, what's with the security thing?

Android 5.0 isn't as big deal as you thing. Yes.
But If I recall when Wp8.1 announced every WP fans was excited and talking about this would nail it. WP will grow, it's awesome, it the best OS things like that.

So, that's what Android users are doing. and i think all WP users will do same when W10(for phone) will announce.
W10 will not solve all the issues either as Android 5.0.

As chezm said "Its a positive step in the right direction for the mobile OS"

Last edited:

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I remembered which app I was looking for, it's called Perf Mon: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.perfmon

I checked Dead Trigger again, 3 cores are being consistently used, and the 4th gets enabled whenever there's an explosion or guts are flying all over the place.

QNKo1gZ.jpg

This game is Hellraid: The Escape, it's built using the Unreal Engine, and 4 cores are extensively used when I play it.

pruiF8b.jpg

Last edited:

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I am not going to waste my time responding to all the myths and opinions you are submitting as facts. I will respond to your claim of superior battery life. That claim is false.

Unlike you, I am not just regurgitating opinions, I am speaking from real life experiences with the platforms. Two of the phones I own and use daily are:
Lumia 1520.3. Battery capacity 3400mAh
HTC One Max. Battery capacity 3300mAh

The Lumia struggles to get through the day and has died on me multiple times before 7pm. I have had to run around looking for a power outlet before 3pm, one time, because I talked on it for over an hour.
My HTC One has NEVER died within a 24hr time frame. EVER. I know that when I power it one, it will be barely crossing 50% when I set it down for recharge by 10pm. It is by far the best phone I have ever used, in terms of battery life. And, that is with the ability to multitask.

So, why the disparity between my real life results and the perception out there? Most of the users here are still judging Android from their past experiences. Big mistake. WP, with the 8.1 iteration, has come a long way. Yet, most smartphone users still dismiss it based on the reputation it got from its WP7 days. I bet those users, if they tried WP now would be shocked at how far it has come. Yet, most WP users here do not see the irony of still judging Android from the early years.

I used Android for a long time and hated everything about it. I left it for a long time only returning late last year. I was shocked at the progress it had made. I did not recognize it. Zero lag. Awesome battery life. Fluid execution. feature rich implementation. I couldn't believe it. Yet, when I came here to research my Lumia 1520.3, I found people still using the same tired words to describe Android. It was bizarre to me. It was like stepping into a place frozen in time. There was a collective ignorance that was palpable. That collective ignorance was why everyone here said the Lumia 1520 had an awesome battery life. And you know what? They are right! Based on their very low barometer, it does have an awesome battery life. But, I bet you, an Android user will be disappointed by it. He/she would point out its battery life as average.

I would strongly advise you and most of the users here to step out of your box once in a while. Try something new, it will open your eyes to how limiting your mental growth can be when you lock yourself out of broader experiences. And while there are many things about my Lumia that I absolutely love, battery life is not one of them. And while there are somethings I know Android can be criticized for, ALL the things the OP complained about are not any of them. To me, he just sounds like someone that is trying too hard to hate an OS update that he feels anxious about. An OS update that has not even been released yet.

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
@jbestman

Why compare those two devices with different displays and processors? You have the ultimate form of evidence in the HTC one m8. It's the exact same phone, same hardware, running both WP and android. It's been shown that the WP m8 gives more battery life.

It IS true that WP offers more battery life because of the way background processes are handed, amongst other things. So there is a pro and con to each. Android-less battery life, but faster app resumes. WP - more battery life, slower app resumes

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, interesting... Thx for that. Will get back to you.

I don't know this for sure, but I would think that Windows Phones that have quad core cpu's are spreading their load out in the same manner when playing games. I mean, they aren't putting quad cores in them for no reason. Does anyone know of a WP app that measures cpu usage in real time?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You have the ultimate form of evidence in the HTC one m8. It's the exact same phone, same hardware, running both WP and android. It's been shown that the WP m8 gives more battery life.

Truth

Having a device available like the One M8 has absolutely proven that Windows Phone has better battery life vs Android. It's not even a debate.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Why compare those two devices with different displays and processors? You have the ultimate form of evidence in the HTC one m8. It's the exact same phone, same hardware, running both WP and android. It's been shown that the WP m8 gives more battery life.

Wrong!
I already said this once and repeating again.
WP isn't more battery efficient than Android.

at first glance it look like WP is more battery efficient but if you look at details you will find out it's not.
in GSMArena battery test

HTC One(M8) Window phone got 79hours Endurance rating
HTC One(M8) Android phone got 71 hours Endurance rating

But look at screen. Android M8 screen is 33% more brighter than Window Phone M8 during test, (this test result is based on 50% brightness)

1.jpg

Source:HTC One (M8) for Windows review: Tinker, Tailor - page 3 - GSMArena.com

I am getting sick of this false rumor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)