Why Android 5.0 isn't as big of a deal as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The dev tool application analysis is the only thing I know of.
Windows Phone Application Analysis for Windows Phone 8

That's a little more complex than what I was hoping for. Thank you for the link though :smile:

at first glance it look like WP is more battery efficient but if you look at details you will find out it's not.
in GSMArena battery test

Wow... I had not heard about this information. When I read here that the WP version of the M8 got better battery life than the Android version, I kind of just accepted it as the truth :eck:

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Wrong!
I already said this once and repeating again.
WP isn't more battery efficient than Android.

at first glance it look like WP is more battery efficient but if you look at details you will find out it's not.
in GSMArena battery test

HTC One(M8) Window phone got 79hours Endurance rating
HTC One(M8) Android phone got 71 hours Endurance rating

But look at screen. Android M8 screen is 33% more brighter than Window Phone M8 during test, (this test result is based on 50% brightness)

View attachment 86312

Source:HTC One (M8) for Windows review: Tinker, Tailor - page 3 - GSMArena.com

I am getting sick of this false rumor
Um... They mention that the 79 hour and 71 hour is standby time. So screen brightness has nothing to do with it.

It's not clear in the article, but it seems they use the devices for one hour each day.

A 33% brighter screen would not account for the 8 hours difference in battery life for just 3 hours of usage and the rest in standby lol.

Not bashing on android. It's just the truth. But personally I prefer the android method of a little less battery life, faster app resumes for my tablet.

For a phone I use daily, I would prefer longer battery life at the expense of a little longer app resumes. Which is why I have an android tablet and windows phone. Love the combo :)

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Um... They mention that the 79 hour and 71 hour is standby time. So screen brightness has nothing to do with it.

It's not clear in the article, but it seems they use the devices for one hour each day.

A 33% brighter screen would not account for the 8 hours difference in battery life for just 3 hours of usage and the rest in standby lol.

Not bashing on android. It's just the truth. But personally I prefer the android method of a little less battery life, faster app resumes for my tablet.

For a phone I use daily, I would prefer longer battery life at the expense of a little longer app resumes. Which is why I have an android tablet and windows phone. Love the combo :)

Try a little experiment.
Play video or do browsing for an hour in your phone.
First at Low Brightness
Second at Medium Brightness (or whatever you like or if your phone have brightness slider then try with that)

and then check how much that experiment drain your phone battery.(in both cases)
and if possible check standby time too in both cases

33% more brightness isn't as small as you think.

Last edited:

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Try a little experiment.
Play video or do browsing for an hour in your phone.
First at Low Brightness
Second at Medium Brightness (or whatever you like or if your phone have brightness slider then try with that)

and then check how much that experiment drain your phone battery.(in both cases)
and if possible check standby time too in both cases

33% more brightness isn't as small as you think.

I'll have to try sometime then. Probably will try on my android tablet since my WP doesn't have brightness slider.
I will say this though, from experience. I agree that 33% more brightness will affect in the long run. But I don't think three hours of usage at 33% more brightness will affect the battery life by 8 hours.

Funnily enough that it's roughly the amount of brightness I vary my tablet by. When it gets dark out, from a around 9-12, (I study on my tablet) I reduce the brightness all the way.

In the afternoon when I get back from college, I play for at least 2 hours on my tablet at 30-35% brightness(the game is summomers wars, awesome game, must try if you have android or ios!)
I've never noticed that high of a difference in battery consumption

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
With android it really depends on the device .
I think Kitkat is very efficient.
I have a 2012 Nexus tablet running 4.4.2 Kitkat.
When I bought my new LG phone I didn't use my tablet much.
Here are some specs off a single charge.

Idle 18 days 21 hours 35 minutes.
Screen on time 2 hours 16 minutes, mostly gaming and file transfer.
20 percent charge left.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
and still, apps cannot be saved to the sd card if they use widgets. Go windows phone!

Slightly funny is the fact that Windows Phone couldn't save any apps to the memory card too, just a little while ago, and I didn't see any of you not buying it because of this one specific feature.

Anyways regardless you can move most, even if not all, apps to the SD card. And app sizes on Android are usually smaller than competing OSes.

Android is clearly in the lead in terms of functionality. There is no question about that, however, WP is just easier to use really. It's like the mid point between iOS and android with a balance of speed and features. I just wish that microsoft could advertise WP more and make the meda talk about it more. Most people know that is has an 'app gap'. That's it. They don't know what apps are missing or what it can do.

Gosh. The easier to use argument.

Simply put, no. Windows Phone is not easier to use, Android and Windows Phone stand equally in ease of use.

This is because they both offer a balance. If you are an advanced user you can pin live tiles or widgets, or just the app tray on both simply.

It's a myth that Android isn't easy to use. It is, especially with more modern versions.

windows phone already has 64bit support(alcatel is selling a phone with a snapdragon 410. Through GDR updates, more chipsets are supported. 60fps Animations? Really? How does that help the customer in anyway. Battery life concerns however it could be optimised. We already have burst modes, including 8mp. We got that with 8.1. In terms of graphics, it's te developers fault that graphics are better on the android version. However they are alright, look at lumia 930/1520 gaming on youtube. Direct X 12 is coming too. We have kids corner and a mode that allows the phone to be used as if it was a demo phone in a store introduced in 8.1 update 1. 8.1 enabled bitlocker encryption. All the other features are things people can live without.

Oh. My. God.

If you really want to talk like that, then yes Android also has support for 64 bit. I've ran an Android emulator on my 64 bit laptop, and the Desire 510 and Desire 820 use 64 bit processors.

However both Android and Windows Phone(to the best of my knowledge) didn't have 64 bit apps to help the phones. Android Lollipop will change that, and even if 3rd party devs don't optimize their apps, all Stock apps will be 64 bit (Chrome, Keep, etc). Also most apps that are in Java will already be 64 bit optimised.

The people that have used Lollipop developer preview on their Nexus 5(and 4) have reported that the 60 FPS animations do make a huge difference in the smoothness in day to day usage.

Plus last I checked Windows Phone had a ****ty 2.1 megapixel burst mode, seriously go into Microsoft camera and take a burst and later go check the EXIF data of the image, I'm pretty sure it's going to be less than 3MP. And Windows Phone's burst mode is also limited to 10-15 FPS.

We'll Android Lollipop has the most advanced burst mode I've ever come across, depending on your processor you can get an 8MP 30 FPS burst mode, how cool is that?

If I am not wrong Android has support for DirectX as well, but they are also adding OpenGLES 3.1(with a host of other improvements for graphics).

But that's not all, Android partnered up with Nvidia to get the Tegra K1(arguably one of the fastest SOCs out there) which promises console quality graphics is on the Nexus 9. Google went the extra step to get such a powerful SOC on their platform.

Kid's corner, to the best of my knowledge, isn't at all useful if you want to lend someone your phone for a quick phone call.

Lastly you dismissed all features as things people can live without, we'll guess what we can also "live" without smartphones.

Extra useful features are always a nice addition. There are other additions, such as an ambient display mode which lights up the device whenever you hold it in your hand(and you have notifications).

No. Once again: Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone. I was actually waiting for someone to try to make this argument. It doesn't matter if an Android OEM does put a 4000mAH battery in their device. You know why? Windows Phone OEMs can do the same. It's already been proven running the same hardware, Windows Phone has better battery life. Also, that entire point was about Android (which is an OS; i.e software), so bringing up bigger batteries isn't a very valid point.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to address this point. So, you give your phone to others to make a call and then walk away? Are these strangers, or people you know? In any case, it isn't very smart to leave your phone with anyone unattended, especially those that are untrustworthy. I'll chalk this up to user-error.

Don't allow personal feelings to cloud reasoning and judgment. Android is insecure. It has the worst security of the big three mobile OS. Malware in the Google Play Store is prevalent, and an issue. Anti-malware apps are recommended. Face facts. I said before and I'll say it again: you're trading security for freedom.

As for the WP case, it's true that the same amount of effort to get malware onto Android devices doesn't go into getting it on WP devices. However, it's also much harder to do so. Between the required UEFI support, limited side-loading abilities, application isolation, limited ability to run applications in the background, and the application approval process just to get in the WP Store, it's infinitely harder to get malware on a WP device. Again, face facts: WP has much better security than Android, even without encryption.

There are reasons I didn't mention these. ART isn't a big deal, as cool as it is. 60 FPS animations, I doubt are a consistent 60. Lock screen notifications are pretty ridiculous. Why would you want your notifications on your lock screen for anyone to see? It's good there's different levels for how much info you want displayed, though. I won't discuss graphics since you seem incapable of separating your opinions from facts. As for 64-bit hardware, I read about some WP device being released with the Snapdragon 410 SoC, but that really isn't surprising, considering 64-bit hardware is capable of running 32-bit code. As for support for 64-bit applications, well, the majority of developers will continue to create 32-bit apps, seeing as how they aren't even taking advantage of the multiple cores already, which is to say, the majority of applications don't need the extra power.
Anyway, time to face reality, bud.

First of all if your are on a table with friends, or maybe after a game of football(or some other game or event) someone is bound to ask for your phone to make a call and they might just(as a joke) head into your SMS or maybe one of your other apps. For these situations a guest mode will be extremely useful.

Plus we aren't arguing on what an OEM can or can not do, if battery life is someone's main concern with a smartphone, Android would still be the place to be(because Android OEMs outpace anyone else with the battery capacity).

Also could you please show me where anti virus apps are recommended?

Also lockscreen notifications on Android can be explicitly told not to show sensitive information, they are a useful feature. Android's lockscreen dialer shortcut and power toggles are also way more useful.

Also I'm pretty sure you haven't ever used an Android device, because switching to ART does made a huge difference in general performance. Also 60 FPS are pretty consistent, go try a developer preview on a Nexus.

Also Windows Phone and Android could run 64 bit hardware before(because it's backward compatible with 32 bit) however neither had any 64 bit apps to speak of. We'll that changes soon, Android stock apps will be 64 bit and apps on the Play Store coded with Java will also be 64 bit(without any modifications).

Graphics are something you can't really argue about, they've always been a weakness of Windows Phone in gaming.

Lastly games(and some apps) do take advantage of more than two cores, and I have proof of this by monitoring CPU usage. I would also see if Windows Phone could use more than two cores, but I can't find an app to monitor CPU/GPU usage. :(

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, ART is a big deal. Not only does it increase framerate by a ridiculous ammount, it increases battery life of the OS considerably.
ART would be a big deal if performance was already insufferable, which it isn't. Don't get me wrong, it's great that Dalvik is being replaced with something more efficient, and more modern, but it honestly isn't that impressive.
Yeah, because catching a glimpse of important emails and other notifications without having to unlock my device is utterly ridiculous, and I don't understand why anyone would want to do that.

Wow, you're reaching really far here to turn this function into a useless negative.
I can't call it "useless", but from a security standpoint, it is a negative.
Apps and games on Android do in fact take advantage of multiple cores, and there are instances on Windows Phone when it would be fantastic to to have the extra power of running a multi-threaded application. This is the future, and because it is happening on Android before it happens on Windows Phone, it is being scoffed at and written off.
Never said apps didn't. And I specifically didn't mention games because if you've ever programmed one before, you'd know that it's usually necessary to use multiple cores. I don't know why you think multi-threading is the future, since it's been around in desktop programs for years upon years now, or why you think WP apps aren't multi-threaded, but no one is "scoffing" and "writing it off".

The reality that I see is, that any time there is an advancement or new feature that is added to Android, the Windows Phone hardcore elite are quick to label it as "ridiculous" and "unnecessary." Particularly in the case of something that Windows Phone doesn't have, it is written off with a quick "we don't need that." Just like quad-core cpu's and more than 512mb of system ram. These were things that Windows Phone users insisted that Windows Phone did not need. Until they got them of course...then they were great.
That happens by the Fandroids as well as the Crapple users too, not to mention every possible thing someone could be opinionated about. Quad-core processors are unnecessary when no apps take advantage of it. It's a wasted resource. As long as there are apps that actually need the extra power, and use it, it is, by definition, necessary. Anything more than 512MB of RAM on WP is unnecessary. The OS is so well optimized, devices really don't need more RAM. There are some games and apps that need a bit more RAM though, so in certain cases, it is necessary.

On Android, a mobile OS that has true multi-tasking, more RAM is very necessary. Just like on a computer, low amounts of RAM and lots of background processes slows it down.
It's awesome to be a user of multiple platforms, it makes you appreciate the difference in every one of them. They are all unique in different ways, and I don't see the logic in liking one and bitterly hating another. I love iOS, Android, and Windows Phone about equally, and I personally don't care what anyone here thinks about that.
The way you've been attacking WP would suggest otherwise. You come off as though Android is the only OS that makes any sense, and all other OS need to be destroyed. You come off as a Fandroid.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
The people that have used Lollipop developer preview on their Nexus 5(and 4) have reported that the 60 FPS animations do make a huge difference in the smoothness in day to day usage.
Never said it didn't. If you read my post, I said I doubt it's a consistent 60.
Plus last I checked Windows Phone had a ****ty 2.1 megapixel burst mode, seriously go into Microsoft camera and take a burst and later go check the EXIF data of the image, I'm pretty sure it's going to be less than 3MP. And Windows Phone's burst mode is also limited to 10-15 FPS.

We'll Android Lollipop has the most advanced burst mode I've ever come across, depending on your processor you can get an 8MP 30 FPS burst mode, how cool is that?
Not sure why you're quoting me for this one, when I never mentioned burst modes.
But that's not all, Android partnered up with Nvidia to get the Tegra K1(arguably one of the fastest SOCs out there) which promises console quality graphics is on the Nexus 9. Google went the extra step to get such a powerful SOC on their platform.
Android (or rather Google you should say, since Android is a piece of software) didn't "partner up" with Nvidia to get the Tegra K1. The Nexus 9 is made by HTC (along with Google). I'm sure HTC had some say in the hardware. Also, Windows OEMs are free to use the Tegra K1 in their tablets as well. Google didn't take any "extra step" to get the K1, anyone is free to use it. It isn't exclusive to any OS.
Kid's corner, to the best of my knowledge, isn't at all useful if you want to lend someone your phone for a quick phone call.
You do realize Kid's Corner and the Guest Profile on Android 5.0 work just about the same way right? They both limit what someone can do with your phone. I can't speak for others, but I wouldn't go through the hassle of locking the screen to the dialer just to hand it to someone to make a call. Especially if I'm standing right there.
Lastly you dismissed all features as things people can live without, we'll guess what we can also "live" without smartphones.
Extra useful features are always a nice addition. There are other additions, such as an ambient display mode which lights up the device whenever you hold it in your hand(and you have notifications).
We can live without smartphones, and extra features are always nice to have. As long as they're useful features.
First of all if your are on a table with friends, or maybe after a game of football(or some other game or event) someone is bound to ask for your phone to make a call and they might just(as a joke) head into your SMS or maybe one of your other apps. For these situations a guest mode will be extremely useful.
Again, I wouldn't go through the hassle of locking my screen to the dialer just to hand it to someone so they can make a call. I don't know who you hang around, but no one has ever went through my phone after I allow them to make a call. I can see the benefit of the guest profile, if you aren't going to be around them while they use your phone, but who shares their phones with others long enough to warrant a guest profile?

Plus we aren't arguing on what an OEM can or can not do, if battery life is someone's main concern with a smartphone, Android would still be the place to be(because Android OEMs outpace anyone else with the battery capacity).
You say we aren't arguing on what an OEM can or can't do, but then proceed to talk about it... So, since you insist, Android has no advantage over WP in terms of battery life. OEMs are free to put whatever size battery in their phones running either OS.
Also lockscreen notifications on Android can be explicitly told not to show sensitive information, they are a useful feature. Android's lockscreen dialer shortcut and power toggles are also way more useful.
Already stated that in my post.
Also I'm pretty sure you haven't ever used an Android device, because switching to ART does made a huge difference in general performance. Also 60 FPS are pretty consistent, go try a developer preview on a Nexus.
I have used Android devices, but that's besides the point. At this point, new runtimes like ART, more optimizations, etc only shave a few seconds off performance. Latency is one thing, but for general performance, how many people actually care that their apps open two seconds sooner? If the app is taking a minute to open, no one cares if it only takes 58 seconds the next time. If the app takes 5 seconds to open, no one cares if it takes 3 seconds to open the next time.
Also Windows Phone and Android could run 64 bit hardware before(because it's backward compatible with 32 bit) however neither had any 64 bit apps to speak of. We'll that changes soon, Android stock apps will be 64 bit and apps on the Play Store coded with Java will also be 64 bit(without any modifications).
Stated this too in my post. Also, all Android apps are programmed in Java. Even those that use C++ still use Java.
Graphics are something you can't really argue about, they've always been a weakness of Windows Phone in gaming.
Android released in 2008, so developers have had 6 years to get used to optimizing for it. They haven't had the same amount of time for WP. Not that I notice a difference in the first place.
Lastly games(and some apps) do take advantage of more than two cores, and I have proof of this by monitoring CPU usage. I would also see if Windows Phone could use more than two cores, but I can't find an app to monitor CPU/GPU usage. :(
Never said they don't. And yes, WP can use more than two cores. You don't even need a CPU/GPU usage monitor to know this. Not that you'll find one anyway, considering WP limits the amount of background processes.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
This is really stupid. Android 5.0 is a big deal. Android cannot use direct x, it uses open GL instead. There is no such thing a as a better operating system, only one that is better for you. Almost all of us use windows because it caters for our needs. Most people use android because it caters for almost everyone's need with all the features it has. Gimmicky or not people still use them and love them. The only people that won't love it is the security conscious: other platforms(us).

The reason for all these myths about android are because of previous experiences with the old android versions of phones. The new phones are actually good and can do way more than any windows phone can. If android 5.0 is released with good reviews, I'm considering getting a android(again). Lag only occurs when you buy the wrong android. Use a phone like the moto G, htc one m8, LG G3, they are amazing. I really don't like these myths of android especially since how WP only has around 2.7% market share.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No. Once again: Android will never compare in battery life to iOS and Windows Phone. I was actually waiting for someone to try to make this argument. It doesn't matter if an Android OEM does put a 4000mAH battery in their device. You know why? Windows Phone OEMs can do the same. It's already been proven running the same hardware, Windows Phone has better battery life. Also, that entire point was about Android (which is an OS; i.e software), so bringing up bigger batteries isn't a very valid point.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to address this point. So, you give your phone to others to make a call and then walk away? Are these strangers, or people you know? In any case, it isn't very smart to leave your phone with anyone unattended, especially those that are untrustworthy. I'll chalk this up to user-error.

Don't allow personal feelings to cloud reasoning and judgment. Android is insecure. It has the worst security of the big three mobile OS. Malware in the Google Play Store is prevalent, and an issue. Anti-malware apps are recommended. Face facts. I said before and I'll say it again: you're trading security for freedom.

As for the WP case, it's true that the same amount of effort to get malware onto Android devices doesn't go into getting it on WP devices. However, it's also much harder to do so. Between the required UEFI support, limited side-loading abilities, application isolation, limited ability to run applications in the background, and the application approval process just to get in the WP Store, it's infinitely harder to get malware on a WP device. Again, face facts: WP has much better security than Android, even without encryption.

There are reasons I didn't mention these. ART isn't a big deal, as cool as it is. 60 FPS animations, I doubt are a consistent 60. Lock screen notifications are pretty ridiculous. Why would you want your notifications on your lock screen for anyone to see? It's good there's different levels for how much info you want displayed, though. I won't discuss graphics since you seem incapable of separating your opinions from facts. As for 64-bit hardware, I read about some WP device being released with the Snapdragon 410 SoC, but that really isn't surprising, considering 64-bit hardware is capable of running 32-bit code. As for support for 64-bit applications, well, the majority of developers will continue to create 32-bit apps, seeing as how they aren't even taking advantage of the multiple cores already, which is to say, the majority of applications don't need the extra power.
Anyway, time to face reality, bud.
Ya lock screen notification is useless at least for me.I want my lock screen to be simple nd uncluttered with notification. I like wp in that regard.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Slightly funny is the fact that Windows Phone couldn't save any apps to the memory card too, just a little while ago, and I didn't see any of you not buying it because of this one specific feature.

Anyways regardless you can move most, even if not all, apps to the SD card. And app sizes on Android are usually smaller than competing OSes.

Gosh. The easier to use argument.

Simply put, no. Windows Phone is not easier to use, Android and Windows Phone stand equally in ease of use.

This is because they both offer a balance. If you are an advanced user you can pin live tiles or widgets, or just the app tray on both simply.

It's a myth that Android isn't easy to use. It is, especially with more modern versions.

Oh. My. God.

If you really want to talk like that, then yes Android also has support for 64 bit. I've ran an Android emulator on my 64 bit laptop, and the Desire 510 and Desire 820 use 64 bit processors.

However both Android and Windows Phone(to the best of my knowledge) didn't have 64 bit apps to help the phones. Android Lollipop will change that, and even if 3rd party devs don't optimize their apps, all Stock apps will be 64 bit (Chrome, Keep, etc). Also most apps that are in Java will already be 64 bit optimised.

If I am not wrong Android has support for DirectX as well, but they are also adding OpenGLES 3.1(with a host of other improvements for graphics).

Also could you please show me where anti virus apps are recommended?

False installing apps on SD ability has been taken by android since jellybean.for installing app to SD you need to root nd partition your SD card.For wp it works out of box.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
This is really stupid. Android 5.0 is a big deal. Android cannot use direct x, it uses open GL instead. There is no such thing a as a better operating system, only one that is better for you. Almost all of us use windows because it caters for our needs. Most people use android because it caters for almost everyone's need with all the features it has. Gimmicky or not people still use them and love them. The only people that won't love it is the security conscious: other platforms(us).

The reason for all these myths about android are because of previous experiences with the old android versions of phones. The new phones are actually good and can do way more than any windows phone can. If android 5.0 is released with good reviews, I'm considering getting a android(again). Lag only occurs when you buy the wrong android. Use a phone like the moto G, htc one m8, LG G3, they are amazing. I really don't like these myths of android especially since how WP only has around 2.7% market share.
Read this. And post something that will help, not fuel a fan war

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Grow up, and learn to engage in debate without the Ad Hominem attacks. It's precious that you accuse me of being a ******, all the while using words like that as part of your vocabulary.

"Precious", huh? Its understandable you'd misinterpret. I never called you a ******. Don't always assume the worst. To clarify, I meant, by the sound of your posts, you sound like a ******. I didn't accuse you of being one. You simply have been acting like one. So, let's drop this "grow up" crap. Calling someone a child through the saying of "grow up", is ironically, childish in itself.

Kazekage1981

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Let google have its moment with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Android has always been a fragmented and choppy running OS. Next year MS will destroy it with Windows 10 Phones. (along with Windows 10 OS for desktop, tablets, Xbox one etc). One thing with android devices: its always a pissing contest with hardware specs. How much power/sh*t do you need to run android base device anyways? Multicore pissy processors, Big Giant Turd GPUs, Gigabuttkisses of RAM, 6000x3456P Ultra Mega Supra YOMAMALED display to make a phone call, text message and web browse? Samsung being the worst offender: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 that will massage your *** (after 1.5 years it starts to run like sh*t). I am happy with my HTC One M8 Windows 8.1 purchase. Simple OS, buttery smooth, great features. Although I kinda miss the animations of windows 7. I know my phone has the hardware specs to run windows 10.

Speaking of hardware specs, How much do the OS's memory RAM footprint take up? Iphones are 1 GIG of RAM, Windows phones are 2 GIGs (at most). How much RAM do you really need here? PS3, and Xbox360 both have 512 MB of RAM, and can display amazing graphics with decent interfaces.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Let google have its moment with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Android has always been a fragmented and choppy running OS. Next year MS will destroy it with Windows 10 Phones. (along with Windows 10 OS for desktop, tablets, Xbox one etc). One thing with android devices: its always a pissing contest with hardware specs. How much power/sh*t do you need to run android base device anyways? Multicore pissy processors, Big Giant Turd GPUs, Gigabuttkisses of RAM, 6000x3456P Ultra Mega Supra YOMAMALED display to make a phone call, text message and web browse? Samsung being the worst offender: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 that will massage your *** (after 1.5 years it starts to run like sh*t). I am happy with my HTC One M8 Windows 8.1 purchase. Simple OS, buttery smooth, great features. Although I kinda miss the animations of windows 7. I know my phone has the hardware specs to run windows 10.

Speaking of hardware specs, How much do the OS's memory RAM footprint take up? Iphones are 1 GIG of RAM, Windows phones are 2 GIGs (at most). How much RAM do you really need here? PS3, and Xbox360 both have 512 MB of RAM, and can display amazing graphics with decent interfaces.

Honestly speaking, I'm going to give you a peaceful reply but what you've said could easily aggravate anyone.

Android may have once been an OS that ran choppy, all that has changed and I can confidentially say that in a lot of ways it is today faster than Windows Phone.

Secondly you people keep blowing the fragmentation issue out of proportion, there are hundreds of more Android devices out there and ensuring updates for all of them isn't easy. Secondly a lot of consumers don't care about updates, they just like using their phone as it is.

But just to put it into perspective, the latest stable version of Android recently was Android KitKat which runs on 25% of active Android devices, those 25% of Android devices that run KitKat outnumber the total number of Windows Phones out there being used by people.

Okay moving onwards, I like to see that WP users have high hopes but every year you think that the next version of Windows Phone will crush Android. Simply put, it will not. The pace at which Android moves will always put it ahead of Windows Phone, and no Windows 10 is no silver bullet and no it will probably not even manage to put a dent in Android's popularity.

About the specifcations, you can act that Windows Phone doesn't need them but it does. When Android went ahead with the move to 1080p panels, I'm pretty Windows Phone users we're talking about how they didn't need them. Simply put phones, especially high end bigger screen ones need higher resolution panels to provide users with sharper text. You can bet your *** that if Samsung hadn't made the Note series, or if Android hadn't moved to 1080p panels, the Lumia 1520 wouldn't be a fraction of what it is today.

And just because SOC manufacturers like Qualcomm and Nvidia like to powerful specifications in Android, doesn't mean Android doesn't run smoothly on low end devices.

Your RAM argument and core argument is highly flawed, you seem to know very little if anything at all about processors work. But just to put your statement into perspective, and argue with the logic that you have, Google recently released a dual core "flagship" tablet with 2 GB of RAM(when you state that Android needs 3GB). The Moto E even runs decent with 1GB of RAM, but Windows Phone doesn't because you'll often see the dreaded "resuming" message.

Lastly PS3 and Xbox powered a 720p displays mostly, they needed less horsepower. Android devices, and even Windows Phone devices, need more powerful processor packages because they run 1080 and 2K displays(which are mandatory depending on screen sizes).

For god's sakes educate yourself a tiny bit more before arguing on a public forum.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

This whole statement is just as ignorant as people saying "Windows Phone has NO Apps!"...just to clear that up. And i love how you can read the future, ASSUMING Windows 10 will "destory" Android is basically how many WP fanboys (read carefully, i didnt say Users or preferred OS users) been living, like i was, for 3 years...eagerly waiting. Im hoping W10 turns the tide and shows Android/iOS how things should be done and sets a standard...but as ive been saying for months now...ill believe it when i see it. For the record, many 1GB Android devices run flawless on Kitkat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans